Moderator: Doctor MJ

Basketball Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Are Statheads the NBA's secret weapon? 

Post#1 » by Basketball Fan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:26 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 33264.html

By DAVID BIDERMAN

NBA teams are increasingly hiring employees whose sole responsibility is to analyze data. Obviously, we don't have any philosophical problem with that. But here's a question: Does it actually make a difference in how teams play?
[COUNT_fixed] NBAE/Getty Images

Head coach Scott Brooks of the Oklahoma City Thunder

According to interviews with every team, The Wall Street Journal found that half the league's teams this season have at least one of these statisticians who helps make in-game, draft-day and trade-deadline decisions. Many of these teams are among the NBA's best. The list accounts for all six division leaders, including the Orlando Magic and Dallas Mavericks, who have a data analyst traveling with the team. These 15 teams that have invested heavily in statistics have combined to win 59.3% of their games this season. The 15 teams without such analysts have won 40.7% of their games, and only three—the Phoenix Suns, Utah Jazz and Atlanta Hawks—are on pace to make the postseason. Houston Rockets' general manager Daryl Morey, one of the pioneers of statistical analysis in the NBA, says more teams will soon come over to the quant side.

Of course, there are plenty of veteran basketball decision-makers who don't believe that stats are the only key to success. They'll tell you the difference in winning percentages has less to do with statistical analysis than with statistical freaks. "If you took LeBron off the Cavaliers, you could give them 10,000 number crunchers, and it wouldn't make a difference," says David Kahn, the Minnesota Timberwolves' president of basketball operations. David Biderman
heh8me2
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Are Statheads the NBA's secret weapon? 

Post#2 » by heh8me2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Basketball Fan wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704869304575109723724933264.html

By DAVID BIDERMAN

NBA teams are increasingly hiring employees whose sole responsibility is to analyze data. Obviously, we don't have any philosophical problem with that. But here's a question: Does it actually make a difference in how teams play?

According to interviews with every team, The Wall Street Journal found that half the league's teams this season have at least one of these statisticians who helps make in-game, draft-day and trade-deadline decisions. Many of these teams are among the NBA's best. The list accounts for all six division leaders, including the Orlando Magic and Dallas Mavericks, who have a data analyst traveling with the team. These 15 teams that have invested heavily in statistics have combined to win 59.3% of their games this season. The 15 teams without such analysts have won 40.7% of their games, and only three—the Phoenix Suns, Utah Jazz and Atlanta Hawks—are on pace to make the postseason. Houston Rockets' general manager Daryl Morey, one of the pioneers of statistical analysis in the NBA, says more teams will soon come over to the quant side.

Of course, there are plenty of veteran basketball decision-makers who don't believe that stats are the only key to success. They'll tell you the difference in winning percentages has less to do with statistical analysis than with statistical freaks. "If you took LeBron off the Cavaliers, you could give them 10,000 number crunchers, and it wouldn't make a difference," says David Kahn, the Minnesota Timberwolves' president of basketball operations. David Biderman

my thoughts exactly. its a nice thing to have but stat geeks are making way too big a deal out of it so they can get jobs
Ripp
General Manager
And1: 324

Post#3 » by Ripp » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:02 pm

David Kahn is an idiot. It still makes sense to use your resources as efficiently as possible, whether you have Lebron or not. Statistics can help you do that.
A Tolkienesque strategy war game made by me: http://www.warlords.co
Sting3r
Head Coach
And1: 209

Post#4 » by Sting3r » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:04 pm

and? Towel boys need jobs too. IF its giving results then they should make it a big deal. Were not talking about hollinger stats were per determines who's the best player is. Their is some correlation of having hard solid stats and how your team plays.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#5 » by raleigh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Ripp wrote:David Kahn is an idiot. It still makes sense to use your resources as efficiently as possible, whether you have Lebron or not. Statistics can help you do that.

Agreed. That's an incredibly stupid quote on his part. I clicked on the article just to make sure it was really there.
BBall_IQ
Junior
And1: 76

Post#6 » by BBall_IQ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Why do you think Vegas is so good at picking lines
heh8me2
Junior

Post#7 » by heh8me2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 pm

i still think they are overstating their worth
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#8 » by Spicy P » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:51 pm

heh8me2 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704869304575109723724933264.html

By DAVID BIDERMAN

my thoughts exactly. its a nice thing to have but stat geeks are making way too big a deal out of it so they can get jobs

Sorry, but David Kahn is a moron. It's not like the statisticians are playing the games on the court like Lebron. They're used to analyze things from a quantitative perspective and to make decisions. Don't see how that guy is comparing the two. It's not like it's a substitute for players. It complements the basketball team. It's not a coincidence that teams using these guys have a 60% win percentage. Doesn't hurt to have them.
ARISE_CHICKEN
Senior
And1: 238

Post#9 » by ARISE_CHICKEN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:54 pm

The fact that 15 teams in the NBA don't have dedicated statistical analysis is mindblowing. I can't believe these people are professionals at what they do.

I would love to see the defensive rankings of those teams without "statheads" because statistics alone can improve a defense by a huge margin. How else are you supposed to know the efficiency of certain shots, calculate player hot and cold zones, see percentages of times people drive right and left? How can teams even play defense without taking these things into account?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#10 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Boston: .635
Cavs: .769
Orlando: .697
Dallas: .682
Denver: .672
Lakers: .723
Rockets: .508
Average: .670

What teams are weighing that down to a .593?
Why not say those teams?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#11 » by azuresou1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 pm

The teams that have quants also tend to be the teams that already have competent GMs though, who in turn draft/trade for competent players.

Not to mention that quants often get lost in their own worlds and make dumb statements like saying they wouldn't take Kevin Durant for free on their team because he has a negative +/-.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#12 » by killbuckner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Shocking that having smart people instead of dumb people make decisions is better.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#13 » by john2jer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:19 pm

It's funny that so many of you idiots in this forum called Kahn an idiot for one sentence. Do you really think that was the only sentence that he provided to the question?

The Wolves have actually been very active with advanced stats and stat geeks.

Do you dispute what he said? If LeBron wasn't on the Cavs would stat geeks make that much of a difference? No, the Cavs would be terrible without him. Kahn never said they didn't have stat geeks, never said they were pointless, or anything of that matter.

His point was talent ultimately wins games, stats just help the process.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Ripp
General Manager
And1: 324

Post#14 » by Ripp » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 pm

azuresou1 wrote:The teams that have quants also tend to be the teams that already have competent GMs though, who in turn draft/trade for competent players.

Not to mention that quants often get lost in their own worlds and make dumb statements like saying they wouldn't take Kevin Durant for free on their team because he has a negative +/-.

That was Wayne Winston..he is mostly reviled as a dumbass.
A Tolkienesque strategy war game made by me: http://www.warlords.co
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#15 » by Aaron It Out » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 pm

john2jer wrote:It's funny that so many of you idiots in this forum called Kahn an idiot for one sentence. Do you really think that was the only sentence that he provided to the question?

I know someone who worked in the Wolves front office and he himself said that Kahn is a moron and has no business running and NBA team.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#16 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:32 pm

azuresou1 wrote:The teams that have quants also tend to be the teams that already have competent GMs though, who in turn draft/trade for competent players.

Great point. Correlation does not prove causation.
wreck
Banned User

Post#17 » by wreck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:33 pm

As much as people around this forum make fun of statistics and guys like Hollinger, it is funny to see that all 6 division leaders employ some type of quantitative analysis guru on the team to help make decisions.

With so much human emotion and knowledge based on propaganda reported by ESPN or gut feelings, which are normally wrong, it isn't a surprise that the objective minded teams are achieving more success these days.
The Shiv
Banned User

Post#18 » by The Shiv » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:33 pm

If Morey is such a genius then why aren't the rockets in the playoff race?
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#19 » by john2jer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm

RJay715 wrote:
john2jer wrote:It's funny that so many of you idiots in this forum called Kahn an idiot for one sentence. Do you really think that was the only sentence that he provided to the question?

I know someone who worked in the Wolves front office and he himself said that Kahn is a moron and has no business running and NBA team.

Really??? That's totally awesome, but I'm best friends with Jerry West's barber, and he says that Jerry says David Kahn is a genius and will revolutionalize the NBA.

Get out of here with that garbage. Most of the Wolves front office staff is similar to what was working under McHale. So you're "friends" with McHale or one of his lackeys? How'd McHale work out for the Wolves?

1. I think you're full of it on knowing anyone.
2. Even if you did, the credibility of your "source" is non-existent.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#20 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

I don't know any insiders who can comment on David Kahn.

But looking at his decisions since getting the job, he has no business running an NBA team. Although, he still gets a few more years to fix things, obviously.

Return to Statistical Analysis