ImageImageImageImageImage

Expectations for Wall

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Re: Expectations for Wall 

Post#61 » by Soup's Uncle » Wed Jun 2, 2010 12:11 pm

I have high expectations. I just hope we don't blow it and pass him up or he gets a freak injury between now and the draft. Heck, I changed my avatar!
F Street = Wall Street
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#62 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Jun 4, 2010 2:52 am

I hope Wall is watching the finals and sees how the Lakers aren't within 10 feet of Rondo because they don't respect his shot and can't shoot. He should be shooting jumpers for 6 hours every day.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#63 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri Jun 4, 2010 3:56 am

^ he mentions how he's working on his jumper in just about EVERY interview I've seen. Matter of fact in one he pointed out it's his greatest weakness and it's the "only" thing he was working on. I hope he didn't literally mean "only", but I think it's safe to say he's taking his jumper very seriously.

(I wouldn't mind if he continues to study Kobe either... I know in one interview he was talking about how great Kobe's footwork is and how its something he wants to emulate)

I'm definitely not overly concerned about him trying to make do as is based solely on athletic ability, he seems willing to put in the work to be great.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#64 » by yungal07 » Fri Jun 4, 2010 4:23 am

Wall, mentally, is so far advanced for his age. Makes me cry everytime I think about the Kwame F Brown fiasco.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#65 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 5, 2010 4:37 am

DaRealHibachi wrote:
hands11 wrote:Ah year ago is was a dream of mine that we would land Wall this year. Now with the number one pick in our hands is still looks good but it just reminds me of what we are still missing. We need our PP, Gasol, Kobe players.

I actually think Gil can be R Allish so that's good and we would have a PG to grow around for years which is good. I just wonder if top pick to to much to pay of it. Dray can be an Odom or better. We will have pieces. Just need to keep building. More front line and that special SF/SG to top it off.

I think Gil is a much better scorer than Allen, he's also a legit first option on a NBA team...

But he isn't a more rounded professional player. He can be, but he isn't. Right now, I would take him playikng a Ray Allen game. Ray is the best pure taleted mature playoff experienced SG out there, For now, the best move it to keep him Gil and hope he can play a well rounded role as something we can add to the team, not something that you need to build around.

We don't need Giberology. Never did. We just need a solid well rounded two way SG from him. I don't trust him to be the PG. He doesn't have it mentally or maturity to carry that load. He is a scorer. That was always the case.

Feeding him ego as an top talent was always a waste of time. He needs to dial his ego back. He a team player with solid leadership at the PG. That would be Wall.
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#66 » by AceDegenerate » Sun Jun 6, 2010 3:03 am

Plenty of this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzI3xvomZM&NR=1[/youtube]
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#67 » by keynote » Sun Jun 6, 2010 3:50 am

Krizko Zero wrote:Plenty of this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzI3xvomZM&NR=1[/youtube]

:droop:
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sun Jun 6, 2010 5:39 am

I don't think that I've gone a day since the lottery without watching at least one JW video. I was a little to young to really remember 2001 and if there was this much hype at all, but this is by far the most excited I've been as a wizards fan. The draft can't get here soon enough.
19-13 on game threads
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#69 » by keynote » Mon Jun 7, 2010 4:29 am

If the Sixers fool around and find a way to injure Wall during that sham of a workout, I'm a have to catch a case.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#70 » by Halcyon » Mon Jun 7, 2010 6:34 am

http://www.csnwashington.com/06/05/10/C ... feedID=273

Really short video but it shows John Wall is working hard. That jumpshot is looking pretty good to me, from first glance. It's also good to see that the trainer saying how hungry Wall is.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#71 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 7, 2010 12:44 pm

Surprised no one posted this yet. Via DX's Twitter feed:
Check out this 11 minute workout and interview video with expected #1 overall pick John Wall: http://bit.ly/conM2C

Enjoy!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#72 » by B-easy » Mon Jun 7, 2010 12:51 pm

^ saw that, just forgot to post it.

His jump shot does look better.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#73 » by willbcocks » Mon Jun 7, 2010 1:28 pm

Dude's totally got the it factor. Really mature. I think the trademark of success in any thing is learning how to respond to failure. That Wall seems to have managed to do that sometime in high school is remarkable.

Also, I like Givony, he gave a great interview.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#74 » by WizStorm » Mon Jun 7, 2010 1:41 pm

fishercob wrote:Surprised no one posted this yet. Via DX's Twitter feed:
Check out this 11 minute workout and interview video with expected #1 overall pick John Wall: http://bit.ly/conM2C

Enjoy!
I think they were practicing the trademark Wizards' D against him during that practice session.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#75 » by dobrojim » Mon Jun 7, 2010 2:25 pm

Wiz trademark defense or not, his jumper looked real good.
Not a lot of misses in that vid (edited out? or just not there
in a practice?)

I know it was just a workout, but he looked explosive just
going at half speed. Nice x-over.

This is very exciting. If they don't take this kid, heads should roll.

And while I do have concerns about both players needing the ball,
I think they'll get it worked out, him and Gil that is. They both want to
win.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#76 » by DCZards » Tue Jun 8, 2010 2:42 am

dobrojim wrote:And while I do have concerns about both players needing the ball,
I think they'll get it worked out, him and Gil that is. They both want to
win.

They both want to win..badly! GA wins to prove he's BACK and Wall is dead serious about being one of the best ever. Loved the 11 minute interview with Wall--the kid certainly sounds solid--and that jumper is coming along.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#77 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 8, 2010 6:02 am

willbcocks wrote:Dude's totally got the it factor. Really mature. I think the trademark of success in any thing is learning how to respond to failure. That Wall seems to have managed to do that sometime in high school is remarkable.

Also, I like Givony, he gave a great interview.

Wall is very, very, very impressive in that interview.

As a dad I'm sitting here thinking that kid says the right things, works hard, seems to get it.

He already has a great work ethic.
Bye bye Beal.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by RickRoll_inDC » Tue Jun 8, 2010 7:19 am

fishercob wrote:Surprised no one posted this yet. Via DX's Twitter feed:

Enjoy!

2 things:

1. He's incredibly mature for being 19. Fantastic interview. Sounds like he has a great work ethic and understands hard work. A positive image seems to be incredibly important to him as well (which doesn't seem to be the case for a certain other Wizards guard)
2. I know it's just practice, but the J looks much better than at UK. What stood out most was the crossover around the 8 minute mark or so. He wasn't going full speed, and it was still an incredibly fast change of direction.
19-13 on game threads
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#79 » by queridiculo » Tue Jun 8, 2010 2:00 pm

His 'jumper' does look good, but you have to wonder how many of those set shots are going to get swatted on the next level.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#80 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Jun 8, 2010 2:59 pm

hermitkid wrote:His 'jumper' does look good, but you have to wonder how many of those set shots are going to get swatted on the next level.

ya he has a somewhat slow and low release and doesnt get much lift from his legs. maybe it was just cuz he knew the d was saggin off but those shots look easy to contest. regardless, it was good to see him making shots consistently.

one thing i dont like about wall is he seems to have a scorers mentality. he talks alot about being able to penetrate and knock down shots on the pick and roll. i always saw him as a pure point, being able to make the pass before looking for his own shot. the russle westbrook comparison scares me a little.

Return to Washington Wizards