OT- Michael Wilbon

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: OT- Michael Wilbon 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2010 4:46 pm

go'stags wrote:Boswell is a GREAT baseball writer. His Redskins writing is sometimes a little too "fluffy" for me, and when he writes about the Wizards i get the feeling the editor just told him he had to write something about them. But I'll read anything he has to say about baseball.

No doubt about it - at least in the pre internet era, Bos was the man for baseball - what a great baseball writer - and he was it in the DC area. I think Dan Shaunesy (sp?) also covered the O's for a couple of years and was very good - before going to Boston. But Bos was the man. It must be something like 30 years that he's been doing his thing for the Post.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#22 » by barelyawake » Wed Jun 2, 2010 4:50 pm

Ok Nate, heads-up because I'm about to venture into the realm of the unlikely once more. Since I'm not a capologist, I have a question (a few actually). Could we accept the option on Josh, and then do a sign and trade for Turkeyglue and Bosh (with Arenas and Josh being the main contracts coming from our side)? And if so, then how much capspace would we have left to spend? I'm guessing we'd still have around ten million, which we could spend on a SG. Again, just doing some mental sudoku for giggles. So, we'd have Bosh and Wall (with Blatche, Young and Mcgee to use or trade), plus ten million to sign a SG. Probably still not enough to win a title.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#23 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 5:37 pm

barelyawake wrote:Ok Nate, heads-up because I'm about to venture into the realm of the unlikely once more. Since I'm not a capologist, I have a question (a few actually). Could we accept the option on Josh, and then do a sign and trade for Turkeyglue and Bosh (with Arenas and Josh being the main contracts coming from our side)? And if so, then how much capspace would we have left to spend? I'm guessing we'd still have around ten million, which we could spend on a SG. Again, just doing some mental sudoku for giggles. So, we'd have Bosh and Wall (with Blatche, Young and Mcgee to use or trade), plus ten million to sign a SG. Probably still not enough to win a title.

I did think about that possibility, I will post the details to the trade thread. Reader's digest version it could be done with cap space(can take on salaries if you are under the cap).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,817

Post#24 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 6:20 pm

Bosh will cost $17M. Hedo will cost $11.3M after his trade kicker. Outgoing salary is $17.7M for Arenas and 11.8M for Howard. The salaries match up just fine. We would have about $8.4M in cap space after accounting for our 3 draft picks.

I don't see Toronto doing it though. They're overpaying Howard an awful lot just for the right to overpay Arenas. It makes more sense for them to do the same trade, but without Howard coming back. (We have the cap room to absorb the salary difference.) Either way, we'd be left with Bosh, Hedo and $8.4M in cap space.

Whether or not Howard is included, I'm sure Toronto can do better in a Bosh S&T.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,227

Post#25 » by Dat2U » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:02 pm

I think the Lakers trading Andrew Bynum for Bosh in a S&T makes too much sense for both sides.

If I'm Toronto and I know Bosh has one foot out the door, I'm pushing him to sign with the Lakers real hard. It also ensures Bosh doesn't go to an Eastern Conference rival.

As for Wilbon, I really think he hates the Wizards. Hedo would be an even bigger curse on our franchise. He's older, incredibly lazy & even more of a malcontent than Gil is. And even a worse fit considering he's a ball-dominate point forward. It seems like every suggestion or idea Wilbon has even had for the Bullets/Wizards has been gawd awful.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,507

Post#26 » by mhd » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:06 pm

Wilbon is a total moron who knows nothing about the cap. He said trade Arenas for Biedrins+Barn Davis even though Biedrins was a poison pill player at the time. No way could a trade like that happen under the CBA, but that doesn't stop him from saying it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,817

Post#27 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:21 pm

Dat2U wrote:I think the Lakers trading Andrew Bynum for Bosh in a S&T makes too much sense for both sides.

I never really saw the motivation for LA. Bosh is a great talent, but he's a bit redundant with Gasol. I think LA has a pretty good 3-big rotation with Gasol, Bynum and Odom. They can go huge, or they can go skilled.

I like the Bosh/Bynum swap from Toronto's standpoint, but not LA's.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#28 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jun 2, 2010 8:22 pm

Wizards2Lottery wrote:Wilbon loves to talk out of his butt. I make it a point to never read anything he ever puts out, especially after his incredibly ignorant comments after Sean Taylor's death.

Incredibly insensitive and just flat wrong, too.

I've lost all respect for Wilbon.
Bye bye Beal.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#29 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 8:32 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I think the Lakers trading Andrew Bynum for Bosh in a S&T makes too much sense for both sides.

I never really saw the motivation for LA. Bosh is a great talent, but he's a bit redundant with Gasol. I think LA has a pretty good 3-big rotation with Gasol, Bynum and Odom. They can go huge, or they can go skilled.

I like the Bosh/Bynum swap from Toronto's standpoint, but not LA's.

It seems like Bynum is injured all the time. Bosh would give them a more reliable option.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,227

Post#30 » by Dat2U » Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:28 pm

verbal8 wrote:It seems like Bynum is injured all the time. Bosh would give them a more reliable option.

Agreed, its not perfect fit for LA, but its not like Bynum has proven to be reliable at this stage. And honestly the Bynum/Gasol pairing doesn't work real well b/c they tend to get in each other's way. Odom & Gasol works far better. Also, Bosh's face up game would give Gasol more space to operate in the post.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#31 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:
verbal8 wrote:It seems like Bynum is injured all the time. Bosh would give them a more reliable option.

Agreed, its not perfect fit for LA, but its not like Bynum has proven to be reliable at this stage. And honestly the Bynum/Gasol pairing doesn't work real well b/c they tend to get in each other's way. Odom & Gasol works far better. Also, Bosh's face up game would give Gasol more space to operate in the post.

It's got to be working well enough. They might be NBA Champions in 2 weeks.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#32 » by sfam » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:50 pm

I think readers looking for "truth" in a long-time sports columnist are rarely gonna be happy. Columnists write their opinions. From this perspective, I think Wilbon has always been an interesting read. He's sometimes outrageous, often wrong, but to me at least, is always interested in what he's writing about, and rarely seems to be going through the motions. I used to love reading Kornheiser and Wilbon ragging each other in their columns, and love it just as much on PTI.

I definitely grew up reading these guys so I'm sure I'm biased, but I think a lot of the Wilbon hate is misplaced. And has been said, Wilbon FAR surpasses Steven "scream every word" Smith.
VictorPage44
Senior
And1: 1

Post#33 » by VictorPage44 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 6:22 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Wizards2Lottery wrote:Wilbon loves to talk out of his butt. I make it a point to never read anything he ever puts out, especially after his incredibly ignorant comments after Sean Taylor's death.

Incredibly insensitive and just flat wrong, too.

I've lost all respect for Wilbon.

Ya, thats what turned me off as well. Sean Taylor was ten times the person Wilbon ever was. So is Gilbert Arenas. Wilbon is a boring, bland person with rarely anything new to add. If he takes his own stance, (his take on Arenas and Taylor were right in line with the national media perspective) he's usually wrong. For a journalist he isnt that bad though.
VictorPage44
Senior

Post#34 » by VictorPage44 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 6:27 pm

fishercob wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

It's got to be working well enough. They might be NBA Champions in 2 weeks.

ya but that isnt because of Bynum. The Lakers are stacked. Bynum's only averaging 25 MPG and 9 PPG these playoffs. With Bosh, they'd easily be better. And if they want to sign another big, defensive center this offseason after they make a Bosh-Bynum trade, I'm sure they'll have guys lining up for the role.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#35 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Jun 4, 2010 12:10 am

Yep, he is a hack. His Sean Taylor comment disgusted me. I wish he would move to Chicago and cover them and if he ever has a nice thing to say about Washington sports (which he hardly ever does), he'll go back on his word in a heartbeat as soon as a player pushes a camera out of the way. Oh and his whole flip flop on Arenas is hysterical. I hate that he is a national figure because his opinions are more worthless than the average person.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,717

Post#36 » by montestewart » Fri Jun 4, 2010 12:14 am

Tyrone Messby wrote:Yep, he is a hack. His Sean Taylor comment disgusted me. I wish he would move to Chicago and cover them and if he ever has a nice thing to say about Washington sports (which he hardly ever does), he'll go back on his word in a heartbeat as soon as a player pushes a camera out of the way. Oh and his whole flip flop on Arenas is hysterical. I hate that he is a national figure because his opinions are more worthless than the average person.

Not to rehash an inappropriate comment, but several have mentioned it, and I don't recall what Wilbon said and when.
VictorPage44
Senior

Post#37 » by VictorPage44 » Fri Jun 4, 2010 3:23 am

montestewart wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:Yep, he is a hack. His Sean Taylor comment disgusted me. I wish he would move to Chicago and cover them and if he ever has a nice thing to say about Washington sports (which he hardly ever does), he'll go back on his word in a heartbeat as soon as a player pushes a camera out of the way. Oh and his whole flip flop on Arenas is hysterical. I hate that he is a national figure because his opinions are more worthless than the average person.

Not to rehash an inappropriate comment, but several have mentioned it, and I don't recall what Wilbon said and when.

He said Sean Taylor's death wasnt a suprise because of all the things he had been through up to that point. He brought up all his prior transgressions; the rookie symposium incident, the atv incident, the michael pittman thing. Wilbon basically painted Sean Taylor as a bad person and said that his murder was well within the realm of possibility GIVEN TAYLOR'S CHARACTER.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#38 » by montestewart » Fri Jun 4, 2010 3:32 am

VictorPage44 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

He said Sean Taylor's death wasnt a suprise because of all the things he had been through up to that point. He brought up all his prior transgressions; the rookie symposium incident, the atv incident, the michael pittman thing. Wilbon basically painted Sean Taylor as a bad person and said that his murder was well within the realm of possibility GIVEN TAYLOR'S CHARACTER.

Got it. I don't read Wilbon anymore, but I read him when he first arrived in DC (as an adult, so there's no sentimentality about it) and that reeks of his contrived brashness that pretends to be honestly instructing about the "real world," while seeming in fact to be cloistered in a fantasy world, unable to offer any useful insight into anything, and too trite and corny to be otherwise enjoyable.

If Arenas was walking down the street and a drunk driver jumped the curb and hit and killed him and a few other random pedestrians, Wilbon would say "I told you so."
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,511

Post#39 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 4, 2010 11:12 am

montestewart wrote:
If Arenas was walking down the street and a drunk driver jumped the curb and hit and killed him and a few other random pedestrians, Wilbon would say "I told you so."

Actually he would say: "It doesn't surprise me". Wilbon's reflex pose on almost any issue, basically his entire career, is based on a pose of seeming nonplussed. That's his signature superpower.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by montestewart » Fri Jun 4, 2010 11:56 am

doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Actually he would say: "It doesn't surprise me". Wilbon's reflex pose on almost any issue, basically his entire career, is based on a pose of seeming nonplussed. That's his signature superpower.

Unless Northwestern or some other delusion sends him into gush mode.

Return to Washington Wizards