ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 385

Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#41 » by Benjammin » Tue Jul 4, 2017 9:09 pm

I see no reason to waste much energy on this deal I agree a team option for the second year would be nice if it works out, but hard to do with a minimum salary guy to agree to that.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#42 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 9:09 pm

payitforward wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Scott didn't have a productive season last year but I chalk that to off the court distractions and his knee injury, which one was a bigger issue, I'm not sure. If we are getting the mike scott of 2 seasons ago, then that is a solid guy to bring off the bench. Kinda wish they a team option for another season in the chance he DOES revert to form.

Scott didn't have a productive season last year -- that's true. He also didn't have a productive season the year before. Or the year before that. Or the year before that.

Ehh he had a solid TS 57.5 that season and I think 39% from 3. He was a true stretch 4. Consequently, since he was a perimeter 4 his rebounding wasn't high so knowing you... that has to be a killer in your player evaluation lmao. :lol:

Scott had a reasonably productive rookie year in Atlanta. Of course he only played @375 minutes, so it's hard to give much weight to the statistics.

It was also the year he was a non factor from the perimeter, but the rebounding numbers were cute then...so I guess it is obvious why you think that was a good season out of him.

This might be the worst signing Ernie has made in a long time.

Ehh, on the vet min? You may not like various aspects to his game but he was a rotation player in ATL when they were very good. EG has done much worse recently. Ian, overpaid and injury prone. Nicholson (who I was hopeful for but boy was I wrong!) who was essentially a human waste land.

Mike Scott is not an NBA player. & is coming off a knee injury. & legal troubles. Why would you ever sign this guy? Why would you not give one of the young kids a chance?

Well he is actually absolved of any wrong doing now so the legal trouble seems like a dubious thing to hold against him. Much like I wouldn't really use the "character problems" christian woods had/has against him. Disagree with the notion he hasn't shown to be an nba caliber player, but agree with maybe look for someone with more upside and youthful.

Assuming we pick up Sheldon's option & retain Porter, we are now at 14 players, which is the number we are required to carry this year.

I can't believe what a lazy, awful fool of a basketball executive Ernie Grunfield is. This signing makes me sick.

He sucks, but I wouldn't say THIS should be the final straw.... now when he trades Gortat and a 1st, I think we all will throw an aptly timed hissy fit.
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#43 » by papidulo » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:00 am

This wasnt an actual bad pickup; we took advantage of his criminal case, bc otherwise, he could get like 5 mill a year for his skillset.
Hes an upgrade over Jason Smith at PF, bc hes way more mobile, which is the biggest deficiency in our frontcourt.

1/3 of our cap space is tied up in 3 guys who all play center. We have to find a way to trade 1 of the 3, but we cant move Gortat yet bc we still dont know what Mahinmi is, and no one will take Mahinmi w/o another asset. If EG can find a way to fix the bigman logjam, we can at least manage the first part of the season
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#44 » by dangermouse » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:15 am

Scoring forward with a few problems (injuries and off court stuff). Good for the price, but as others have said, this had better not be an indication that Ted is being cheap.

Get Patterson Ernie.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#45 » by Benjammin » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:33 am

dangermouse wrote:Scoring forward with a few problems (injuries and off court stuff). Good for the price, but as others have said, this had better not be an indication that Ted is being cheap.

Get Patterson Ernie.

Patterson signed with OKC for 3 years 15 million with the third year a player option. Presti doing some work.

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,672

Post#46 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:53 am

nuposse04 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Scott didn't have a productive season last year but I chalk that to off the court distractions and his knee injury, which one was a bigger issue, I'm not sure. If we are getting the mike scott of 2 seasons ago, then that is a solid guy to bring off the bench. Kinda wish they a team option for another season in the chance he DOES revert to form.

Scott didn't have a productive season last year -- that's true. He also didn't have a productive season the year before. Or the year before that. Or the year before that.

Ehh he had a solid TS 57.5 that season and I think 39% from 3. He was a true stretch 4. Consequently, since he was a perimeter 4 his rebounding wasn't high so knowing you... that has to be a killer in your player evaluation lmao. :lol:

Scott had a reasonably productive rookie year in Atlanta. Of course he only played @375 minutes, so it's hard to give much weight to the statistics.

It was also the year he was a non factor from the perimeter, but the rebounding numbers were cute then...so I guess it is obvious why you think that was a good season out of him.

This might be the worst signing Ernie has made in a long time.

Ehh, on the vet min? You may not like various aspects to his game but he was a rotation player in ATL when they were very good. EG has done much worse recently. Ian, overpaid and injury prone. Nicholson (who I was hopeful for but boy was I wrong!) who was essentially a human waste land.

Mike Scott is not an NBA player. & is coming off a knee injury. & legal troubles. Why would you ever sign this guy? Why would you not give one of the young kids a chance?

Well he is actually absolved of any wrong doing now so the legal trouble seems like a dubious thing to hold against him. Much like I wouldn't really use the "character problems" christian woods had/has against him. Disagree with the notion he hasn't shown to be an nba caliber player, but agree with maybe look for someone with more upside and youthful.

Assuming we pick up Sheldon's option & retain Porter, we are now at 14 players, which is the number we are required to carry this year.

I can't believe what a lazy, awful fool of a basketball executive Ernie Grunfield is. This signing makes me sick.

He sucks, but I wouldn't say THIS should be the final straw.... now when he trades Gortat and a 1st, I think we all will throw an aptly timed hissy fit.

Why even respond? He thinks everybody sucks outside of Otto because they don't have great advanced metrics. I bet PIF rarely watches games and just relies on numbers to advance his arguments. If you watched Mike Scott against the Wiz in year's past or against other teams, he showed he was a decent backup S4 who could stroke the 3 and for a one-year deal, it's an adequate signing, if he has his shi-t together.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#47 » by dangermouse » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:56 am

Benjammin wrote:
dangermouse wrote:Scoring forward with a few problems (injuries and off court stuff). Good for the price, but as others have said, this had better not be an indication that Ted is being cheap.

Get Patterson Ernie.

Patterson signed with OKC for 3 years 15 million with the third year a player option. Presti doing some work.

Oh god damnit. Who's even left that is decent? Kelly Olynik? Ernie better be putting in hours

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Woj: Mike Scott for the minimum 

Post#48 » by Benjammin » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:59 am

dangermouse wrote:
Benjammin wrote:

Get Patterson Ernie.

Oh god damnit. Who's even left that is decent? Kelly Olynik? Ernie better be putting in hours

After matching the Porter deal the Wiz aren't spending any more serious money. They'll probably look to do a salary dump of Gortat before the trade deadline to avoid paying the luxury tax.

dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by dangermouse » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:58 am

Can we not use the full MLE to find a decent backup PF or Guard, and then trade Gortat or (less likely) Mahinmi for lux tax relief? Or is Porter going to cap us out way too hard.

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#50 » by queridiculo » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:49 am

dangermouse wrote:Can we not use the full MLE to find a decent backup PF or Guard, and then trade Gortat or (less likely) Mahinmi for lux tax relief? Or is Porter going to cap us out way too hard.

The Wizards will pretty much be over the luxury tax threshold the second they match the Nets deal.

Technically the Wizards can still use their MLE but it's a question of whether Leonsis is prepared to pay the tax for the first time ever.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#51 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 12:02 pm

They won't, then they will hold a press conference selling us on the veteran presence that Jodie Meeks brings and tim Fraziers scrappiness
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#52 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:00 pm

NatP4 wrote:They won't, then they will hold a press conference selling us on the veteran presence that Jodie Meeks brings and tim Fraziers scrappiness

Everyone needs to relax. This is a buyers market.
Kelly O, Mirotic, Gay, CJ Miles, Len, Dedmon, Muhammad, Hardaway Jr., Withey, Muscala, Alan Williams, Speights, Motiejunas, and Evans are all legit players and cap space/playing time is drying up. We are doing a good thing by letting the market settle.

There are also more "Mike Scott" type players out there that we might get for cheap:
Afflalo, Splitter, Sessions, Baynes, Jerebko, Hill, Sefolosha, Mack, Mbah a Moute, Ennis, Bass, Babbit, etc.

We are also looking into getting a TPE for Bogs... EG is playing this right.

Use part of the MLE on one of the player mentioned above, but thats it.
Go into the season with:

Wall / Sato / Frazier / Keane
Beal / Meeks / Mac
Otto / Oubre / FA
Morris / Scott / McCullough
Mahinmi / Gortat / Smith

That team is fine, but we also have two big advantages.
1) We can sign mid season buy outs for more than other contenders with our MLE.
2) We can provide instant cap relief in trade with Bogs TPE.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,716

Post#53 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:38 pm

The Hampton Roadrunner
Three Mike Scott
The Cheasapeake Performer
The Deep Creek Sneak
The Savvy Cav
The Hargrave Digger
The Chatham Phantom
The Virginia Reel
JaMS
Scooter
Threebo Bryson
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#54 » by queridiculo » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:53 pm

Three Strikes Mike Scott?
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#55 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:16 pm

Already has a nickname: the threegional manager
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,365

Post#56 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:41 pm

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,287

Post#57 » by AFM » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:52 pm

GREAT SCOTT!!!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,716

Post#58 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:57 pm

NatP4 wrote:Already has a nickname: the threegional manager

I saw that, one of the worst nicknames of all time. Threediculous!

Threepulsion? Threegressive tendancies? Threetread? The Threefried Bean? Threemake/Threemodel? The Threemidor? The Threegurgitator? The Threeproductive Organ? The Threepublican? Drug Threehab? The Threefrigerator? (In case he beefs up)

Trot Smith, Scott, Meeks, ShMac, and Frazier out and call it the House of Repthreesentatives.

Perhaps I need to threethink this whole nickname model
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,365

Post#59 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:59 pm

montestewart wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Already has a nickname: the threegional manager

I saw that, one of the worst nicknames of all time. Threediculous!

Threepulsion? Threegressive tendancies? Threetread? The Threefried Bean? Threemake/Threemodel? The Threemidor? The Threegurgitator? The Threeproductive Organ? The Threepublican? Drug Threehab? The Threefrigerator? (In case he beefs up)

Trot Smith, Scott, Meeks, ShMac, and Frazier out and call it the House of Repthreesentatives.

Perhaps I need to threethink this whole nickname model

I think I'll just call him "The Regional Manager"
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#60 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jul 6, 2017 8:07 pm

Just think about the PF depth chart we have now:

'Splief. Not My 'Splief.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards