Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,038

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 8 

Post#21 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:51 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:Good for Connelly -- main point is that the Minny job was far far more appealing than our mess in 2019.

Also... Can someone explain to me how Connelly is somehow considered that great of a PoBO?
He was gifted Jokic late in the 2nd (Not his find either, but another discussion) and has failed to put a team around him.
- Traded their 2019 pick to dump salary (Poole, Keldon Johnson, Claxton, and Gafford were in the next 10 picks)
- Drafted Nnaji (22) and Hampton (25) over Quickley, Pritchard, and Bane
- Let Hartenstein walk and signed bums like JaMychal Green and Austin Rivers.
- And of Course...Gave the Rookie Max to and injury riddled chucker like MPJ AN ENTIRE YEAR EARLIER THAN NECESSARY.

Sorry, but I see a solid B track record if we are being nice.
How do you have the MVP and greatest Big man of this generation, pay the luxury tax, and still be a 6th seed.

I have seen far more creativity from Tommy than from Connelly, and thats not saying much.

He's in the West which is harder, but he did draft Bones Hyland. I agree with your overall point though, he's not a top 5 GM, but he's probably top 10 (6-10), top 15 for sure. Getting a generational talent does cover a lot of warts to be fair. How many years did Ernie get out of draft Wall?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,259

Post#22 » by payitforward » Wed May 25, 2022 2:40 am

Rafael122 wrote:...he did draft Bones Hyland....

I'm at a loss to understand why people think that was such a great pick, I really am. He didn't have any kind of extraordinary rookie season -- he didn't even have a particularly good rookie season. If I look at good picks from the point where he was picked on down, a whole bunch were a lot better.

Reaves, Dosunmu, Aaron Wiggins, Herb Jones -- all taken later than Hyland (Wiggins way later & Reaves undrafted) & all had better rookie years.

Don't get me wrong: Bones Hyland had a good rookie year & it looks like he'll turn out to have been quite a good pick @#25, but I don't see why he gets the amount of attention he does, when for example Aaron Wiggins mostly goes unmentioned.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,057

Post#23 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#24 » by closg00 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:49 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,495

Post#25 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jun 6, 2022 1:16 am

If someone bold like Cuban owned the team, would he fire WUJ and go all in on Quinn Snyder?

Snyder’s really good. And he’s available.
In Rizzo we trust
9 and 20
Bench Warmer
And1: 946

Post#26 » by 9 and 20 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 9:32 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:If someone bold like Cuban owned the team, would he fire WUJ and go all in on Quinn Snyder?

Snyder’s really good. And he’s available.

Bring in Snyder. Swap Beal and Kispert (most Utah player on the team) for Mitchell. Throw in KCP to make it more likely that Beal goes there.

DC Cuban would probably have taken less than 15 years to fire Grunfeld. Would not have traded Webber for Richmond for smoking weed. Would not have fumbled on both the Juwan Howard rookie contract and the extension. Would not have bungled John Wall's departure. Would not have messed up the Arenas gun-gate thing so badly. Probably too smart to drop so much cash on Mahinmi.

DC Cuban would have been a dream.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#27 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:20 am

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#28 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Which free agents will the Warriors sign?
Of the nine Golden State players who will become free agents this summer, Myers is expected to do all he can to bring back at least three: center Kevon Looney, guard Gary Payton II and forward Otto Porter Jr. That trio’s contributions this season far outpaced their modest salaries.

Though Looney is poised for a pay raise, the Warriors should be able to re-sign him. He is expected to command offers between $6 million and $7 million — a price range that’s quite palatable for Golden State considering how instrumental Looney was during this recent title run.

Salary-cap expert Keith Smith went so far as to tell The Chronicle last month that “there is no chance” Looney leaves the Warriors in free agency. Looney and Golden State understand that they’re an ideal marriage, and other teams likely aren’t willing to extend the type of offer that would entice him.

Bringing back Payton might be a bit trickier. Given that the Warriors hold his early Bird rights and not his full Bird rights, they cannot offer him more than about $10.9 million next season. It’s possible that, after watching Payton play big minutes in the Finals, teams with salary-cap space are willing to give him a bigger contract than Golden State can extend.

But even if that’s the case, it’s hard to envision any franchise offering Payton well more than $11 million. It helps the Warriors that Payton wants to return. After finding his niche in Golden State as a do-everything role player, he might be willing to take less money so he can stay with the team that took a chance on him.

Then there is Porter, who is probably the least likely of the three to re-sign. Teams throughout the league noticed that he led the Warriors with a net rating of 12.4 during the playoffs. And now that Porter has eased front offices’ concerns about his health, he could warrant offers between $5 million and $7 million.

The Warriors could conceivably re-sign him with their $6.4 million taxpayer mid-level exception, but they might prefer to use that on Payton, Looney or someone who fills a more glaring need. Given that Golden State only has Porter’s non-Bird rights, it can’t offer him more than $3.1 million if it doesn’t give him the mid-level.

This all could lead him to sign with a team that can give him more money and a bigger role. Of the other six Warriors players about to become free agents, the Warriors would like to bring back Nemanja Bjelica, Damion Lee and Juan Toscano-Anderson on minimum deals.

It will just depend on whether those bench pieces can get better offers elsewhere. Should the Warriors have room to add free agents not currently on their roster, they might use the mid-level or minimums on a backup big man or a backup point guard.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,120

Post#29 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Which free agents will the Warriors sign?
Of the nine Golden State players who will become free agents this summer, Myers is expected to do all he can to bring back at least three: center Kevon Looney, guard Gary Payton II and forward Otto Porter Jr. That trio’s contributions this season far outpaced their modest salaries.

Though Looney is poised for a pay raise, the Warriors should be able to re-sign him. He is expected to command offers between $6 million and $7 million — a price range that’s quite palatable for Golden State considering how instrumental Looney was during this recent title run.

Salary-cap expert Keith Smith went so far as to tell The Chronicle last month that “there is no chance” Looney leaves the Warriors in free agency. Looney and Golden State understand that they’re an ideal marriage, and other teams likely aren’t willing to extend the type of offer that would entice him.

Bringing back Payton might be a bit trickier. Given that the Warriors hold his early Bird rights and not his full Bird rights, they cannot offer him more than about $10.9 million next season. It’s possible that, after watching Payton play big minutes in the Finals, teams with salary-cap space are willing to give him a bigger contract than Golden State can extend.

But even if that’s the case, it’s hard to envision any franchise offering Payton well more than $11 million. It helps the Warriors that Payton wants to return. After finding his niche in Golden State as a do-everything role player, he might be willing to take less money so he can stay with the team that took a chance on him.

Then there is Porter, who is probably the least likely of the three to re-sign. Teams throughout the league noticed that he led the Warriors with a net rating of 12.4 during the playoffs. And now that Porter has eased front offices’ concerns about his health, he could warrant offers between $5 million and $7 million.

The Warriors could conceivably re-sign him with their $6.4 million taxpayer mid-level exception, but they might prefer to use that on Payton, Looney or someone who fills a more glaring need. Given that Golden State only has Porter’s non-Bird rights, it can’t offer him more than $3.1 million if it doesn’t give him the mid-level.

This all could lead him to sign with a team that can give him more money and a bigger role. Of the other six Warriors players about to become free agents, the Warriors would like to bring back Nemanja Bjelica, Damion Lee and Juan Toscano-Anderson on minimum deals.

It will just depend on whether those bench pieces can get better offers elsewhere. Should the Warriors have room to add free agents not currently on their roster, they might use the mid-level or minimums on a backup big man or a backup point guard.

I mean, I am sure a few teams would consider paying Otto the full non tax MLE...including ourselves as a replacement, under the assumption that we traded some of our forwards for a guard.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#30 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:20 am

With Detroit trading away Jerami Grant for a future pick, they now have an absurd amount of cap room - about $48M or so. What will they do with it?

They could make a play for Beal, but he doesn't seem right age-wise. Lavine might be a better fit as an off-ball shooter to complement Cunningham. But another thought that intrigues me is Detroit making a play for Ayton. Phoenix is cheap and may not match an max offer. Aayton, Cunningham and the #5 pick in this draft would be a real impressive foundation. They might still have enough leftover to go after a second-tier free agent like Brunson.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,425

Post#31 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:36 am

nate33 wrote:With Detroit trading away Jerami Grant for a future pick, they now have an absurd amount of cap room - about $48M or so. What will they do with it?

They could make a play for Beal, but he doesn't seem right age-wise. Lavine might be a better fit as an off-ball shooter to complement Cunningham. But another thought that intrigues me is Detroit making a play for Ayton. Phoenix is cheap and may not match an max offer. Aayton, Cunningham and the #5 pick in this draft would be a real impressive foundation. They might still have enough leftover to go after a second-tier free agent like Brunson.

Bulls indicating that Lavine will sign a 5 year max according to Marc Stein
https://marcstein.substack.com/p/the-latest-nba-intel
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,810

Post#32 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:44 pm

nate33 wrote:With Detroit trading away Jerami Grant for a future pick, they now have an absurd amount of cap room - about $48M or so. What will they do with it?

They might still yet get rid of Kelly O so there is a chance they are about to get that done with more cap room. I mean maxing out ayton and out spending Dallas for JB man that be one hell of a swing.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,812

Post#33 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:54 pm

gambitx777 wrote:

They might still yet get rid of Kelly O so there is a chance they are about to get that done with more cap room. I mean maxing out ayton and out spending Dallas for JB man that be one hell of a swing.

Thinking they will get Ivey.

Ivey
Cunningham
Bey, Edwards
Diallo
Stewart, Olynyk

And a ton of guards, Joseph, Jackson, Lee, and Hayes. I am guessing that two of those are expendable.

Not a horrible foundation... and yes, a tremendous amount of flexibility.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#34 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

Ivey
Cunningham
Bey, Edwards
Diallo
Stewart, Olynyk

And a ton of guards, Joseph, Jackson, Lee, and Hayes. I am guessing that two of those are expendable.

I doubt they take Ivey but can you I'm agine if they get ayton and brunson plus who ever they take with the 5. That teams looking up.

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,812

Post#35 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:59 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:They might still yet get rid of Kelly O so there is a chance they are about to get that done with more cap room. I mean maxing out ayton and out spending Dallas for JB man that be one hell of a swing.

Ivey
Cunningham
Bey, Edwards
Diallo
Stewart, Olynyk

I doubt they take Ivey but can you I'm agine if they get ayton and brunson plus who ever they take with the 5. That teams looking up.

My prediction is that Sac doesn't get what they want and they take Murray. And then Detroit takes Ivey. But this is going to be one weird draft so I could be way off.

Now, would they offer Brunson and Ayton deals to lure them away from Dallas and Phoenix respectively. Sure, why not.

G: Brunson, Ivey, Cunningham
F: Bey, Diallo, Edwards
C: Ayton, Stewart

And then move Olynyk and two or three of Joseph, Jackson, Lee, and Hayes. Or keep Olynyk as insurance.

Either way - that would be a top 6 team in the east - I would think.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#36 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:08 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Thinking they will get Ivey.

Ivey
Cunningham
Bey, Edwards
Diallo
Stewart, Olynyk

My prediction is that Sac doesn't get what they want and they take Murray. And then Detroit takes Ivey. But this is going to be one weird draft so I could be way off.

Now, would they offer Brunson and Ayton deals to lure them away from Dallas and Phoenix respectively. Sure, why not.

G: Brunson, Ivey, Cunningham
F: Bey, Diallo, Edwards
C: Ayton, Stewart

And then move Olynyk and two or three of Joseph, Jackson, Lee, and Hayes. Or keep Olynyk as insurance.

Either way - that would be a top 6 team in the east - I would think.
Let's say they dona S &T for ayton? They send Kelly O and Joseph back they still have a boat load of cap space to max offer a guy like brunson would the Mavs match.... I doubt it.

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#37 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:45 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#38 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:45 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Will the nets be held hostage ? Or blow it up and say F U.

9 and 20
Bench Warmer
And1: 946

Post#39 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:10 am

1. Magic draft Paolo Banchero (Duke)
2. Thunder draft Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga)
3. Rockets draft Jabari Smith (Auburn)
4. Kings draft Keegan Murray (Iowa)
5. Pistons draft Jaden Ivey (Purdue)
6. Pacers draft Bennedict Mathurin (Arizona)
7. Blazers draft Shaedon Sharpe (Kentucky)
8. Pelicans draft Dyson Daniels (G League Ignite)
9. Spurs draft Jeremy Sochan (Baylor)

These were the picks above us. Beal or no Beal, I'd trade rosters with any of them except the Blazers. Behind us, the Knicks are pretty garbage, but that's about it.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#40 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:02 pm

Helluva a night for Detroit, wow

Return to Washington Wizards