ImageImageImageImageImage

Tomorrow's news:Wiz Destroy the Spurs--shock the world. GT.

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Will the Wiz shock the world?

Nah, we always knew the Wiz would win.
17%
Tim Duncan is kinda goofy lookin.
33%
Popovich needs a dermatologist.
33%
You coudn't get a better nickname than "Manu'?
17%

Total votes: 6

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,138

Post#141 » by miller31time » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:21 am

I wonder if all of these injuries on the Wiz are just the universe's way of evening things out.

Remember, for a long portion (04-06) we were extremely healthy. Basically no major injuries. Very lucky.

Now? Not so much.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#142 » by miller31time » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:23 am

gowiz999 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No way. Again EJ wasn't great but we were winning going in the 4th. It's not his fault that the team **** chokes every freaking time in the 4th. This team just collapses time and time again the same way. It must kill Gil to watch this team go down the tank. I know he wants to play and help us out ASAP.

We start the 4th quarter off with a pretty poor lineup and keep it that way for 5-6 minutes. This gives our opponent a lot of time to build up a lead. Then, when we put in the players who need to be playing, they do everything they can to cut the lead down (and DO in some games), but run out of gas because it was too much to begin with.

Not saying we should play our starters 48 minutes each. But the timing for their substitutions is pretty poor and leads to a lot of our bad stretches.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#143 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:23 am

gowiz999 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No way. Again EJ wasn't great but we were winning going in the 4th. It's not his fault that the team **** chokes every freaking time in the 4th. This team just collapses time and time again the same way. It must kill Gil to watch this team go down the tank. I know he wants to play and help us out ASAP.

This one wasn't on EJ but he did lose the momentum the exact same way, by subbing Brendan after a hot third quarter.

The subs with Opec and Darius against SA second unit got burned. Then Popovic gangstered about 5 points by getting Ginobili and Oberto back out there before EJ came back with Wood after Blatche had been in.

This team really needs a Korver type shooting SF off the bench.

Tim Thomas is worth Darius and the MEM first at this point if they don't want to sink out of the playoff hunt.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,038

Post#144 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:23 am

LOL at benching Jamison.

Newsflash: THERE'S NOBODY ELSE.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,111

Post#145 » by JWizmentality » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:26 am

*sigh* I'm liking Twan less and less as the days go by. I do however, absolutely LUV his trade value.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by miller31time » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:27 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Tim Thomas is worth Darius and the MEM first at this point if they don't want to sink out of the playoff hunt.

I think you and I are alone on that one. I'd love that trade.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#147 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:27 am

miller31time wrote:I wonder if all of these injuries on the Wiz are just the universe's way of evening things out.

Remember, for a long portion (04-06) we were extremely healthy. Basically no major injuries. Very lucky.

Now? Not so much.

I don't remember that. Seem to me every year we have injuries going in or during the season.

04-05

Hughes 61 games
AJ 68
Dixon 63
Etan 47
Brown 42
Blake 44
Hayes 54

05-06

Jayes 21
AB 29
ETan 71

At least if was only 3 players that year.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#148 » by FreeBalling » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:31 am

No Gil no Buttler, looks the same as last years last 14 games. Lots of L's.
:nod:
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
gowiz999
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#149 » by gowiz999 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:32 am

Rafael122 wrote:LOL at benching Jamison.

Newsflash: THERE'S NOBODY ELSE.

Obviously you can't bench AJ when CB is out but if/when CB comes back AB should start along side Brendan in the front court.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#150 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:34 am

miller31time wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We start the 4th quarter off with a pretty poor lineup and keep it that way for 5-6 minutes. This gives our opponent a lot of time to build up a lead. Then, when we put in the players who need to be playing, they do everything they can to cut the lead down (and DO in some games), but run out of gas because it was too much to begin with.

Not saying we should play our starters 48 minutes each. But the timing for their substitutions is pretty poor and leads to a lot of our bad stretches.

I'll add. First, they are in a hole. Not only do they have to over come the hole but they first need to change the tide. Add to that they have to do in at the end of the game when team are playing there hardest.

EJ simply makes it harder on his players.

I really like our talent short of Songaila.

But EJ runs them into the ground so they don't last the season, Add to that his crappy lines and you have a very talented team that doesn't go anywhere.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#151 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:38 am

I like how people are complaining about riding the good players too hard, while also complaining about the poor rotations with no good players on the floor.

Tonight was not EJ's fault. His rotations were fine. He sat Haywood when he did because that's when San Antonio sat Duncan. He brought Haywood back in the first break of action after San Antonio brought Duncan back. I can't really complain. I felt he should have brought Haywood in at the 8 minute mark and not the 6:30 mark, but that 1:30 didn't make the difference in the game.

We simply don't have the horses without Butler in the lineup.

I thought we played well. We just missed too many 3-pointers.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#152 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:39 am

miller31time wrote:With the proper rotations, this would actually be a win (in my book at least).

I hope you are kidding Miller. I wouldn't call myself an E.J. supporter, but blaming every loss on E.J. is getting old. We lost because we are missing two all-stars, our starting PG is playing on a bum ankle, Jamison is in a slump, our bench has been giving us squat lately, and we played the frickin' World Champions tonight. I'm actually surprised we kept it fairly close.

I'm unhappy with the recent losses just like the next guy. But anyone who has played the game and has coached, should realize that its the players that primarily win and lose games, not the coach. I agree that there are some coaching decisions made by E.J. that make absolutely no sense in the world (like playing Butler so minutes in a losing cause against the Lakers, or having Jamison in the last seconds of a game when you need a stop). And, I have no problem with people criticizing E.J. for those types of decisions. But, actually blaming just about every loss on E.J. is just ridiculous.
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#153 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:42 am

nate33 wrote:I like how people are complaining about riding the good players too hard, while also complaining about the poor rotations with no good players on the floor.

Tonight was not EJ's fault. His rotations were fine. He sat Haywood when he did because that's when San Antonio sat Duncan. He brought Haywood back in the first break of action after San Antonio brought Duncan back. I can't really complain. I felt he should have brought Haywood in at the 8 minute mark and not the 6:30 mark, but that 1:30 didn't make the difference in the game.

We simply don't have the horses without Butler in the lineup.

I thought we played well. We just missed too many 3-pointers.

:clap:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#154 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:43 am

hands11 wrote:05-06

Jayes 21
AB 29
ETan 71

At least if was only 3 players that year.

Those missed games were actually an improvement for the team.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#155 » by MJG » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:44 am

nate33 wrote:We simply don't have the horses without Butler in the lineup.

Everyone needs to read this over and over until it sinks in. Realize and understand that if we played the whole year without Arenas and Butler, we'd be one of the worst teams in the league. Five game losing streaks would hardly be uncommon.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,038

Post#156 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:45 am

Putting Jamison on the bench is completely pointless. Butler started here off the bench and he ended up playing what...like 28 minutes a game before he moved into the starting spot? It really doesn't matter. Chances are Jamison will play his 40 minutes anyway.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 401

Post#157 » by Silvie Lysandra » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:00 am

Tim Thomas is worth Darius and the MEM first at this point if they don't want to sink out of the playoff hunt.

Not alone; I think our biggest need is another 20 mpg scorer. Thomas can do a lot of things in this offense that Songalia can't, are roughly equal on D, and would stretch the floor.

Personally, my dream trade (which went down the tubes today) would be Songalia + Mem 1st for Marcus Banks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#158 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:02 am

nate, and dandridge I also thought they played well.

SA has the best perimeter defense in the league and it was no coincidence there were a lot of missed threes. They know Roger Mason and they got up on him.

Somebody posted early on when the Wizards were competitive or ahead that SA looked like they knew they could win any time they wanted to.

I agree with that and feel there's nothing to do but look forward to the next game and maybe some trade ideas.
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#159 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:18 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:nate, and dandridge I also thought they played well.

SA has the best perimeter defense in the league and it was no coincidence there were a lot of missed threes. They know Roger Mason and they got up on him.

Somebody posted early on when the Wizards were competitive or ahead that SA looked like they knew they could win any time they wanted to.

I agree with that and feel there's nothing to do but look forward to the next game and maybe some trade ideas.

I'm glad you realized this loss had nothing to do with E.J. Unfortunately, with Butler hurt, AD hobbled, and AJ looking tired, I'm not looking forward to the next few games. If we can win one game in this road trip (most likely the Clippers game), I'll be satisfied. If we win two, I'll be estatic. Right now, the main goal should be to hover around .500 until Butler and then Arenas come back healthy and then see if we can make a run.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#160 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:22 am

SA - 26 assists, Wiz 13. If I am not mistaken, we have the worst assist numbers in the league. When we get that stat up, we win.

Return to Washington Wizards