ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #63: Wizards (33-29) @ HEAT (43-17) 7:30 PM CSN+

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: GT #63: Wizards (33-29) @ HEAT (43-17) 7:30 PM CSN+ 

Post#361 » by dlts20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:03 am

I do agree that Wall needs to look to score more. Its weird because he just won the POW scoring almost 26ppg and since then hasnt been looking for his shot as much. I think it was that Philly game where he was so great all around with the 17 & 16. I think he felt like he can play like that every night now. Getting a million assist while playing under control and shooting a high FG%.

With that being said, teams are trying to take him away so its not easy and again, he got us pretty much any look we wanted. We are better when he goes for plus 20 though
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#362 » by Sluggerface » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:05 am

GhostsOfGil wrote:
popper wrote:This is on Whitman

Gortat should have returned at the 6 minute mark

Beal doesn't have the handles to be a go to shot creater against a swarming Miami defense.

Ariza's head was never in the game and shouldn't have played in crunch time

When Gortat came in the team continued to struggle. You guys act like Wittman cost us this game just because Gooden had one bad play. The starters closed out the game and scored 3 points. Miami's defense was swarming while Bosh and Wade got hot from deep. I hate this kind of coach **** bashing. I dont even like Wit that much but I feel like I'm constantly defending him because some of the criticism he gets is absurd.

How is this absurd criticism? Spo sent out his A+ unit with Lebron at the 4 and Ray at the 3, a lineup that has a noticeable rebounding disadvantage.

Randy's counter lineup was Wall/Beal/Miller/Ariza/Gooden (this lineup should have never seen the court against the heat). His second counter lineup was Wall/Beal/Webster/Ariza/Gortat, at which point the heat had already pushed their lead to a comfortable level.

He tried playing small ball against the best small ball team in the league and got burned for it.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#363 » by Illmatic21 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 am

dlts20 wrote:I do agree that Wall needs to look to score more. Its weird because he just won the POW scoring almost 26ppg and since then hasnt been looking for his shot as much. I think it was that Philly game where he was so great all around with the 17 & 16. I think he felt like he can play like that every night now. Getting a million assist while playing under control and shooting a high FG%.

With that being said, teams are trying to take him away so its not easy and again, he got us pretty much any look we wanted. We are better when he goes for plus 20 though

He averaged 26ppg against teams with absolutely no interior defense. Against good defensive teams, Wall still doesn't have the skillset to consistently break down defenses and score. He really needs to work on his scoring game this summer, he simply doesn't have any go to moves.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#364 » by dlts20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 am

I wont totally rip Witt but he did make some mistakes. I wont go hard on him for the small lineup. He was bringing Wall in for Miller but Dre played so great in those previous couple of possesions that he wanted to roll the dice and go with him. I wouldve brought Gortat back in sooner but Gooden was playing well.

The one thing I wouldve done different is gave Porter more of a look. Ariza struggled all game and Webster struggled for stretches while porter looked solid and his short stretch. Other then that, I cant fault Witt much for this one.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#365 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 am

We played respectfully and didn't make it an easy win for Miami. Well, until the collapse anyway. Overall I was entertained.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#366 » by nuposse04 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 am

dlts20 wrote:I wont totally rip Witt but he did make some mistakes. I wont go hard on him for the small lineup. He was bringing Wall in for Miller but Dre played so great in those previous couple of possesions that he wanted to roll the dice and go with him. I wouldve brought Gortat back in sooner but Gooden was playing well.

The one thing I wouldve done different is gave Porter more of a look. Ariza struggled all game and Webster struggled for stretches while porter looked solid and his short stretch. Other then that, I cant fault Witt much for this one.

He was playing into MIA's hand by going small. They have THE best small ball lineup.

My only guess why he went to that was because Wall wasn't making the brightest decisions, but Wall isn't a good off ball guard yet. I can't see him and Miller being on the court at the same time ever a good thing. And bringing Gortat in so late was the backbreaker.

I would have tried Wall/Beal/Webster/Booker/Gortat down the stretch. Booker is plenty strong to hold up against LBJ. Why we stopped running p n r's with Gortat is also a mystery (well probably cause it was too late by the time he got in).
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#367 » by keynote » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:12 am

80sballboy wrote:We lost by 9 on the road to the best team in the NBA w/o Nene and Seraphin. Some classy posts by so-called Wizards fans tonight. WTF. :roll:

I won't question anyone's class, but I do agree that this would've been a major upset.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#368 » by dlts20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:13 am

Illmatic21 wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I do agree that Wall needs to look to score more. Its weird because he just won the POW scoring almost 26ppg and since then hasnt been looking for his shot as much. I think it was that Philly game where he was so great all around with the 17 & 16. I think he felt like he can play like that every night now. Getting a million assist while playing under control and shooting a high FG%.

He averaged 26ppg against teams with absolutely no interior defense. Against good defensive teams, Wall still doesn't have the skillset to consistently break down defenses and score. He really needs to work on his scoring game this summer, he simply doesn't have any go to moves.

I disagree. Ive seen him have big games against the best defenses. Its more of aggression. Just like he's had low scoring games against bad defensive teams also.

With all that being said. Ill say it over and over again. The system hurts Wall. He would be a much better scorer, attacker in a better p&r system. Also, I would still like to see either Harringto start or play more with Wall. Either change the system or get him a stretch 4.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#369 » by dlts20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:17 am

still, I cant rip a guy who shouldve had assist in the teens in a legit way. They were legit assist where he was doing a nice job of dictating to the D as much as they were dictating to him. He had 8st going into the 4th with Webster, Ariza, and Gortat going like 4-29 in the 1st half. He wouldvde had like 15ast at the end of 3 quarters and the game wouldve looked totaly different if they made shots that werent that difficult. Again, you can tell when a guy is sucking, playing bad, or hurting us. He wasnt. He was making good plays for the most part until he came back in under 6min but everyone sucked then
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#370 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:19 am

GhostsOfGil wrote:

Beal doesn't have the handles to be a go to shot creater against a swarming Miami defense.

When Gortat came in the team continued to struggle. You guys act like Wittman cost us this game just because Gooden had one bad play. The starters closed out the game and scored 3 points. Miami's defense was swarming while Bosh and Wade got hot from deep. I hate this kind of coach **** bashing. I dont even like Wit that much but I feel like I'm constantly defending him because some of the criticism he gets is absurd.

Give it up Ghost. No matter what, every loss will be accompanied by the armchair coaches blaming Wittman for the loss.

I am not upset at all on this loss. The Wizard gave the defending champs all they could handle, even with Ariza having a bad game. I was expecting a blow out loss. I was pleasantly surprised the Wizards hung tough most of the game. Now its time to take care of business with Charlotte and Brooklyn coming up.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer

Post#371 » by Sluggerface » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:21 am

ITT Wittman apologists.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#372 » by Hypnotizer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:23 am

It was a great game, a taste of play-offs. We can hurt Miami easily with Nene back.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#373 » by Illmatic21 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:24 am

dlts20 wrote:
Illmatic21 wrote:

I disagree. Ive seen him have big games against the best defenses. Its more of aggression. Just like he's had low scoring games against bad defensive teams also.

With all that being said. Ill say it over and over again. The system hurts Wall. He would be a much better scorer, attacker in a better p&r system. Also, I would still like to see either Harringto start or play more with Wall. Either change the system or get him a stretch 4.

That lack of 'aggression' comes from not having any reliable scoring moves. Early in a game Wall will check if his jumper is on that day.. if it's not, then he'll just fall back and stop trying to break down the defense.

He has no subtlety or polish to his scoring game, other than his carry/crossover he doesn't know how to set defenders up or get to where he wants on the floor.

Wall always says "I'm going to be aggressive" but half the time he says that he doesn't actually do it, because he can't. Once he sees that defenses are playing him a certain way, he loses confidence in his abilities to attack.

If Chris Paul said "I"m gonna drop 40 tonight" he would go out and do it. His game is so much more advanced than Wall's, he's constantly probing and trying to set up the defense. He has a reliable midrange game, he can post up other guards and turn over either shoulder. He can get to the lane at will, not because of pure athleticism but from his misdirection and quickness. Wall rarely ever shows that ability. And Paul takes 3 fewer FGA/g than Wall, yet still gets to the line more.

Wall's offense is a lot better than it was when he came into the league, but it's still the main weakness holding him back from being a truly great player.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#374 » by nuposse04 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:26 am

Hypnotizer wrote:It was a great game, a taste of play-offs. We can hurt Miami easily with Nene back.

problem is Nene can also hurt easily.

I think Seraphin supplanting Harrington could pay dividends.

*I also gotta eat crow on Gooden, he's been phenomenally effective these past 3 games. Defense isn't exactly stellar with him but his offense is on right now.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,905

Post#375 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 am

80sballboy wrote:We lost by 9 on the road to the best team in the NBA w/o Nene and Seraphin. Some classy posts by so-called Wizards fans tonight. WTF. :roll:

Tell me about it.

That's the one thing I don't like about this board. :nonono:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#376 » by Illmatic21 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:29 am

Wizardspride wrote:

Tell me about it.

The "best team in the NBA" had just lost 3 in a row, they were far from unbeatable. Obviously Miami is the better team. But a lot of people are annoyed by the fact that we had a chance to win the game and the way we lost exposed a lack of competence from the coach, and very poor play from some of the players.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#377 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 am

I would like to see a little of what Rice brings to the table. Webster is too one-dimensional with his creaky back.
ozthegandp
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#378 » by ozthegandp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:35 am

Sluggerface wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:

How is this absurd criticism? Spo sent out his A+ unit with Lebron at the 4 and Ray at the 3, a lineup that has a noticeable rebounding disadvantage.

Randy's counter lineup was Wall/Beal/Miller/Ariza/Gooden (this lineup should have never seen the court against the heat). His second counter lineup was Wall/Beal/Webster/Ariza/Gortat, at which point the heat had already pushed their lead to a comfortable level.

He tried playing small ball against the best small ball team in the league and got burned for it.

thats what i was thinking but i was just reading the stream on gamecast so i thought maybe there was a reason for it that i couldnt see.

if he was going to experiment he should've experimented big with gooden and gortat in together. with wall beal and Webster

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using RealGM Forums mobile app
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,905

Post#379 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:39 am

Illmatic21 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Tell me about it.

The "best team in the NBA" had just lost 3 in a row, they were far from unbeatable. Obviously Miami is the better team. But a lot of people are annoyed by the fact that we had a chance to win the game and the way we lost exposed a lack of competence from the coach, and very poor play from some of the players.

I'm not happy with the loss either but the name calling just doesn't sit well with me.

Calling people baboons etc....yeah, not cool.

I think what really irks me is the bipolar nature of some of our fans.

One moment John is the next great PG and the next moment people call him names and want him traded.

It's not easy out on the court and sometimes people screw up.

It is what it is.

But with that being said, Wittman leaves much to be desired as a coach....I'll be the first to admit that.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer

Post#380 » by Sluggerface » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:43 am

ozthegandp wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:

thats what i was thinking but i was just reading the stream on gamecast so i thought maybe there was a reason for it that i couldnt see.

if he was going to experiment he should've experimented big with gooden and gortat in together. with wall beal and Webster

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using RealGM Forums mobile app

Bingo.

You live with LBJ killing you from outside with that lineup, or you put in Booker or Harrington (as bad as he played) to match up.

Return to Washington Wizards