Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,505

Re: 2021 Depth Chart 

Post#41 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 am

prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:That's true but Rui started. And so did Bonga. More so, for all intents and purposes, this guy is not a rookie. He played 59 games last year. IMO, he's too talented to keep on the bench. I look forward to seeing him on the court.

Rui started because he had no other options. Bertans can't log starter's minutes at PF.

Bonga started, but he wasn't a rookie.

I don't think Avdija will be better defensively than Bonga, and that's what the starting lineup needs more than anything else. Usually rookies are awful defensively.

We will see. It's tough to project European players. I think it's going to be tough to keep Advija on the bench. And Bonga is so limited offensively. His ceiling is a 3 and D guy. I also think he lacks basketball awareness.

Ha, then I'd say the writer of that sentence lacks basketball awareness. Awareness he has, what Bonga lacks is athleticism and offensive aggressiveness, confidence in his shot. He shoots a nice ball when he is open, but has a slow release and doesn't try when guarded despite his height advantage. I think he is still a bit tentative at NBA 3pt distance vs FIBA range. I also think some of what looks like tentative play is a difference in Euro vs NBA team play. He looks like he is deferring and making a pass instead of calling his own number, but in Euro play that ball would pop around until it found the open player. He's just being a good teammate. In the NBA sometimes the better play is to attack attack attack. That's on coaching.

Still, Nate hit it, he has defensive awareness, he was the best team defender on the team without exception. Otherwise he is a good complementary player, nice handle and passing, makes smart cuts on backdoor attacks when ignored, reads the team well, and hits a wide open three when he pulls the trigger. He was the youngest player on the team last year, but has had experience in german pro teams since he was 16. All Bonga needs is confidence in his outside shot so he's willing to fire it when it hits his hands. He may look like he is moving underwater at times, but his length and awareness make up for his lack of quick twitch speed. He is in the right place most of the time. If his catch and shoot 3 has improved then I would not doubt he will start.

Deni will play, we will see him out there, but it will take a little bit for him to adjust to the speed of the NBA, and yeah rookies are defensive liabilities. Opposing stars attack them, refs give them no benefit of the whistle. Deni was starved for minutes in Euro play. Didn't start. It's unlikely he displaces the player who had the teams 2nd best +/- last year in Bonga. With Brooks especially who likes to make rookies earn their place on the floor. Give Deni time, his game awareness will come. I personally think he will work better testing out what he can and cannot do in a 2nd line with Troy catching him on cuts and Bertans spacing the floor, and against back ups and starters who are headed to the bench.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#42 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:56 am

I love having Bonga on the team - a player who's played the point and might be best at PF. A total team player. He's been gradually adding a bit of weight on that frame, and that should help as he also gradually gains confidence. It's almost funny watching him jump - sometimes it looks like he can't jump more than a foot, but he's smart enough to work around that and still be a very effective defender. Maybe the hip bend is his secret?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#43 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:25 am

I mean, most of his highlights feature his awareness.

Can he string these together consistently, that is the difference between a veteran and a rookie in this league. More good nights than bad, more good possessions than not. I think Bonga is on his way to something special if he keeps improving.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#44 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:54 am

Dat2U wrote:I can see something like this happening: Wall, T. Brown & a 2021 1st for Westbrook

PG Westbrook, Neto, I. Smith
SG Beal, J. Robinson, Mathews
SF Avdija, Bonga
PF Hachimura, Bertans, Gill
C Bryant, R. Lopez, Wagner

On second thought, after I checked Westbrook’s stats the past three years; he’s clearly not dominating like he did when he averaged over 30-10-10 all season. Paul George and James Harden were his teammates. Beal needs the ball. The pairing probably won’t be very effective.

I don’t think Washington should give up a prospect and a first.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#45 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:12 am

Ruzious wrote:We're still badly lacking a power athlete for frontcourt defense - not even a Tyler Bey type.

Aaron Gordon, Terrence Ross, Markelle Fultz for John Wall and Rui Hachimura.

Gordon makes half of what Wall makes. Fultz might have as much impact or more than Hachimura.
Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,501

Post#46 » by NatP4 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:44 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:We're still badly lacking a power athlete for frontcourt defense - not even a Tyler Bey type.

Aaron Gordon, Terrence Ross, Markelle Fultz for John Wall and Rui Hachimura.

Gordon makes half of what Wall makes. Fultz might have as much impact or more than Hachimura.

I would hate to give up Rui, but if we had to give up an A grade asset, this would be the trade to make.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#47 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 am

Re Bonga, anyone else get young Boris Diaw vibes? I mean that in the best possible way.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#48 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:17 am

Dat2U wrote:I can see something like this happening: Wall, T. Brown & a 2021 1st for Westbrook

PG Westbrook, Neto, I. Smith
SG Beal, J. Robinson, Mathews
SF Avdija, Bonga
PF Hachimura, Bertans, Gill
C Bryant, R. Lopez, Wagner

I saw people on Wizards Twitter floating this bullshid. F&8k NO!!! :lol: :banghead:

2021 Draft is gonna be good. Hell no. Not giving up that pick. And TBJ in year 3? HELL NO. I'm not gonna watch him take a jump in Houston. Wall can sit his ass down.

Those tweets pissed me off :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 am

I don't even want a declining Westbrook at age 32 who kills his team in the playoffs - much less give up 2 major assets. I'd rather trade him to NY - get nothing back - and give up 1 significant asset.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am

Jimmy Recard wrote:Re Bonga, anyone else get young Boris Diaw vibes? I mean that in the best possible way.

To some degree, but when Diaw was in shape, I think he had a much bigger offensive effect on the game. He was more of a creator.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#51 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:I don't even want a declining Westbrook at age 32 who kills his team in the playoffs - much less give up 2 major assets. I'd rather trade him to NY - get nothing back - and give up 1 significant asset.

I'd go further and say I don't want to trade Wall unless we get significant assets back. I think he's going to burn some teams this year. And I wouldn't want Westbrook unless they were giving us significant assets.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#52 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I don't even want a declining Westbrook at age 32 who kills his team in the playoffs - much less give up 2 major assets. I'd rather trade him to NY - get nothing back - and give up 1 significant asset.

I'd go further and say I don't want to trade Wall unless we get significant assets back. I think he's going to burn some teams this year. And I wouldn't want Westbrook unless they were giving us significant assets.

I agree. All this give up assets to trade Wall is crazy talk.

I hope it works out ... and by that, he plays and plays hard and we achieve some level of success with him. That’s the hand we have, not the one we wish we’d have.

You don’t get better by making yourself worse then giving away all the tools you have (ie draft picks and young players) to make yourself better.

That would be the #sowizards version of “the process.”
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

I agree. All this give up assets to trade Wall is crazy talk.

I hope it works out ... and by that, he plays and plays hard and we achieve some level of success with him. That’s the hand we have, not the one we wish we’d have.

You don’t get better by making yourself worse then giving away all the tools you have (ie draft picks and young players) to make yourself better.

That would be the #sowizards version of “the process.”

Otoh, I'm doubtful you get better by depending on a 30 year old PG coming back from 2 very serious injuries and paying him over 40 mil a year for each of the next 3 seasons - especially after he asks for a trade. Such is the hand we need to deal with.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#54 » by nuposse04 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:12 pm

Achilles injuries are devastating. He's gonna look really bad in the tail end of his 2nd year. If he could shoot he'd have some redeeming value, but the instant someone is willing to take him off our hands cause he LOOKS good, you pull the trigger.

Trade Beal too, blow this **** up.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,014

Post#55 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:33 am

Didn't we sign some other undrafted kid with a long last name...?

Yeah... Caleb Homesley.

I thought Tommy was in a huge rush to sign guys, but then I realize that training camp starts in a week...
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#56 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Ok... we've got 10 guys from last year (Wall, Beal, Bertans, Brown, Bryant, Ish, Rui, Robinson, Bonga & Wagner).

We've added Avdija, Winston, Gill, Neto & Lopez.

That's 15 guys, the full roster.

We've also signed Childs & Homesley -- those guys must be getting 2-way contracts.

Thus... no Garrison Mathews. Which makes zero sense to me.... Good luck, kid!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,501

Post#57 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:18 pm

payitforward wrote:Ok... we've got 10 guys from last year (Wall, Beal, Bertans, Brown, Bryant, Ish, Rui, Robinson, Bonga & Wagner).

We've also signed Childs & Homesley -- those guys must be getting 2-way contracts.

Mathews is coming back. Accepted his QO.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:21 pm

NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Ok... we've got 10 guys from last year (Wall, Beal, Bertans, Brown, Bryant, Ish, Rui, Robinson, Bonga & Wagner).

Mathews is coming back. Accepted his QO.

Mathews gets one of the 2-way contracts. It looks like Childs just has a training camp invite contract.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#59 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Ah... of course. But, is it Childs or Homesley or both who only have tc contracts?

I think Childs has a real chance to be a player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 pm

payitforward wrote:Ah... of course. But, is it Childs or Homesley or both who only have tc contracts?

I think Childs has a real chance to be a player.

Homesley actually got a 1 year deal for the league minimum. https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/11/21/21588850/2020-nba-free-agency-wizards-sign-caleb-homesley I don't know if his contract is guaranteed.

Kinda surprising - I guess there was competition to get him - which is probably a good sign - though my thinking is that it would have been a foolish more if they did guarantee him - and he probably should play in the G League all season.

Seth Curry also came from Liberty University.

Return to Washington Wizards