ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread Part XLVI

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#321 » by trast66 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:20 am

I realize Winger was handed a bag of $);/, but not impressed so far. We somehow got older at the trade deadline. Flabbergasted Delon, Landry, and Tyus not moved for anything, even distant 2nd rounders. I can’t stand watching Poole and Kuz. Maybe the talk of 2 firsts for kuz made other GMs think we are not a serious franchise.
AFM
RealGM
And1: 6,309

Post#322 » by AFM » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:48 am

I mean, we are not a serious franchise. Haven't been for 45 years.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,878

Post#323 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:23 am

trast66 wrote:I realize Winger was handed a bag of $);/, but not impressed so far. We somehow got older at the trade deadline. Flabbergasted Delon, Landry, and Tyus not moved for anything, even distant 2nd rounders. I can’t stand watching Poole and Kuz. Maybe the talk of 2 firsts for kuz made other GMs think we are not a serious franchise.

There is simply no reason whatsoever not to trade Wright for anything we could get. The only conclusion I can draw is that there simply wasn't a market for him. There were no teams left willing to trade a SRP (and who had an expiring contract as filler). You can't get mad about them failing to make a trade that was never on the table.

I suspect the same applied for Landry, though it's possible that they value Landry as a vet leader and a useful contract to make sure we stay above the salary minimum.

To me, the only real debate is over Tyus. Reportedly, there were offers for two 2RP's. I could understand us waiting to try and squeeze a FRP, but when that failed, I'm not sure it was wise to just drop the trade talks. Yeah, we could decide to resign him to a new contract, but I think this Trade Deadline has demonstrated that there really isn't much of a market for undersized PGs. They're useful on bad teams, but good teams preparing for a playoff run don't really value them.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 944

Post#324 » by jangles86 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:25 am

nate33 wrote:
To me, the only real debate is over Tyus. Reportedly, there were offers for two 2RP's. I could understand us waiting to try and squeeze a FRP, but when that failed, I'm not sure it was wise to just drop the trade talks. Yeah, we could decide to resign him to a new contract, but I think this Trade Deadline has demonstrated that there really isn't much of a market for undersized PGs. They're useful on bad teams, but good teams preparing for a playoff run don't really value them.
[/quote]
The rumour is the offer was 4 second round picks not 2.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 529

Post#325 » by smoothSeph » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:43 am

nate33 wrote:
trast66 wrote:I realize Winger was handed a bag of $);/, but not impressed so far. We somehow got older at the trade deadline. Flabbergasted Delon, Landry, and Tyus not moved for anything, even distant 2nd rounders. I can’t stand watching Poole and Kuz. Maybe the talk of 2 firsts for kuz made other GMs think we are not a serious franchise.

There is simply no reason whatsoever not to trade Wright for anything we could get. The only conclusion I can draw is that there simply wasn't a market for him. There were no teams left willing to trade a SRP (and who had an expiring contract as filler). You can't get mad about them failing to make a trade that was never on the table.

I suspect the same applied for Landry, though it's possible that they value Landry as a vet leader and a useful contract to make sure we stay above the salary minimum.

Cory Joseph got traded for a 2nd today. If I never saw that this deadline might be easier to stomach.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,011

Post#326 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:51 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46

The Washington Wizards defied external expectations at the 2023-24 NBA trade deadline.

Many executives from rival teams expected the rebuilding Wizards, in search of draft picks and young players, to jettison point guard Tyus Jones, combo guard Delon Wright and perhaps forward Kyle Kuzma.

Instead, Washington remained relatively silent. Thursday yielded just one trade for the Wizards, who sent 25-year-old starting center Daniel Gafford to the Dallas Mavericks for a 2024 late first-round pick and 30-year-old backup center Richaun Holmes.

Jones and Wright remain on the Wizards’ roster and will become unrestricted free agents this summer, leaving open the possibility they will sign elsewhere without the Wizards receiving any picks or any players in return.

What happened?

Washington was unable to coax a first-round pick for Jones from potential suitors, a team source said, which is not a surprise. If you run through the rosters of the league’s other 29 teams, only a small handful would slot Jones into their starting lineup. The contenders who might have coveted Jones wanted him in backup roles and were willing only to give up second-round picks.

The Wizards, on the other hand, are one of the few teams that can envision Jones, who will turn 28 in May, starting for them next season. Team executives value Jones’ professionalism, leadership and offensive skill enough that, as The Athletic reported last week, they will strongly consider re-signing him this summer in free agency. By not trading Jones, the Wizards will retain Jones’ Bird rights this offseason and would allow the Wizards to re-sign him even though they would be over the salary cap. Wizards executives regarded keeping Jones’ Bird rights and re-signing Jones as more useful than adding second-round picks. In free agency, Washington can offer Jones something that few other teams will be able to offer: a starting job.

At first glance, keeping Wright, 31, seems more difficult to fathom given how he’s likely to leave in unrestricted free agency this summer.

But a team source said the potential trade packages offered for Wright were underwhelming — a late second-round pick, perhaps — and would have required the Wizards to take on salary for the 2024-25 season. Adding salary for next season would have limited Washington’s flexibility relative to the league’s tax threshold.

Wizards executives chose to keep their options open for the upcoming offseason. Washington holds a traded-player exception worth $12.4 million from last June’s Kristaps Porziņģis trade and a $9.8 million traded-player exception from last July’s Monté Morris trade. It’s conceivable that another team will be willing to give up a valuable draft pick by trading a contract into one of those exceptions. Not adding a 2024-25 salary Thursday in exchange for Wright makes it more likely that Washington will be able to use one of those exceptions without approaching the tax.

The Wizards came “close” to accepting one offer for Kuzma, team sources said, but although the Wizards sources would not reveal the identity of the potential trade partner, additional reporting by The Athletic revealed that the suitor almost certainly was the Mavericks and not the Sacramento Kings. The offer for Kuzma from the Mavericks was not compelling enough to the Wizards, who sought a home-run offer and not just a fair offer. Washington’s asking price was said to be at least two first-round picks.

Wizards officials value Kuzma’s play and off-court intangibles — seemingly far more than most other teams, according to The Athletic’s reporting heading into the trade deadline. By keeping Kuzma now, the Wizards can, of course, entertain offers for him again this offseason, when the return might be higher. It helps that the guaranteed salaries for the final three seasons of Kuzma’s contract will descend each year, dropping from $23.5 million for 2024-25 to $21.5 million in 2025-26 to $19.4 million in 2026-27.

Washington did receive the unencumbered first-round pick it coveted in the trade with Dallas for Gafford, who has made strides on both ends this season. In that deal, the Wizards obtained Holmes and, more importantly, also will receive the more favorable of the LA Clippers’ 2024 first-round pick and the Oklahoma City Thunder’s 2024 first-round pick. If the league’s current standings hold, that first-round pick will be the Clippers’ pick at No. 26 overall.

Why would the Wizards part with a starting center on a relatively team-friendly contract in exchange for a late first-round pick in a draft considered to be relatively weak?

While team officials would agree that the upcoming draft likely will not include anyone as talented as the 2023 NBA Draft’s top-three picks — Victor Wembanyama, Brandon Miller and Scoot Henderson — they also think the talent levels of players who will be available late in 2024’s first round will be relatively close to the talent levels of players available at, say, 10th overall.

In essence, the Wizards are betting on general manager Will Dawkins, senior vice president of player personnel Travis Schlenk and their evaluators to find a diamond in the rough late in the first round.

And having a total of two first-round picks would give Washington the option of attempting to package those picks together to move up in the draft if there’s someone whom Dawkins and Schlenk feel is worthy.

Gafford had improved this season as a defensive rebounder and interior scorer, prompting interim coach Brian Keefe on Wednesday to refer to Gafford as “an anchor” for the Wizards all season. But even though Gafford is averaging career highs in points (10.9 per game), rebounds (8.0 per game) and blocks (2.0 per game), most rival scouts and talent evaluators have regarded his ceiling as that of a backup center on a contending team. While Gafford is a good shot-blocker, he’s not an elite shot-blocker who deters opposing drivers in the way that Rudy Gobert, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Anthony Davis do.

Washington’s only other trade of this deadline cycle occurred in January, when the team sent veteran bigs Danilo Gallinari and Mike Muscula to Detroit for center Marvin Bagley III, forward Isaiah Livers, a 2025 second-round pick and a 2026 second-round pick.

Bagley now will slot into the Wizards’ starting lineup in Gafford’s place.

Gafford’s contract, which the Wizards extended during Tommy Sheppard’s tenure as team president and general manager, runs through the 2025-26 season. Holmes’ contract ends with a player option for 2024-25 worth $12.9 million.

By removing Gafford’s 2025-26 salary of $14.4 million from their books, the Wizards will create more room relative to the tax for a likely contract extension for Corey Kispert. That contract extension would go into effect for the 2025-26 season.

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#327 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:12 am

Good article from The Athletic. Provides likely accurate insight into why Jones wasn’t traded (offers weren’t good enough and the Zards may prefer to resign him) and why what seemed like a no-brainer—trading Wright—didn’t happen. It makes sense that the Zards didn’t want to take on salary for the 2024-25 season just to move Wright.

I’m hoping Delon gets bought out so he could possibly catch on with a contender in need of a defensive guard…and the Zards can prioritize giving PT to Butler and Davis.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,506

Post#328 » by NatP4 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:47 am

So we definitely had offers of multiple 2nds for Jones and atleast one 1st for Kuzma and elected to keep both of them instead. Not a fan but whatever.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 559

Post#329 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:50 am

DCZards wrote:Good article from The Athletic. Provides likely accurate insight into why Jones wasn’t traded (offers weren’t good enough and the Zards may prefer to resign him) and why what seemed like a no-brainer—trading Wright—didn’t happen. It makes sense that the Zards didn’t want to take on salary for the 2024-25 season just to move Wright.

I’m hoping Delon gets bought out so he could possibly catch on with a contender in need of a defensive guard…and the Zards can prioritize giving PT to Butler and Davis.

Agreed, I wouldn't trade Wright for that offer either. I would have traded Tyus for the pile of 2nds though. I don't see that much value in him being around next season or not, certainly it doesn't strike me as potentially being as valuable as 4 2nd rounders.

So, basically, sounds like I agree with not trading Kuzma or Wright, if that's all that was offered, disagree with keeping Tyus, and I'm not super sold on the return for Gafford. Overall, not horrible though, basically we got two future 2nds and a late first for Gafford and bodies. It's not horrible, it's also unlikely to matter, but it is flexibility and some lottery tickets.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#330 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:04 am

It apparently wasn’t true that the Zards were offered four second rounders for Jones. Sounds like it was more like two second rounders.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,878

Post#331 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:25 am

smoothSeph wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Cory Joseph got traded for a 2nd today. If I never saw that this deadline might be easier to stomach.

That pick was almost surely a fake pick (top 55 protected). The deal was a salary dump. Golden State traded Joseph and cash into Indy’s cap room. Basically, Indiana acquired a little depth at no cost, while GSW saved luxtax money.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,748

Post#332 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:40 am

So like wright wasn't wanted and will more than likely be gone by the all star game. Same with gill I imagine. Also maybe buy outs for guys like Holmes and shamet ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,073

Post#333 » by tleikheen » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:50 am

I finally got to hear the Real Ed Oliver and Brandon Scott tonight. It was sad in trying to make it sound like Richaun Holmes was on the same tier as Gafford. Wiz fans will find out quick Holmes isnt close to comparable to Gaff. Gaff will be a fan fave in Dallas after a few lobs from Luka Kyrie, and Dante and shows his athletic hops.

But I love when Brandon Scott tells what he really feels. The Wiz wasted a draft season. Big mistake today.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 881

Post#334 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:17 am

$20 mil a year for Tyus Jones is not going to do much for this team. Especially with the turd in the Poole. I hope/expect Kuz gets traded in the offseason. Might as well let Jones walk too. Otherwise what the grundle are we doing here.

Winger and Dawkins had their bluff called on demanding a first. Probably should have taken whatever seconds were available.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#335 » by pcbothwel » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:42 am

9 and 20 wrote:$20 mil a year for Tyus Jones is not going to do much for this team. Especially with the turd in the Poole. I hope/expect Kuz gets traded in the offseason. Might as well let Jones walk too. Otherwise what the grundle are we doing here.

Winger and Dawkins had their bluff called on demanding a first. Probably should have taken whatever seconds were available.

I think you are thoroughly underrating our bargaining position with Jones. No team can give him more than the mid-level, exception, starting position, and come even close to contention.
Like Kuz, we will give him a fair deal in the 15 to 20 mil per year range… Probably a declining contract.
We’ll tell him that he can be the starting point guard, make great money, and when the time is right, move him to contender so that he can compete for a ring. No other team can offer him the certainty of those positions, but us.

Kuz and Tyus will be traded for 3 1st/equivalents. Watch
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Post#336 » by WallToWall » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:57 pm

I can't see the benefit in trading Gafford. We had one of the better center rotations (Gaff and Bags) in the league, and we gave that up for a low first round pick in a weak draft. I would have rather we kept the tandem till we got a better center to replace one of them. I'll wait to see what value Winger can generate with the draft pick before completing the judging…but right now, it's a hard sell.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 904

Post#337 » by badinage » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:35 pm

The worst thing you can say about the trade is:

Winger is so focused on the future that he doesn’t care about the present. The present is about the future. Only the future. It’s about — I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna say it, I’m gonna swallow that goddxmn pill — “asset acquisition.” (Whoo. Bitter.) We’re not a team right now. We’re a box of toys, old toys, and from different kids. And Winger and maybe Dawkins are rotating toys in and shipping toys out.

There’s no identity. No culture. No nothing.

They’re not trying to put together a team right now. They *have* a team, but that’s only because they’re obliged to. They’re not thinking about the fact that they had a pretty good center tandem. At the moment, and for the next several years, all they care about is making moves *now* to be able to make moves *later*. All they care about is later.

And the risk is great: what’s going to keep Bilal and Deni (and whoever else comes along that’s good and youth) engaged, game after game? How do they not accept losing as okay?

Winger has defenders, lots of them, because he’s got a plan and it’s ambitious. And because others have done it, and hit. (Of course, many more have done it, and not hit. And not hit badly.)

But it makes following the team moot. There’s nothing to see — only the draft and free agency and the trade deadline. And then, also, checking in to see the new picks and realizing that it’s gonna be years, and patience is imperative, blah blah blah. This is your fandom for at least the next two years. The year after that maybe there is the semblance of a team. Maybe. But not a good team, unless we get stupendously lucky.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#338 » by Frichuela » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:39 pm

badinage wrote:The worst thing you can say about the trade is:

Winger is so focused on the future that he doesn’t care about the present. The present is about the future. Only the future. It’s about — I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna say it, I’m gonna swallow that goddxmn pill — “asset acquisition.” (Whoo. Bitter.) We’re not a team right now. We’re a box of toys, old toys, and from different kids. And Winger and maybe Dawkins are rotating toys in and shipping toys out.

And the risk is great: what’s going to keep Bilal and Deni (and whoever else comes along that’s good and youth) engaged, game after game? How do they not accept losing as okay?

Winger has defenders, lots of them, because he’s got a plan and it’s ambitious. And because others have done it, and hit. (Of course, many more have done it, and not hit. And not hit badly.)

But it makes following the team moot. There’s nothing to see — only the draft and free agency and the trade deadline. And then, also, checking in to see the new picks and realizing that it’s gonna be years, and patience is imperative, blah blah blah. This is your fandom for at least the next two years. The year after that maybe there is the semblance of a team. Maybe. But not a good team, unless we get stupendously lucky.

Agreed. Great post.

A major risk is botching the development of Bilal…due to the absence of any positive culture, good habits and zero accountability.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,011

Post#339 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:30 pm

Frichuela wrote:

Agreed. Great post.

A major risk is botching the development of Bilal…due to the absence of any positive culture, good habits and zero accountability.

This is what we wanted though!

A direction!

It's just a shame it started in 2023-24 rather than 2019-20.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#340 » by Frichuela » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:51 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:

Agreed. Great post.

This is what we wanted though!

A direction!

It's just a shame it started in 2023-24 rather than 2019-20.

Don't disagree but I'd rather not have all of Poole, Jones and Kuzma on the roster, taking away shots and usage from Bilal and Deni.

Let see what the FO can do in the offseason. Perhaps, Kuz is dealt draft night for a young prospect and something like a late lottery pick. But I'm probably dreaming and they'll keep him until at least the 2025 trade deadline...

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Turd wants the "marketability" of Kuzma on the team..

Return to Washington Wizards