ImageImageImageImageImage

Seismic Shift in the East: Thomas Bryant a Wizard

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,980

Re: Seismic Shift in the East: Wizards claim Thomas Bryant off waivers 

Post#81 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 am

nate33 wrote:... I think Bryant looks the most capable of being useful in the league this season. I wouldn't want him starting or anything, but he might be able to handle the role of a backup center almost immediately. He'd surely make plenty of rookie mistakes, but he seems to have a fully developed set of tools (low post play, perimeter shot, size, length, mobility, willingness to defend) that would allow him to compete with NBA vets right away.

I'd say that he's given us plenty of reason to find out whether he can handle meaningful NBA minutes. He should play from the start of the season until he's proven that he can't yet produce in the NBA. Like you, I think he'll show the opposite -- that he can.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#82 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:52 pm

The only part of his summer league performance that seemed dubious at times was his PnR defense and team defense in general. However, he barely has played with those guys so maybe some of the hesitancy is simply having to adjust on the fly with new teammates and not being in sync with em. Obviously his g-league highlights aren't going to illustrate how he is as a team defender, but if anyone has watched him play at IND or in the G-league, can they comment on how he is as a team defender? His man defense wasn't bad I thought. Seemed solid.

His offensive moves are actually surprisingly fluid. What I also liked, is that he for the most part set solid screens. Wasn't like Seraphin out there half assing it.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#83 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 pm

payitforward wrote:...Actually, yes, he played very well indeed in G League last year -- & his numbers were on @1300 minutes, so they mean something.

Check out his G League highlights -- http://gleague.nba.com/player/thomas-bryant/

Well, now... here I am quoting myself as I bring this thread back to life. Lets hear it for this kid. He's come in & played very well.

Just as I said he would!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#84 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 pm

payitforward wrote:Bryant isn't as glued to the ground as some of you seem to think. Here are the '17 Combine measurements:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709370-nba-combine-results-2017-friday-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

Don't get me wrong... he's not a high flyer. But take a look at Harry Giles, Tony Bradley -- & Moritz Wagner, whom some of you were excited to acquire.

Look at his G League highlights -- ok, obviously they're "highlights" so they show him at his best. But he shoots the 3 well, & he looks to have good court awareness, & he is extremely intense. Nor does he look like he's wearing "ankle weights." Again, he's not a high flyer but he's pretty bouncy in the way he plays. Plus, he is really big & long.

Bryant had a terrific Freshman year. He actually declined some as a Sophomore (don't know why), but he has promise -- he's not even 21 yet, btw.

Oh, I forgot -- soon Ernie will be announcing that "we've had our eye on Thomas Bryant for a while. We actually considered taking him in R1 last year, until someone reminded us that we didn't have a pick. So we were pleased when he became available, & we acted quickly to take advantage of the opportunity."

Oh... have I quoted myself again? I guess I have.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#85 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:45 pm

payitforward wrote:I disagree. Thomas Bryant is a talent.

Compare him to Jarrett Allen & Tony Bradley -- 2 other very young bigs who came into the league via the '17 draft. His physical tools are comparable to either of them.

Bradley is the closest match. If you look at the 2017 Combine measurements, they are virtually identical in size. Bryant is actually a little longer & has slightly bigger hands. Most important: Bradley's standing & max verticals are slightly worse than Bryant's.

I've been watching Bradley in the Summer League the last day or so -- over his year w/ the Jazz & the off-season so far, he's trimmed his body fat substantially & gotten a lot stronger. He is looking great in the games so far.

Just b/c Tony Bradley did it doesn't mean Thomas Bryant can. But the potential is there.

Jarrett Allen came in w/ a lower % of body fat & weighing 16 lbs less. His verticals were better than either Bradley or Bryant. But, the agility drills were about the same across the 3 of them.

In short, Bryant has all the athleticism, size & length needed. Watch his G League highlights, & you see that he plays with intensity & a good feel for the game.

No one can predict this kid's future, his development path or his ceiling. But he's got serious upside IMO. Lets hope our FO doesn't jettison him the way we did Khem Birch -- now an established & very productive but inexpensive player for the Magic.

In this case, I was disagreeing w/ CCJ, who -- to my shock! -- didn't jump on the Thomas Bryant train as I thought he would.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#86 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:The issue with Thomas Bryant isn't his size. Honestly, being a little lighter helps more than it hurts. He just doesn't see the game fast enough and isn't skilled enough by NBA standards. I hope he turns out, and he still might, but even if he does turn out, we're talking maybe 10th man or something.

Of course, some other people disagreed. But, hey, what do they know? Right?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#87 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:54 pm

Ok... I've beaten my chest enough!! I'll stop with this:

payitforward wrote:IMO, Thomas Bryant has a shot to be an extremely good NBA player. As well, I do not agree that he is "years away," as someone posted yesterday in the SL thread. Here's why I think so.

Lets compare him to Jarrett Allen for a moment. After the draft last year, a lot of people thought Jarrett Allen was "years away." Now, for context, Allen is 9 months younger than Bryant. He came out after his Freshman year & went #22. Bryant came out after his Sophomore year & went #42 in the same draft.

But, if you look at the two guys' numbers as Freshmen (Bryant in '15-16, Allen in '16-17) they are virtually identical in most ways. Rebounding, blocked shots, assists, steals & turnovers -- all very close.

But, they were not similar either in scoring or in fouls.

Bryant was by far a better scorer than Allen. He scored 21 points per 40 minutes at an amazing .701 TS%.

Allen fouled a lot less, however -- 2.6 per 40 minutes vs. Bryant's 5.

Overall, factoring in scoring & fouls, Thomas Bryant had meaningfully better numbers than Jarrett Allen. But, Allen played in a tougher conference. Still, I think that if Bryant had come out in 2016, after his Freshman year, he might well have been a lottery pick.

Bryant's Sophomore numbers went down some -- almost entirely b/c his scoring efficiency declined. But -- & this is important -- both his 3 pt. % (.383) & his FT % (.730) actually went up. & they were extremely good -- esp. for a pure Center like Bryant.

What happened was that Bryant's 2 pt. % went down to .519 (still not bad), reflecting the fact that he added more variety to his offense (i.e. he started shooting more jump shots). His TS% went down from .701 to a mere .601. That's as a Sophomore. & it's still very good.

For comparison, Mo Wagner posted .619 as a Junior. Omari Spellman was at .588 as a Freshman. Robert Williams was at .570 as a Freshman & .614 as a Sophomore.

IMO, this kid has a shot to be an extremely good NBA player.

Before saying "he can't do this" & "he doesn't do that," you might want to think about all the bigs that passed through here, or whom we passed on in R2 or never took seriously at all b/c they went undrafted -- & who went on to be very successful in the league. Khem Birch might be the poster boy, but the league is full of them.

Ok... Rockets game starts in 10 minutes, giving me just enough time to find my laurels so I can rest on them before, inevitably, Thomas Bryant goes out there tonight and lays an enormous egg.

Don't do it, young Thomas. Don't do it. Make that egg a golden egg!!

Unlike you debbie downers & negative nelsons, I believed in Thomas Bryant from the got go. Because I am positive PIF !!
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#88 » by trast66 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 am

He's played less than 100 minutes, let's not get too excited. But thread resurrection appropriate in the spirit of being positive!

Ernie's reaction to Warriors winning 73 games and the small ball revolution:

July 7, 2016: Signed Ian Mahinmi to a multi-year contract.
July 7, 2016: Signed Andrew Nicholson to a multi-year contract.
July 7, 2016: Signed Jason Smith to a multi-year contract.
popper
Veteran
And1: 367

Post#89 » by popper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 am

payitforward wrote:
payitforward wrote:Bryant isn't as glued to the ground as some of you seem to think. Here are the '17 Combine measurements:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709370-nba-combine-results-2017-friday-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

Don't get me wrong... he's not a high flyer. But take a look at Harry Giles, Tony Bradley -- & Moritz Wagner, whom some of you were excited to acquire.

Look at his G League highlights -- ok, obviously they're "highlights" so they show him at his best. But he shoots the 3 well, & he looks to have good court awareness, & he is extremely intense. Nor does he look like he's wearing "ankle weights." Again, he's not a high flyer but he's pretty bouncy in the way he plays. Plus, he is really big & long.

Bryant had a terrific Freshman year. He actually declined some as a Sophomore (don't know why), but he has promise -- he's not even 21 yet, btw.

Oh, I forgot -- soon Ernie will be announcing that "we've had our eye on Thomas Bryant for a while. We actually considered taking him in R1 last year, until someone reminded us that we didn't have a pick. So we were pleased when he became available, & we acted quickly to take advantage of the opportunity."

Oh... have I quoted myself again? I guess I have.

Kudos PIF. Nice call on Bryant.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,999

Post#90 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:31 pm

Read on Twitter

So far this season:

PER of 19.7

Per 36: 17 PPG, 11 REB

ORTG of 125, DRTG of 111
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#91 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:44 pm

It seems as though Bryant has improved as the starter, while Morris has improved as the backup who plays more than the starter. Seems as if the Wiz have stumbled onto something there. We'll see if it holds up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#92 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:54 pm

Funny how we stumbled onto Bryant, we are getting from him than our $16M back-up. Grunfelded.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#93 » by DCZards » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:10 pm

closg00 wrote:Funny how we stumbled onto Bryant, we are getting from him than our $16M back-up. Grunfelded.

EG no doubt deserves blame for that stupid contract he gave Ian...but he also deserves credit for "stumbling" onto Bryant. :)
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#94 » by nuposse04 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:36 pm

Whats gonna suck is that when Howard comes back, Bryant won't get the backup 5 mins even though he absolutely should. Hopefully we will have traded Morris/Oubre/Rivers/Wall by that point.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,999

Post#95 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:21 pm

DCZards wrote:
closg00 wrote:Funny how we stumbled onto Bryant, we are getting from him than our $16M back-up. Grunfelded.

EG no doubt deserves blame for that stupid contract he gave Ian...but he also deserves credit for "stumbling" onto Bryant. :)

#SoWizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,633

Post#96 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:30 pm

nuposse04 wrote:Whats gonna suck is that when Howard comes back, Bryant won't get the backup 5 mins even though he absolutely should. Hopefully we will have traded Morris/Oubre/Rivers/Wall by that point.

Howard isn't coming back. At least not until March or so.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,176

Post#97 » by dckingsfan » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:45 pm

When we talk about Mahimni, we should talk about Smith + Nicholson and that 2017 first that turned out to be Jarrett Allen. So, we could have had Jarrett Allen and Bryant. Who knew...
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#98 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:36 pm

DCZards wrote:
closg00 wrote:Funny how we stumbled onto Bryant, we are getting more from him than our $16M back-up. Grunfelded.

Considering this is the same man that runs out to lockdown Smith/Nicholson and throw-out player options, I wonder if it was Ernie himself that scouted Bryant, that’s harsh I-know.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,371

Post#99 » by Shanghai Kid » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:37 pm

His advanced stats are actually really impressive. The best thing is the energy he plays with.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#100 » by nuposse04 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:01 pm

nate33 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Whats gonna suck is that when Howard comes back, Bryant won't get the backup 5 mins even though he absolutely should. Hopefully we will have traded Morris/Oubre/Rivers/Wall by that point.

Howard isn't coming back. At least not until March or so.

I think so long as we start evening out and winning games, Howard will make an attempt to come back. I'd personally like him to take his time. I'm also hoping that we can jettison some of our non-contributory players.

I thought I read his rehab would be 6 weeks, is it significantly longer?

Return to Washington Wizards