Lead Assistant
And1: 3,286

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#341 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:45 pm

Frichuela wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
Agreed. Great post.

A major risk is botching the development of Bilal…due to the absence of any positive culture, good habits and zero accountability.

This is what we wanted though!

A direction!

It's just a shame it started in 2023-24 rather than 2019-20.

Don't disagree but I'd rather not have all of Poole, Jones and Kuzma on the roster, taking away shots and usage from Bilal and Deni.

Let see what the FO can do in the offseason. Perhaps, Kuz is dealt draft night for a young prospect and something like a late lottery pick. But I'm probably dreaming and they'll keep him until at least the 2025 trade deadline...

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Turd wants the "marketability" of Kuzma on the team..

I think this is my biggest gripe with the deadline is we have three guys that are stilling going to want the ball in their hands a lot. It's my hope that Kuz is moved sometime between the draft and next year's deadline. Jones I think I could stomach resigning for the right deal if either Kuz or Poole was moved.

Poole is essentially dead money right now with the guys attitude and game are just a total disaster. There's no way the front office could have imagined Poole was going to be this bad.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 579

Post#342 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:10 pm

badinage wrote:The worst thing you can say about the trade is:

Winger is so focused on the future that he doesn’t care about the present. The present is about the future. Only the future. It’s about — I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna say it, I’m gonna swallow that goddxmn pill — “asset acquisition.” (Whoo. Bitter.) We’re not a team right now. We’re a box of toys, old toys, and from different kids. And Winger and maybe Dawkins are rotating toys in and shipping toys out.

There’s no identity. No culture. No nothing.

They’re not trying to put together a team right now. They *have* a team, but that’s only because they’re obliged to. They’re not thinking about the fact that they had a pretty good center tandem. At the moment, and for the next several years, all they care about is making moves *now* to be able to make moves *later*. All they care about is later.

And the risk is great: what’s going to keep Bilal and Deni (and whoever else comes along that’s good and youth) engaged, game after game? How do they not accept losing as okay?

Winger has defenders, lots of them, because he’s got a plan and it’s ambitious. And because others have done it, and hit. (Of course, many more have done it, and not hit. And not hit badly.)

But it makes following the team moot. There’s nothing to see — only the draft and free agency and the trade deadline. And then, also, checking in to see the new picks and realizing that it’s gonna be years, and patience is imperative, blah blah blah. This is your fandom for at least the next two years. The year after that maybe there is the semblance of a team. Maybe. But not a good team, unless we get stupendously lucky.

I agree 1000% with this. This is what I think is happening. I was listening to the Bleave the Wizards podcast or whatever its called last night and you can hear this in prior episodes too and it does make me wonder what they're thinking. Jahidi is talking about what Gafford brings in rim protection, what he offers and this and that, and they're discussing the efficacy of the carcas they brought in and whether they made the Center position worse from the trade and all I can think is:

You guys do get that they don't care about ANY OF THAT right now, right? Not a whit. That's the coaches problem to turn whatever detritus they've acquired into workable semi-solutions that will fail in as many games as possible. That's the reality.

They aren't trying to win, at all, they are trying to maximize the paltry assets we actually have so we're potentially good 3-4 years from now or could be good anyway.

You are right, will they lose Deni or Bilal to trade demands etc after playing for a dumpster fire their entire careers through the '25-'26 season? Maybe. But there is no choice here. The roster itself is bottom 2 in the league and maybe the worst. There is literally nothing they can do in the short term to make it top 15 in the league in the next 2.5 seasons, period. So really should you pour assets in to raise the ceiling from a 10-15 win team in this year to a 25-35 win team next year? Why? The ceiling then in four years is 40-42 wins. It's utterly pointless.

You're right there's a risk that this doesn't work, but is the other method working? I don't view 1980-2022 to be an era where things periodically worked. It was the ultimate disaster in basketball. Never good enough to matter, rarely bad enough to move the needle. We were perpetually 16th-23rd best in the league, so we were perpetually stuck between a 25-40 win team for Forty freaking years. Why is it a risk to potentially instead try to tank?

I can't see why its a problem. If we lose Deni, well, he's a complimentary player, he isn't a catalyst, if we have to lose him, oh well, if we lose Bilal it will be worse, but it's still survivable. Bilal is a 2nd or 3rd piece on a playoff team, he isn't a guy who can do it alone. He needs a lot of help, so even losing him is survivable. What we can't do is try to push the ceiling up for any reason other than acquiring trade assets to flip into bullets for the draft or trades for prospects.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes, I expect us to bottom out this year and into next, and then if we can get usable assets from the '24 draft (I'm skeptical at anymore than complimentary 4th or 5th pieces), and trading Kuz, we should be able to potentially do damage with the '25 and '26 classes. My only fear is that we actually build a 30 game winner by '25-'26, which would suck, we still need to be 15-25 bad in '25-'26 unless we jump up to the top of the lottery by some miracle.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 163

Post#343 » by willbcocks » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:58 pm

His value was never going to go up. But injury is a possibility, in which case he's not worth anything. So my feeling is cash out at approximate value when you have the chance rather than play it cute at this stage in the rebuild. I had same feeling with kuzma, I would have traded him too.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,259

Post#344 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:07 pm

As I read down the last two pages of this thread, it's hard to argue with the points anybody is making -- even when their posts are in conflict with one another.

I guess what that means, essentially, is... who know?
Who knows how any action we take, or don't take, will work out?

For example, even if we kept Kuzma largely b/c he is marketable to fans, how hard to understand is that decision?
Especially given that we didn't exactly waste an opportunity to trade him: he's on a declining contract, after all: his value seems unlikely to go down much or soon.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#345 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:25 pm

badinage wrote:...Winger is so focused on the future that ...it makes following the team moot. There’s nothing to see....

This is certainly an understandable POV, but I don't share it all the same.

IMO, if we can see a lot of minutes from Omoruyi & Bilal, if Butler gets 15-20 minutes per game, if PBJ gets something close to that, if Johnny Davis gets regular minutes, & if Isaiah Livers sees the floor once he's healthy... if all or most of that transpires, & if Bagley gets the major opportunity he seems almost certain to get, then I'll be interested to watch the team no matter how lousy we are certain to be in the present tense sense of wins this season.

Right now, btw, we are at 14 players, meaning that we are going to be adding someone soon. Will we promote Butler to a regular contract (& then, obviously, add another 2-way player)? Will there be an interesting young guy who pops loose post-deadline? Or...?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,775

Post#346 » by dckingsfan » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:00 pm

payitforward wrote:
badinage wrote:...Winger is so focused on the future that ...it makes following the team moot. There’s nothing to see....

IMO, if we can see a lot of minutes from Omoruyi & Bilal, if Butler gets 15-20 minutes per game, if PBJ gets something close to that, if Johnny Davis gets regular minutes, & if Isaiah Livers sees the floor once he's healthy... if all or most of that transpires, & if Bagley gets the major opportunity he seems almost certain to get, then I'll be interested to watch the team no matter how lousy we are certain to be in the present tense sense of wins this season.

Right now, btw, we are at 14 players, meaning that we are going to be adding someone soon. Will we promote Butler to a regular contract (& then, obviously, add another 2-way player)? Will there be an interesting young guy who pops loose post-deadline? Or...?

Code: Select all

Jordan Poole      SG   $29,651,786
Kyle Kuzma        PF   $23,522,727
Deni Avdija       SF   $15,625,000
Richaun Holmes    C    $12,876,780
Marvin Bagley     PF   $12,500,000
Landry Shamet     SG   $11,000,000
Bilal Coulibaly   SF   $6,945,240
Corey Kispert     SF   $5,705,888
Johnny Davis      SG   $5,291,160
Patrick Baldwin   SF   $2,448,840
Total                $125,567,421

Butler as you point out. Next year, I think Eugene Omoruyi would be picked up as well? Davis gets dropped? Then we get our first round picks. Comes to about 14ish players.

Poole is the big set of poopoo on the platter. Without him, this looks interesting. Funny how just one mistake can doom the "perspective" of the rebuild. Not sure it should.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 618

Post#347 » by trast66 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:05 pm

Ted not interested in 2nd round picks at expense of winning a few more games this year. Fairly certain he mandated 2 firsts for Kuz as well. Doubtful minutes and rotations change much for rest of year.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#348 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:01 pm

trast66 wrote:Ted not interested in 2nd round picks at expense of winning a few more games this year. Fairly certain he mandated 2 firsts for Kuz as well. Doubtful minutes and rotations change much for rest of year.

I'm no fan of Ted's, as I've made clear often enough, but I don't think he mandated anything at all. I don't think Winger cares what Ted's interest in R2 picks is either.

Winger took this job on the basis of full control. 100%. & he's also, intentionally, put the goal ("contend for / win a title") way out in the future.

We are making no significant moves with short term goals. Period.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,714

Post#349 » by NatP4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:00 am

payitforward wrote:As I read down the last two pages of this thread, it's hard to argue with the points anybody is making -- even when their posts are in conflict with one another.

I guess what that means, essentially, is... who know?
Who knows how any action we take, or don't take, will work out?

For example, even if we kept Kuzma largely b/c he is marketable to fans, how hard to understand is that decision?
Especially given that we didn't exactly waste an opportunity to trade him: he's on a declining contract, after all: his value seems unlikely to go down much or soon.

Agreed. Can understand both sides of this one. Kuzma can easily be traded on draft night for multiple picks, he could also tear his ACL next week and never be worth a 1st round pick again. We don’t know.

Overall , im thrilled to add another 2024 1st round pick given the circumstances of the league.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#350 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:28 am

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Butler as you point out. Next year, I think Eugene Omoruyi would be picked up as well? Davis gets dropped? Then we get our first round picks. Comes to about 14ish players.

Poole is the big set of poopoo on the platter. Without him, this looks interesting. Funny how just one mistake can doom the "perspective" of the rebuild. Not sure it should.

Assume another $8-10M for our lotto pick and $2M for our late pick. But there's also the possibility that we go ahead and release Shamet and his non-guaranteed contract.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#351 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:19 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:This is certainly an understandable POV, but I don't share it all the same.

Assume another $8-10M for our lotto pick and $2M for our late pick. But there's also the possibility that we go ahead and release Shamet and his non-guaranteed contract.

Yep, good point. With the cap probably going to be around $141M, That gives us plenty of flexibility.

To me, the only "albatross" is Poole. But, we aren't going to be ready to compete in the next year or two. Maybe he becomes tradeable in '25 or '26. Going into the off-season, I am guessing they aren't going to worry about positions and just add the best available players through the draft. Big guess I guess :)

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more. I would release Davis and Shamet (unless you could somehow get something for them in the off-season. That would take us into the season with at $110M + our two first round picks. If Omoruyi sticks, great. If Tyus comes in with a contract like Kuzma's (declining), great. Bring Butler back too. That would give us some great cap flexibility to take on contracts and picks.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#352 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:32 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Edit: Thinking about it a bit more. I would release Davis and Shamet (unless you could somehow get something for them in the off-season. That would take us into the season with at $110M + our two first round picks. If Omoruyi sticks, great. If Tyus comes in with a contract like Kuzma's (declining), great. Bring Butler back too. That would give us some great cap flexibility to take on contracts and picks.

Davis' 2024-25 salary has already been guaranteed. We can release him to generate a roster spot, but we won't generate any cap room.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#353 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:05 pm

dckingsfan wrote:To me, the only "albatross" is Poole. But, we aren't going to be ready to compete in the next year or two. Maybe he becomes tradeable in '25 or '26. Going into the off-season, I am guessing they aren't going to worry about positions and just add the best available players through the draft. Big guess I guess :)

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more. I would release Davis and Shamet (unless you could somehow get something for them in the off-season. That would take us into the season with at $110M + our two first round picks. If Omoruyi sticks, great. If Tyus comes in with a contract like Kuzma's (declining), great. Bring Butler back too. That would give us some great cap flexibility to take on contracts and picks.

I suspect Tyus will be resigned, and I don't think it will cost too much. I think this Trade Deadline demonstrated that there isn't a huge demand out there for Tyus as a starter. People want him as a backup and aren't willing to break the bank to get him. I figure the best offer out there will be the MLE, and probably not for a full 4 years.

A 3-year MLE contract with 5% raises pays him $12.8, $13.5 and $14.1M over the next 3 years respectively for a total of $40.4M. I figure we can offer him a 3-year $42M deal and a starting role and that will beat all other offers. Also, a 3-year deal has his contract expire alongside Poole's (and Kuzma's if he lasts that long) which will likely set us up for a max free agent in 2027 to add to our developing rookie contract squad. Frontload the deal with 8% salary declines each year and it will look like this: $15.2M, $14.0M, $12.8M. In two years, that $12.8M salary will be just 80% of the MLE, which is equivalent to a $9.9M contract today. That should make him pretty tradeable.

If we release Shamet and add two draft picks, and Tyus at $15.2M, the payroll looks like this:

Tyus Jones        PG   $15,200,000
#2 Draft Pick     XX   $9,100,000
#26 Draft Pick    XX   $2,200,000
Total                $140,867,421

That's 12 guys. Round out the roster with Butler, Vukcevic and our SRP and that's 15.

I do think Shamet will be released. Prior to the Gafford trade, it might have made sense to keep him in order to have a filler contract to use at the Trade Deadline. But now, Holmes' contract can fill that role (and Davis' too).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#354 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:19 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
This is what we wanted though!

A direction!

It's just a shame it started in 2023-24 rather than 2019-20.

Don't disagree but I'd rather not have all of Poole, Jones and Kuzma on the roster, taking away shots and usage from Bilal and Deni.

Let see what the FO can do in the offseason. Perhaps, Kuz is dealt draft night for a young prospect and something like a late lottery pick. But I'm probably dreaming and they'll keep him until at least the 2025 trade deadline...

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Turd wants the "marketability" of Kuzma on the team..

I think this is my biggest gripe with the deadline is we have three guys that are stilling going to want the ball in their hands a lot. It's my hope that Kuz is moved sometime between the draft and next year's deadline. Jones I think I could stomach resigning for the right deal if either Kuz or Poole was moved.

Poole is essentially dead money right now with the guys attitude and game are just a total disaster. There's no way the front office could have imagined Poole was going to be this bad.

I'm having a hard time understanding this narrative that Tyus Jones' presence is somehow bad for the development of our young guys. Tyus doesn't take shots unless he has too. His goal is to set up others. And he also has the ability to play off ball if they want to run the offense through Deni.

The only way Tyus would be bad is if we draft a top PG prospect with our lotto pick. And in that scenario, my guess is that we don't retain Tyus. Or if we do, It would be as a mentor for just one year. The contract would probably be constructed like Bruce Brown's deal (overpay him on a 1+1 deal with the second year a Team Option.)

The guy that is really detrimental to our development is Poole. He is high usage, low efficiency, terrible on D, and can't contribute at all unless he is jacking up shots. At least Kuzma has the theoretical ability to be a high usage when needed, and scale back to a mid-usage guy who can help in other ways (rebounding, defense, passing) as our young guys take on more usage.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,286

Post#355 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Frichuela wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding this narrative that Tyus Jones' presence is somehow bad for the development of our young guys. Tyus doesn't take shots unless he has too. His goal is to set up others. And he also has the ability to play off ball if they want to run the offense through Deni.

The only way Tyus would be bad is if we draft a top PG prospect with our lotto pick. And in that scenario, my guess is that we don't retain Tyus. Or if we do, It would be as a mentor for just one year. The contract would probably be constructed like Bruce Brown's deal (overpay him on a 1+1 deal with the second year a Team Option.)

The guy that is really detrimental to our development is Poole. He is high usage, low efficiency, terrible on D, and can't contribute at all unless he is jacking up shots. At least Kuzma has the theoretical ability to be a high usage when needed, and scale back to a mid-usage guy who can help in other ways (rebounding, defense, passing) as our young guys take on more usage.

I don't think Jones is the problem per se, but that maybe Jones might be overly willing as an established vet to pass to other established vets like Poole and Kuzma. I don't disagree though with your assessment, though.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,057

Post#356 » by FAH1223 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#357 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:To me, the only "albatross" is Poole. But, we aren't going to be ready to compete in the next year or two. Maybe he becomes tradeable in '25 or '26. Going into the off-season, I am guessing they aren't going to worry about positions and just add the best available players through the draft. Big guess I guess :)

I suspect Tyus will be resigned, and I don't think it will cost too much. I think this Trade Deadline demonstrated that there isn't a huge demand out there for Tyus as a starter. People want him as a backup and aren't willing to break the bank to get him. I figure the best offer out there will be the MLE, and probably not for a full 4 years.

A 3-year MLE contract with 5% raises pays him $12.8, $13.5 and $14.1M over the next 3 years respectively for a total of $40.4M. I figure we can offer him a 3-year $42M deal and a starting role and that will beat all other offers. Also, a 3-year deal has his contract expire alongside Poole's (and Kuzma's if he lasts that long) which will likely set us up for a max free agent in 2027 to add to our developing rookie contract squad. Frontload the deal with 8% salary declines each year and it will look like this: $15.2M, $14.0M, $12.8M. In two years, that $12.8M salary will be just 80% of the MLE, which is equivalent to a $9.9M contract today. That should make him pretty tradeable.

If we release Shamet and add two draft picks, and Tyus at $15.2M, the payroll looks like this:

Tyus Jones        PG   $15,200,000
#2 Draft Pick     XX   $9,100,000
#26 Draft Pick    XX   $2,200,000
Total                $140,867,421

That's 12 guys. Round out the roster with Butler, Vukcevic and our SRP and that's 15.

I do think Shamet will be released. Prior to the Gafford trade, it might have made sense to keep him in order to have a filler contract to use at the Trade Deadline. But now, Holmes' contract can fill that role (and Davis' too).

I like it.

Nice if we could get Sarr... If that happens and we bring on Vukcevic, then one of Bagley or Holmes can be traded. I think we should release Davis (opinion that might go nowhere).

PG: Jones/Butler
SG: Kispert/Poole (hope he doesn't start but that is irrational)
F: Kuz/Avdija/Coulibaly/Baldwin
C: Sarr/Bagley/Holmes/Vukcevic

or (if we end up with a PG because we drop)

PG: Dillingham/Jones/Butler
SG: Kispert/Poole (hope he doesn't start but that is irrational)
F: Kuz/Avdija/Coulibaly/Baldwin
C: Bagley/Holmes/Vukcevic

That and the two picks gets us to 14 - that is what you are thinking?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#358 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:21 pm

nate33 wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Frichuela wrote:

This. And even if our FRP is a PG, Tyus would be fine.

Hoping (fingers/toes and everything else crossed) that Poole ends up coming off the bench. It will take a coach with a large sack to get it done though.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 9,067

Post#359 » by penbeast0 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 pm

dckingsfan wrote:This. And even if our FRP is a PG, Tyus would be fine.

Hoping (fingers/toes and everything else crossed) that Poole ends up coming off the bench. It will take a coach with a large sack to get it done though.

Or just one who has watched the team and sees that Poole has been awful this year. Unless, of course, the orders come from above to the coach and are based on the idea that Poole makes the tank work.

I'm with dckingsfan (and most everyone else) on Tyus resigning being fine given reasonable money and with the idea that if the choice is between cutting Shamet and cutting Davis, I'd cut Davis. Shamet has played like an NBA player and might have some value as filler, Davis has not.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
badinage
Sixth Man
And1: 1,070

Post#360 » by badinage » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:18 pm

payitforward wrote:

Those guys with the exception of one are all guys that they have essentially renounced. They have. They aren’t part of the future, they’re not being built around. Winger has been very clear that the future doesn’t really start now.

So, why watch? Why invest in players they aren’t investing in. I like Deni and Bilal and Kispert. That’s 1/4 of the team. That’s the only reason to watch.

They have renounced 3/4 of their team, yet they continue to sell tickets and to broadcast games and to hype product.

I wish they would say, “Look, fans. This is ugly. We made it ugly. That’s on us. We think it’ll have a happy outcome. But for now, it’s awful. And we know it is. We wouldn’t watch, either. So, go and read some great books and cook good food and take some trips and we’ll reach back out again in a couple years — when we haven’t renounced 3/4 of our time. When, although we’re not competitive, we’re at least trying to field a real team. Thanks for being there. Love ya.”

I’m not against a tear-down, btw. I’m for it.

But I can also allow that what they’re doing is a sham. It’s what’s allowed, I get it, they’re “smart“ to be doing it — but it’s so obvious and awful.

Return to Washington Wizards