ImageImageImageImageImage

Will EG make a move before the trade deadline?

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Will EG make a move before the trade deadline?

Make a move
18%
Stay put
82%

Total votes: 34

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#161 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 pm

DCZards wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Most people come to these boards to complain...but, hey, that's what free speech is all about. I just wish they'd give this team and its coach a chance to see what it can accomplish with a healthy lineup.

When you think about it, the Zards haven't played with a full deck since GA went down last April and CB went out shortly after that. That's a long time to be without one (often two) of your top two players.

Out of the last 65 Wizard games, CB and GA have been on the court together a grand total of 7 times.

Meanwhile, we've got a bench core of AB, Mason and Nick. All decent and developing talents, but raw as hell.

But it's hard to sell patience and continuity when the team is struggling and beat up, when you lack that penetrating/distributing PG that is desperately needed in the absence of GA, and when the coach is making mistakes--as any coach will do.

As for me, I'm keeping the faith.

Damn, DCZ. You put it that way and it does put things into perspective a bit.

Can we just all join hands and sing kumbaya and direct our collective fan-ergy to getting this group healthy. If we have a solid half season with our top 8 guys healthy and then we're mediocre I'll start to entertain big trades and firings. But until then, lets just get our boys well.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,392

Post#162 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm

DCZards wrote:

...a little patience with CWebb would have been nice as well.

There's no C-Webb, Sheed or Big Ben on this roster. Nor is their anyone on this board who thinks like Wes Unseld.

Blatche is the only young guy IMO with the potential to be an above average starter on a good team. I don't see many people on here suggesting we trade him.

Most people come to these boards to complain...but, hey, that's what free speech is all about. I just wish they'd give this team and its coach a chance to see what it can accomplish with a healthy lineup.

When you think about it, the Zards haven't played with a full deck since GA went down last April and CB went out shortly after that. That's a long time to be without one (often two) of your top two players.

Out of the last 65 Wizard games, CB and GA have been on the court together a grand total of 7 times.

While you use that as optimism for the future, I think that's a pretty damning indictment on CB and GA. Maybe we really can't be dependent on either to stay healthy over the course of the season. CB seems to have a lil' Larry Hughes in him. We can count on him missing 10-15 games per year (compared to 20 for LH) and I'd be hard pressed to believe Gil is going to come back at 100% coming off of two major knee surgeries (including microfracture surgery) within the past year. I think its going to take at least another year for him to get fully comfortable with that knee looking at some of the comparative cases out there.

Having patience for a 40-45 win team in the Leastern Conference just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. We can continue to use injuries as an excuse and judge this team based on two or three games were guys played above their heads (Boston & Dallas) and make presumptive conclusions and pray for health. But meanwhile other franchises are moving forward and passing us by because they are not frozen by excuses and their constantly trying to improve.

BTW People on this board were talking about having patience before you even made your first post here.

Unlike you I don't get a great amount of joy from simply experiencing two or three playoff games per year at the Verizon Center. I guess that makes me a complainer. As a fan in the league where more than half the teams make the playoffs each year, I don't think its unreasonable to want or expect more.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,747

Post#163 » by doclinkin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:On the depth question, I also have issues with Eddie's rotations because he did ride the Big 3 so hard that other guys didn't develop as quickly.

So what would have happened if EJ played the Big 3 32-36 minutes each over the past two or three seasons instead of 40+ each, while letting some of these younger guys get more minutes, more confidence, and more development?

Well I'm sure we would have developed the heck out of PJ Ramos and Donnell Taylor. And Andray Blatche's gunshot lung.

Considering that we have been fighting for playoff spots in each of the last few seasons, and considering that we needed every one of Gils points to win on last second shots for a few of the games, it prob'ly would have meant that we missed the postseason. What's more beneficial to the improvement of the team overall? a few minutes for rookies here and there who are not yet ready to play? Or playoff experience for vets who need to learn what it takes on the biggest stage.

Seems to me I'd take losing on a last-second travel to LeBron (and storing up revenge tickets) over missing it entirely, scrapping the whole team and starting over from the ground up.

The key is that we are just now developing a talented bench. Barring trades and quality veteran pick-ups it'll take a couple years even to develop this bunch.

In the past, resting our mainstay scorers would have meant: more Ruffin, more Hayes. And resting Gil (considering how terrible Daniels was the first half of last year) would have meant: more losses. And likely no chance to re-sign him this year.

Key lies in signing Gil, Antawn to reasonable deals, then deciding what to do with our assets _after_ this year based on chemsitry and further development.

And again: we may have sneaked into a strategy: rest your starters with injury for half the year, then come back and click late season. God knows Shaq has been employing the tactic for years now.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 821

Post#164 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:54 am

Dat2U wrote:Having patience for a 40-45 win team in the Leastern Conference just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. We can continue to use injuries as an excuse and judge this team based on two or three games were guys played above their heads (Boston & Dallas) and make presumptive conclusions and pray for health. But meanwhile other franchises are moving forward and passing us by because they are not frozen by excuses and their constantly trying to improve.

:clap:

Preach!

Return to Washington Wizards