Official Trade Thread - Part XLIV

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

gesa2
Rookie
And1: 272

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLIV 

Post#1861 » by gesa2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:01 pm

payitforward wrote:

I do think Ted Leonsis prioritizes those things, however. I.e. I don't think he has a prime concern with winning -- especially not with winning a title.

I completely agree. But we have to acknowledge that trading Rui and giving up on that cash flow is not congruent with this as a philosophy.
AFM
RealGM
And1: 6,312

Post#1862 » by AFM » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:07 pm

Ted said this summer that Tommy has "the complete green light" and he's "never said no" to any of Tommy's move. We don't actually know how hands on of an owner Ted is.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#1863 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:48 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I would love to give Cooper a shot and Goodwin and Quinton Jackson. There is a lot of flexibility at the edges of the squad we should take advantage of.

The problem is to find roster spots & room under the tax.

Trading Rui for Nunn created $1m of breathing room -- right now, we are @$1.36m under the tax.

I guess we could waive Todd & then sign Goodwin -- & still sneak under the tax. But... if you can believe it... Todd is guaranteed for next year! Tossing him aside would make Tommy look foolish; he's not going to volunteer for that.

Basically, unless someone takes Todd or Barton off our hands in a trade, w/o sending back a player, we will be hard-pressed to convert Goodwin.

OTOH, we could give Quenton Jackson a 2-way contract.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1864 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:54 pm

gesa2 wrote:
payitforward wrote:I do think Ted Leonsis prioritizes those things, however. I.e. I don't think he has a prime concern with winning -- especially not with winning a title.

I completely agree. But we have to acknowledge that trading Rui and giving up on that cash flow is not congruent with this as a philosophy.

Rui was going to cost $$$ for next year. Either he had to go or Kuz did. Otherwise there was no chance of staying under the tax.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1865 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:35 pm

AFM wrote:Ted said this summer that Tommy has "the complete green light" and he's "never said no" to any of Tommy's move. We don't actually know how hands on of an owner Ted is.

Fair enough. & I can't think of a move Tommy has made that would have been problematic for Ted. In fact it's pretty much the opposite --

-- he moved John
-- he got a boatload of assets for Russ
-- he turned around the internal friction in the team last year, dumped an awful contract, & acquired KP -- all in a single move!

As has been said many times, if Tommy had managed his 4 drafts creatively, he'd be golden.

How about just 3 minor changes, all in R2:

1. Take Bol Bol in R2 of 2019 (instead of Admiral Schofield*).
2. Take Kmart Jr in R2 of 2020 (instead of trading the #37 pick).
3. Take Herb Jones (instead of Todd) in 2021.

Now, those 3 small changes don't begin to describe how well GM Tommy actually could have done in the draft so far! But even just those moves would have resulted in a far better team!

Here's hoping we see another exciting move in the next few days!
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,059

Post#1866 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 3, 2023 4:00 pm

payitforward wrote:Whoa there, Zards!!! I meant no such thing, & the thought that you, or any of my amigos here, would prioritize those characteristics of Kuz never passed through my mind even once.

PIF, I apologize if I misinterpreted your words. But there have been numerous times when you appear to admonish others on this board for not taking as seriously the stats and #s you subscribe to and/or for focusing solely on the points a player scores or his marketability.

I'm not even certain that "marketability" is the primary concern of Leonsis...as you often claim it is.

payitforward wrote:In a way it's a little bit like the idea of "clutch." Obviously, a made bucket in the first quarter has exactly the same impact on the final score as a made bucket in the last 5 minutes of the game. That's from the "competition" angle on the game.

From the other angle, the entertainment angle, that bucket late in the 4th quarter seems more important somehow than whether the shot in quarter 1 went in or not. Yet, if you need it in the last 5 minutes, that means you didn't make it in quarter 1. & if you'd made it in quarter 1 you wouldn't need it in the last 5 minutes!

I don't really agree with this…because I do believe there's such a thing as "clutch." I believe it can be more difficult to score in the last few mins of a game than it is in the first quarter.

For one, players are human and they're certain to feel more pressure/stress at crunch time as opposed to the freewheeling first quarter. And not every NBA player has the confidence and mental toughness to step up and take that "clutch" shot.

But, even more importantly, an opponent’s defensive intensity in the last few minutes of a close game is almost always going to be ratcheted up a few notches from where it was in the first few minutes of the game or the first quarter. That's just a fact, imo.

Yes, 2 pts are 2 pts whether they’re in the first quarter or in the last 5 mins of the game. But those 2 (or 3) pts near the end of the game are often harder to come by than they are in the first quarter.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,378

Post#1867 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:25 pm

Another made up trade on the Bill Simmons podcast- Moody and Wiseman for Kuzma.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#1868 » by Frichuela » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:54 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Another made up trade on the Bill Simmons podcast- Moody and Wiseman for Kuzma.

Pass! Swap Moody with Kuminga and maybe we have a conversation!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,853

Post#1869 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:14 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Another made up trade on the Bill Simmons podcast- Moody and Wiseman for Kuzma.

I am passing for the simple reason that like Rui, Wiseman has shown nothing with regards to a 2nd contract. Wiseman will get one, but what do you pay the kid who hasn't done much of anything? Shep can't just get out of bed and offer him $15 million a year just because.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1870 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:20 pm

I'm just putting it out there, I'd be shocked if the Nets get a first round pick at this rate for KI considering how late in the season it is and Irving requesting a trade wipes away the Nets' leverage.

The tradeable contracts/players we have would be KP, Kuzma, Morris, Wright, Davis and Barton. I think we're one of the few teams that could probably make this trade and be OK with Irving walking away if it meant only including 2nd round picks. So I'm thinking something like Morris, Barton, Davis and then like 2 or 3 smaller contracts we have, i.e. Gill, Todd, etc for Irving.

PG - Irving/Wright/Goodwin
SG - Beal/Kispert/Nunn
SF - Kuzma/Deni
PF - Porzingis/Gibson
C - Gafford/Carey

I think this puts the Wiz over the tax but Ted's going to have home sell outs and it wouldn't shock me if this puts them in the 6th seed at least which means 2 guaranteed home playoff games.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,506

Post#1871 » by NatP4 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:41 pm

Nets are a good team that probably want contributing roster players back in return. They need some serious guard help outside of Kyrie, probably have interest in Morris.

I would guess something like Morris+Kuzma+Barton 2025 1st. I would definitely make that trade.

Kyrie-Beal-Kispert-???-Porzingis
Wright-Goodwin-Avdija-???-Gafford
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1872 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:54 pm

NatP4 wrote:Nets are a good team that probably want contributing roster players back in return. They need some serious guard help outside of Kyrie, probably have interest in Morris.

I would guess something like Morris+Kuzma+Barton 2025 1st. I would definitely make that trade.

I would rather keep Kuzma and trade him for something else or sign him long term than to add him in a trade for Irving.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Post#1873 » by WallToWall » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:08 pm

NatP4 wrote:Nets are a good team that probably want contributing roster players back in return. They need some serious guard help outside of Kyrie, probably have interest in Morris.

There arent many teams in position to make a trade for KI. Lakers would be a good destination, as he is more likely to resign with them. Lakers can certainly throw a few 1st rnd picks in trade along with Westbrook. That said, the Wizards should make a play for KI.
Kuzma + Barton + Davis for KI works in the trade checker. I cant see us added 1st rnd picks to the deal because, I doubt KI resigns with us, and that would be too much to pay for a half season rental. Maybe if we add a bunch of 2nd rnd picks, it makes things more palatable from our perspective. However, it may not be the best deal that the Nets can get, given what the Lakers can throw at them.

Edit: politics may make this a no-go from the Wizards perspective. Avdija and KI's "beliefs" may not gel well. They will need to clear the air.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#1874 » by gesa2 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:11 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

I would rather keep Kuzma and trade him for something else or sign him long term than to add him in a trade for Irving.

Can’t see Ted’s emphasis on “good guys” fitting with Irving. Gawd if we got him we’d probably give him a 5 year max contract only to have him decide he wants to fly on Space X in the middle of the next season
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1875 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:33 pm

BTW, I'm not advocating for trading for Irving AND signing him long term. I think a Barton/Morris/Davis/leftovers/2nd round picks for Irving is what I would do knowing full well he's leaving this summer. I'm out if the Nets are asking for first rounders, Porzingis, Deni, Wright, etc.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,902

Post#1876 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:49 pm

I have no interest in Kyrie. That guy is a coach killer unless he has an elite teammate to keep him in line. He was a loser in Cleveland before Lebron arrived; he totally sabotaged the Celtics; and he was a flake in Brooklyn until the past 2 months.

He is a talented player and maybe there is a team with the infrastructure to take him on and motivate him to play well, but that team is not us.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1877 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:52 pm

The obvious outcome would be a Lakers trade. It makes a ton of sense for LA because Lebron can manage Kyrie, and it allows the Lakers to operate as an above-the-cap team next year and retain both Kyrie and Rui.

The Westbrook/KD reunion should be interesting...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1878 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:56 pm

payitforward wrote:Basically, unless someone takes Todd or Barton off our hands in a trade, w/o sending back a player, we will be hard-pressed to convert Goodwin.

We can just buy out any one of Barton, Nunn, or Carey Jr. I'd prefer to see them buy out Todd, but I agree that they won't do it because he is under contract for an extra year.

Man, it's such a disaster having utterly useless young players like Todd, Carey Jr. and Davis not only costing us cap room, but taking up roster spots as well.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#1879 » by tleikheen » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:00 pm

Personally I dont care about Kyrie's so called "baggage" ,I know the type of ppl who hate him.
BUT
Kyrie Irving ,Joe Harris ( $54 mil) for Bradley Beal and Monte Morris ($52 mil) is pretty close .

Two things though ,would Beal be willing to go to Brooklyn and would Irving sign with the Wiz.
Irving gives the Wiz one of the most elite PG's in the League and would Beal think him and KD win games together. I think it would be Win Win for both teams.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1880 » by keynote » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:00 pm

No thanks to bringing on a 5%er to play alongside Turbo.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards