ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#541 » by Knicksick » Wed May 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey guys knick fan here. I wanted to ask you guys a question: Do you believe that your management would consider the following offer or would they hang up immediately?

Knicks trade Mobley(80% of his contract is covered by insurance meaning that any owner taking him saves 7mill. right away)+ 8th pick

for Mik James OR Etan Thomas and 5th pick

I know that "financial" trades are mostly unpopular among fans--but I just wanted to get an honest opinion if you think your GM would at least consider such a trade?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,392

Post#542 » by Dat2U » Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm

doclinkin wrote:
mhd wrote:I think Johnson has a Caron Butler type game. He'll be a good pro. However, I think we should trade the pick which seems like the plan.

No doubt, but I'm saying if we trade down and still land JamesJ I'd say we did alright. Though reports suggest he's killing it in workouts and may climb, so who knows.

I know you like James Johnson, but doesn't he remind you abit of Antoine Walker? A big with a good frame that seems to love to hang around the perimeter too much and hoist jumpers? Talented guy indeed but very much a tweener which of course means he'll have trouble defending either 3s or 4s at the next level.

Just seems like we have enough of these psuedo bigs that prefer to play on the perimeter as opposed to playing down low.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#543 » by fishercob » Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Knicksick wrote:Hey guys knick fan here. I wanted to ask you guys a question: Do you believe that your management would consider the following offer or would they hang up immediately?

Knicks trade Mobley(80% of his contract is covered by insurance meaning that any owner taking him saves 7mill. right away)+ 8th pick

I know that "financial" trades are mostly unpopular among fans--but I just wanted to get an honest opinion if you think your GM would at least consider such a trade?

Yes, but.

Their first goal is going to be to add a rotation player via trade. If for whatever reason they can't swing it, something like this would make sense and they could draft Blair or Henderson at 8.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,425

Post#544 » by Kanyewest » Wed May 27, 2009 5:14 pm

fishercob wrote:
Jamison's 6'9 too. People refer to him as "undersized" because he isn't 6'11 and isn't a high flyer. And Lewis, while 6'10, is a perimter player. But that's my point -- he's not the KG/Duncan prototype, and yet he's still very effective.

Point is, the Wiz can add the right pieces to what they have and compete for a ring. They don't need to figure out how to dump Jamison or lengthen his arms.

People refer to Jamison as undersized because he's ineffective at guarding power forwards. Kenyon Martin is considered a good defender and has more athleticism. I agree that Martin is not a protypical PF like KG or Tim Duncan. But he's not undersized like someone like Paul Millsap or DeJuan Blair. Heck, Martin is more athletic with his vertical today after his knee surgeries.

As for Rashard Lewis, like Antawn Jamison, his play and skill set are much different than a player like Millsap or Blair. While Lewis and Jamison are not effective in the post, they are able to create mismatches because they have good jumpers from the mid range and 3. You can win with someone like Lewis if you surround him with size at the other positions (Dwight Howard 6'11, and Hedo Turkoglu 6-10)

By no means am I suggesting that we trade Jamison. But the original question suggested can you compete to win with DeJuan Blair or Paul Millsap as your primary big man. Frankly, I don't think the next Karl Malone is clearly visible in this draft so taking a player like Blair that could fit in your rotation isn't a bad thing if that is indeed the best player on the board. But I highly doubt that Grunfeld will take Blair at #5 if the Wizards keep the pick. Most of the picks are unfinished products with high ceilings (McGee, Young, Blatche). I'm thinking if the Wizards do indeed keep the pick, they will go for one of those high potential guards (Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings).
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#545 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
fishercob wrote:
Jamison's 6'9 too. People refer to him as "undersized" because he isn't 6'11 and isn't a high flyer. And Lewis, while 6'10, is a perimter player. But that's my point -- he's not the KG/Duncan prototype, and yet he's still very effective.

Point is, the Wiz can add the right pieces to what they have and compete for a ring. They don't need to figure out how to dump Jamison or lengthen his arms.

People refer to Jamison as undersized because he's ineffective at guarding power forwards. Kenyon Martin is considered a good defender and has more athleticism. I agree that Martin is not a protypical PF like KG or Tim Duncan. But he's not undersized like someone like Paul Millsap or DeJuan Blair. Heck, Martin is more athletic with his vertical today after his knee surgeries.

As for Rashard Lewis, like Antawn Jamison, his play and skill set are much different than a player like Millsap or Blair. While Lewis and Jamison are not effective in the post, they are able to create mismatches because they have good jumpers from the mid range and 3. You can win with someone like Lewis if you surround him with size at the other positions (Dwight Howard 6'11, and Hedo Turkoglu 6-10)

By no means am I suggesting that we trade Jamison. But the original question suggested can you compete to win with DeJuan Blair or Paul Millsap as your primary big man. Frankly, I don't think the next Karl Malone is clearly visible in this draft so taking a player like Blair that could fit in your rotation isn't a bad thing if that is indeed the best player on the board. But I highly doubt that Grunfeld will take Blair at #5 if the Wizards keep the pick. Most of the picks are unfinished products with high ceilings (McGee, Young, Blatche). I'm thinking if the Wizards do indeed keep the pick, they will go for one of those high potential guards (Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings).

Once again the eyes seem to deceive, as far as I'm concerned. Millsap is considerably better than Kenyon Martin.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... spa01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ike01.html

Martin is more athletic, but Millsap is a better player. Millsap gives 16.2 and 10.3 per 36 minutes at a PER of 18.3. Martin give 13.1 and 6.7 at a PER of 13.6 (15.7 career) Regardless of how high Martin jumps or how athletic he looks, Millsap rebounds and scores more effectively and at a higher rate. Millsap has the much higher eFG and TS percentages.

I think it's flat out FALSE that the Jazz can't win with Millsap.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08UTA10.HTM

The Jazz were much better with Millsap on the court. Plus 8.3 points per 100 possessions better.

Code: Select all

On Court / Off Court stats
Many stats are shown on a 'per 48 minute' basis
Stat ON Court OFF Court Net
Minutes 2290  1684  57%
Offense: Pts per 100 Poss. 112.7 109.0 +3.7
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss. 106.5 111.1 -4.6
Net Points per 100 Possessions +6.2 -2.1 +8.3

They rebounded much better.

Code: Select all

On Court / Off Court stats
Offensive Rebounding 33.0% 27.6% +5.4%
Defensive Rebounding 70.8% 69.9% +0.9%
Total Rebounding 51.9% 48.7% +3.2%

In fact, the Jazz were highly effective with Millsap at C as well as at PF.

Three things happened at the end of the year that made the Jazz look bad: Boozer came back from injury and brought his Jamison-like defense with him. Okur got injured right before the playoffs and threw off the rotation even further. And the Jazz had to play the Lakers, the team with all kinds of height to bother them.

Which brings to the point I'm going to post til the cows come home: I think Blair's a better Millsap, certainly worth a #5 pick.

Blair rebounds like nobody else but Griffin. He also scored very efficiently in points per minute and points per posseession. His teams have won at every level.

I think the so-called experts are wrong again. I've only been wrong twice (Sweetney, but he ate himself out of the league--his play met my expectations. And with Almond) when I say they're wrong.

They missed very badly with Boozer, Millsap, Korver, Marquis Daniels, David West (but I did jump off his bandwagon at the last second), Blake, Quinn, Baxter (who did make the NBA), Songaila (who I said could playin the NBA because he and Baxter competed in the pivot against Boozer--who I said was better than Williams or Dunleavy) and I'm sure I called a few others that escape me. The main reason I thought all those guys could play in the NBA had to do with just what I inferred from the stats they put up over time in college.

This year the Big East was stacked with not good but GREAT teams.

Blair was the best player in the conference, along with Thabeet, according to coaches. Both those guys will not be good pros, they'll be GREAT pros. Thabeet's defense alone will make him great.

Blair IMO will probably average around 17 points and 12 rebounds at some point in his NBA career. I won't be shocked if he scores better than that.
Bye bye Beal.
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#546 » by Knicksick » Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

fishercob wrote:
Knicksick wrote:Hey guys knick fan here. I wanted to ask you guys a question: Do you believe that your management would consider the following offer or would they hang up immediately?

Yes, but.

Their first goal is going to be to add a rotation player via trade. If for whatever reason they can't swing it, something like this would make sense and they could draft Blair or Henderson at 8.

Thanks for the input----I'm not even sure the Knicks are looking to move up at all because we have no information on who they want(other then Curry)---I was just a little bored and wanted to see if it''s possible to move up or not etc.

Let me ask you guys another thing: Isn't Jordan Hill for you guys the only real logical chioce at 5?I mean you are well set at every position except PF the way I see it:

PG: Arenas
SG:Butler
SF:Jamison
PF:Thomas?
C:Haywood

Or are Butler/Jamison better suited for the 4 in which case you'd want a SG? Depending on whether Jamsion plays more 3 or 4 I really believe that PF is your biggest hole isn't it?No offense but the two ukrainian guys aren't really good and Etan Thomas is always injured----isn't it time you guys take a chance at a talented,hardworking guy at 5th instead of setting for another perimeter oriented player?I know Kwame might have traumatized you but the way I see it , Jordan Hill is gonna be AT LEAST a 12point/10rebounds guy with good defense and nice athleticism running the floor and fittin in with the rest of the guys.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,743

Post#547 » by doclinkin » Wed May 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
mhd wrote:I think Johnson has a Caron Butler type game. He'll be a good pro. However, I think we should trade the pick which seems like the plan.

No doubt, but I'm saying if we trade down and still land JamesJ I'd say we did alright. Though reports suggest he's killing it in workouts and may climb, so who knows.

I know you like James Johnson, but doesn't he remind you abit of Antoine Walker? A big with a good frame that seems to love to hang around the perimeter too much and hoist jumpers? Talented guy indeed but very much a tweener which of course means he'll have trouble defending either 3s or 4s at the next level.

Just seems like we have enough of these psuedo bigs that prefer to play on the perimeter as opposed to playing down low.

Yes he reminds me a bit of employee #8. Hey, if Walkaaah weren't a jacker and an ass he would have been a fine player.

But two three-pt attempts per 40 minutes is a loooooong way away from fat-head Walker and his 6 plus per game. Plus JJ defends intelligently, rebounds pretty tough, passes alright, hits a midrange shot -- all good fits for a Flip Saunders system. The key problem with our Pseudo-Bigs is mostly that they aren't producing. Other than Jamison, who doesn't pass or handle really. If we ain't landing dominant muscle up front (rare to find) it's not a bad thing to add actual skill and production, whether face-up or down low. On Defense Johnson looks like he could get leaner and stronger both. Could defend LeCrab/Pierce if not the quickest SF's. Orlando for example does just fine with skilled Bigs (okay, with Dwight behind them).

Playing next to Haywood it's not a bad thing to add skill. An alternative to Jamison, one who doesn't seem to completely hate contact, but has a few similar skills. If we have an alternative, it opens up trade possibilities down the line.

Overall I'm about trading down and taking the Best Player Available. There are solid role players in this draft. James Johnson. Ty Lawson. etc. (My guy Curry will probably go too high to make any trade down worth much. And I don't see the front office even going that direction).

James Johnson just looks to me like one of the BPA candidates who should be able to find a solid role in the NBA, and in Flip's system. Under Flip, Antonio McDyess wasn't mixing it up much underneath, but he'd kill you with the mid-range. Maybe Blatche takes that role. Maybe not. I don't hate the idea of a guy who can take teh 3-4 spots and play them, especially if he can pick up the Zone D scheme quickly.
RealGM

Post#548 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm

As far as I'm concerned Curry is also a fine pick at #5.

A guy who I also like (in a trade down) is Terrance Williams.

Blair, Curry, Harden, Lawson, and Williams can step in and play and help the Wizards as role players from day one. So could Collison, Maynor, and probably Flynn. Evans' maturity and background scare me. Williams is much more ready IMO than Evans. I also like Mclinton a lot.
Bye bye Beal.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 195

Post#549 » by WizarDynasty » Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm

the honest truth is this. If we get Hill, he is going to be our best post player even as a rookie and that's pretty sad.
James Johnson, it all depends on how quick his feet are at defending small forwards. If he has a lane agility time close under 11 seconds, then he is a two way smallforward that will be useful. from what i remember, he seemed pretty slow footed on defense. If his lane agility is slow in the 12 second time frame like Caron Butler's was, then we pass because he is a dime a dozen and won't cut it defending the perimeter.
we absolutely suck at defensive rebounding and Hill is already an elite defensive rebounder that can rebound outside of his immediate space and has high motor and strong work ethic with no attitude problems, he also has a nice mid range stroke, and gives us guaranteed rebounding and inside offense coming off the bench. His IQ isn't as high as Blakes and He also doesn't have a strong lower body like McGee but his foot work and offensive coordination, and defensive quickness are far more advanced than McGee. He finishes above the rim unlike Blatche and his loves to fight for defensive rebounds unlike blatche. He is the best fit for us and allow us to push Jamison to three for huge stretches of time and has the quickness to defend the pick and roll.

Obviously he may never build a strong lower leg strength to battle nba bigs but he is far stronger in his lower body than McGee so if we are willing to wait years for McGee, then it should be a piece of cake to wait for Hill. McGee does seem to have a higher basketball IQ but playing as rugged powerforward that averages over 10 defensive boards a game, can shot block, take people of the dribble, and hit the mid range jumpshot...that's enough bball iq to get you by on the wizards since teh wiz don't have a bigman with all of those skill sets in the same player.
The truth is that we don't have a go to guy to score in the paint..Blatche has gotten better but has a way to go. Jamison doesn't play with his back to basket. Haywood is mechanical and only getting older. Javale is uncoordinated with his back to basket. Hill already has a few post moves on offense and is already a defensive presence on defense. More importantly, Hill will be the best defensive rebounder on our team on day one at the powerforward spot. Let's hope we get him. Otherwise, we need our Danny granger clone, or trade for our Danny granger scottie pippen clone straight up with the fifth pick.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#550 » by closg00 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 pm

All of the mocks that have us taking Hill at 5 make me sick. I wonder which player that's left on the board @ 5 will be worth another team trading for and taking one of our bad contracts? Ending-up w/Hill would be a worst-case scenario in my book. I don't care that he's got "up-side"

^^^^
Edit: My understanding is that Hill does not have a mid-range game and that he is working on it. Hill is another "Raw" player, he's only been playing hoops for 7 years.
RealGM

Post#551 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Hill is not as good as Blair. Not even close. I'll hate Hill as the pick.

THAT SAID, knowing Grunfeld, that's who he'll pick. Hill.

When that happens the Wizards have to trade Blatche/Pecherov or McGee. If they do this and pick up a guy like Sefolosha; or if they can jettison Stevenson and get somebody like Garcia; then I'll be almost okay with the pick.

Add an aggressive froncourt player and also a defensive wing and MAYBE they'll be okay.

I'll be bitching about them not drafting Blair for years to come, regardless. :)

Whatever move the Wizards make, I think it won't be the best they could do.
Bye bye Beal.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#552 » by WizarDynasty » Wed May 27, 2009 6:37 pm

closg00 wrote:All of the mocks that have us taking Hill at 5 make me sick. I wonder which player that's left on the board @ 5 will be worth another team trading for and taking one of our bad contracts? Ending-up w/Hill would be a worst-case scenario in my book. I don't care that he's got "up-side"

Our best defensive rebounder on the team is DMAC, that should be a big concern especially since we don't see DMAC as our s/f or s/g of the future and points to this teams serious longterm problems in the front court. Blatche is not a consistently strong defensive rebounder and neither is Haywood, if you need me to show you stats i will. Close analysis shows that Jamison doesn't force shots and doesn't collect the rebounds of the shots that he forces misses on--since he allows the guy he is guarding to hit on .55 of his shots and Jamison doesn't shot block. The wizards need a player that can log heavy minutes at the p/f spot, collect over defensive boards a game, shot block, and score inside and finish above the rim, can hit the midranger jumper, and is quick enough to guard the pick and role..(this knocks McGee out of the equation because he is to slow to guard the pick and role)
We aren't getting blake and next best defensive rebounder..two way player is jordan hill. If slips, he will definitely help us in the trenches. I would love for us to get a scottie pippen clone at the small forward spot.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
RealGM

Post#553 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 6:39 pm

A thought that I'm sure's been posted: The last #5 pick the Wizards made was for Devin Harris.

My twist: Stephen Curry's a lot like Devin Harris was coming out of Wisconsin. Only Curry's definitely already made the transition to PG while in college. Both guys are volume scorers with very similar frames.

The thought the Wizards don't think Curry can help them, but they've got clueless Nick Young in a promininent role is astounding to me.
Bye bye Beal.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,576

Post#554 » by mhd » Wed May 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Hill is not as good as Blair. Not even close. I'll hate Hill as the pick.

When that happens the Wizards have to trade Blatche/Pecherov or McGee. If they do this and pick up a guy like Sefolosha; or if they can jettison Stevenson and get somebody like Garcia; then I'll be almost okay with the pick.

Add an aggressive froncourt player and also a defensive wing and MAYBE they'll be okay.

I'll be bitching about them not drafting Blair for years to come, regardless. :)

CCJ, Blair had two ACLs tears in high school. He's overweight. He's never had to shoot a midrange jumper in his life. How is he going to play next to Haywood? Any PF we'd draft has to be able to play next to Haywood and Java. Jordan Hill can be that because he's shown to hit the outside jumper. He's isn't fat at all. He has no injury history. He played in a diverse offensive set (I'm sorry, but Pitt's "offensive" sets make Mike Brown look like a genious).

Oh, and regarding Nick Young, Morris Almond is out of the league. Belinelli isn't even a rotation player. Young was the best defender on the team last year. He had to score considering he had no PG out there. Imagine him playing with Arenas in a real offensive system before you are so quick to judge.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,425

Post#555 » by Kanyewest » Wed May 27, 2009 6:43 pm

True that Kenyon cannot lead a team either as the primary big man option. That's why the Nuggets have Nene. Heck it can be argued that Martin is the 5th best player on his team (Anthony, Nene, Billups, Smith). At his stage in his career Milsapp is better although a more interesting debate would be how Kenyon Martin was pre-injury; while Milsapp is a better rebounder, Martin is a better finisher and his athleticism helps him on the defensive end. By the way who is more of a black hole defensively, Keith Van Horn or Carlos Boozer.

The Jazz were struggling at the end of the season and as a whole were a terrible team. I believe they lost to the Warriors who were playing with their best players (Stephen Jackson, Jamal Crawford, Monte Ellis, and Corey Maggette).

The Jazz faced their hurdles but even the Rockets without Yao were able to force the Lakers to 7. The Lakers's height really exposed the Jazz's weakness, their own lack of height particularily in Paul Millsap and Boozer. True that Millsap gets his numbers; he's a great rebounder. However, for all those offensive rebounds he gets, he doesn't get easy baskets due to his lack of height. He is also a poor finisher at the free throw line. He's a solid rotation guy but on a winning team, he's best as a secondary option to someone like Gasol, Howard, Yao.

Getting someone like that in the draft in Blair isn't a bad thing. I too believe Blair is a superior prospect to Millsapp. He's a bit stronger and appears to have much more of an offensive game from what I've seen in college and appears to be an equal when it comes to rebounding. Remains to be seen if the Wizards could improve themselves more with another player (ie someone like Evans, Curry) or a trade for a veteraN)
RealGM

Post#556 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 6:44 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
closg00 wrote:All of the mocks that have us taking Hill at 5 make me sick. I wonder which player that's left on the board @ 5 will be worth another team trading for and taking one of our bad contracts? Ending-up w/Hill would be a worst-case scenario in my book. I don't care that he's got "up-side"

Our best defensive rebounder on the team is DMAC, that should be a big concern especially since we don't see DMAC as our s/f or s/g of the future and points to this teams serious longterm problems in the front court. Blatche is not a consistently strong defensive rebounder and neither is Haywood, if you need me to show you stats i will. Close analysis shows that Jamison doesn't force shots and collect the rebounds of the shots that he forces misses on.
We aren't getting blake and next best defensive rebounder..two way player is jordan hill. If slips, he will definitely help us in the trenches. I would love for us to get a scottie pippen clone at the small forward spot.

WD, Jordan Hill's defensive rebounds were impressive at 6.8 per 40 minutes.

DeJuan Blair averaged 9.9 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes.

Blair is way, way, better even at defensive rebounding than Jordan Hill.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJ ... 049/stats/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Hill-1222/
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#557 » by fishercob » Wed May 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Hill is not as good as Blair. Not even close. I'll hate Hill as the pick.

Maybe. You were certainly right about Millsap, Sessions and others.

But then there's Mo Almond, Hendrix, Fazekas and Novak who haven't gotten it done for whatever reason. Bottom line is, none of us know who is going to get hurt, or have family or substance problems, or lose their desire once they get paid, etc. It's anyone's best guess at this point.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#558 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Have I mentioned that the only thing I think Hill is better at is length?

Hill is almost 2 years older than Blair.

The Wizards are chumps for rating Hill that high.
Bye bye Beal.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#559 » by WizarDynasty » Wed May 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Kanyewest wrote:True that Kenyon cannot lead a team either as the primary big man option. That's why the Nuggets have Nene. Heck it can be argued that Martin is the 5th best player on his team (Anthony, Nene, Billups, Smith). At his stage in his career Milsapp is better although a more interesting debate would be how Kenyon Martin was pre-injury; while Milsapp is a better rebounder, Martin is a better finisher and his athleticism helps him on the defensive end. By the way who is more of a black hole defensively, Keith Van Horn or Carlos Boozer.

The Jazz were struggling at the end of the season and as a whole were a terrible team. I believe they lost to the Warriors who were playing with their best players (Stephen Jackson, Jamal Crawford, Monte Ellis, and Corey Maggette).

The Jazz faced their hurdles but even the Rockets without Yao were able to force the Lakers to 7. The Lakers's height really exposed the Jazz's weakness, their own lack of height particularily in Paul Millsap and Boozer. True that Millsap gets his numbers; he's a great rebounder. However, for all those offensive rebounds he gets, he doesn't get easy baskets due to his lack of height. He is also a poor finisher at the free throw line. He's a solid rotation guy but on a winning team, he's best as a secondary option to someone like Gasol, Howard, Yao.

Getting someone like that in the draft in Blair isn't a bad thing. I too believe Blair is a superior prospect to Millsapp. He's a bit stronger and appears to have much more of an offensive game from what I've seen in college and appears to be an equal when it comes to rebounding. Remains to be seen if the Wizards could improve themselves more with another player (ie someone like Evans, Curry) or a trade for a veteraN)

Biggest problem with Blair is transition defense. Once you start running, blair at 300 lbs can't keep up and he can't finish above the rim. He is going to be an awesome rebounder because he sucks up so much space but doesn't have the quickness to guard powerforward out on the perimeter. I guess we need to see what his lane agility scores are to see if he is quick enough to guard out on the perimeter. Asking Blair to guard a guy like Rashard Lewis at the p/f slot would be a nightmare which forces us to play him at center. 6'6 p/f w/o shoes playing center..is a challenge in he playoff no matter how you look at it. Big Baby Measured at 6'8 without shoes but had short arms. Obviously if Blair has unbelieve lateral quickness for a 300 pounder or 280 whatever he weighs, then you might be able to take advantage but the measurements are not out. I remember from the NCAA, teams exploited him by playing at a fast pace and forcing him to sprint up and down the court like the NBA does with SHAQ. After two or three sprints, SHAQ and Blair...300 pounders are dead tired..and start trotting up the court not able to sprint for finishes like a McGee or a Amare..or Jordan Hill.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#560 » by nate33 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Knicksick wrote:Let me ask you guys another thing: Isn't Jordan Hill for you guys the only real logical chioce at 5?I mean you are well set at every position except PF the way I see it:

PG: Arenas
SG:Butler
SF:Jamison
PF:Thomas?
C:Haywood

Or are Butler/Jamison better suited for the 4 in which case you'd want a SG? Depending on whether Jamsion plays more 3 or 4 I really believe that PF is your biggest hole isn't it?No offense but the two ukrainian guys aren't really good and Etan Thomas is always injured----isn't it time you guys take a chance at a talented,hardworking guy at 5th instead of setting for another perimeter oriented player?I know Kwame might have traumatized you but the way I see it , Jordan Hill is gonna be AT LEAST a 12point/10rebounds guy with good defense and nice athleticism running the floor and fittin in with the rest of the guys.

Butler is a pure SF who can play SG in a pinch but doesn't thrive there. Jamison is a tweener. He's a bit better at PF than SF but it's not a big difference. He's very good offensively at either spot, and very poor defensively at either spot.

The bottom line is that Jamison is the starting PF on this team and there is no way in hell that Hill will be any better than Jamison in the next two or three years. And I seriously doubt that Hill will be any better than Blatche in the foreseeable future. One can even argue that Songaila will be better than Hill for the next couple of years.

Drafting HIll would be an utter waste of a pick because if he played at all, he'd be taking PF minutes from better players. The Wizards biggest weakness is at SG and backup PG. Harden, Curry, Evans and Lawson (and perhaps even Henderson) would help the Wizards win more games over the next 3 years than Hill would.

Return to Washington Wizards