Post#21 » by MOrgil » Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:26 am

52 wins
payitforward
General Manager
And1: 2,007

Re: Wizards W-L Predictions for the 2017-18 season 

Post#22 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 am

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:Every other team in the East has improved, & we've gotten worse. But, it's all chance anyway, so I predict 62 wins.

(Can we do this thread for real when the season is closer?)

Did every other team really improve? I don't know how you can see it that way. I know you think Cleveland won the Boston trade so Boston improved too? Did Cleveland get better immediately despite probably not having Isaiah Thomas for a good chunk of the season? Will they play Jae Crowder at PG?

Did Toronto improve in spite of losing Patrick Patterson, PJ Tucker & Cory Joseph and adding only CJ Miles? Did Indiana improve despite losing Paul George? How about Atlanta despite losing Paul Millsap & Dwight Howard? Will Chicago be better without Jimmy Butler and your boy Rajon Rondo? What about Detroit by swapping out both Marcus Morris & Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and only getting Avery Bradley back?

Milwaukee will be better with further development by Giannis Antetokounmpo & a full season of Khris Middleton. Jabari Parker may or may not help depending on his willingness to play D.

Charlotte looks to have improved simply by having Dwight Howard & Cody Zeller eat all of the C minutes. Still don't love the lack of offensive skill and shooting but they'll be formidable.

Philly has definitely improved but they are counting on two rookies not to mention the health of Joel Embiid. Everything would have to work out of them to make the playoffs but they'll be more competitive and I'd expect at least a respectable push towards the 8th seed this year.

Miami is a question mark to me. They had career years from journeyman in Dion Waiters & James Johnson. Are those guys capable of duplicating that level of play going forward? Justise Winslow is at a crossroads. Kelly Olynyk will be interesting for them but I don't think it moves the needle. Miami isn't as good as their run in the middle of last year and not as bad as they were at the beginning.

I guess maybe I should have used green font....?

Then again, I did stimulate you to a team by team analysis! :)
Pay no attention to the remarks above.
HoopsMalone
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#23 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:45 am

49-33, but...

I've got you guys as the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference in terms of playoff strength (behind Cleveland) but if Isaiah can't play it's a very winnable series.

Your depth was an absolute nightmare last year and a slight uptick to "not completely inept" makes a big difference.

I think Boston got weaker and the Wiz would have defeated them last year if not for the Morris injury.

Toronto is a regular season team.

In all honesty I think Charlotte is the most likely non-Cleveland team to beat you in the playoffs. Their starting 5 is statistically one of the best units in the game and can hang with Washington's closely enough that their improved depth could be the equalizer.

But realistically, barring injuries this is the Wizards year to make noise. Unfortunately I can't see them being competitive with golden State or SAS.

GSW could probably sustain an injury to their big 4 and still matchup well with the wizards

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#24 » by Dat2U » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 am

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:Every other team in the East has improved, & we've gotten worse. But, it's all chance anyway, so I predict 62 wins.

(Can we do this thread for real when the season is closer?)

Did every other team really improve? I don't know how you can see it that way. I know you think Cleveland won the Boston trade so Boston improved too? Did Cleveland get better immediately despite probably not having Isaiah Thomas for a good chunk of the season? Will they play Jae Crowder at PG?

Did Toronto improve in spite of losing Patrick Patterson, PJ Tucker & Cory Joseph and adding only CJ Miles? Did Indiana improve despite losing Paul George? How about Atlanta despite losing Paul Millsap & Dwight Howard? Will Chicago be better without Jimmy Butler and your boy Rajon Rondo? What about Detroit by swapping out both Marcus Morris & Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and only getting Avery Bradley back?

Milwaukee will be better with further development by Giannis Antetokounmpo & a full season of Khris Middleton. Jabari Parker may or may not help depending on his willingness to play D.

Charlotte looks to have improved simply by having Dwight Howard & Cody Zeller eat all of the C minutes. Still don't love the lack of offensive skill and shooting but they'll be formidable.

Philly has definitely improved but they are counting on two rookies not to mention the health of Joel Embiid. Everything would have to work out of them to make the playoffs but they'll be more competitive and I'd expect at least a respectable push towards the 8th seed this year.

Miami is a question mark to me. They had career years from journeyman in Dion Waiters & James Johnson. Are those guys capable of duplicating that level of play going forward? Justise Winslow is at a crossroads. Kelly Olynyk will be interesting for them but I don't think it moves the needle. Miami isn't as good as their run in the middle of last year and not as bad as they were at the beginning.

Lol I was probably in one of my moods lol. So what are your real thoughts on the rest of the East? I'd love to know.
I told a 76ers fan in response to a GB post saying the Wizards were consistently mediocre and should rebuild that "76ers fans should know about rebuilding." According to Tsherkin this warrants me being put on Read-Access only on the GB. :lol:
NatP4
Analyst
And1: 600

Post#25 » by NatP4 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 am

I can't see them winning 50 games with the bench they are going to be using. it's not like Sloan/Frazier/Meeks/Scott are going to magically turn into impact subs.

on the other hand, Mahinmi could be somewhat healthy, Satoranksy could become an impact sub, Oubre could make the leap and Brooks could commit to playing small ball and they could win 60 games and get the top seed....

i'm gonna go with 49 wins
FAH1223
General Manager
And1: 1,484

Post#26 » by FAH1223 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:12 pm

45 wins.... with #45 being retired in the rafters
MikeTheKid
Assistant Coach
And1: 687

Post#27 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 pm

47 wins
diaboliQ_Mo
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#28 » by diaboliQ_Mo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:52 am

IIRC, 2 yrs ago I said 52 wins and at the end of the season felt real miserable. But I still do it this year. Fifty effing two wins! :P
closg00
RealGM
And1: 989

Post#29 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:35 pm

If Bron does leave for the Lakers in 2018, Holy Shyt, we can contend for the East at-least.
A good GM doesn't have to use draft picks to correct mistakes
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 488

Post#30 » by dangermouse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:26 am

closg00 wrote:If Bron does leave for the Lakers in 2018, Holy Shyt, we can contend for the East at-least.

Barring teams like Milwaukee improving, or another super team forming somehow, you'd have to like our chances of being a perrenial ECF team and possible Finals team.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
CobraCommander
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,096

Post#31 » by CobraCommander » Yesterday 2:07 am

52 wins... i would go more but I'm worried about Miami and Philly
payitforward
General Manager
And1: 2,007

Post#32 » by payitforward » Yesterday 3:13 am

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Lol I was probably in one of my moods lol. So what are your real thoughts on the rest of the East? I'd love to know.

The East looks pretty awful, doesn't it?

I think Cleveland will be better; I think Boston will be worse. Chicago is down the drain. Philly could be surprising if 1 or more of the young'uns takes hold, & both Amir Johnson & Redick are at their last year levels.

For Toronto to stay where it was, the young kids will have to step up, Noguiera in particular. Signing Ibaka at a huge salary was an idiotic decision.

Atlanta looks awful. The Pacers can't possibly be as good as last year. The Knicks could actually improve -- but not enough.

The Bucks, Hornets, Pistons & Heat should improve over last year.

We have a shot at the ECFs -- not b/c we're so good, but b/c everyone else is so bad.
Pay no attention to the remarks above.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 822

Post#33 » by Meliorus » Yesterday 12:15 pm

CobraCommander wrote:52 wins... i would go more but I'm worried about Miami and Philly

Miami yes, Philly no. Fultz is gonna be one of the most net negative players (on high usage) in the league.

Return to Washington Wizards