ImageImageImageImageImage

Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Re: Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach! 

Post#641 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 pm

TGW wrote:Lol so the flunky really needed a bunch of people who weren’t a part of the organization to tell him how dysfunctional and easy to defend this team is?

Shepherd is a goofball.

Eh, I mean, it's not the GMs job to micromanage day to day operations and if he's handcuffed to address coaching because of budgetary concerns by ownership I wouldn't expect him to rock the boat.

The puzzling thing to me about the whole ordeal is that fact that Wizards were rumored to seek an extension, and the fact that they couldn't come to an agreement simply screams we didn't care to pay Brooks what he was looking for.

I question Sheppards autonomy more so than his decision making, because if you look at his body of work there really isn't much to take issue with.

The Ish Smith money certainly wasn't money well spent and the focus on a backup big as the offseason priority heading into 2020/21 was questionable at best, but through all of that there is a significant number of moves that are worthy of praise.

That 2022 2nd rounder acquired in the Satoransky sign and trade is looking juicy, and being able to parlay Brown's contract into Gafford and filler is looking like a major win right now.

Even the Westbrook deal is looking like a stroke of genius in hindsight.

Was it ruthless and counter to the message he was trying to sell prior to the trade, sure, but did the Wizards get the better end of that deal?

That should be an unequivocal yes from anybody that has followed this team regularly.

Sheppard is a Wizards lifer and while he's not a basketball person in the traditional sense, he seems to be good at building relationships and leveraging them to his (the organizations) benefit.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Re: Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach! 

Post#642 » by WallToWall » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:25 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
badinage wrote:Interesting interview piece. Turns out 106.7 The Fan, which isn't all that smart and insightful, has a website. This piece actually got Sheppard talking in a beyond-PR way.

In it, Tommy Shepp talks about what he learned from the 26 interviews he conducted -- which amounted to a free audit of the team.

The highlight for me ........

"Offensively, everybody really spoke to our efficiency equation and our lack of efficiency," Sheppard said. "We were number one in the league in pace, which is a great thing, but if our shot quality is bad and we don't necessarily get quality three-point shots up a game, you know, you're starting a game off down six-zip, sometimes nine-zip.

"And that was something I think that a lot more... when you're talking to assistant coaches particularly, who are charged during the season of really implementing an offensive package, a defensive package for their own teams. You know, the NBA has kind of gone the way of the NFL with coordinators. These guys were real familiar with how to, when we played them, 'Hey, this is how we're gonna beat the Wizards. This is what we need to do.'"

"And the theme was pretty common," he continued, "just make sure you get them early looks in the shot clock, they'll take bad shots; they don't get back to transition D; and if we keep at it, they are a team that will not necessarily front-run, but if you stay in it, towards the end of the game you should be in good shape."

"And that hurt me personally, because you think, well, we should be better than that, and that's kind of where we are moving forward," Sheppard said. "That's why we landed at it's time to hire a new staff and get a different outlook for the Wizards."

Confirming that the entire previous coaching staff under Brooks was let go, Sheppard added, "Yes, right now that is the case. There will be some people that may have some opportunities to interview with the new coach, but I think starting out with a clean slate is a good opportunity for everybody."

"We did 18 formal interviews. I did another eight over the phone just one-on-one with people that weren't really excited about getting their name out there, but definitely were interested in the job," Sheppard said detailing the process that led them to Wes Unseld Jr. "We had a ton of interest, and we really went about it pretty thoroughly, pretty thoughtfully, and where we arrived was at a fantastic young head coach that's just been putting in the time, doing everything he could possibly do."

LOL

Tommy getting a big dose of reality from all these coaches talking about how dumb the Wizards are.

:lol:

We’ll. I am glad he’s finally waking up and smelling the coffee. And he was pretty thorough.

Of course he could have gotten the exact same feedback reading Real GM.

Tommy is a smart guy (I'd like to believe that, at least). I think he already knew all this. I think this was more of a jab at the former head coach... basically saying, see how predictable you are, see how easy it is to figure out the team...
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#643 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:19 am

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
You talked more about the defensive side of the ball (at your introductory news conference). Free agency and the draft are coming up, and obviously, there will be changes to the roster, but what do you feel like schematically, you can implement to help the defense?

Well, I think your best defense starts at the end of your offense. So, the quality possessions, trying to take away some of the no-pass or one-pass possessions. And we talked about it. Great players are gonna (save) tough situations late in the clock, but trying to limit those one-on-one situations in the meat of the possession, where you’ve got nine guys locked in on you spatially — how does that work in your favor?

So, I think those are nuanced things, but they’re important. We always talk about it: possessions that start poorly usually end poorly, so how can we collectively be more efficient in what we’re trying to do?

I was told that the way you coached in Denver was, you would have conversations with players and ask, for example, ‘OK, Jokic. Are you more comfortable playing in a drop (pick-and-roll coverage)? Are you more comfortable coming up to the level of the screen?’ And you would try to mend schemes so that you could maximize players’ comfort levels as much as possible.

How do you establish consistent principles while being able to account for the fact that you might have one guy who likes defending the back end of a pick-and-roll one way and a player at the front end who likes guarding it another way?

I don’t think it detracts from as far as, what are your core principles? I think defensively, it’s: what are your definitive rules in certain situations?

You gotta remember, that group (in Denver) was together for the better part of six years. So, it evolves to where everyone knows the basics. Everyone has a true feel for our base defense. So now, it allows us the latitude to tweak things. And whether it’s one or two specific actions on one particular play vs. a special opponent — how can we take this guy out of this action? So, it’s not just that we’re all over the map and we’re just gonna make it up as we go.

We’re gonna play to our base. This is what we do. And that also doesn’t mean we’re hesitant to change if what we’re trying to do doesn’t work.

I always encourage players, make sure you ask yourself two questions: Are we doing what’s right and are we doing it with effort? If we can check those two boxes and we say, yeah, and it still won’t work, then now we have to adjust. With those adjustments, I think it’s also important those things are something we work on. It can’t just be flying by the seat of your pants, because now I think you’re gonna be all over the place.

So, it’s gonna take time to get to that point. I think it’s important early to establish basic rules: This is what we do. This is how we do it. This is what we call it. (Establish) the simplicity of it. You add that component with the daily exercise, where now it’s muscle memory. We’re not thinking. We’re not overreacting. We’re just reading and reacting accordingly. Once you do that, then I think you can build on those other dynamics.

While in Denver, Wes Unseld Jr. worked with 2020-21 NBA MVP Nikola Jokic. (Garrett Ellwood / NBAE via Getty Images)

The Wizards were in the top half of the league in points allowed per possession after Feb. 1, but obviously, there were schematic flaws and execution flaws, and the [url='https://theathletic.com/team/sixers/']76ers[/url] exposed a lot of them in the playoffs.

Every year, there’s fool’s gold after the All-Star break. You look at some teams that got way better (and it doesn’t carry over to the next season). How much of what occurred over that span do you consider fool’s gold? Do you consider it an improvement or do you feel like there need to be adjustments made?

I think you always have to re-evaluate and see where you can find small gains. Is it the pick-and-roll defense, the post defense, your one-on-one containment? If you can find those small nuances, I think collectively, you’ll get larger gains.

I do think in this case, there was just the ‘want factor.’ I felt like, just watching it, there was more care. There was more desire to do what they were supposed to do. The question is, where was that the rest of the season? And some of it can be, you got young guys out there with no practice time, very few reps, didn’t have an opportunity to be on the floor and experience that. (Note: The Wizards, like most NBA teams, rarely ever practiced during the shortened season.) Now, you’re asking them to do it at a high level in a game.

So, injuries, COVID-19, all those things are reasons, and I pride myself — and this is a thing we were big on in Denver. Coach Malone would say, ‘We’re a no-excuse team.’ So, no, those aren’t excuses; those are reasons, and there’s a difference because we’re not gonna hang our hat on that and say the what-ifs, should-haves, but this is why. Understand the why and try to find a way to fix it.

I heard that you impressed them in your interviews specifically pitching ways to use Beal coming off of traps and that kinda stuff. Could you discuss that?

Sure, and I’ve had conversations with Brad. It’s just giving him two or three things or ways I felt could help his overall efficiency. He struggled off the dribble in those pull-up 3 situations, those iso situations. Sure, it’s a shot he can make, but we don’t wanna live and die with those.

I think he’s gonna bail us out many times. But how do we make things easier for him? Because we all know, when you prepare for a guy like Bradley, teams are gonna be aggressive, because the key is to take away his air space, give him no daylight. A lot of times, he’s gonna see two, sometimes three bodies. So, getting him off the ball to get it back, putting him in multiple actions to kinda loosen up defenders I think is gonna be helpful for him.

How do analytics play into your coaching?

It’s a huge component. It’s a useful tool, but I think with that tool, it has to pass the eye test. And I say that because it works both ways. There are times that things pop up with the analytics that we just don’t see or what you see doesn’t match up. So, that’s where you have to challenge yourself to continue to educate yourself on what these metrics mean and how can we find the nuances within those tools to help us gain traction?

Westbrook is obviously a lightning rod and just a complete ball of energy. How do you see is the best way to use him?

Well, I mean, he’s already had a Hall of Fame career. I think, once again, I’m not gonna put guys in a box and say we have to play just this type of way. For me, it’s just finding a way to tailor things to augment guys’ strengths and try to minimize some of their deficiencies. And he’s aware.

I think his competitive spirit is what drives this group. I think sometimes perception becomes reality from the outside looking in, where he could be problematic. That’s not who he is. You can tell when you talk to the guy. There’s so much more depth and personality. There’s a will to win and I think he’s gonna fight and compete every night. We need that. So, I think it’s a little misleading sometimes when you hear that narrative because that’s not the guy I talked to. He’s a nightmare to prepare for, so I’m certainly happy he’s on my side now.

What can you take away from your preparation of going up against Westbrook and Beal? And what will you try to implement with them?

I think it goes back to my previous point. You’re trying to find ways to take the pressure off because they’re gonna command a lot of attention and that’s a credit to who they are as players, who they are as people. They put themselves in a situation where they’re both dynamic offensive weapons. So, trusting their teammates a little bit, it’s not only on the defensive end. I’m gonna ask them to do a little bit more on offense from time to time. And I think when you trust everyone else around you, that’s gonna take a lot of pressure off you later in the game. Now, once again, you’re playing against single coverage, which we all know is very difficult to do with both of those two.

What’s your process for filling the coaching staff?

Well, that process is ever-evolving, but it’s already begun.

I was blessed to be in a situation where I was in the running for two jobs. One, I obviously didn’t get in Orlando. But you have to have those conversations and it’s a little awkward because you’re having a conversation about a job you don’t even have yet, but that’s the nature of it. So, you wanna stay ahead of it and make sure to reach out to people not only that you know, but do some background on maybe some that you don’t. Also, get a feel for people, understand their philosophies, get a sense of their personality, their workflow, because we want to try to put together the best staff possible. (Wizards GM) Tommy (Sheppard) and I are gonna work on that collaboratively, and I think in the end we’re gonna be very happy with the results.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,168

Post#644 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:40 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
You talked more about the defensive side of the ball (at your introductory news conference). Free agency and the draft are coming up, and obviously, there will be changes to the roster, but what do you feel like schematically, you can implement to help the defense?

Well, I think your best defense starts at the end of your offense. So, the quality possessions, trying to take away some of the no-pass or one-pass possessions. And we talked about it. Great players are gonna (save) tough situations late in the clock, but trying to limit those one-on-one situations in the meat of the possession, where you’ve got nine guys locked in on you spatially — how does that work in your favor?

So, I think those are nuanced things, but they’re important. We always talk about it: possessions that start poorly usually end poorly, so how can we collectively be more efficient in what we’re trying to do?

I was told that the way you coached in Denver was, you would have conversations with players and ask, for example, ‘OK, Jokic. Are you more comfortable playing in a drop (pick-and-roll coverage)? Are you more comfortable coming up to the level of the screen?’ And you would try to mend schemes so that you could maximize players’ comfort levels as much as possible.

How do you establish consistent principles while being able to account for the fact that you might have one guy who likes defending the back end of a pick-and-roll one way and a player at the front end who likes guarding it another way?

I don’t think it detracts from as far as, what are your core principles? I think defensively, it’s: what are your definitive rules in certain situations?

You gotta remember, that group (in Denver) was together for the better part of six years. So, it evolves to where everyone knows the basics. Everyone has a true feel for our base defense. So now, it allows us the latitude to tweak things. And whether it’s one or two specific actions on one particular play vs. a special opponent — how can we take this guy out of this action? So, it’s not just that we’re all over the map and we’re just gonna make it up as we go.

We’re gonna play to our base. This is what we do. And that also doesn’t mean we’re hesitant to change if what we’re trying to do doesn’t work.

I always encourage players, make sure you ask yourself two questions: Are we doing what’s right and are we doing it with effort? If we can check those two boxes and we say, yeah, and it still won’t work, then now we have to adjust. With those adjustments, I think it’s also important those things are something we work on. It can’t just be flying by the seat of your pants, because now I think you’re gonna be all over the place.

So, it’s gonna take time to get to that point. I think it’s important early to establish basic rules: This is what we do. This is how we do it. This is what we call it. (Establish) the simplicity of it. You add that component with the daily exercise, where now it’s muscle memory. We’re not thinking. We’re not overreacting. We’re just reading and reacting accordingly. Once you do that, then I think you can build on those other dynamics.

While in Denver, Wes Unseld Jr. worked with 2020-21 NBA MVP Nikola Jokic. (Garrett Ellwood / NBAE via Getty Images)

The Wizards were in the top half of the league in points allowed per possession after Feb. 1, but obviously, there were schematic flaws and execution flaws, and the [url='https://theathletic.com/team/sixers/']76ers[/url] exposed a lot of them in the playoffs.

Every year, there’s fool’s gold after the All-Star break. You look at some teams that got way better (and it doesn’t carry over to the next season). How much of what occurred over that span do you consider fool’s gold? Do you consider it an improvement or do you feel like there need to be adjustments made?

I think you always have to re-evaluate and see where you can find small gains. Is it the pick-and-roll defense, the post defense, your one-on-one containment? If you can find those small nuances, I think collectively, you’ll get larger gains.

I do think in this case, there was just the ‘want factor.’ I felt like, just watching it, there was more care. There was more desire to do what they were supposed to do. The question is, where was that the rest of the season? And some of it can be, you got young guys out there with no practice time, very few reps, didn’t have an opportunity to be on the floor and experience that. (Note: The Wizards, like most NBA teams, rarely ever practiced during the shortened season.) Now, you’re asking them to do it at a high level in a game.

So, injuries, COVID-19, all those things are reasons, and I pride myself — and this is a thing we were big on in Denver. Coach Malone would say, ‘We’re a no-excuse team.’ So, no, those aren’t excuses; those are reasons, and there’s a difference because we’re not gonna hang our hat on that and say the what-ifs, should-haves, but this is why. Understand the why and try to find a way to fix it.

I heard that you impressed them in your interviews specifically pitching ways to use Beal coming off of traps and that kinda stuff. Could you discuss that?

Sure, and I’ve had conversations with Brad. It’s just giving him two or three things or ways I felt could help his overall efficiency. He struggled off the dribble in those pull-up 3 situations, those iso situations. Sure, it’s a shot he can make, but we don’t wanna live and die with those.

I think he’s gonna bail us out many times. But how do we make things easier for him? Because we all know, when you prepare for a guy like Bradley, teams are gonna be aggressive, because the key is to take away his air space, give him no daylight. A lot of times, he’s gonna see two, sometimes three bodies. So, getting him off the ball to get it back, putting him in multiple actions to kinda loosen up defenders I think is gonna be helpful for him.

How do analytics play into your coaching?

It’s a huge component. It’s a useful tool, but I think with that tool, it has to pass the eye test. And I say that because it works both ways. There are times that things pop up with the analytics that we just don’t see or what you see doesn’t match up. So, that’s where you have to challenge yourself to continue to educate yourself on what these metrics mean and how can we find the nuances within those tools to help us gain traction?

Westbrook is obviously a lightning rod and just a complete ball of energy. How do you see is the best way to use him?

Well, I mean, he’s already had a Hall of Fame career. I think, once again, I’m not gonna put guys in a box and say we have to play just this type of way. For me, it’s just finding a way to tailor things to augment guys’ strengths and try to minimize some of their deficiencies. And he’s aware.

I think his competitive spirit is what drives this group. I think sometimes perception becomes reality from the outside looking in, where he could be problematic. That’s not who he is. You can tell when you talk to the guy. There’s so much more depth and personality. There’s a will to win and I think he’s gonna fight and compete every night. We need that. So, I think it’s a little misleading sometimes when you hear that narrative because that’s not the guy I talked to. He’s a nightmare to prepare for, so I’m certainly happy he’s on my side now.

What can you take away from your preparation of going up against Westbrook and Beal? And what will you try to implement with them?

I think it goes back to my previous point. You’re trying to find ways to take the pressure off because they’re gonna command a lot of attention and that’s a credit to who they are as players, who they are as people. They put themselves in a situation where they’re both dynamic offensive weapons. So, trusting their teammates a little bit, it’s not only on the defensive end. I’m gonna ask them to do a little bit more on offense from time to time. And I think when you trust everyone else around you, that’s gonna take a lot of pressure off you later in the game. Now, once again, you’re playing against single coverage, which we all know is very difficult to do with both of those two.

What’s your process for filling the coaching staff?

Well, that process is ever-evolving, but it’s already begun.

I was blessed to be in a situation where I was in the running for two jobs. One, I obviously didn’t get in Orlando. But you have to have those conversations and it’s a little awkward because you’re having a conversation about a job you don’t even have yet, but that’s the nature of it. So, you wanna stay ahead of it and make sure to reach out to people not only that you know, but do some background on maybe some that you don’t. Also, get a feel for people, understand their philosophies, get a sense of their personality, their workflow, because we want to try to put together the best staff possible. (Wizards GM) Tommy (Sheppard) and I are gonna work on that collaboratively, and I think in the end we’re gonna be very happy with the results.

I’m really liking what I’m hearing from Wes Unseld Jr. Just some thoughtful responses that pass the smell test, not the canned stuff we’ve come accustomed to. Hoping it translates to results.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#645 » by Illuminaire » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Dude sounds both incredibly smart and down to earth at the same time. Color me impressed.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Post#646 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Dude sounds both incredibly smart and down to earth at the same time. Color me impressed.

Me too.

Can't help but be curious how he's responding to all the psychodrama that's popped up suddenly. :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#647 » by likwitdesi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:27 pm

Some of the other reporting around the Brooks extension talks is being ignored. Th FO also wanted an overhaul of the assistant coaching staff. This set of assistant coaches was weak and, because it was so weak, it was likely a reason Brooks wasn't let go after sucking the first half of the season.

Brooks armed with great offensive and defensive coordinators could have been solid. Let Brooks handle the relationships and the other guys handle the X's and O's
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#648 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Frichuela wrote:The cat is out of the bag fast...and the pitchforks are out...Monumental spoke people already referring to Brooks tendency to avoid focusing on the ENTIRE roster...

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This is why I like the hire. Wes is a defensive minded coach and seems good at building a bond with his players. The young guys will flourish under him. The question is if Westbrook and Beal will adapt.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,216

Post#649 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Hell to the no.

They’ll try.

They are what they are.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#650 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm

likwitdesi
Starter

Post#651 » by likwitdesi » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:48 pm

We've only heard about one assistant so far. Are there any other updates on assistants he is thinking of adding? Jay Larranaga would seem to be one of many awesome assistants currently on the market
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,216

Post#652 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:05 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

In 1973 my father took me to see my first and one of the few NBA games I’ve ever seen live. Big Wes was playing. A year or two after that the bullets went to the NBA finals and got swept by Golden State with Rick Barry, Clifford Ray, Jamaal (then Keith) Wilkes. George Johnson (imagine Jared Allen) erased shots. Lastly, IIRC future Bullet Charles Johnson, CJ, was also on the underdog GS team.

In 1984/85 I lived in my GFs dorm room. Wes Sr was now head coach. I saw him many times on campus at Bowie State. Charles Davis I recall seeing a lot . Other memories have faded of the training camp. I was getting my education and working when I wasn’t kicking it with my sweet thing. Best years of my life!

Any way, COACH UNSELD JR was how old in 1985? I guess he was about 10 years old maybe.

(I know I am on a rant but I do remember around 78 or 79 Gregg Ballard and his wife and kids came over our house because they knew my mom from church. Around that same time so did Dr. Granger browning who was the head pastor at Ebeneezer AME Church. He and his wife had a really young kids back then. That church was super small and we were some of the original members. Yeah my mom was a really good cook. She was quite the hostess.)
Bye bye Beal.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Post#653 » by WallToWall » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:17 pm

Any new word on assistant coaches?
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,675

Post#654 » by 80sballboy » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#655 » by likwitdesi » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:30 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This is the downside of hiring Wes this late. A bunch of good assistants already got snatched up.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#656 » by keynote » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:55 pm

Internal promotion on the player development side.

Read on Twitter
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards