Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#821 » by BigA » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
BigA wrote:Just saw Tim Legler on the Golic-Wingo show. Has he always had that deep orange tan? Reminded me of John Boehner and Mike Tanahan.

Maybe he's a closeted Donald Trump fan?

Trump's orange-ness is mostly due to his hair. He does some sort of tanning as well, but his skin tone is nowhere near Boehner or Legler levels.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,373

Post#822 » by dobrojim » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#823 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:53 pm

BigA wrote:
nate33 wrote:
BigA wrote:Just saw Tim Legler on the Golic-Wingo show. Has he always had that deep orange tan? Reminded me of John Boehner and Mike Tanahan.

Maybe he's a closeted Donald Trump fan?

Trump's orange-ness is mostly due to his hair. He does some sort of tanning as well, but his skin tone is nowhere near Boehner or Legler levels.

Did you see Trump on Impeachment night. He was burnt orange - literally and figuratively. Looked like he spent the day tweating in a tanning booth.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#824 » by BigA » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BigA wrote:
nate33 wrote:Maybe he's a closeted Donald Trump fan?

Did you see Trump on Impeachment night. He was burnt orange - literally and figuratively. Looked like he spent the day tweating in a tanning booth.

Yeah, I looked up some images and he looks more red to me there, which would suggest overuse of the tanning booth.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,644

Post#825 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:08 am

this is a long article, but damn, what a ride.

@doc - you'd enjoy the hell out of this

https://story.californiasunday.com/lawyer-x-melbourne
Bullets -> Wizards
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,737

Post#826 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:00 pm

Bumped at Zonk's demand so that we can talk about Zion Williamson and specifically how he looks like that bully from Class Act.

Bucket! Bucket!
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,644

Post#827 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:57 pm

so long as yall are here, seriously, read this article.

pancakes3 wrote:this is a long article, but damn, what a ride.

Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,445

Post#828 » by doclinkin » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:17 pm

pancakes3 wrote:so long as yall are here, seriously, read this article.

pancakes3 wrote:this is a long article, but damn, what a ride.

That. Is a travishamockery. A retroactive abortion of justice. What prosecutor or police supervisor would think that was a good idea? Damn.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,218

Post#829 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:Bumped at Zonk's demand so that we can talk about Zion Williamson and specifically how he looks like that bully from Class Act.

omg ty

dude is fun to watch
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#830 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:01 pm

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#831 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 pm

He reminds me a lot of Charles Barkley and is super fun to watch. I also see he's already working on the Blake Griffin-style transition where he increases his range and learns to pass better in order to try to mitigate being in a position where he has to dunk on everyone all the time. He's better than Griffin, though, and so long as he can stay healthy, he could be a truly amazing player.
Bucket! Bucket!
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#832 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Nonono who's that guy who lost the slam dunk contest but then was featured on that bball show... aaargh I'm so old and my memory is crap... dude was SO EXPLOSIVE and SO STRONG, a few inches shorter than Zion, then his back went out

Wait let me google "Charlotte NBA All Stars"...

Larry Johnson! Although Larry was definitely a 2/3 and Zion is undisputably a 4. Yeah Charles Barkley is a good comparison although at this point Zion's game is less cerebral, more raw power. Nothing against Zion, Barkley was like a Ph.D. bball player. Wonder why he never got into coaching. Having too much fun as an announcer I guess.

Man I love me some good power forwards who have quick feet like Chris Webber. Webber was way longer and not as strong.

I don't know, all exceptional NBA players are exceptional in their own unique way, one of the things I love about the game.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 608

Post#833 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Nonono who's that guy who lost the slam dunk contest but then was featured on that bball show... aaargh I'm so old and my memory is crap... dude was SO EXPLOSIVE and SO STRONG, a few inches shorter than Zion, then his back went out

Larry Johnson! Although Larry was definitely a 2/3 and Zion is undisputably a 4. Yeah Charles Barkley is a good comparison although at this point Zion's game is less cerebral, more raw power. Nothing against Zion, Barkley was like a Ph.D. bball player. Wonder why he never got into coaching. Having too much fun as an announcer I guess.

Man I love me some good power forwards who have quick feet like Chris Webber. Webber was way longer and not as strong.

I don't know, all exceptional NBA players are exceptional in their own unique way, one of the things I love about the game.

I don’t believe there will ever be another Grandmama...

“Get out of the lane GRANDMAMA IS DRIVING!”
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#834 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:58 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Nonono who's that guy who lost the slam dunk contest but then was featured on that bball show... aaargh I'm so old and my memory is crap... dude was SO EXPLOSIVE and SO STRONG, a few inches shorter than Zion, then his back went out

I don’t believe there will ever be another Grandmama...

“Get out of the lane GRANDMAMA IS DRIVING!”

OMG THANK YOU! I hadn't seen some of these!!!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#835 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Yeah, Larry Johnson and Penny Hardaway had some great commercials in that era. Both were great and had injuries shorten their prime years.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#836 » by LyricalRico » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:Yeah, Larry Johnson and Penny Hardaway had some great commercials in that era. Both were great and had injuries shorten their prime years.

I'd say add Grant Hill to that list, too. He had an all-time great commercial, and then his career was derailed by the ankle problems. You could make the argument that he was the original heir-apparent to the post-MJ NBA before those injuries.

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 608

Post#837 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:Yeah, Larry Johnson and Penny Hardaway had some great commercials in that era. Both were great and had injuries shorten their prime years.

I had forgotten about Lil Penny. Chris Rock’s voice & Tyra Banks looks must have sold a lot of Nikes.

https://youtu.be/ODrYzw6Y2Uo

“You all remind me of my closet, one Penny and a bunch of LOAFERS.”

“HEY THAT WAS TYRA FOOL!”
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#838 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I'd say add Grant Hill to that list, too. He had an all-time great commercial, and then his career was derailed by the ankle problems. You could make the argument that he was the original heir-apparent to the post-MJ NBA before those injuries.

That Grant Hill commercial is one of the best. Sprite was on a brief roll back then.

BearlyBallin wrote:I don’t believe there will ever be another Grandmama...

He was also on the best episode of Family Matters ever.

Bucket! Bucket!
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#839 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/13/21135862/zion-williamson-post-up-new-orleans-pelicans

"Credit is due to Alvin Gentry, head coach of one of the fastest-paced teams in the league, for understanding the folly of slowing the game down to post up. In the current competitive environment, you *run to post up*—before the defense settles, the help is in place, and the shot clock becomes an issue."
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#840 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:02 pm

The curse of the commercial

Return to Washington Wizards