ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards solutions and no fingerpointing or drama

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#61 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 1:19 pm

Being an undersized center does not make one a power forward. Etan cannot play PF in this offense. He can't dribble, shoot or pass. He's not that good defensively at PF either though he'd be okay against certain matchups.

And EG would be crazy to pay Jamison $12M when nobody else is going to offer more than $5.5M
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#62 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 1:56 pm

nate33 wrote:Being an undersized center does not make one a power forward. Etan cannot play PF in this offense. He can't dribble, shoot or pass. He's not that good defensively at PF either though he'd be okay against certain matchups.

And EG would be crazy to pay Jamison $12M when nobody else is going to offer more than $5.5M

Sure ET is a PF/C. Actually more of a PF then a center. When you say he can't dribble, I'm not following you. We don't need a PG. He can dribble enough to set up his post moves. He blocks very well. He is big who boxes out well. He can shoot ok from as far as the FT line. With another big with him, he can extend his D. Some way AB and BH play well together. His biggest weakness to me is his FT shooting which I hope he is working on.

As a 15 min per game back up PF/C he is a fine fit for this team given they have AB, BH and OP to play along with him. He is the extra big with muscle and experience we are missing. Fine, call him the back up center and OP the PF. All 3 (AB, ET, OP) can play both.

But he is the PF when you play ET/BH. I just didnt want to write every combo of how he can be used. I guess it would be more likely he gets his a the center though.

A lot of the reason people havent liked our bigs is because of how they have been lined up. We have played them one at a time and all at center. None of them are that good. But when played in combos, they are a lot better because the 2nd big on the floor covers up for weakness in one on one defense, foot speed or bulk.

The key is playing them in pairs with another big.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#63 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 8, 2008 2:23 pm

hands11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's just so sad we signed EJ to more then one year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2520388

But we do get an option on the 3rd year, so I guess he is only owed money for 08/09 which should be around 4M. This could probably be bought out for 3M or less.

Trying to part Abe with that may be a challenge but if the right coach comes along maybe EG can get him to except it's time to move on and upgrade.

Wow, my heart suddenly feel a bit of hope regarding our coaching situation. This will be so different then most remember. This a totally different situation. With the talent we have and EG as the GM, we can get a top flight coach to come here now.

We haven't had a real coach since Jimmy L was here. I miss the little Irishman.

Even know the worst case is we have EJ for next year and then we can move on feels better then 2 more years.

You sometimes make good points, but it's annoying posts like that that cause probably a lot of us to just ignore anything smart that you might have to say.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,392

Post#64 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:16 pm

Here's what the Wizards need IMO:

1. A healthy Gilbert Arenas at 100%. We need the Gilbert of old offensively with just a tad better shot selection. The 'hibachi' who defenses have absolutely no answer for. The biggest thing we've been missing thus far this season in his absense is a guy who can create his own shot when the offense bogs down. This is a must have come playoff time when all teams play tough defense.

2. More consistency from the SG spot. DeBrick, er DeShawn has had his moments, especially defensively but what this team cannot afford is for him to return to do the 19% FG shooting, 45% Ft shooting bricklayer we saw in the playoffs. It's much tougher for teams to win basketball games playing 4 on 5 offensively, especially when the guy not scoring is a guard. As much as people wax poetic about DeShawn's season thus far, offensively he still grades out as easily one of the worst starting SGs in the league.

Nick Young is an unbelievable ball hog. He's also pretty useless unless his shot is going in (much like his college career). Frankly I also get the feeling he's not going to be the guy to count on come playoff time, at least not yet.

Roger Mason Jr. has also had his moments, but on a game-by-game basis we go from seeing a quality NBA reserve who can hit with range and play solid D to a guy who looks like he should be back playing in Spain or France somewhere. Consistency is a big problem for him.

I still think the Wizards will need to upgrade the SG position at some point in the near future.

3. More Blatche & Haywood together. Much less Songaila. Darius has frankly been the Wizards biggest achillies heel this year. At 6-8 with short arms he resembles Michael Ruffin's build but without any lift to go along with it. Whoever in the front office or coaching staff thought this guy could play C made a terrible mistake. He's too floor-bound to make any difference defensively or on the boards. His shot has left the building for some time now and its obvious his confidence is pretty low. He makes me miss the rugged play of Etan Thomas.

I think giving as minutes to Blatche & Wood is the best option right now the way our roster is configured. Pech is very much a rookie and probably still not in ideal shape. Maybe asking Pech to focus less on shooting and more on rebounding and hustling would be a good move at this point so he can effectively steal some minutes at the end of the bench when Wood & Blatche are tired or in foul trouble.

With a healthy Gil, the development of Blatche & improvement of Wood, I think we have certainly closed the gap in the East b/w us and Boston & Detroit. The SG question remains, so does a lack of depth upfront behind Blatche & Wood, but I think were in pretty good shape long term if we get the old Gil back. Ernie may need to take some additional small steps to continue to EJ proof the team (i.e. trading Songaila and eventually at some point, Etan).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#65 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:33 pm

Nice post Dat2U

I'll add that with a healthy Arenas, the SG depth will be vastly improved because AD will get 15 minutes a game there.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#66 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:50 pm

One more thing, Deshawn has actually been pretty solid for us, even offensively. He was awful (like the rest of the team) during the first 5 games, but since then, he has been fine.

Here are his pace-adjusted per-40 numbers excluding the first 5 games:

Code: Select all

Player        PTS  REB  AST  STL  BLK   TO eFG%  TS%  PER
stevenson,de 14.6  4.2  4.1  1.1  0.3  1.8 .501 .540 13.2

That's almost 15 points per 40 with an eFG% above 50% and a very nice assist/turnover ratio. Of the 36 SG's who average at least 25 minutes a game, Deshawn ranks 17th in eFG% and 4th in A/TO ratio. That's pretty efficient offensive play for a guy who is supposed to be primarily a defensive stopper.

While there is no doubt that Stevenson isn't as good at his peers at creating his own shot, I think that inadequacy is minimized on a team with Arenas, Butler and Jamison. Stevenson is a very good fit on the roster and if plays exactly like he does now come playoff time, I won't have any complaints.
hands11
Banned User

Post#67 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 8:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You sometimes make good points, but it's annoying posts like that that cause probably a lot of us to just ignore anything smart that you might have to say.

It may be annoying to YOU but its just facts to ME.

I think we can do better regarding a HC. If you don't, that is fine. If somehow my voicing that makes it hard for YOU to read other good points I have to make, then I think that is something you may want to look at.

I still don't understand why people have the need to speak from a group view in order to give wait to their perspective.

"that cause probably a lot of us"

Why not just say "causes me"
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#68 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:08 pm

hands11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It may be annoying to YOU but its just facts to ME.

I think we can do better regarding a HC. If you don't, that is fine. If somehow my voicing that makes it hard for YOU to read other good points I have to make, then I think that is something you may want to look at.

I still don't understand why people have the need to speak from a group view in order to give wait to their perspective.

"that cause probably a lot of us"

Why not just say "causes me"

Well, you sort of just answered your own question. As a number of people have shared this same opinion, Ruz was expressing something that a number of people feel. Are you honestly surprised at this point? Should we post a poll?
hands11
Banned User

Post#69 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 11:35 pm

fishercob wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, you sort of just answered your own question. As a number of people have shared this same opinion, Ruz was expressing something that a number of people feel. Are you honestly surprised at this point? Should we post a poll?

Dude, give it a break. Lighten up.

You wanta poll? That's what I figured.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#70 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 8, 2008 11:56 pm

hands11 wrote:Why not just say "causes me"

It causes me. :wink:

I apologize if I I was out of line. At the time, I thought it needed to be said. But you're like the Andray Blatche here - talented but raw. Given time, Blatche is going to be very good.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,747

Post#71 » by doclinkin » Sat Feb 9, 2008 12:07 am

hands11 wrote:With the talent we have and EG as the GM, we can get a top flight coach to come here now.

We haven't had a real coach since Jimmy L was here. I miss the little Irishman.

Heh. I actually snorted lunch when I read this. God love Jimmy Lynam, I liked the guy too as a human being, but the guy was the NBA definition of 'hapless'.

His players liked him, felt sorry for him, tried hard, but god man he was the worst at reading a game, substitutions, match-ups, riding the hot hand, getting respect from refs. Drawing up plays that actually worked after a dead ball.

He was really good at shrugging, bending it over and taking it in the uh... Loss column. Always looked like he needed a hug.

I miss Jimmy Lynam, but not as a head coach and not for these Wizards. Top flight Jimmy Lynam, heh. Still gives me the giggles. Thanks. Woo, comedy.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#72 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:31 am

nate33 wrote:Being an undersized center does not make one a power forward. Etan cannot play PF in this offense. He can't dribble, shoot or pass. He's not that good defensively at PF either though he'd be okay against certain matchups.

According to a couple PhDs who put together an article that 82games ran, Jamison's put up MVP-type numbers this season, nate.

http://82games.com/barzilai2.htm

Adjusted Plus-Minus: 2007-2008 Midseason results

Statistically, Nash
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#73 » by Zerocious » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:32 am

we just need to deal with the issues
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#74 » by BruceO » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:29 pm

Now post denver game, do you see why I've been saying we need an Artest type player? I'm not saying the wiz will get him. All i'm saying is his issues are reflected in his price tag. Artest is what rasheed was. I feel if you put him in a good team his antics will be less. I'd be very surprised if we win anything when we connsistently have issues with big small forwards.
I can go on record and say unless any personel changes are made we are not going to win anything within the next few years because we don't have the right makeup. That SF issues comes clearly when we play against the carmelo's, the pierces, the lebrons and the turkoglu's. It doesnt have to be artest, it can be a battier even. Get someone who will specialize in stopping those guys. get a big SF so we can bring him off the bench or start him depending on teams we face.
Also I do recognize that we are developing that skilled PF in Andray. I hope their long term plans are him at PF instead of them playing him as a C. I hope they get rid of songaila, theres people in the Draft who are more skilled. (kevin love).
Someone said what I said wasnt earth shattering. If it isnt so earth shattering everything should be directed towards acquiring those players.
clubbing_caveman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#75 » by clubbing_caveman » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:29 pm

At this moment, we have lots of players out. There are lots of holes in this team given the players we are suiting up. As a result, the players are are trying to make shots which they usually cant and do things that they usually cant. Right now, what we need is an adjustment from the coaching staff after first realizing what the strengths are for the players we put on the court. Maybe the fast tempo, perimeter shooting team is not what is best for this team right now. Maybe we should slow it down just a bit. Just throwing out some thoughts... I dont think the "Princeton" offense is good for these guys right now.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#76 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:39 pm

According to the latest lenovo stats on nba.com, even Blatche/Haywood isn't working well in +/- for the Wizards.

Washington doesn't have anybody who feeds the post well consistently. Blatche can't get a call. Andray blocks shots yet is actually not defending well. Seems every game he picks up an offensive foul on what would be a basket. Brendan's not had the same intensity level lately as he had to start the season. His individual +/- is still good, but he hasn't beasted anyone now that teams don't have to try and stop Caron. Washington's not good at playing big when there's nobody who can create on the court.

This being the solution thread, I propose an unlikely idea:

Start Nick Young with Daniels out. Stevenson, Young, Jamison, Blatche, and Haywood would give two young guys quality minutes with the starters. Just let Young take all the shots he wants because scoring is the only way that kid can help the team.

Let Young have the ball and accept the mistakes and shotjacking.

At least with Blatche and Haywood the Wizards can rebound.

I would like for the Wizards to rest Daniels and Butler til after the AS break, and have Young and Blatche start. Just have everybody play loose and the Wizards might steal a game or two.

I think Young must dominate in practice because in the games it looks like he expects every shot to go in. I think he can be a very good scorer.
Bye bye Beal.
zardsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#77 » by zardsfan » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:22 pm

Trade Jamison & Haywood for J.Oneal

Doesn't help short-term but may be better long-term with Oneal at the 5 and Blatche at the 4 as starters.

I love Jamison, but I think Blatche is the future at Power Forward for the Zards.
Knuckleheads need not apply!
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#78 » by BruceO » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:41 pm

The thing about Jermaine O'neal and all those injuries is I wonder if he's overrated. Thats the reason I don't like him at that price tag. That and his team hasnt been going anywhere in a while.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 821

Post#79 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:00 pm

zardsfan wrote:I love Jamison, but I think Blatche is the future at Power Forward for the Zards.

I completely agree. Of course that means a decision between Butler and Jamison at SF. I don't see EJ having the balls to make that call. And the fact that Jamison hasn't been used in a trade means that he's likely to be resigned.

Once again, having a roster full of tweeners comes back to haunt us.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#80 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:35 pm

Why couldn't we trade Jamison, two first round picks and nick young for Pau Gasol? That deal is 10X better than what Memphis got from LA.

Would have solved most of our problems while keeping a solid bench of Daniels, Mason and Blatche.

Return to Washington Wizards