ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: 2020 Draft 

Post#661 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 1, 2020 6:29 am

The more I look at this draft, the closer I'm coming to the conclusion that Okongwu is the player we must come away with. Our defense is so incredibly bad... And no he is not a cure all, but he would certainly be a step in the right direction. He really is an ideal fit for this team. And I think we are an ideal fit for him. I would say a trade up is in order if necessary. I'm not sure what would be needed, at this point I'll have to be patient and see how the draft slotting shakes out, and see if we can't just get him straight with our pick.

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#662 » by Shoe » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:19 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

Ok Okongwu might be the #1 guy for us. He can go over left or right shoulder, finish with left or right hand. He'd slot perfectly in with Rui in the front court. Wiseman may just be the consolation prize.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#663 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:43 pm

Shoe wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

Ok Okongwu might be the #1 guy for us. He can go over left or right shoulder, finish with left or right hand. He'd slot perfectly in with Rui in the front court. Wiseman may just be the consolation prize.

If Wiseman doesn't go 1 I'll be pretty shocked.

But as far as Okongwu, I could see him dropping to us. Wiseman, Edwards, Ball, Toppin, Avdija, Okoro, Hayes, Anthony could all go ahead of him. Not every team has the same need as us.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#664 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 1, 2020 6:55 pm

I thought Zards' comment would be best discussed here:
DCZards wrote:...many experts are saying that the 8th or 9th draft pick in next year's draft probably won't yield a much better player than a pick a little later in the draft.

This year, next year's any year's. Here are 11 drafts

Year: #9 pick <> #15 pick (list of players taken later than either of them who are better than at least 1 & often both of them)

2008: D.J. Augustin <> Robin Lopez (Ryan Anderson, Kosta Koufos, Nic Batum, Serge Ibaka, DeAndre Jordan, & a couple others)
2009: DeMar DeRozan <> Austin Daye (Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Jeff Teague, Darren Collison, Taj Gibson, Demarre Carroll, Jonas Jerebko, Patrick Beverly, Danny Green, Patty Mills, & a few others)
2010: Gordon Hayward <> Larry Sanders (Eric Bledsoe, Quincy Pondexter, & a dozen other guys better than Sanders -- not to mention Paul George better than Hayward)
2011: Kemba Walker <> Kawhi Leonard (no one better than Leonard. Better than Walker = Jimmy Butler & maybe IT)
2012: Andre Drummond <> Maurice Harkless (Tomas Satoransky, Jae Crowder, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Will Barton, Kyle O'Quinn)
2013: Trey Burke <> Giannis Antetekounmpo (better than Burke -- Snell, Dieng, Hill, Hardaway, Gobert, Ennis)
2014: Noah Vonleh <> Adreian Payne (Nurkic, Napier, Capela, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Glenn Robinson, Nikola Jokic, Dwight Powell, Jordan Clarkson, Jordan McRae)
2015: Frank Kaminsky <> Kelly Oubre (Terry Rozier, Delon Wright, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Larry Nance, Kevon Looney, Cedi Osman, Monrezl Harrell, Richaun Holmes, Josh Richardson, Pat Connaughton)
2016: Jakob Poeltl <> Juan Hernangomez (Malik Beasley, Caris Levert, Pascal Siakam, Skal Labissiere, Dejounte Murray, Malcolm Brogdon, Patrick McCaw)
2017: Dennis Smith <> Justin Jackson (John Collins, Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Derrick White, Josh Hart, Thomas Bryant, Jordan Bell, Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris, Edmond Sumner)
2018: Kevin Knox <> Troy Brown, Jr. (DiVincenzo, Kevin Huerter, Chandler Hutchinson, Brunson, Graham, Robinson, Bonga, Diallo, Melton, Bates-Diop & maybe a few others are better than Knox at least).

The 4 best guys taken #9: DeRozan, Hayward, Walker, Drummond.

The 4 best guys taken #15: Lopez, Leonard, Giannis, Oubre

The 2 best players overall -- Leonard & Giannis -- both taken #15

The 35 best players in that whole list? In no particular order: DeRozan, Hayward, Walker, Giannis, Leonard, Butler, Anderson, Batum, Ibaka, Jordan, Holiday, Beverly, Green, Middleton, Gobert, Capela, Jokic, Nance, Drummond, Looney, Harrell, Connaughton, Siakam, Murray, Brogdon, Collins, Allen, Anunoby, White, Bryant, Morris, Brown, Robinson, DiVincenzo, Brunson.

4 of them were only available if you had the #9 pick. The other 31 were all available at #15. In fact, many of them could have been had in pairs by trading down from the #15.

How about the guys taken before #9 but outside the top 3 picks, how many #4-8 picks have been better than guys on that list of 35? Well, Curry ('09), Cousins ('10 -- maybe), Lillard ('12), Porzingis ('15 -- no, but it's easier just to list him than argue), Jarren Jackson ('18 -- & that is only if he develops a whole lot from where he is now).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#665 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 1, 2020 7:11 pm

Great post PIF, very interesting indeed.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,482

Post#666 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:55 pm

gambitx777 wrote:For some in godly reason some people seem to think that because Wiseman played 3 games he's not up there at the top of the draft. Dear lord if 8 GM's pass on him I'll be so happy.

Zero percent chance Wiseman drops after the combine. Especially with him dropping out for the rest of the year to work on drills etc. He's an outlier on size and athleticism. David Robinson is a comparison on the physical measurables.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#667 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:13 pm

Hey Doc -- will you check in on the R2 thread, please? Interested in your take on the last few guys mentioned there....

(If I thought it would get us Wiseman, I'd be willing to lose all the rest of our games!)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#668 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:29 pm

Time to root for Charlotte and Chicago - both 1.5 games behind the Wiz. Phoenix is a game ahead of the Wiz, so also root for them. Or... just have the Wiz get lucky in the lottery.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#669 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:36 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Shoe wrote:Ok Okongwu might be the #1 guy for us. He can go over left or right shoulder, finish with left or right hand. He'd slot perfectly in with Rui in the front court. Wiseman may just be the consolation prize.

But as far as Okongwu, I could see him dropping to us. Wiseman, Edwards, Ball, Toppin, Avdija, Okoro, Hayes, Anthony could all go ahead of him. Not every team has the same need as us.

Then you will like this mock from Bleacher Report, which has him dropping to us at #9: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878780-2020-nba-mock-draft-updated-projections-for-most-coveted-prospects#slide8
payitforward
RealGM

Post#670 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:41 am

This mock draft + extends to cover 75 guys. I found it fascinating above all for pointing me at guys I'd never thought about at all -- Gonzaga's Joel Ayayi, for example, a 19-year old French guard who is putting up extremely nice numbers: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joel-ayayi-1.html.

Lots of other guys as well. The pick rankings are very far from what I've seen projected so far, but it's quite an interesting experience to go through it.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,700

Post#671 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:46 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,700

Post#672 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:51 am

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#673 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is a truly inane tweet! The two guys aren't alike at all, & Collins Sophomore numbers are much much better than Toppin's. Not to mention that Wake Forest played a much tougher schedule than Dayton has this year.

I could be wrong of course, but I wouldn't spend a high pick on Toppin. OTOH, I'd say Tyler Bey is under-rated.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#674 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:47 pm

payitforward wrote:This mock draft + extends to cover 75 guys. I found it fascinating above all for pointing me at guys I'd never thought about at all -- Gonzaga's Joel Ayayi, for example, a 19-year old French guard who is putting up extremely nice numbers: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joel-ayayi-1.html.

Lots of other guys as well. The pick rankings are very far from what I've seen projected so far, but it's quite an interesting experience to go through it.

I forgot to link to the mock draft itself -- https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/03/02/nba-mock-draft-big-board-march-madness-conference-tournaments/
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#675 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:48 pm

payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Shoe wrote:Ok Okongwu might be the #1 guy for us. He can go over left or right shoulder, finish with left or right hand. He'd slot perfectly in with Rui in the front court. Wiseman may just be the consolation prize.

Then you will like this mock from Bleacher Report, which has him dropping to us at #9: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878780-2020-nba-mock-draft-updated-projections-for-most-coveted-prospects#slide8

I do like that! They have Hampton going 4 which is a surprise, but they do explain it. That would be great if he moves up, I was pretty high on him myself earlier. But I'd be surprised if he's taken ahead of Hayes or even Anthony. Halliburton is another who could go surprisingly high. It comes down to team need and personal preference with some of these guys. Plus that has us @9 and as Ruz points out we could still get to 7.

The USA Today one you put also has Okongwu #2, but that seems to be just a player ranking not a mock... Yeah these are great PIF, lots of good info, thanks!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#676 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:58 pm

payitforward wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is a truly inane tweet! The two guys aren't alike at all, & Collins Sophomore numbers are much much better than Toppin's. Not to mention that Wake Forest played a much tougher schedule than Dayton has this year.

I could be wrong of course, but I wouldn't spend a high pick on Toppin. OTOH, I'd say Tyler Bey is under-rated.

They both have reps for being poor defenders. Still, it was odd how draft "experts" didn't rate Collins higher.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#677 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:20 pm

I'll say! Collins put up absolutely amazing per 40 minute numbers as a Sophomore. Up in Brandon Clarke-to-Zion Williamson area.

Here's a separate question:

Tyler Bey is listed on https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyler-bey-1.html as a guard. & on https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/tyler-bey/13063, he's a "guard/forward."

Can this kid play SG in the NBA? Because, if he can, he is going to be a terror!
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#678 » by pcbothwel » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:28 pm

payitforward wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Agreed.
"Sophomore"...LOL. Collins was 19 when he was drafted and Toppin 22... but sure... "Sophomore"
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#679 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:56 pm

Precious Achiuwa is a player I've been curious about as someone who might work his way into the top 10. His measurables are similar to Okongwu. The Draft Room scouting report on him is older and portrays him as a 223 pound SF while the more recent USA Today lists him as a 240 pound "Big". Could be be someone for us to consider if Okongwu is off the board? The combine should answer some questions with him as going from site to site his measurable really vary, as does his age 19-20, which seems high for freshman?

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/precious-achiuwa.html

USA TODAY
Big, 6-foot-9, 19 years old
Achiuwa, who was a top-15 recruit in this freshman class, is averaging 15.3 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. There are flashes of greatness, like when he put up 22 points and 22 rebounds with four blocks in a recent game against Tulane. His defensive rebound percentage (24.3%) ranks second-best in his conference and sixth-best among all freshmen. Meanwhile, his block percentage (6.3%) ranks among the top five in the American Athletic Conference. Back in 2017, he measured with a 6-foot-11 wingspan and 8-foot-11 standing reach. The size is there for him to play a role in the NBA at some point in the near future, more likely in the post than as a forward.I

Bleacher Report
14. Portland Trail Blazers: Precious Achiuwa (Memphis, PF/C, Freshman)

Achiuwa made his strongest statement of the season on Saturday during a 22-point, 22-rebound, five-block effort against Tulane.

Even without a great deal of skill, he continues to impact games by maximizing his 6'9", 225-pound frame, 7'2" wingspan, mobility and motor for rim-runs, finishes, second-chance opportunities and defensive playmaking. Achiuwa's jump shot and decision-making still require significant improvement, but few bigs in the draft have a more impressive physical foundation to build off.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#680 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:10 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Precious Achiuwa is a player I've been curious about as someone who might work his way into the top 10. His measurables are similar to Okongwu. The Draft Room scouting report on him is older and portrays him as a 223 pound SF while the more recent USA Today lists him as a 240 pound "Big". Could be be someone for us to consider if Okongwu is off the board? The combine should answer some questions with him as going from site to site his measurable really vary, as does his age 19-20, which seems high for freshman?

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/precious-achiuwa.html

USA TODAY
Big, 6-foot-9, 19 years old
Achiuwa, who was a top-15 recruit in this freshman class, is averaging 15.3 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. There are flashes of greatness, like when he put up 22 points and 22 rebounds with four blocks in a recent game against Tulane. His defensive rebound percentage (24.3%) ranks second-best in his conference and sixth-best among all freshmen. Meanwhile, his block percentage (6.3%) ranks among the top five in the American Athletic Conference. Back in 2017, he measured with a 6-foot-11 wingspan and 8-foot-11 standing reach. The size is there for him to play a role in the NBA at some point in the near future, more likely in the post than as a forward.I

Bleacher Report
14. Portland Trail Blazers: Precious Achiuwa (Memphis, PF/C, Freshman)

Achiuwa made his strongest statement of the season on Saturday during a 22-point, 22-rebound, five-block effort against Tulane.

Even without a great deal of skill, he continues to impact games by maximizing his 6'9", 225-pound frame, 7'2" wingspan, mobility and motor for rim-runs, finishes, second-chance opportunities and defensive playmaking. Achiuwa's jump shot and decision-making still require significant improvement, but few bigs in the draft have a more impressive physical foundation to build off.

Precious is an explosive athlete - high ceiling but low floor prospect. It's a matter of how much he can improve on his skills. Very strong for a 225 lber - I think he has the frame to add some weight. Needs to cut down on to's.

Return to Washington Wizards