General Manager
And1: 2,626

Re: 09-10 WizFans Official Draft Thread II 

Post#1481 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:15 pm

if we're able to trade back into the...

top 10 - Cousins, Monroe, Wes Johnson
top 20 - babbitt, whiteside, george, aldrich
top 30 - alabi, seraphin, anderson

in those orders. with miami's 18th, whiteside would be an awesome pickup.
Bullets -> Wizards
mtrean2
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1482 » by mtrean2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks Lyrical.

I know that Henry isn't the ideal height for SF, but I think he can still play the position. He's smaller than both George and Babbitt (projected SFs in his draft range) but he has the same wingspan as both of them.

However, I also think he'd play alot of SG as well. As you mention, Arenas will probably play some PG minutes, so Henry can get some SG minutes there. I just don't trust Young even is his numbers say otherwise.

Also, we have no idea if Arenas is truly in the wiz long-term plans, so maybe he'd be our long-term SG solution.

You mentioned Melo as well. I have mixed feelings about Melo. One side says he'd be the perfect fit will Wall/Blatch. He's from the area. He's a true #1 scorer. However, his attitude/off court issues worry me. However, if we were to go that route, I think Wall/Henry/Melo would be better than Wall/Arenas/Melo over the long run, especially on D. Some might think that's crazy, but remember Wall probably won't be at his peak for a few years, and by that time, Arenas will be in his 30s. I'd rather have another player peaking at that time that actually plays D.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1483 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm

mtrean2 wrote:Thanks Lyrical.

I know that Henry isn't the ideal height for SF, but I think he can still play the position. He's smaller than both George and Babbitt (projected SFs in his draft range) but he has the same wingspan as both of them.

However, I also think he'd play alot of SG as well. As you mention, Arenas will probably play some PG minutes, so Henry can get some SG minutes there. I just don't trust Young even is his numbers say otherwise.

Also, we have no idea if Arenas is truly in the wiz long-term plans, so maybe he'd be our long-term SG solution.

You mentioned Melo as well. I have mixed feelings about Melo. One side says he'd be the perfect fit will Wall/Blatch. He's from the area. He's a true #1 scorer. However, his attitude/off court issues worry me. However, if we were to go that route, I think Wall/Henry/Melo would be better than Wall/Arenas/Melo over the long run, especially on D. Some might think that's crazy, but remember Wall probably won't be at his peak for a few years, and by that time, Arenas will be in his 30s. I'd rather have another player peaking at that time that actually plays D.

Welcome mtrean2!

You touch on an important point that I think is overlooked here way too often. Even with Wall and Arenas starting in the short term, the Wiz will still need 1-2 more reliable guards. I can see Gil playing 20 - 25 MPG next to Wall and 10 -15 backing him up (I'd guess 35 MPG total based on his injury history). That's going to leave plenty of time open at the SG spot.

I share your ambivalence on Nick Young as a long term solution to the point where I'd basically characterize myself as a non-believer. So if Henry if the FO believes Henry is a highly capable SG prospect and we have a shot to draft him, I have no qualms about doing so. Who knows if Gil is here in a year or two anyway. Even if he is, we need at least one more effective guard in the rotation, and we don't have any options under contract right now absent of Young.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1484 » by closg00 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Either a solid SG or SF will be there to pick at 30, any guesses on which way we will go on draft night?

Agree on Young, despite him being a decent defender (perhaps they can give him that role) I think his minutes are just waiting to be stolen by whichever SG we take in this draft.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1485 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:14 pm

IBTL
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1486 » by closg00 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Wow, Brian Zoubek has shot-up in the 2nd round on the latest DX mock, perhaps his strong rebounding numbers have helped him.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#1487 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm

if we go SG, I'm still very heavy on the Dominique Jones bandwagon... I'd much rather go SF though. Pondexter mostly if we're at 30 and he drops out of the 20s

And that sucks on Zoubek. I think he's what we need to a small extent, and would have been ecstatic if he went undrafted and we got him in our camp. Not trying to spend a pick on him in the 30s.

Return to Washington Wizards