ImageImageImageImageImage

Will EG make a move before the trade deadline?

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Will EG make a move before the trade deadline?

Make a move
18%
Stay put
82%

Total votes: 34

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#141 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:39 am

nate33 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think the comparison is that far off. The Wizards have the talent to make it happen and in a couple of years, they might have the basketball IQ too. Arenas can become an even better version of Billups, Haywood this year is playing about as well as Ben Wallace in his best years (though in fewer minutes per game), Butler is better than Rip, Stevenson is comparable to Prince. Jamison is a little better than Rasheed offensively, though a lot worse defensively.

The biggest differences are experience, and Larry Brown.

I'm glad you framed it this way because it highlights that it's not just the talent you have. A great HC does make a big difference on the margin and on the margin is the difference between an ok team and a great team.

You can't do it without talent but you also can't do it without a very good HC doing all the HC stuff.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#142 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:13 am

Arenas4Three wrote:damn, no trades. :nonono:

this has been a frustrating year and its going to get worse. This team doesnt have what it takes to get to the next level IMO and it sucks ****.

No trades bothers me.

Guys the Wizards DIDN'T GET who might have helped:

Kirk Snyder, Kurt Thomas, Taurean Green, Delonte West, Joe Smith, Larry Hughes, Juan Dixon, Gerald Green, Von Wafer.

What some teams achieved that Washington might have but didn't: Cap space; others acquired PGs; defense on the perimeter; athletic scoring wing player; experienced PFs that score and rebound and defend.

Just evaluating the trades at an eye glance (no time today to really look at who did what) I'd say Cleveland might have enough now to beat Detroit and Boston.

Cleveland has Wallace at PF with Ilgauskas, and Wally who's a pure shooter, and Delonte who is a pure shooter. They got rid of Hughes and defensive seive Gooden.

Cleveland rocked today for sure.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#143 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:17 am

DCZards wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm a big fan of Delonte West and would love to see the homeboy in a Wizards uni. But I think it would be a big mistake to trade Young. His upside is huge, imo.

It absolutely stinks that Cleveland got him to replace Larry Hughes.

"I'm not quite dead, yet" Ben Wallace can now just rebound and he's Lebron's teammate with a defensive coach.

Wallace at PF with Ilgauskas is a lot better bet to win over Shaq or Jason Kidd with their respective teams.

Washington can't touch Cleveland now.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#144 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Well you guys were saying Nick won't do anything this season, won't get minutes, won't score buckets and what not before he even played summer league and before the season began. Now that he actually does show potential of being a pretty good scorer in this league, you still don't buy his talents. Why rip on a guy whos pretty much playing to the expecations of a mid first round pick?

I'm glad some of you aren't running this team. You'd trade half the team overnight for overrated vets and useless cap space. Have some patience. Young doesn't have a case of lazyness like Kwame. Hes a blessed athlete whos coachable.

My only reason for wanting to trade Nick is he was the hope for unloading the contracts of Songaila, Thomas, and Daniels. When team loses 9 of 10 games, the veterans who are making money some very good starters around the league make are the ones I wanted traded for cap space.

I think Von Wafer's better than Nick. I think Nick's not extraordinary at all, and just can score well at times. I think he or Pecherov could have been included in deals to upgrade the Wizards.

Taurean Green can lead and he can run a team.

Other GMs got guys who I've considered potentially real good players, and those GMs got them in sensible cheap moves.

Washington was conservative, but I think a little deal here or there would have made a whole lot mre sense than sticking with something that's going down the drain soon if Caron can't go.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#145 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 am

nate33 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Another unfair comparison. The Wizards will well above .500 when they had both of their all stars. We were 23-19 before Butler went down and 2-11 since. Ignoring the first 5 games, we went 23-14 with a healthy Butler.

How good is Detroit if you take away Billups and Rasheed? How good is Cleveland without Lebron and Z? How good is Boston without Garnett and Pierce?

It's just not realistic to gripe about our lack of wins given the injuries. If you want to gripe that our stars are too injury-prone for success, well then you might be on to something. But don't whine about a 25-28 record when Arenas has missed 45 games and Butler has missed 10.

AD is too injury prone and that's the reason I wanted him traded.

Gil opting out for a max deal coming off of two separate knee surgeries, as well as his classless remarks about Calderon and him just not shutting up when he's out; are reasons why IMO trades should have at least been entertained by EG for Gil. He might come back a better player, or he might have Grant Hill type injuries down the road.

Etan ... gets hurt. Might want to trade him if you can.

Darius looks like he's really hurting.

The health of the team and it coming against a cap are why trades might have been a good idea.

I really respect Grunfeld for being OPPOSITE to the way I think. Him staying the course paid off prior to the injuries. Let's just hope Butler's hip heals and the Wziards at least make the playoffs.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#146 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:The thing is if the Wizards are completely 100% healthy and every player is playing to his absolute potential can they still compete for a championship in this league? As currently constructed, I submit they can not.

What's sad is that the last perimeter oriented big 3 in the league was at least able to make it to the conference finals. (Bucks with Cassell, Allen, Robinson) This current perimeter big 3 hasn't even won a game in the second round, and I don't see anything in the foreseeable future that suggests something will change for the better.

Yeah sure, maybe Blatche and Young can develop into quality players, but by that time the Hawks, Bobcats, Sonics, and Blazers of the world will have their own crop of young stars rising up and we'd still be mediocre.

By the way, does anyone know any crappy 2008 FA that have DS as their initials so EG can waste the whole MLE on him? It seems like he has enjoyed making a habit of destroying the Wizards cap situation with DS's the past two off-season.

:bowdown:

no D, I think you're 100% on top of it.

Washington's at best mediocre, even when 100% healthy.

Philly beat the same Knicks who scored 23 in OT against the Wizards by 40 points. Thaddeus Young's going to be real good. The crappy East has Marion with Wade now. Toronto and Orlando are better than the Wizards, and Gil coming back jacking shots isn't going to stop Turkoglu and Lewis from hitting threes. Darius can't hang with Marion, but EJ will go there.

Having Jamison and Gil potentially walking and this team injure should be cause for concern.

Wizard players miss more games each season thank Karl Malone missed his first 17-18 years combined.

This team is soft and that defense that was apparent early in the year won't be sustained by fragile players and an offensive-minded head coach.

Staying put ... we'll see how that turns out. Hope I'm wrong, but all I see is 35-43 win seasons now. Or worse.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#147 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
no D in Hibachi wrote:The thing is if the Wizards are completely 100% healthy and every player is playing to his absolute potential can they still compete for a championship in this league? As currently constructed, I submit they can not.

What's sad is that the last perimeter oriented big 3 in the league was at least able to make it to the conference finals. (Bucks with Cassell, Allen, Robinson) This current perimeter big 3 hasn't even won a game in the second round, and I don't see anything in the foreseeable future that suggests something will change for the better.

Yeah sure, maybe Blatche and Young can develop into quality players, but by that time the Hawks, Bobcats, Sonics, and Blazers of the world will have their own crop of young stars rising up and we'd still be mediocre.

By the way, does anyone know any crappy 2008 FA that have DS as their initials so EG can waste the whole MLE on him? It seems like he has enjoyed making a habit of destroying the Wizards cap situation with DS's the past two off-season.

:bowdown:

no D, I think you're 100% on top of it.

Washington's at best mediocre, even when 100% healthy.

Nonsense. A team that beats Boston twice and Dallas w/o its best player is a good team. It remains to be seen whether we'll see a healthy jelled team play together this year, so the record might not bear out anything more than mediocre though.

No D, I have yet to see anyone say that if this team is healthy it's a championship caliber team. It still has some growing to do an pieces to add. But there's this unspoken notion that you whiners are floating that implies that Ernie has had the opportunity to trade this non-championship team for a championship one. What evidence is there of that?

And this notion that Eddie Jordan is at fault for the injuries is just absurd. There isn't always someone to blame in life for your misfortunes. IF anyone is to blame, it's POllin for not exceeding the luxtax to sign a couple backups. But given the financial incentive structure for NAB owners, it's hard to blame him.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#148 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:57 pm

Completely healthy, you're joking yourself if you don't think we're the third best team after Boston and Detroit. Or maybe fourth since Orlando is pretty good this year.

and I'm saying that knowing Eddie Jordan is our coach. As much as I dislike him, hes heck of a lot better than Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, Lawrence Frank, Sam Mitchell and Mo Cheeks.
Macker
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#149 » by Macker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Completely healthy, you're joking yourself if you don't think we're the third best team after Boston and Detroit. Or maybe fourth since Orlando is pretty good this year.

I dont know. I think Cleveland just got a lot better. Adding Wally to Booby means they now have two of the top 15 three point shooters in the league to spread the D for Lebron (among guys averaging 2+ 3s/gm). Adding Big Ben helps a lot for a team that's slid to mediocre in team D, after being one of the top 5 best last year in point differential and opponents FG%. If they can integrate all their role players, I really feel they will quickly vault back into contention to represent the East in the finals.

Meanwhile, what did we do?

I know all the arguments. Tough to make a big trade when you team has been injured all year. But to that I say the Wiz have had uncommonly good luck with injuries these past few years. Dont whine about last year - the total number of games Gil, AJ and CB lost last year were well below avg for the rest of the NBA.

I have a sneaking suspicion Abe Pollin made it hard for EG to do much. Probably nixed any idea of trading AJ, who's value has never been higher.

But damn wont we be sorry at the end of next season if we have our 5th consecutive year of .500 ball under Eddie Jordan.

Somethings got to change. I was a fan through thick and (mostly) thin over the past 20 years. But this is killing me. How come we have legit stars who have good character, and we're just mediocre? If I were owner, heads would roll. This is unacceptable.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 223

Post#150 » by Severn Hoos » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 pm

fishercob wrote:Nonsense. A team that beats Boston twice and Dallas w/o its best player is a good team. It remains to be seen whether we'll see a healthy jelled team play together this year, so the record might not bear out anything more than mediocre though.

No D, I have yet to see anyone say that if this team is healthy it's a championship caliber team. It still has some growing to do an pieces to add. But there's this unspoken notion that you whiners are floating that implies that Ernie has had the opportunity to trade this non-championship team for a championship one. What evidence is there of that?

fisher, I agree 100% with you on this. The Wizards are a good team that can - when healthy and playing well as a team (usually that's when Etan is in street clothes) - compete with anyone. In addition to the wins this year, they have shown the ability to do well, even on the road and against some of the elite teams of the West. And although playoff basketball tends to be slower & tighter (generally working against the Wiz' strengths), the fact of a short series means anything's possible (see Golden State v. Dallas).

And of course - a trade takes two partners. I highly doubt that there was some magical trade out there that would have catapulted us to contender status. [And how are we defining "contender" anyway? THe Nash/D'Antoni Suns have not made the Finals, and their window is closing fast. The Mavs made it once, and there's no guarantee that they'll make it back any time soon. What if last year is the only time the Cavs make it with LeBron? Or the Heat with Wade? Anyone think the Nuggets are a real threat to come out of the West? It's entirely possible that these teams will have reached a maximum of one Finals trip each - the same number as Allen Iverson's Sixers - with some never making the Finals (like Ernie's Bucks). I'd rather keep the foundation, strive for consistently strong performance (obviously we're not there yet), and hope to get that breakthrough year with a puncher's chance in the Finals than to blow it all up and risk being worse off than before.]

fishercob wrote:And this notion that Eddie Jordan is at fault for the injuries is just absurd. There isn't always someone to blame in life for your misfortunes. IF anyone is to blame, it's Pollin for not exceeding the luxtax to sign a couple backups. But given the financial incentive structure for NAB owners, it's hard to blame him.

Now here's where I diverge a bit. I don't think it's absurd to assign some fault to Eddie for the injuries. Even if injuries were a purely random result of court time, then playing a guy 40 minutes instead of 35 increases his odds of getting injured in a game/month/season by 14%. And my hunch is that fatigue brings on not just high-usage type injuries such as tendinitis, but may even contribute to fluke/impact injuries as guys are slower in their reaction times. Obviously, that's utterly non-scientific, but I believe it so that makes it right for me! ;-)

On the depth question, I also have issues with Eddie's rotations because he did ride the Big 3 so hard that other guys didn't develop as quickly. When guys like Mason, Blatche, and AD got big minutes and started out of necessity, they've done pretty well for the most part. So what would have happened if EJ played the Big 3 32-36 minutes each over the past two or three seasons instead of 40+ each, while letting some of these younger guys get more minutes, more confidence, and more development? Probably a few less wins in the short run, but a win-win in the long run (less wear & tear on the Big 3, better developed bench).

Since coaches keep their jobs based on wins & losses, it's hard for me to fault Eddie for making the game-to-game decisions of riding the Big 3 as hard as he could. But that won't stop me from pointing out that it is a short-sighted strategy, IMO.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#151 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:49 pm

What is it with me agreeing with all the Republicans?

Sev, your criticism of EJ may be fair, especially since it comes with the clear understanding that EJ has been in a catch-22 in the past: ride your good players to wins, or get them some rest and lose more games. Given the Wiz's record in recent years, there haven't exactly been many wins to spare at the expense of developing bench/youth.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#152 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:01 pm

fishercob wrote:What is it with me agreeing with all the Republicans?

There is hope for you yet. :wink:
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#153 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Fisher, I am not emplying that EG had the chance to trade this team for a championship team yesterday, but this is year 4 or 5 of the EG campaign and the team is slowly regressing. Other teams are leep-frogging the Wizards and other are making themselve significantly better. And don't blame injuries, every team has them and seem to do ok-the Celtics still have the best record in the league and have played without KG for a month.

There have been plenty of moves that EG has made that have been desperate moves which haven't looked like moves that championship caliber teams make. Can you see the Spurs ponying up 5 years at 20 large for Songaila? Do you believe that Dumars would have re-signed Thomas for 6 years at $36? Or Daniels at 5 year $30 mil? Did you think that when he traded for Jamison that he'd be a significant piece for a championship caliber team? Maybe in college, but he's shown nothing to change my mind.

Yes, I might not have evidence that there was, or has been, a great trade on the table for the Wizards, but do you have evidence that there hasn't been? Is there any evidence that EG spent anytime at all working the phones to find quality trades that could help the team? What we do know is that there was a rash of activity the last few weeks and the Wizards had the cards to make a play, but EG rested on his lorals.

I have no evidence of behind the scene action from EG, but what I have are facts. And fact is the Wizards stink right now. They have dropped 11 out of 13 and barely hanging on in the East, pathetic. Another fact is that EG is in year 4 or 5 and the Wizards have managed to win one play off series against a team with its best two players injured, and they've been swept out of the playoff twice. Another fact is that this team has peaked at a 45-win season and have gotten worse each of the last three seasons.

This spoken notion about my rants and whining is that Ernie has been here long enough to make the Wizards a better team than they are not getting better, in fact, they're regressing.
RealGM

Post#154 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:25 pm

no D, somewhere between the 8 game losing streak and the way they lost to the Knicks, I came to the same conclusion: Washington is regressing.

To give a fighting analogy, I think they've been hit hard too many times and won't ever be the same confident, cohesive unit again.

Injuries might be why, but if DeShawn and AD are too hurt to play good at either end the Wizards have problems. If Eddie has to rely so heavily on Young and Blatche, I'm not taking it for granted that Gil and Caron will both be back 100% and that Gil will just be the quintessential team player and that Caron's stiff hip will just heal right away.

I think this same team that had played so tough before has 25 games to peak, be the strong defensive team, and have everyone with well-defined roles, and EJ has to suddenly become a good playoff coach.

I know the talent's better than mediocre, but I'm coming off the cloud that before this season said this team can beat anybody--even in a series.

Right now, this team seems more likely to somehow fall behind and maybe out of the playoffs.

I hope to be proven WRONG.
Bye bye Beal.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#155 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 pm

CCJ, I completely agree, and you make some good points. The Wiz have taken some pretty hard shots lately and I think it'll be a miracle for them to reshape themselves back into the team that was playing sound defense and full of confidence. There are only so many times that you can lose to terrible teams and get blown out by 30+ before it takes a mental toll on you.

The same thing happened last year. The Wizards peaked in Dec. and Jan. but as the heat started to come on they wilted. I think it's an indication that this team is soft.

I for one don't think Caron will be back again at top form this season. He seems too reluctant to shut it down for a month and that's exactly what he needs to recoup. He's too lukewarm about whether sit or try to play through it. He knows that if he doesn't play the losing will be so bad that when he comes back they'll be outta othe playoffs, but if he plays he is only 50-60% of what he really is, which is still good, but not good enough to stop the bleeding.

Regardless, I'm interested to see how his return and GA's return impact the Wizards.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,747

Post#156 » by doclinkin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Macker wrote:Somethings got to change. I was a fan through thick and (mostly) thin over the past 20 years. But this is killing me. How come we have legit stars who have good character, and we're just mediocre?

I guess this is where I differ with lower expectations and more of an appreciation that the team is _over-_ achieving.

LeBron James gives any team a chance to win. Because To borrow fishercob's line, he's sofa king great.

[I'm gonna steal that one all the time fish, thanks].

But there's a reason why the Wiz' allstars never dominate in an All-star game, and barely even register. Because, whatever their talents, the system is what helps them be great. The system is what gives them opportunity to earn allstar nods.

No question these are nice players, in many respects-- but not one of 'em would be a franchise player on another Alpha dog team. Even our most talented player recognizes it and says he'd like to be a second banana on a championship team, doesn't want to be a leader. IN some respects he was most comfortable and most dangerous when he was able to defer to Larry Hughes for half the game.

The system made journeyman Larry (on his fifth team now?) think he was an all-star. Gave twice-traded Caron the chance to develop and improve despite his 'tweener' knock. Gave the first (and second) all-star election for a player who had back-to-back 50's earlier in his career. And let Gil become a supastar.

The heavy minutes for our primary players are in sum a cause for their success, for the team's success, but also both a liability & indictment of the team overall. Liability: yes heavy minutes expose players to fatigue related injury; indictment: heavy minutes for starters tend to reflect a lack of depth on the bench.

Last year we had no bench. Just a collection of leftovers. This year we have talent, but it is 'depth-to-be'. Not yet seasoned talent. ("What were they before they were leftovers?" "Leftovers to be...")

The fact is you tend to lose games relying on rookies and young folks to pull heavy weight. Portland surprised the helloutta most folks this year. Charlotte tends to be the more likely example. In a recent broadcast they said the Wiz are the third youngest team. ('Third' seems unlikely). But no matter what, the primary bench depth we added was: Nick Young.

Plus the development of Dray (younger than our rookies, and just getting over his 'raw' phase -- in more ways than one).

And RMjunior getting acclimated to the system. Pounding the point: Mason, who never did much of anything in his NBA career until he got into the system and had a chance to integrate himself into it.

Some things take time. Wiz talent is worth less in trade now than they are worth to the team in the future. Either playing for the team, or as trade bait. Injuries aside, Gil is opting out, who's gonna sign him? Jamison -- given his leadership role it's a tricky trade, not just in local PR but league wide. Players talk, they respect loyalty, rewarding a job well done. I think Ernie's patience goes a long way towards rebuilding the franchise's rep league-wide. Might have been nice to be patient with Big Ben, Rasheed, etc, no?

Trades take talent, depth, resources (stockpiled picks), and motivation. This year we got little enough of the first three to risk blowing it all up on a gamble. The motivation comes after the playoffs, to see how far we can ride a re-invigorated roster.

Because the truth of it is evident in the record, we're nice, sometimes dangerous, but not dominant. Not top of the food chain. We have a good blend of the talent we got, and a smart coach who has designed an offense that fits the league's current vogue and the roster we got.

And, given a little seasoning, yeah maybe we got assets and depth to be that damn good team, in the conversation every year. The fact is, despite setbacks, we're developing. Getting better. Shoot, we're even playing defense this year. And Big front lines. Whatta y'all complaining about?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#157 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:no D, somewhere between the 8 game losing streak and the way they lost to the Knicks, I came to the same conclusion: Washington is regressing.

To give a fighting analogy, I think they've been hit hard too many times and won't ever be the same confident, cohesive unit again.

Injuries might be why, but if DeShawn and AD are too hurt to play good at either end the Wizards have problems. If Eddie has to rely so heavily on Young and Blatche, I'm not taking it for granted that Gil and Caron will both be back 100% and that Gil will just be the quintessential team player and that Caron's stiff hip will just heal right away.

I think this same team that had played so tough before has 25 games to peak, be the strong defensive team, and have everyone with well-defined roles, and EJ has to suddenly become a good playoff coach.

I know the talent's better than mediocre, but I'm coming off the cloud that before this season said this team can beat anybody--even in a series.

Right now, this team seems more likely to somehow fall behind and maybe out of the playoffs.

I hope to be proven WRONG.

I concure mostly, but I think we might limp into the 7th or 8th seed by the time everyone is healthy - assuming Gil can be at %100
hands11
Banned User

Post#158 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Now here's where I diverge a bit. I don't think it's absurd to assign some fault to Eddie for the injuries. Even if injuries were a purely random result of court time, then playing a guy 40 minutes instead of 35 increases his odds of getting injured in a game/month/season by 14%. And my hunch is that fatigue brings on not just high-usage type injuries such as tendinitis, but may even contribute to fluke/impact injuries as guys are slower in their reaction times. Obviously, that's utterly non-scientific, but I believe it so that makes it right for me! ;-)

On the depth question, I also have issues with Eddie's rotations because he did ride the Big 3 so hard that other guys didn't develop as quickly. When guys like Mason, Blatche, and AD got big minutes and started out of necessity, they've done pretty well for the most part. So what would have happened if EJ played the Big 3 32-36 minutes each over the past two or three seasons instead of 40+ each, while letting some of these younger guys get more minutes, more confidence, and more development? Probably a few less wins in the short run, but a win-win in the long run (less wear & tear on the Big 3, better developed bench).

Since coaches keep their jobs based on wins & losses, it's hard for me to fault Eddie for making the game-to-game decisions of riding the Big 3 as hard as he could. But that won't stop me from pointing out that it is a short-sighted strategy, IMO.

You actually are being scientific by pointing out the 14% usage increase. It hard to prove the fatigue issue but it's common knowledge that you get injured more easily when you tired.

I hope this view become more widely adopted. I have been trying to make this case for a while but it hasn't stuck with as many members as I would have thought. I think you hit on all the issues.

I greatest improvement this team can make is to get a better HC.
hands11
Banned User

Post#159 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:51 pm

fishercob wrote:What is it with me agreeing with all the Republicans?

Sev, your criticism of EJ may be fair, especially since it comes with the clear understanding that EJ has been in a catch-22 in the past: ride your good players to wins, or get them some rest and lose more games. Given the Wiz's record in recent years, there haven't exactly been many wins to spare at the expense of developing bench/youth.

Sure there have been wins to give up. The short term losses today are made up for by the better developed and healthier players later. The net effect is more win and healthier and better developed players come playoffs.

Or look at it this way. Many of our wins are empty wins. What have they gotten us? I would gladly give up a few wins early in the season for wins latter. I would also have risked a playoffs game loss last year to get Blatche experience. Cuz in the end, we lost those games anyway. But with those looses, we didn't even gain Blatche any playoff experience.

Tha'ts a loose loose.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,282

Post#160 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 pm

doclinkin wrote:I think Ernie's patience goes a long way towards rebuilding the franchise's rep league-wide. Might have been nice to be patient with Big Ben, Rasheed, etc, no?

...a little patience with CWebb would have been nice as well.

And, given a little seasoning, yeah maybe we got assets and depth to be that damn good team, in the conversation every year. The fact is, despite setbacks, we're developing. Getting better. Shoot, we're even playing defense this year. And Big front lines. Whatta y'all complaining about?

Most people come to these boards to complain...but, hey, that's what free speech is all about. I just wish they'd give this team and its coach a chance to see what it can accomplish with a healthy lineup.

When you think about it, the Zards haven't played with a full deck since GA went down last April and CB went out shortly after that. That's a long time to be without one (often two) of your top two players.

Out of the last 65 Wizard games, CB and GA have been on the court together a grand total of 7 times.

Meanwhile, we've got a bench core of AB, Mason and Nick. All decent and developing talents, but raw as hell.

But it's hard to sell patience and continuity when the team is struggling and beat up, when you lack that penetrating/distributing PG that is desperately needed in the absence of GA, and when the coach is making mistakes--as any coach will do.

As for me, I'm keeping the faith.

Return to Washington Wizards