How many games will be on TV?

C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,103

Re: How many games will be on TV? 

Post#21 » by C Court » Thu Jul 7, 2011 12:16 pm

spykelee wrote:That's basically how I thought it would play out if we where going the regional route. Though I thought they may give all of Saskatchewan, as oppose to cutting it in half. Being the one responsible for enforcing those blackouts, and making sure the right people are seeing the appropriate things, I can tell you I'm not terribly ecstatic about having Ontario divided into 3 parts, and Alberta and Saskatchewan both into two... That's a huge, huge pain in the ass for me.

Northern Saskatchewan including Saskatoon is primarily Oilers country. Regina west supports the Flames.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#22 » by SCF99 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I never understand when on my bell dish i get games blacked out from Alberta or ont. I would put these gamethinking i caould may be get into these teams (thats is before the jets came back) only to find them blacked out. What gives? It is not as if i am going to jump in my car and go to the areana and watch the game cause i cant see it on TV cause i live in Manitoba
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#23 » by spykelee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:36 am

Answer: All of them

Though only 26 of them appear to be available nationally. 21 on CBC and 5 on TSN.

The remaining 55 games are supposedly part of a "regional" broadcast license which would imply sportsnet, but it hasn't been formally announced one way or the other yet. And still no information on whether the games would be on Sportsnet West or Sportsnet Ontario, assuming they are the regional carrier.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#24 » by YogiStewart » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 am

spykelee wrote:Answer: All of them

Though only 26 of them appear to be available nationally. 21 on CBC and 5 on TSN.

The remaining 55 games are supposedly part of a "regional" broadcast license which would imply sportsnet, but it hasn't been formally announced one way or the other yet. And still no information on whether the games would be on Sportsnet West or Sportsnet Ontario, assuming they are the regional carrier.

how will the CBC feeds work?
like, living in Toronto, we're stuck w/the Leafs feed. I don't think we can even time shift to, for example, the Mtl feed.
so if the Jets play at the same time as Toronto, will be we forced to watch the Leafs' feed?
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by spykelee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:24 am

YogiStewart wrote:
spykelee wrote:Answer: All of them

how will the CBC feeds work?
like, living in Toronto, we're stuck w/the Leafs feed. I don't think we can even time shift to, for example, the Mtl feed.
so if the Jets play at the same time as Toronto, will be we forced to watch the Leafs' feed?

The CBC has national rights and regional channels. This allows them to carry Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg games at the same time, on there region specific channels, without any blackouts. Unlike Sportsnet, which only has regional rights, CBC does not have to adhere to the NHL's blackouts, because they have a national license... long and short answer, if you tune into CBC Winnipeg, you should be able to see the Jets games there, no matter where you reside in Canada. But CBC Toronto will still carry the leafs and RDS will still carry Montreal.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#26 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:42 pm

I'll be attending the January 21st game vs. the Panthers. Look for the handsome guy behind the penalty box. 8-)
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by spykelee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Rumor has it that TSN is actually going to be getting the remaining 55 regional games... Which doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. As far as I can tell, they only have 2 channels, and having had the national rights they wont have any of the regional boundaries or guidelines in place. Not only for Winnipeg, but for Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto or Ottawa... all of which would factor in to Winnipeg's territory.

It's funny, the Jets are a very hot commodity, but with the regional broadcast, the marketplace or ratings associated with it, are only in the 250,000 ish range, which actually makes it not that hot of a property... which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense I know, but that's the way it works when everything get's divded into specific territories. Nationally the Jets are huge, but regionally, there just isn't the population to back it up.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#28 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:13 pm

TSN Jets just announced.

10 year deal for 60 regional games each season. Channel will be available only in Winnipeg's regional territory.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by YogiStewart » Thu Sep 1, 2011 7:17 pm

and Beyak left Toronto radio to move to Wpg to call TV and radio.
take that, TORONTO!!!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by spykelee » Fri Sep 2, 2011 3:33 am

LittleOzzy wrote:TSN Jets just announced.

10 year deal for 60 regional games each season. Channel will be available only in Winnipeg's regional territory.

Yea crazy news on a 10 year deal... WOW. So TSN is going to go ahead and launch a companion jets channel. Same thing Sportsnet has already done with the Canucks, Oilers, Flames and Sens.

Given all the headaches that are going to go into regionalizing those Jets games, can't say I'll be dissapointed to not be dealing with it. Though with a 10 year deal, once you get the kinks worked out, that's going to a nice arrangement for sure.

So you Jets fans should be able to just go ahead and order this companion channel and get most of your games there or on CBC...
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#31 » by MrBojangelz71 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Looks like Shaw pissed around on picking up the TSN Jets channel and now they wont have the 1st preseaon game tonight. Seriously this is a major disapoinment, enough to make me consider changing my cable provider. This will be the 1st official NHL game in Winnipeg in 15 years, and SHAW won't be showing it. Way to pinch a few dollars at the expense of your customers.

Shaw Customers Miss Out

Local cable provider Shaw Communications which scored with local NHL fans when it announced Friday it will carry regionally broadcasted Jets games this season have now hit a snag as it seems due to technical problem they will not be able to televise tonight's first pre-season game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Shaw spokesman Karl Miller stated that due to short notice of this announcement and the amount of work involved in getting this done the September 20th game will not be available for Shaw customers. Miller also added that they have received several calls from confused customers who noticed the TSN JETS channel in their menu guide Monday night but was later removed by Shaw technicians Tuesday morning. Shaw Communications is hoping to have all of their technical problems resolved in time for the Jets' next preseason game on Saturday, September 24.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#32 » by MrBojangelz71 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Never mind my last post, co worker made up the article to play a prank on me. It worked.

Anyways, game on tonight, game on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by spykelee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 am

Horrible broadcasting tonight... After the first fight of the game but 30 seconds or so into it.

"Except now Winnipeg is losing two of there top defensemen"...

Are you kidding me? The first pre-season game, in a city that was robbed of there team 15 years ago, and were worried about losing our top 2 defensemen cuz they drop the gloves to get the crowd fired up on the first shift of there first game... Gimmie a break.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by spykelee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 am

and why is the crowd so silent? Should be standing and clapping for at least the first 5 minutes of the game... this isn't Atlanta for god's sake.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by YogiStewart » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 am

for those of us in Toronto who cannot get the feed (for inexplicable reasons) on Bell:

enjoy the game

Return to Winnipeg Jets