Long Term Plan? (merged threads)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 559

Re: Long Term Plan? 

Post#61 » by daSwami » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Dat2U wrote:
AD & Etan should stay, just because they'll expire soon.

morbid thought, but probably true.
:banghead:
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#62 » by BanndNDC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:44 pm

so now what?

i think the two biggest needs (roster wise) are smarter players who love the game. there are too many players of suspect intelligence (young, stevenson, pecherov) and too many players who play ball because of their height and not for a love of the game (blatche, thomas).

basketball wise we need an inside presence. the only way to get a legitimate one with our cap situation is to tank and pray for girffen. our second need is a backup point guard.

what to do with the bench? our vets are old and have lost a step. but do we keep daniels/thomas and let them expire (after next season) or can we get rid of them.

what do we do with Jamison?

much will be determined by the next coach but now is the time to act on the big picture roster stuff. EG has to do something, his job is on the line.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#63 » by magnumt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:53 pm

IF you can flip Thomas (or whatever good contracts you had)+your high Draft pick to say a Team like the Bobcats for EO+Felton, would you, or for Wallace+Felton? You'd be allowed to move all of your guys up one level and go with a dynamic, defensive, and BIG Team:

PG: Arenas
SG: Butler
SF: Wallace (or Jamison, if EO)
PF: EO (if Wallace, then Jamison)
C: Magee

Bench: Young, Stevenson, etc.

You can then try and move Haywood to a team looking for a Defensive Big depth (like Toronto, Spurs or Warriors), and try to get some depth elsewhere while offsetting the Salary acquired in the aforementioned trade.
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,907

Post#64 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:52 pm

magnumt wrote:IF you can flip Thomas (or whatever good contracts you had)+your high Draft pick to say a Team like the Bobcats for EO+Felton, would you, or for Wallace+Felton? You'd be allowed to move all of your guys up one level and go with a dynamic, defensive, and BIG Team:

You can then try and move Haywood to a team looking for a Defensive Big depth (like Toronto, Spurs or Warriors), and try to get some depth elsewhere while offsetting the Salary acquired in the aforementioned trade.

Interesting idea on the Wallace/Okafor trade. I've been trying to give them Jamison, but they probably would prefer a high pick and an expiring contract.

The Wizards won't be looking to trade away Haywood though. He is clearly a centerpiece for this team given how badly their defense has fared without him. If one of Blatche, McGee or Haywood must go, Blatche would be the one traded.

Hmmm. If we could trade Etan + 2009 lotto pick for Okafor, and then trade Jamison for Battier, we'd have a pretty impressive, youngish squad next year:

PG Arenas/Daniels
SG Young/Battier
SF Butler/Battier
PF Okafor/Blatche
C Haywood/McGee
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#65 » by magnumt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
magnumt wrote:IF you can flip Thomas (or whatever good contracts you had)+your high Draft pick to say a Team like the Bobcats for EO+Felton, would you, or for Wallace+Felton? You'd be allowed to move all of your guys up one level and go with a dynamic, defensive, and BIG Team:

Interesting idea on the Wallace/Okafor trade. I've been trying to give them Jamison, but they probably would prefer a high pick and an expiring contract.

The Wizards won't be looking to trade away Haywood though. He is clearly a centerpiece for this team given how badly their defense has fared without him. If one of Blatche, McGee or Haywood must go, Blatche would be the one traded.

Hmmm. If we could trade Etan + 2009 lotto pick for Okafor, and then trade Jamison for Battier, we'd have a pretty impressive, youngish squad next year:

PG Arenas/Daniels
SG Young/Battier
SF Butler/Battier
PF Okafor/Blatche
C Haywood/McGee

Thanks. Jordan's dumb when it comes to GMing duties, but you're right I doubt he takes Jamison afetr he signed that new deal. You can probably have an easier time moving Etan+Pick for EO or GW, since they are looking to move either of those guys for some kind of push or relief to their salaries.

That's perfectly fine if you guys keep Haywood. He'd look great alongside EO, or even GW. You'd DEFINITELY have the best Defensive Frontcourt in the West, and one of the best in the League. I don't think Houston would take Jamison though, I think they're probably looking for another SG themselves or Center help.
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 786

Post#66 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:17 pm

nate33 wrote:

PG Arenas/Daniels
SG Young/Battier
SF Butler/Battier
PF Okafor/Blatche
C Haywood/McGee

I'm intrigued as well, nate. My only concern is that if the Bobcats go for a salary dump, they'll want it to be more than just Okafor or Wallace since those guys aren't slouches. Dead weight like Carroll would also likely have to be part of the package. Are we willing to make that type of commitment from a cap perspective?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,853

Post#67 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:29 pm

I think you looked to build to 2010 like half the league is doing.

Keep Daniels and Etan if that's the case.

Trade Songaila and Stevenson, and add in a first round pick if necessary to get an expiring contract next year.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#68 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I think you looked to build to 2010 like half the league is doing.

Keep Daniels and Etan if that's the case.

Trade Songaila and Stevenson, and add in a first round pick if necessary to get an expiring contract next year.

The only way to get meaningful cap space in 2010 is dump both Jamison and Songaila, and to let Haywood walk. And even then, we'd still be competing with the likes of New York, New Jersey, Miami and a bunch of other teams for free agents.

I don't think free agency is the way to go. If anything, we should do what fishercob has advocated, and that's to utilize our 2010 expirings to facilitate others in the 2010 free agent market.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,853

Post#69 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:56 pm

So you trade players so that other teams can get cap room in 2010 so that they can improve their teams while we don't? It's just like this past offseason then. Everyone else makes moves except us.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#70 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Rafael122 wrote:So you trade players so that other teams can get cap room in 2010 so that they can improve their teams while we don't? It's just like this past offseason then. Everyone else makes moves except us.

No. We make trades that improve the team. Let others use free agency to improve the team. As I just clearly pointed out, free agency isn't really an option unless we dump a whole lot of players. We're better off looking for talent in a Jamison trade rather than cap room. And we're better off looking to trade Etan and Daniels for a decent player with a longer contract.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,524

Post#71 » by mhd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:So you trade players so that other teams can get cap room in 2010 so that they can improve their teams while we don't? It's just like this past offseason then. Everyone else makes moves except us.

No. We make trades that improve the team. Let others use free agency to improve the team. As I just clearly pointed out, free agency isn't really an option unless we dump a whole lot of players. We're better off looking for talent in a Jamison trade rather than cap room. And we're better off looking to trade Etan and Daniels for a decent player with a longer contract.

Draft Day is the day Nate. Minny got Mike Miller for free basically last year.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#72 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 pm

mhd wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Draft Day is the day Nate. Minny got Mike Miller for free basically last year.

I think there's an urgency to push a Jamison trade now because he has played so well under EJ's system and I don't want his numbers to suffer under a new system. Also, it's better to trade him this year when his cap number is just $9.9M instead of $11.6M.

But our other assets (Etan's and Daniels' expirings, the picks) will look just as enticing this summer as they do now. We can afford to be patient with them.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#73 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 pm

^ Yep, Etan+AD+lotto pick will look really good on draft day. If we can move Jamison now, we'll still be positioned nicely for moves next summer. But nate's right - there will NEVER be a better time to trade Jamison than right now.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#74 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 am

With a new coach I think a new long term plan should be in order.

1.Play the right lineup.
2.Try to make the playoffs this season.
3.Let Jamison continue to play hard and lead this team, but at his new position, SF.

Tapscott said rebounding would be the key. The right lineup will rebound and defend the best. Here is the right lineup:

PG Dee Brown, SG Caron Butler, SF Antawn Jamison, PF Andray Blatche, C Javale McGee

Let Young, McGuire, and Pecherov get the bulk of the bench minutes. Make the keys to the rest of the season be getting Blatche and McGee accustomed to playing together and getting Young at least 30 minutes each game. I'm convinced that Blatche and McGee will be very effective together and that Caron CAN play SG and Antawn CAN play SF. Dee Brown grabs the long rebounds, steals the ball, runs the court and doesn't turn it over much. Put him with bigs that can dunk and rebound his bricks, and with the big two.

Trade the rest of the guys like Stevenson, Daniels,Thomas for better veterans.

Later this season, Gil replaces Dee and Brendan replaces Andray, and the Wizards are set.

My long term plan would make this team try to win 35 games and at least get close to playoff contention.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#75 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:With a new coach I think a new long term plan should be in order.

1.Play the right lineup.
3.Let Jamison continue to play hard and lead this team, but at his new position, SF.

Tapscott said rebounding would be the key. The right lineup will rebound and defend the best. Here is the right lineup:

PG Dee Brown, SG Caron Butler, SF Antawn Jamison, PF Andray Blatche, C Javale McGee

Let Young, McGuire, and Pecherov get the bulk of the bench minutes. Make the keys to the rest of the season be getting Blatche and McGee accustomed to playing together and getting Young at least 30 minutes each game. I'm convinced that Blatche and McGee will be very effective together and that Caron CAN play SG and Antawn CAN play SF. Dee Brown grabs the long rebounds, steals the ball, runs the court and doesn't turn it over much. Put him with bigs that can dunk and rebound his bricks, and with the big two.

Later this season, Gil replaces Dee and Brendan replaces Andray, and the Wizards are set.

My long term plan would make this team try to win 35 games and at least get close to playoff contention.

I agree, CCJ. I think Tapscott has to try Butler for extended stretches at guard -- if for no other reason that to see that it's something he can't do. If he can, then all of us a sudden, we just got a lot bigger, longer and better rebounding.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#76 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:With a new coach I think a new long term plan should be in order.

1.Play the right lineup.

Some of that sounds good, but none of the 3 items at top is going to happen.

I don't get your last sentence. How would it help in the long term to win 35 games this season? The best way to help the long term is to acquire a great young player to build around. The easiest way to acquire that player is to get a top 1-3 pick. Obviously, there are exceptions- that we don't need to go into - as they are... exceptions. Getting mid 1st round picks helped keep the Bullets mired in mediocrity for many years.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 389

Post#77 » by Benjammin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:38 pm

I don't get this idea that we're going to make a playoff run either. I know Ernie has to at least say that, but if he truly believes that then he has seriously deluded himself. The Wizards are 1-10. It may well take 41 wins this year to get the 8th spot. That would take a 40-31 finish, or a .563 pace. Even if Gil came back tomorrow they would not achieve that without Haywood.

I don't mind seeing what Butler can do at the 2 spot. He's improved his range, he would need to improve his handle even more. Whatever height he is listed at, he is undersized at the 3. He fights pretty hard and is a good rebounder for his size, but he is at a disadvantage guarding many 3s.

Jamison is poor defensively at the 3 or 4 so it really doesn't matter where we play him, you can't hide him.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#78 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:07 pm

When Jamison becomes a SF he suddenly becomes a very good rebounder and a post up threat. He's not undersized at SF.

His offense, even slightly less effective because he won't out-quick SFs becomes more efficient because more of his flips and floaters will come from right around the basket and he'll shoot more FTs. Jamison will be fine at SF. Just review what he did at Dallas and at Golden State.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#79 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:When Jamison becomes a SF he suddenly becomes a very good rebounder and a post up threat. He's not undersized at SF.

His offense, even slightly less effective because he won't out-quick SFs becomes more efficient because more of his flips and floaters will come from right around the basket and he'll shoot more FTs. Jamison will be fine at SF. Just review what he did at Dallas and at Golden State.

I completely agree that Jamison's future is at SF, although I don't like Butler as a full time SG.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#80 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:When Jamison becomes a SF he suddenly becomes a very good rebounder and a post up threat. He's not undersized at SF.

I completely agree that Jamison's future is at SF, although I don't like Butler as a full time SG.

LOL at the thought of jamison contesting a shot on the perimeter....oh wait..roflmao at Jamison switching and trying to stop dribble penetration from a shooting guard on a coordinated switch.....tears of laughter and hopelessness at paying jamison to be a long term starter hehehe. That's like adopting cub because it looks so adorable as a baby...only when you start to see the cub grow do realize that either it has to let go..or you have to buy and redesign a completely new house. And now wiz posters realize that an entire house has to be built just to shelter jamison lol!
and soon the some of the same limitation for caron butler will be shown...a guy who can't guard sgs...although he is not as unathletic as jamison...but his knee injury is starting to turn him into a jamison clone only at the sf position. He has the dimensions of a sg but not athletic enough to play sg so we hide him at s/f. Lakers competent gm knew this which is why he was so quick to give up bulter instead of odom.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce

Return to Washington Wizards