ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jeez, Bibby to the Hawks

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 789

Post#61 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 pm

And this is why we have the quote function...

LyricalRico wrote:Mason is clearly a more reliable option

Mason shoots at a higher clip and makes fewer turnovers even though he plays more minutes. Since I don't project Nick to ever be a starter on this team, the question is who's better suited to be the 4th guard on this team. I would gladly choose Mason to fill that role and move Young for another piece.

There's no doubt that Young is bigger, more athletic, and has a picture perfect fadeaway release. (Wait...didn't we just get rid of a guy who had the exact same qualities? Hmmmm...) But I'm not blinded by the flash with zero substance behind it.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#62 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Black hole - White hole - Hibachi - and the man with no name.

We got us some gunners, that's fer sure.

I don't mind NY as a bench player for now. Maybe Ayers can teach him some D. He can create space which is nice for a rookie. He can drive though he is reckless right now. Those are some nice skills. Now if someone can teach him discretion, we may have something.

One problem I see is I think the kid wants to be the next Hibachi. Shoot when you want and no D. I don't mind that as much if he is playing SG or SF as I did someone playing PG.

He is a Ben Gordonish player. Maybe.

I just don't understand what he is being told. It looks like when he is put in the game lately he is given a the green light to ignore the offense. I just can't understand how that makes sense.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#63 » by yungal07 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 pm

I'll tell you why he gets a green light: our offense stinks right now. Last night is a perfect example.

I'm sure once Arenas and Butler come back, he'll play more within the confines of the offense - but until now, he has the green light which is fine by me. I'd rather see him shoot a contested fadeaway than watch AD jack up a brick or see jamison flip a shot from 18 feet away.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,378

Post#64 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:43 am

I would rather keep Young than Roger Mason Jr. Mason who is in his 5th year, is only slightly better than Nick Young and this is mostly due to Young's lack of experience.

Of course, I wouldn't rule out trading Young completely. The Wizards will first have to see if they can lock up Mason for the cheap. But I wouldn't go along with a trade that simply gets rid of a bad contract while not getting a significant addition in return.

Young is only a rookie so I wouldn't expect efficieny to be his strong suit. A player like Kevin Martin shot under 40% in his rookie season but eventually turned out to be a franchise player. Young has the potential to start in this league, the question is how much work he will put in. More than likely, it can be measured by improvement from year after year.

I would also say it's unfair to categorize Young as a malcontent like J.R. Smith. Time will tell if Young can be starter's material in the league. With enough hard work, Young could pull it off.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#65 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:00 pm

yungal07 wrote:I'll tell you why he gets a green light: our offense stinks right now. Last night is a perfect example.

I'm sure once Arenas and Butler come back, he'll play more within the confines of the offense - but until now, he has the green light which is fine by me. I'd rather see him shoot a contested fadeaway than watch AD jack up a brick or see jamison flip a shot from 18 feet away.

Exactly. He won't have this same freedom once CB and Arenas return.

Right now hes our second best scoring option after Antawn. Hes the only player on the team who can create a shot for himself. Thats why Eddie has given him the greenlight.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,964

Post#66 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Young is a 21-year-old rookie playing on a terrible 2nd unit in a complex offense with no point guard and a bunch of young, inexperienced teammates. That's not exactly a recipe for success. Young is doing fine. I can't believe people are rushing to judgment about him after just 48 games.

Young is very good at the things that are hard to teach: one-on-one scoring, length, and athleticism. He's bad at the things that are teachable over time: basketball IQ, defensive principles. He'll pan out just fine. At worst, he's a better version of Dixon. At best, he's Kevin Martin. I'm fine with either scenario.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#67 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:55 pm

nate33 wrote:Young is a 21-year-old rookie playing on a terrible 2nd unit in a complex offense with no point guard and a bunch of young, inexperienced teammates. That's not exactly a recipe for success. Young is doing fine. I can't believe people are rushing to judgment about him after just 48 games.

Young is very good at the things that are hard to teach: one-on-one scoring, length, and athleticism. He's bad at the things that are teachable over time: basketball IQ, defensive principles. He'll pan out just fine. At worst, he's a better version of Dixon. At best, he's Kevin Martin. I'm fine with either scenario.

Yeah, maybe he's Ricky Pierce. I'm willing to bet that he's not a first or second option on a good team though at any point in his career. My point on Young is not that he's useless. My point is that we have an arbitrage opportunity with him. I think the market sees his upside and three more years of a rookie contract and is willing to pay above his "true" value. GM's see Young and fall victim to the hubris of thinking that he'd put it all together in their system with their coaches.

I think it makes much more sense to be patient with the young bigs than it does the one-dimensional scoring 2-guard. I think Young would bring us something good in a trade or allow us to unload something bad -- and the end result would be a net positive for the team.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#68 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:34 pm

fishercob wrote:I'm willing to bet that he's not a first or second option on a good team though at any point in his career. My point on Young is not that he's useless. My point is that we have an arbitrage opportunity with him. I think the market sees his upside and three more years of a rookie contract and is willing to pay above his "true" value. GM's see Young and fall victim to the hubris of thinking that he'd put it all together in their system with their coaches.

I think it makes much more sense to be patient with the young bigs than it does the one-dimensional scoring 2-guard. I think Young would bring us something good in a trade or allow us to unload something bad -- and the end result would be a net positive for the team.

YYYEEESSS!!!

:clap:

Finally, somebody else who sees what I see. That's exactly what I've been saying.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#69 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:32 pm

fishercob wrote: I think the market sees his upside and three more years of a rookie contract and is willing to pay above his "true" value. GM's see Young and fall victim to the hubris of thinking that he'd put it all together in their system with their coaches.

I think Young would bring us something good in a trade or allow us to unload something bad -- and the end result would be a net positive for the team.

Thats all speculation on your part. No one has any idea on how Young is viewed by GM's around the league nor do any of us know what his value is out there.

Theres not a GM dumb enough in this league to bring in Young but take one of our bad contracts with him (Etan and Songaila). Thats just wishful thinking.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#70 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 pm

fishercob wrote:I think it makes much more sense to be patient with the young bigs than it does the one-dimensional scoring 2-guard. I think Young would bring us something good in a trade or allow us to unload something bad -- and the end result would be a net positive for the team.

Chuurch!!!!

I'd say trade him while he has some value before the luster wears off. I don't see the Kevin Martin upside. Jamal Crawford maybe in about another 4 or 5 years.

We might not be able to shed Etan's deal, but pairing Young with Suck-gaila or/and AD this offseason might be the way to go.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#71 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thats all speculation on your part. No one has any idea on how Young is viewed by GM's around the league nor do any of us know what his value is out there.

Theres not a GM dumb enough in this league to bring in Young but take one of our bad contracts with him (Etan and Songaila). Thats just wishful thinking.

I think its bigger reach to suggest Young has no value, but yet you tout him as a potential star. Can't have it both ways bro? Which one is it?

I agree with on pairing him with Etan. I don't think Etan can be moved until he proves he's healthy & starts playing really well. That might have to wait until next season. Suck-gaila might be a different story. Although he sucks monkey balls now, he's proven in the past to be a slightly useful player. Paired with Young and maybe a pick, I think the Wiz could get something useful in return (read: not Tim Thomas!).
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#72 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:57 am

Dat2U wrote:I think its bigger reach to suggest Young has no value, but yet you tout him as a potential star. Can't have it both ways bro? Which one is it?

Exactly. The same people who say we can't get anything for Nick Young because he's an unproven rookie are saying in other thread that he's going to be a star in this league and should be starting instead of guys like Stevenson. Really, if potential is a reason not to trade him, wouldn't you think that same potential would be a reason for other teams to want to trade for him?

Unless, of course, you think he'll never be anything special (like a few of us do) and want to get what we can before the secret gets out around the league.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,862

Post#73 » by Rafael122 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:19 am

LyricalRico wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly. The same people who say we can't get anything for Nick Young because he's an unproven rookie are saying in other thread that he's going to be a star in this league and should be starting instead of guys like Stevenson. Really, if potential is a reason not to trade him, wouldn't you think that same potential would be a reason for other teams to want to trade for him?

Unless, of course, you think he'll never be anything special (like a few of us do) and want to get what we can before the secret gets out around the league.

?

I think it's a bit unfair to be honest. 4 years were spent thinking Kwame Brown will finally become the player we all thought he was going to be, and to this day, he's been a bust. Every excuse in the book was used, and he was still bad. Laker fans still think he's developing.

Read that again...4 years were wasted thinking Kwame Brown was going to be the man.

So half a season in, and you guys want Nick Young to be traded. I'm not sure why. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not gonna say this guy will be a superstar, but I think he can be a 12-14 ppg player on a playoff team. If the guy was such a waste of talent, and isn't 'anything special' then I think GMs around the league would have figured that out by watching his college career, pre-draft camps, etc.

So yeah, when I saw those trades unfold yesterday I came to the realization that trading Songaila or Etan is only going to fetch us something just as bad. There's no point really. Etan's contract runs out in 2 years (even then, I think he might opt out), and unless this guy turns into a 15 and 10 monster, he's not going anywhere due to health issues.

And as for Songaila, I don't know....I think the guy's been used too much or just mis-used. He should be setting picks and draining 12 foot jumpers, not guarding the likes of Yao Ming and Dwight Howard.

It's wishful thinking. Fun to talk about, but its wishful thinking. Barring a clean bill of health (and who the hell knows with the Wizards medical team) and adding maybe 2 first round picks, there's no way Etan is being traded, and Songaila...well, he's most likely staying too.

Return to Washington Wizards