ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVI

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVI 

Post#1241 » by youngWizzy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Dat2U wrote:There were 3 guys in the drqft I would have traded Wall for last year. Luka Doncic, Jaren Jackson Jr & Trae Young. This year, there's one guy I'd absolutely trade Wall for in a heartbeat or anyone on our roster. Zion Williamson. I'm still drawing conclusions on others but R.J. Barrett looks pretty good as well.

Trading Wall is a lot harder than it sounds. I do like Doncic, Barret, and Jackson's long term potentials over Wall's (for now). Im still debating Young's potential but that is besides my point. The problem with trading Wall for a rookie is..How many seasons will it take for say Doncic, Young, Barrett etc. to become better than what Wall is now? Also, how can you stay competitive or become better while our core of Beal and Porter are in or are approaching their prime years? Would you think either of Porter or Beal demands a trade? If you are going to trade Wall you are going to more than likely have to blow up the entire roster (which I am fine with if the trade or scenario is worth the risk).
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#1242 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Dat2U wrote:There were 3 guys in the drqft I would have traded Wall for last year. Luka Doncic, Jaren Jackson Jr & Trae Young. This year, there's one guy I'd absolutely trade Wall for in a heartbeat or anyone on our roster. Zion Williamson. I'm still drawing conclusions on others but R.J. Barrett looks pretty good as well.

For sure Doncic. & Jackson's upside is over the moon. Not surprised by how you are on ZW (everyone is!). But... I'm a little surprised you had Trae Young ranked that high (i.e. based on my sense of how you rank John Wall).

Do you think Dallas, Memphis or Atlanta would have traded Doncic, Jackson Jr, or Young for Wall straight up?

I note that both Jackson & Young are playing terrific ball so far. Luka Doncic, otoh, is turning the ball over 5 times per 40 minutes -- as a 3! Early days, obviously....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,237

Post#1243 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 pm

payitforward wrote:

For sure Doncic. & Jackson's upside is over the moon. Not surprised by how you are on ZW (everyone is!). But... I'm a little surprised you had Trae Young ranked that high (i.e. based on my sense of how you rank John Wall).

Do you think Dallas, Memphis or Atlanta would have traded Doncic, Jackson Jr, or Young for Wall straight up?

I note that both Jackson & Young are playing terrific ball so far. Luka Doncic, otoh, is turning the ball over 5 times per 40 minutes -- as a 3! Early days, obviously....

I thought Young would translate. Elite skill usually does. Of course I had no idea he'd look good this early.

I think the Kings are ALWAYS ready to do something irrational and reports have them desperate to acquire a "star".

Memphis was heavily shopping the 4th & Chandler Parsons. I wanted to offer Porter and take Jackson Jr.

Dallas is always looking to add a big piece and despite early in the rebuilding stage they added DeAndre Jordan. A deal centered around Wesley Matthew's contract could have worked.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,021

Post#1244 » by TGW » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

The Wizards should make everyone on the roster available except for Beal. He annoys me the least on the roster. Everyone else is expendable.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,020

Post#1245 » by Dark Faze » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:31 pm

TGW wrote:The Wizards should make everyone on the roster available except for Beal. He annoys me the least on the roster. Everyone else is expendable.

This is where I'm at. The problem is in the case of a rebuild scenario, we're far enough away from being good that there's no reason to even keep Brad when you consider what he can bring back in a trade. Because he'll be 26 this summer, the prime of his career on a very reasonable contract. If the Wiz keep him as the only man left standing, he'll be 30 by the time we reach the playoffs again. There's really no point.

John would be very solid in Phoenix with the weapons there. I'd be set on seeing if I could make a deal with them. They don't have anyone to pay anytime soon but Booker, so his contract wouldn't be too bothersome. By the time Ayton is up for renewal, John's contract will be done or close enough to it. I think it's the best fit for a trade.

Mirotic and Ingles are making the Otto contract look regrettable. Otto fits on any team, but his salary doesn't. Nobody wants to pay 3 and D wings a max these days. I'm going to be very interested to see what Mirotic gets this off-season. Current numbers are unsustainable, but he's very good.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#1246 » by barelyawake » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Again, once Howard is healthy, this is going to be another team. BUT, I have a feeling the CAVS are going to have a fire sale. And I want Tristan. That guy is a leader and a fighter. Maybe Korver too.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,096

Post#1247 » by JWizmentality » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm still holding off on the panic button for now. Right now the only people I want off this team are Brooks, Ian, Smith, and Rivers
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1248 » by Dat2U » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 pm

I think you don't get a true indication of where a team is at till the 20 game mark. If we based decisions after 4 games into the regular season, Orlando was a legit contender last year.

I especially wouldn't draw any conclusions from Curry going off on us. Getting drubbed on the road by arguably the GOAT and the GOAT team would have the remaining 29 teams in the league feeling like they need to start rebuilding.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,675

Post#1249 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:15 am

Shocking that people want a firesale after a 1-3 start that includes losing to arguably the greatest team of all time. And half the fans probably didn't stay up to watch any of these games. As somebody else said, let's see what happens when Howard gets in the lineup. Even if he's half the player he once was, when was the last time we had a big man of that ability. Elvin Hayes? Moses at the end?

Rivers looks like he has no clue what to do out there. Penetrate. Feed everybody else. He sucks right now and he may suck the rest of the way but I know he's a capable 3-point shooter who lost confidence since the preseason (did make 2 late ones last night). Seems like he's trying to fit in but Brooks has also put too much pressure on him by forcing him to play starters minutes when he's barely playing like a rotation player. Until he gets the shot back, Sato (who hasn't played that great either), should be playing more minutes because he's going to at least play decent defense. You never know what you're going to get with Jeff Green. No wonder he's been an enigma on so many teams but I like his handle and his defense.

On one hand, we do miss Mike Scott's 3-point shooting but not his lack of D. The one thing we've seen on this trip is Oubre coming alive on offense. When he plays with Wall, his game comes alive. I have no clue why Brooks started Jason Smith and not Oubre against Golden State. It makes zero sense. If he continues to play well, Oubre is the guy that needs to get those clutch minutes, not Rivers.

We're 1-3 but all is not lost. Not against making another deal to get a 3-point shooter to help the bench.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#1250 » by pcbothwel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 am

80sballboy wrote:Shocking that people want a firesale after a 1-3 start that includes losing to arguably the greatest team of all time. And half the fans probably didn't stay up to watch any of these games. As somebody else said, let's see what happens when Howard gets in the lineup. Even if he's half the player he once was, when was the last time we had a big man of that ability. Elvin Hayes? Moses at the end?

Rivers looks like he has no clue what to do out there. Penetrate. Feed everybody else. He sucks right now and he may suck the rest of the way but I know he's a capable 3-point shooter who lost confidence since the preseason (did make 2 late ones last night). Seems like he's trying to fit in but Brooks has also put too much pressure on him by forcing him to play starters minutes when he's barely playing like a rotation player. Until he gets the shot back, Sato (who hasn't played that great either), should be playing more minutes because he's going to at least play decent defense. You never know what you're going to get with Jeff Green. No wonder he's been an enigma on so many teams but I like his handle and his defense.

On one hand, we do miss Mike Scott's 3-point shooting but not his lack of D. The one thing we've seen on this trip is Oubre coming alive on offense. When he plays with Wall, his game comes alive. I have no clue why Brooks started Jason Smith and not Oubre against Golden State. It makes zero sense. If he continues to play well, Oubre is the guy that needs to get those clutch minutes, not Rivers.

We're 1-3 but all is not lost. Not against making another deal to get a 3-point shooter to help the bench.

Im actually the opposite. Im a buyer of the Wiz and would trade our 1st plus Rivers/Mahinmi for cap space.
- Slow start may make teams view our pick as 16-20 range vs 20-24 range, so more bang for your buck as an asset

- The Key pieces look good:
Wall: Looks awesome physically with his strength and speed. His 3 will settle in around 34-37%, but he is physically blowing by people and moving them out of the way... His defense also look elite.

Beal: As I thought, he looks to have taken the leap. Defense has continued to get better and his tools continue to expand. Top 3 SG in NBA and the best player in the team. Book it

Otto: Looks MUCH bigger and stronger. Still a little passive, but I believe he'll settle in over next couple weeks.

Outside the big 3, Oubre and Morris are hitting 3's and drawing fouls. Look like real compliment pieces and Sato is Sato. Get Howard back and you have 8 legit "Plus" players including Jeff Green, with 3 of them being legit AS caliber.

We get Howard back and expect a boost there.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1251 » by dangermouse » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:51 am

Rox offering 4 1st rounders for Jimmy.

Surely they would rather send him across the map instead of to a conference rival? Plus they owe us for the 5th pick that one time.

Two firsts, Oubre, Rivers and Smith. Just go all in now.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#1252 » by queridiculo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 am

dangermouse wrote:Rox offering 4 1st rounders for Jimmy.

Surely they would rather send him across the map instead of to a conference rival? Plus they owe us for the 5th pick that one time.

There's no way you can pay for a team featuring Butler, Porter, Beal and Wall.

Flushing assets down the toilet is why this team hasn't taken the next step.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1253 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 pm

2 firsts? Why do you hate the Wizards? Actually, I don't mind so much trading the 2019 first, but trading any future 1sts could turn out to be a Monumental (pun intended) mistake. And even if we get Butler, we'd still be behind Boston and Toronto and probably still behind Milwaukee and Philly - given the combo of talent and coaching - we're surrounded by better coaches. Getting a 1 year rental of Butler is defnitely not worth mortgaging the future.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#1254 » by Dark Faze » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm

queridiculo wrote:

Depends on how much Ted is interested in fielding a winner. Warriors/Raptors/Rockets (with Butler) will be fielding salaries in the 150+ range next season after extensions. The Celtics would be in the same ball park if they didn't have so many impact guys on rookie contracts.

If the Wiz were able to dump the Mahinmi deal, they'd be looking at around 127 million tied up into Wall/Beal/Otto/Butler. 132 for a full starting lineup with Dwight's minimum. Another 15 million to fill out the roster with minimum guys + any second rounders we've got. That's 147 or so, which isn't outrageous.

We're not going to make the deal because we're not beating Houston's offer anyway, but if Ernie was being honest when he said Ted would pay for a winner, then nothing about the cost of the team should be a surprise to him.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#1255 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

Depends on how much Ted is interested in fielding a winner. Warriors/Raptors/Rockets (with Butler) will be fielding salaries in the 150+ range next season after extensions. The Celtics would be in the same ball park if they didn't have so many impact guys on rookie contracts.

If the Wiz were able to dump the Mahinmi deal, they'd be looking at around 127 million tied up into Wall/Beal/Otto/Butler. 132 for a full starting lineup with Dwight's minimum. Another 15 million to fill out the roster with minimum guys + any second rounders we've got. That's 147 or so, which isn't outrageous.

We're not going to make the deal because we're not beating Houston's offer anyway, but if Ernie was being honest when he said Ted would pay for a winner, then nothing about the cost of the team should be a surprise to him.

Ridiculous. Same thing over & over....

Jimmy Butler isn't picking up his $19m offer next off season.
If Dwight Howard has a good season, he isn't picking up his $5+m option either.

The Rockets have already contended for a title. They came within 1 game of winning the West (& likely a title). The Warriors on a title run.

The Wizards were tossed aside in 6 games in R1 of the East last year. We are not the Rockets, & we are not the Warriors.

Hence, this has nothing to do with Ted wanting or not wanting to "field a winner." There is no way we can acquire Jimmy Butler. There is also no reason we should want to acquire Jimmy Butler (since he'll leave at the end of the year). &, finally, there is no reason Jimmy Butler would want to come here & waste this season.

Give it up.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#1256 » by pcbothwel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:41 pm

queridiculo wrote:

Yup, Doesnt make sense. This team is good. Real good. Just not great.
Oh well. Enjoy the talent of 3 AS Caliber players in their prime and some decent surrounding pieces with upside in Oubre, Sato, and Brown.

- My goal is this: Maintain flexibility so that we dont pay repeater tax
- Stay "Competitve" as a 50 win caliber team
- Hope for Miracle?... lol
- If above Miracle doesnt take place, move 1 of the big 3 (probably Otto :banghead: ) for a reload of assets.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#1257 » by Dark Faze » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm

payitforward wrote:Ridiculous. Same thing over & over....

Already accounted for Butler's extension.

As for Dwight--are we forgetting he had a stellar season last year while missing zero games? Sure, if he replicates that, he'll decline the option, but there's no reason to believe he'll get a "big" deal.

payitforward wrote:The Rockets have already contended for a title. They came within 1 game of winning the West (& likely a title). The Warriors on a title run.

The Wizards were tossed aside in 6 games in R1 of the East last year. We are not the Rockets, & we are not the Warriors.

Hence, this has nothing to do with Ted wanting or not wanting to "field a winner." There is no way we can acquire Jimmy Butler. There is also no reason we should want to acquire Jimmy Butler (since he'll leave at the end of the year). &, finally, there is no reason Jimmy Butler would want to come here & waste this season.

Give it up.

The year before that they took a very good Celtics team to 7 games. And losing in 6 to last years Raptors with Otto Porter on one leg and John recovering from a bunch of games off is no shame at all. Jimmy was willing to play for the Knicks and Nets--I'm pretty sure if he reached an ECF with us he'd be willing to extend.

I'm not particularly advocating for the move by the way. My response about the subject was about the extreme negativity posters like you have to any suggestion for going all in on a 4th star for this team in general.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1258 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Interesting - Meeks is still on the Bucks roster. Apparently, reports that he was going to be waived immediately after the trade with Le Wiz were not true. Of course, he's still on suspension.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jangles86
Starter
And1: 941

Post#1259 » by jangles86 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 pm

I’m one dissapointing loss from blowing this team up.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1260 » by Dat2U » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:06 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:
queridiculo wrote:There's no way you can pay for a team featuring Butler, Porter, Beal and Wall.

Ridiculous. Same thing over & over....

The Rockets have already contended for a title. They came within 1 game of winning the West (& likely a title). The Warriors on a title run.

Give it up.

I absolutely hate posts like this. There's 29 teams that are not likely to win a championship this year. Should they all give up too?

Most teams that have aspirations of competing are facing future uncertainty and huge financial decisions. The Wizards are not unique in these issues despite the consistent negativity here. On the other hand it's not the worst situation to have your best three players being our most productive and signed long term. It's the first time since the 49-win season they've all been healthy at the same time. I'm not drawing conclusions 4 games into the season either.

Return to Washington Wizards