And1: 11,579

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVII 

Post#1301 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Trump by now has probably set a record for most people who have worked for him and then he's publicly tried to shred to pieces, and he's been at the job just over 3 years. That is emblematic of the person he is and his true body of work.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 383

Post#1302 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:24 pm

TGW wrote:
And a newsflash: Bernie does represent African Americans. He's winning the black vote in my demographic (AA's under 50), and outside of reparations, has the best policies to help AA's. He's also vetting Barbara Lee--a progressive favorite and beloved in the AA community--for VP if he wins.

this is categorically not true, Bernie is winning Black people under 35 (my demographic too) by about 10-15 points and losing Black people over 35 by a bit more than that, and the older you are the more likely you are to vote. While yeah, LV voter models collapse utterly if you get some massive surge of young voters that causes young voters to vote in a primary at historic highs, that's literally just pure faith.

I was a Bernie supporter in 2015 and almost voted for him in 2016, but his fixation on the white working class, anti-immigrant views, and lack of history in Black communities turned me off, and Hillary, while not as progressive on economics, had far more intersectional messaging and policy. This is just more of the same.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,664

Post#1303 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Bullets -> Wizards
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,025

Post#1304 » by TGW » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:
TGW wrote:
And a newsflash: Bernie does represent African Americans. He's winning the black vote in my demographic (AA's under 50), and outside of reparations, has the best policies to help AA's. He's also vetting Barbara Lee--a progressive favorite and beloved in the AA community--for VP if he wins.

this is categorically not true, Bernie is winning Black people under 35 (my demographic too) by about 10-15 points and losing Black people over 35 by a bit more than that, and the older you are the more likely you are to vote. While yeah, LV voter models collapse utterly if you get some massive surge of young voters that causes young voters to vote in a primary at historic highs, that's literally just pure faith.

I was a Bernie supporter in 2015 and almost voted for him in 2016, but his fixation on the white working class, anti-immigrant views, and lack of history in Black communities turned me off, and Hillary, while not as progressive on economics, had far more intersectional messaging and policy. This is just more of the same.

I'll find the poll later, but it stated that Bernie was winning AA's under 50. He's definitely winning under 35.

And you'll have to show me his "anti-immigrant" views because my family are immigrants and I've seen nothing to suggest that he's anti-immigrant. He's anti-open borders, which he's well in the right to be as a labor protectionist.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 383

Post#1305 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:50 pm

TGW wrote:
Chaos Revenant wrote:
TGW wrote:

I'll find the poll later, but it stated that Bernie was winning AA's under 50. He's definitely winning under 35.

And you'll have to show me his "anti-immigrant" views because my family are immigrants and I've seen nothing to suggest that he's anti-immigrant. He's anti-open borders, which he's well in the right to be as a labor protectionist.

Sadly there's no running poll average with this cross tab.

Also first off, labor protectionism is racist by default, secondly, Bernie specifically named the countries that he doesn't want people from.. At least Trump had the decency to talk about shithole countries in private, Bernie just says "no we don't want people from Mexico or Vietnam and China".
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#1306 » by queridiculo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:57 pm

I never get tired of watching this.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1307 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:29 pm

queridiculo wrote:I never get tired of watching this.

And there's no equivalence, because every single criticism shouldn't just go to Trump; they should go 100 times more to Trump.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,905

Post#1308 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1309 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1310 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

It's laughable that any grownup is stupid enough to truly believe Trump gives a bleep about corruption in a country like the Ukraine.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1311 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 pm

"If a president does something which he believes will help him get elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment.

It would be a much harder case if a hypothetical president of the United States said to a hypothetical leader of a foreign country, ‘unless you build a hotel with my name on it, and unless you give me a million dollar kickback, I will withhold the funds.’ That’s an easy case. That’s purely corrupt and in the purely private interest.

But a complex middle case is, ‘I want to be elected. I think I’m a great president. I think I’m the greatest president there ever was. If I’m not elected the national interest will suffer greatly.’ That cannot be impeachable".

-- Alan Dershowitz
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,959

Post#1312 » by Pointgod » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:05 am

Wizardspride wrote:"If a president does something which he believes will help him get elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment.

It would be a much harder case if a hypothetical president of the United States said to a hypothetical leader of a foreign country, ‘unless you build a hotel with my name on it, and unless you give me a million dollar kickback, I will withhold the funds.’ That’s an easy case. That’s purely corrupt and in the purely private interest.

But a complex middle case is, ‘I want to be elected. I think I’m a great president. I think I’m the greatest president there ever was. If I’m not elected the national interest will suffer greatly.’ That cannot be impeachable".

-- Alan Dershowitz

How does this guy get a teaching gig after this?
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1313 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:11 am

Read on Twitter
Bullets -> Wizards
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1314 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:14 am

So does this mean Mexico should have ownership rights <sorta JK> ?

It would be a real shame if they started to clean up the mess and
the wall somehow got further damage. /irony off
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1315 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:31 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,959

Post#1316 » by Pointgod » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

But if you only count the black voters under 25 that vape and play fortnite, Bernie is at 100%!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1317 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:49 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

And that's just high winds. What happens when we have earthquakes or hurricanes in Texas near the border? The costs are going to continue to be absurd. The lack of thinking things through and planning is really unbelievable. What a bunch of dufus'.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1318 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 pm

medieval thinking
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1319 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:13 pm

pretty sure that an overwhelming amount of border town sheriffs and border patrol directors said that while they welcome the funding, they were overwhelmingly against the wall. would have preferred tech like drones and helicopters.

and while i'm probably the biggest open-border supporter on this board, even i acknowledge the need to prevent drug/human/contraband trafficking at the borders. it just adds to a long list of Trump politicizing a nonpartisan issue and carrying out the dumbest of all possible options
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,261

Post#1320 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:36 pm

dobrojim wrote:So does this mean Mexico should have ownership rights <sorta JK> ?

It would be a real shame if they started to clean up the mess and
the wall somehow got further damage. /irony off

Mexico should pay for the damage to the wall...

Return to Washington Wizards