Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Re: Expectations for Wall 

Post#41 » by montestewart » Fri May 28, 2010 4:22 am

^
I remember when John Kerry came on stage at the dem convention and saluted. I knew then he was going to lose. Every time Mcgee does that, I think of Kerry, I think "loser," and I wish he'd stop that. I remember Auerbach griping about modern players slapping each other on the back and high-fiving after every play, even on missed foul shots. You could tell it drove him crazy. Oh well, I guess if McGee's doing that ten times a game, that would probably be good, right?
B-easy
Starter
And1: 538

Post#42 » by B-easy » Sat May 29, 2010 3:40 am

Wall will score more than 12 points, more like 15-17 with about 6assists, and 1.3 steals. Plus he'll probably be the one taking the last shot in close games like he did for Kentucky, he is absolutely clutch.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#43 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sat May 29, 2010 5:42 am

miller31time wrote:
Donkey McDonkerton wrote:
montestewart wrote:]How about
10pts
20 ass(ists)
10 stl
10 reb

Arenas will have 45pts and 2 assists

Our back court can put up 55pts and 22 assists

And McGee will get a quadruple-double: 10 blocks, 10 boards, 10 alley-oops, and (incredibly, unprecedented) 10 fouls.

you had me until 10 fouls, c'mon keep this thread realistic

10 of these?

Image[/quote]

I think that was implied with the 10 alley-oops

As for Wall- something around 14 and 5. He won't get 40 minutes a night with Gilbert still taking time at PG. Then he could easily improve by 50% and be getting 21 and 7.5 in a year or two.
19-13 on game threads
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#44 » by Illuminaire » Sat May 29, 2010 6:13 am

Hmm. Factoring the rookie wall and one random groin injury (he will be playing for the Wizards, after all)...

I'm going to say 14.5 points, 6.1 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 1.9 steals. If he learns to draw contact regularly at this level, up the points to 16.5.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#45 » by willbcocks » Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 am

I'm predicting Gil gets shipped off at some point. And I think this board is overestimating the players on are roster--most of them are pretty lousy. Wall could get some serious points...
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#46 » by closg00 » Sat May 29, 2010 12:39 pm

willbcocks wrote:I'm predicting Gil gets shipped off at some point. And I think this board is overestimating the players on are roster--most of them are pretty lousy. Wall could get some serious points...

I'd be surprised if we can unload Gil's contract w/o giving-up a pick or taking-back a bad contract.
As-far as the roster goes, let's see what we have after the draft and FA, we really don't have a roster yet.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#47 » by MJG » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Hmm. Factoring the rookie wall and one random groin injury (he will be playing for the Wizards, after all)...

I'm going to say 14.5 points, 6.1 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 1.9 steals. If he learns to draw contact regularly at this level, up the points to 16.5.

If I didn't know better, I'd assume you just copied Derrick Rose's rookie numbers: 16.8 PPG, 6.3 APG, 3.9 RPG, 0.8 SPG.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#48 » by montestewart » Sat May 29, 2010 2:29 pm

MJG wrote:
Illuminaire wrote:Hmm. Factoring the rookie wall and one random groin injury (he will be playing for the Wizards, after all)...

If I didn't know better, I'd assume you just copied Derrick Rose's rookie numbers: 16.8 PPG, 6.3 APG, 3.9 RPG, 0.8 SPG.

That's where I got my 17p 4rb 6ass.

Yeah, If Arenas leaves, easily up the scoring.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#49 » by hands11 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:10 am

Ah year ago is was a dream of mine that we would land Wall this year. Now with the number one pick in our hands is still looks good but it just reminds me of what we are still missing. We need our PP, Gasol, Kobe players.

I actually think Gil can be R Allish so that's good and we would have a PG to grow around for years which is good. I just wonder if top pick to to much to pay of it. Dray can be an Odom or better. We will have pieces. Just need to keep building. More front line and that special SF/SG to top it off.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#50 » by DaRealHibachi » Mon May 31, 2010 5:22 am

hands11 wrote:Ah year ago is was a dream of mine that we would land Wall this year. Now with the number one pick in our hands is still looks good but it just reminds me of what we are still missing. We need our PP, Gasol, Kobe players.

I actually think Gil can be R Allish so that's good and we would have a PG to grow around for years which is good. I just wonder if top pick to to much to pay of it. Dray can be an Odom or better. We will have pieces. Just need to keep building. More front line and that special SF/SG to top it off.

I think Gil is a much better scorer than Allen, he's also a legit first option on a NBA team...
:beer: Magnumt
B-easy
Starter

Post#51 » by B-easy » Mon May 31, 2010 7:08 am

Anyone think that, down the line, wall could be a scoring guard. Like a D-wade who switches between SG and PG in game.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#52 » by Illuminaire » Mon May 31, 2010 7:46 am

MJG wrote:If I didn't know better, I'd assume you just copied Derrick Rose's rookie numbers: 16.8 PPG, 6.3 APG, 3.9 RPG, 0.8 SPG.

Wow, I had no idea actually. I suddenly feel very smart though! :wink:
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#53 » by Illuminaire » Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 am

hands11 wrote:Ah year ago is was a dream of mine that we would land Wall this year. Now with the number one pick in our hands is still looks good but it just reminds me of what we are still missing. We need our PP, Gasol, Kobe players.

Gil can't fill the defensive roll that Allen does, but he could certainly model the offensive side of Ray's career. Efficient scoring, stretching the floor, and making plays for teammates are right up his alley.

I agree with the rest. We don't need a complete big man, but we do need at least someone with elite defensive and rebounding skills. We'll have enough scoring and playmaking, especially if Blatche keeps developing his game down low. An athletic SF/SG and a defensive scheme that doesn't suck would be the icing on the cake. Man. I am psyched!
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#54 » by verbal8 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:19 pm

B-easy wrote:Anyone think that, down the line, wall could be a scoring guard. Like a D-wade who switches between SG and PG in game.

I think his measurements and game are similar to Wade. I think he is more likely to start out as a scoring guard first and then become more of a PG as he gets experience.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#55 » by Ruzious » Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 pm

While there are some similarities between Wade and Wall - in speed and explosiveness to the basket, I don't see them as similar style players. Wall is a PG who doesn't force the action in the half court. Wade is a more physical and aggressive scorer.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#56 » by dangermouse » Mon May 31, 2010 3:49 pm

Ray Ray is a much better 3 point shooter than Arenas and better at the catch and shoot in particular.

Toot toot, thread derailment!

Allen went from being the #1 option in Seattle to being the 3rd option in Boston. However I think his game was such that it was easy for him to adapt to his new role. Arenas will have a harder time.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
B-easy
Starter

Post#57 » by B-easy » Tue Jun 1, 2010 8:17 am

verbal8 wrote:
B-easy wrote:Anyone think that, down the line, wall could be a scoring guard. Like a D-wade who switches between SG and PG in game.

I think his measurements and game are similar to Wade. I think he is more likely to start out as a scoring guard first and then become more of a PG as he gets experience.

Really?, i thought it would be the other way around, once he gets his jumper going.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#58 » by keynote » Wed Jun 2, 2010 5:12 am

Speaking of Wall's jumper:

MrMichaelLee
Wall's J is improving. Had to hit 7/10 shots from 7 spots. Kept making himself need to hit final shot. Kept making it. Kid loves pressure
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#59 » by Dat2U » Wed Jun 2, 2010 6:38 am

keynote wrote:Speaking of Wall's jumper:

MrMichaelLee
Wall's J is improving. Had to hit 7/10 shots from 7 spots. Kept making himself need to hit final shot. Kept making it. Kid loves pressure

This is why you take Wall #1. Work ethic, intangibles, the desire to be the best.

Cousins has all the talent but none of the above.

Turner has all the above but is not nearly as talented
B-easy
Starter

Post#60 » by B-easy » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:58 am

More people will come to watch John wall, than cousins or turner. He's more marketable because of his flashy play and personality. He's got a chance to be one of the most popular players in the nba along with huge sales with his jersey.

Return to Washington Wizards