Bradley Beal - Part IV

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Re: Bradley Beal - Part IV 

Post#721 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:44 am

Agree with you both....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
RealGM
And1: 6,309

Post#722 » by AFM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:51 am

Maybe a whole lotta nothing but I can’t say he strikes me as particularly savvy. He has a pretty bad reputation amongst nba fans at this point and it’s partly his own doing.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,748

Post#723 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:51 am

He's just not doing himself any favors.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,055

Post#724 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:02 am

AFM wrote:Maybe a whole lotta nothing but I can’t say he strikes me as particularly savvy. He has a pretty bad reputation amongst nba fans at this point and it’s partly his own doing.

What makes you think BB has "a pretty bad reputation amongst NBA fans"? Do you have any evidence of that?
AFM
RealGM

Post#725 » by AFM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:05 am

DCZards wrote:
AFM wrote:Maybe a whole lotta nothing but I can’t say he strikes me as particularly savvy. He has a pretty bad reputation amongst nba fans at this point and it’s partly his own doing.

What makes you think BB has " a pretty bad reputation amongst NBA fans"? Do you have any evidence of that?

Go check the general board or any article online that allows comments, or literally talk to anyone, ever, about basketball. Sorry I didn't hire a firm to go door to door and conduct a poll

Edited to be nicer -- sorry Zards I had a long day
DCZards
RealGM

Post#726 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:14 am

AFM wrote:
DCZards wrote:

What makes you think BB has " a pretty bad reputation amongst NBA fans"? Do you have any evidence of that?

Go check the general board or any article online that allows comments, or literally talk to anyone, ever, about basketball. Sorry I didn't hire a firm to go door to door and conduct a poll

No need to apologize, AFM. But I'm not buying this stuff about BB's "bad reputation." :)

BTW, I appreciate the levity you bring to this board.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#727 » by keynote » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:38 am

AFM wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Message boards (present company included), Twitter, and comment sections are hardly representative of NBA fandom, let alone casuals. But, that aside, most negative comments about Beal I see fall into three categories: 1) game criticism ("Beal doesn't play D"), 2) contract talk ("he's overpaid"), and 3) trade anticipation ("lulz why doesn't Beal leave?"). Again, we're operating in a cultural environment where Beal and Dame are oddities. There's a subset of category 3 that expects Beal to demand a trade shortly, now that he's landed his bag.

Reputation-wise, those are pretty soft lines of attack. On the balance, I don't think general NBA fans think about Beal too much, other than to discuss when they think he should force a trade.

DC fans in these online spaces, on the other hand, appear to be trending in an anti-Beal trajectory, much in the way fans turned on Juwan after he signed his big contract.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
AFM
RealGM

Post#728 » by AFM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:46 am

keynote wrote:
AFM wrote:
DCZards wrote:What makes you think BB has " a pretty bad reputation amongst NBA fans"? Do you have any evidence of that?

Message boards (present company included), Twitter, and comment sections are hardly representative of NBA fandom, let alone casuals. But, that aside, most negative comments about Beal I see fall into three categories: 1) game criticism ("Beal doesn't play D"), 2) contract talk ("he's overpaid"), and 3) trade anticipation ("lulz why doesn't Beal leave?"). Again, we're operating in a cultural environment where Beal and Dame are oddities. There's a subset of category 3 that expects Beal to demand a trade shortly, now that he's landed his bag.

Reputation-wise, those are pretty soft lines of attack. On the balance, I don't think general NBA fans think about Beal too much, other than to discuss when they think he should force a trade.

DC fans in these online spaces, on the other hand, appear to be trending in an anti-Beal trajectory, much in the way fans turned on Juwan after he signed his big contract.

I'd say I've noticed over the years that he's constantly accused of being an "empty stats guy", "putting up numbers on a bad team", etc especially on the general board. I wouldn't say that's true IMO but 1) no one actually watches the Wizards outside of this fanbase and 2) until the Wizards actually do anything in the playoffs it's hard to argue against that...

And now that he's resigned with us, yes he's definitely taking flack for "not being a winner" "being greedy" etc. I don't agree with that either but again we're talking about other people's perception

I remember when he was snubbed for the All Star game during his 30 pt season, I was surprised to see how many people were calling him overrated, empty stats guy, etc. So yeah, that seems to be his reputation amongst at least a sizable percentage of basketball fans. Playing for the wizards doesn't help.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,880

Post#729 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:51 pm

keynote wrote:+1. Whole lotta nothing. The media autogenerates an article about this for Beal and Dame about every 4-5 months, because the media has decided to treat them as curiosities for accepting large contracts to stay with the same teams in a culture where other players are constantly putting on fat suits and/or pouting their way from lily pad to lily pad. There's absolutely nothing new here. Nothing to the significance of the timing. This article is evergreen.

Agreed. And the so-called controversial quote when he said "I’m patient, but there comes a time where you have to be a little selfish and draw a line in the sand, for sure," is also a nothingburger. It may not have been perfectly phrased, but the notion that he is patient with the franchise but also selfish in his career goal to win a ring isn't concerning at all. He is basically saying, he is happy to stick with the franchise as long as he believes that are moving in the right direction. An 11-year vet with only a few peak years left has earned the right to think that way.

Do people expect him to say that he is happy to be a Wizard for life win or lose? That it doesn't really matter to him if they compete for a championship or not?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,011

Post#730 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,168

Post#731 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:24 pm

nate33 wrote:
keynote wrote:+1. Whole lotta nothing. The media autogenerates an article about this for Beal and Dame about every 4-5 months, because the media has decided to treat them as curiosities for accepting large contracts to stay with the same teams in a culture where other players are constantly putting on fat suits and/or pouting their way from lily pad to lily pad. There's absolutely nothing new here. Nothing to the significance of the timing. This article is evergreen.

Agreed. And the so-called controversial quote when he said "I’m patient, but there comes a time where you have to be a little selfish and draw a line in the sand, for sure," is also a nothingburger. It may not have been perfectly phrased, but the notion that he is patient with the franchise but also selfish in his career goal to win a ring isn't concerning at all. He is basically saying, he is happy to stick with the franchise as long as he believes that are moving in the right direction. An 11-year vet with only a few peak years left has earned the right to think that way.

Do people expect him to say that he is happy to be a Wizard for life win or lose? That it doesn't really matter to him if they compete for a championship or not?

This whole the "media autogenerates an article" is laughable on several accounts. This is a league that has staked it's reputation on autogenerating hype about marquee players, to act as if Beal is suddenly a victim of the same thing that has brought him much notoriety and in turn money because said notoriety is so painfully naïve I blush at having to read it. Beal has agents, managers, family, handlers, etc. that help him make decisions, to act like he is suddenly naïve about what he is saying is a neat way to brush it off.

It is also laughable to write this off as the "media autogenerates an article" because he has a pattern of this behavior, and has in fact gone on podcasts this very same season running his mouth about how he stayed with here because basically no other teams were viable. No one is forcing him to give stupid answers or divulge things that can be kept in-house to sports media that are by-and-large staged productions loaded with soft ball questions.

He made his bed (bag), and wants someone else to sleep in it. He continues this drumbeat of "I like you as long as you cater to my needs because of my legacy" chatter. He then says some nice things, so no harm done according to some.

Earned the right to keep chirping in the media as an 11-year because he has a few peak years left? You're kidding right? What world are we living in? He made a free decision to stay here. Nobody said he couldn't leave, and he refuses to stfu about it. In the sense that he is free to feel that way, couldn't agree more. But to say that we are supposed to sit here and once again fold our hands in our laps and act like there's nothing to see here while he continue to chirp, when the team is about to enter the second half of a season, is were I fundamentally disagree. What is wrong with just saying, "I'm committed to this team," full stop?

The timing of the article, during the All Star break, also screams "look at me, don't forget about me." Don't want viewers to forget about you, play basketball enough and in a way that gets you to the All-Star game. Simple as that, enough of the prima donna bs when you have been rewarded to the max by the team. I hate how the team is run as much as the next, but the team has treated him with nothing but love and catered to him every step of the way, he needs to stop acting like he's been scorned in any sense of the word.

He isn't entitled to anything, earn it!
DCZards
RealGM

Post#732 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:01 pm

^^^Instead of ranting why don’t you tell us exactly what Beal said in the interview that you consider so wrong or offensive.

There are maybe 2 sentences in the entire 800 plus word interview that are even slightly offensive…and it’s a stretch to describe them as such.

What’s offensive is your viewpoint that Beal should “shut up and dribble.”

This is the essence of the article as it relates to BB’s feelings about the Zards. Sounds pretty positive and supportive of the franchise and teammates to me. What’s your problem with it?

Do the Wizards have a team that can compete in the NBA at a high level?

We can compete. Are we going to hoist the Larry [O’Brien NBA Championship Trophy]? We’re making steps to compete, and we’re doing it on a nightly basis. Shepp [Wizards general manager Tommy Sheppard] is making moves to improve the team. So, all I can do is sit back, trust him, trust his process, work with what we are working with. It’s not easy. The grass isn’t always greener. I understand that when you give up, hell, if I go somewhere [else], you’re giving up a lot. So, that factors into a lot of stuff, too. So obviously you try to put yourself in the best situation possible for yourself and your family. We’re trying to build on it. We’re trying to do that here.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#733 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:48 pm

DCZards wrote:^^^Instead of ranting why don’t you tell us exactly what Beal said in the interview that you consider so wrong or offensive.

There are maybe 2 sentences in the entire 800 plus word interview that are even slightly offensive…and it’s a stretch to describe them as such.

What’s offensive is your viewpoint that Beal should “shut up and dribble.”

This is the essence of the article as it relates to BB’s feelings about the Zards. Sounds pretty positive and supportive of the franchise and teammates to me. What’s your problem?

Do the Wizards have a team that can compete in the NBA at a high level?

We can compete. Are we going to hoist the Larry [O’Brien NBA Championship Trophy]? We’re making steps to compete, and we’re doing it on a nightly basis. Shepp [Wizards general manager Tommy Sheppard] is making moves to improve the team. So, all I can do is sit back, trust him, trust his process, work with what we are working with. It’s not easy. The grass isn’t always greener. I understand that when you give up, hell, if I go somewhere [else], you’re giving up a lot. So, that factors into a lot of stuff, too. So obviously you try to put yourself in the best situation possible for yourself and your family. We’re trying to build on it. We’re trying to do that here.

Ah, so now your going to try to make this political and bring Laura Ingraham quotes into the fold, a sign of desperation to defend prima donna Beal.

Can I ask what word count has has anything to do with this? So when you read an article, does the number words stick out the most or are you searching for the most important parts of the article? If someone is quoted as saying something stupid or bad in an article, you don't think to yourself, "Oh but they said all this nice stuff." You probably say, "Oh they really put their foot in their mouth, too bad because they had to say some other nice things and they'll now get overlooked because they said something stupid."

But I'll leave it at than, obviously not going to sway Beal apologist. Keep lapping up Beal's management and PRs team drivel.
AFM
RealGM

Post#734 » by AFM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:54 pm

It’s not about shut up and dribble, it’s more about “don’t put your foot in your mouth so often”. But mostly this has all been blown out of proportion at this point.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#735 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:06 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Ah, so now your going to try to make this political and bring Laura Ingraham quotes into the fold, a sign of desperation to defend prima donna Beal.

Can I ask what word count has has anything to do with this? So when you read an article, does the number words stick out the most or are you searching for the most important parts of the article? If someone is quoted as saying something stupid or bad in an article, you don't think to yourself, "Oh but they said all this nice stuff." You probably say, "Oh they really put their foot in their mouth, too bad because they had to say some other nice things and they'll now get overlooked because they said something stupid."

But I'll leave it at than, obviously not going to sway Beal apologist. Keep lapping up Beal's management and PRs team drivel.

Again...what did Beal say that was so stupid or bad? Where did he put his foot in his mouth? Be specific...please.
AFM
RealGM

Post#736 » by AFM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Looking at his medical history I think he’s putting Wuhan bat feet in his mouth
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#737 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:33 pm

DCZards wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Ah, so now your going to try to make this political and bring Laura Ingraham quotes into the fold, a sign of desperation to defend prima donna Beal.

Again...what did Beal say that was so stupid or bad? Where did he put his foot in his mouth? Be specific...please.

That he's acting like he still needs to be catered to in some capacity with his "lines in the sand... and sometimes you got to be selfish" nonsense.

Hey Beal, you already got to be selfish with a $250M contract (again I don't fault him for that) that has a no trade clause by a team who clearly bid against themselves to retain you, and you still want more? Still gotta be a bit more selfish? Still feel like the team is in a great position to improve given the contract you have? Still feel like the franchise hasn't catered to you enough as if you've won like some great champion or are a hallmark of the postseason?

He wanted to be the big dog, and continues to murmur about having to live up to big dog expectations even though he is handsomely rewarded with the big dog contract. If this was a one off thing we'd never heard from him, maybe you could argue that its not a biggy.

He's under the microscope. Big boy contracts come with big boy expectations, so hell yeah he's going to be held to a higher standard.
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#738 » by dorianwrite » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:15 pm

1. World B. Free 2: Electric Boogaloo?

2. I'm wondering if the "loyalty!" card is Beal's attempt to burnish his image. But if so, then this occasional talk about "patience" and the like is a publicity misstep. You don't look as loyal when you keep half-threatening to have 1 foot out the door.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#739 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:47 pm

AFM wrote:...mostly this has all been blown out of proportion at this point.

I'll say!

I'd be happy to deal Brad if the trade is right -- certainly I'd be pleased w/ the Knicks trade we've just been discussing. But... what Brad has said or done that should be so vexing to people I do not at all understand.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,377

Post#740 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:33 pm

Frichuela wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=eUiASLN-TvBZ6iEy055aKg

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Washington Wizards