7 rebounds

2 assists

and a block
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: Expectations for Blatche 

Post#2 » by dangermouse » Sun May 23, 2010 7:34 am

Time in the weight room and working on conditioning in the offseason.

Wall spoonfeeding him the ball in the lane all season long. 22ppg.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#3 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun May 23, 2010 7:55 am

have high expectations for him and I know the idea of playing with a player like John Wall is going to excite and motivate our players a whole lot.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Hoopalotta » Sun May 23, 2010 7:57 am

I think you can't really put it in base stat terms. He could run up 18-7-2-1 and it would be a really disappointing campaign or he could put up those numbers and it's a great season.

I'm looking for efficiency, defense and professionalism. If all three of those points are checking out, I'm sure we'll all be pretty well pleased regardless of the base stats.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#5 » by dlts20 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:25 am

its hard to say depending on the roster. I say about 18 & 9. I think he will get alot less touches, play less minutes, & wont be the top option but all of that will be canceled out by the fact that he wont get doubled alot, & will get alot of easy or open shots. Him on the floor with Gil & Wall is going to be like cake. I just hope that Flip doesnt forget to feed him in the post and I hope he doesnt turn into an AJ. I want him to be on the block, take the open J, and catch & drive. To me, I think his rebounding will go up since he doesnt have to be the focus on Offense and worry about carrying us through triple teams. Its really all up to him though. I still dont trust him to beast hard in the offseason. If he did then he would be dominant next year, espically if we are running more with a Gil-Wall backcourt
B-easy
Starter
And1: 512

Post#6 » by B-easy » Sun May 23, 2010 9:35 am

Hopefully blatche changes his attitude. That triple double attempt was embarrassing, it's clear that we need to play better team basketball.
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 23, 2010 1:11 pm

It is definitely funny that Wizards fans are so casually able to ignore Blatche's character flaws. The man has way more issues than Arenas ever had, yet almost nobody thinks he has any kind of issues and he is such a great influence to have around young players.

Why is that? Is it cause he is underpaid? If he is overpaid by his next contract will we judge him differently?

Blatche is the one who has always lacked basketball motivation., Blatche is the one who cruises for prostitutes on the late night in D.C., Blatche is the one who is consistently seen out partying and living it up. Yet, GILBERT ARENAS is the POISON / CANCER on this team? Please.

I don't like the double-standards our GM subscribes to, if Blatche is not a cancer then neither is Gilbert, not by far.

I expect something very close to 20/10 across a full season from Blatche because that is what he is capable of. 18/10/3 or so would be about right for him considering he did it for the past 20+ games of the year.
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#8 » by jholmbe1 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:It is definitely funny that Wizards fans are so casually able to ignore Blatche's character flaws. The man has way more issues than Arenas ever had, yet almost nobody thinks he has any kind of issues and he is such a great influence to have around young players.

Why is that? Is it cause he is underpaid? If he is overpaid by his next contract will we judge him differently?

Blatche is the one who has always lacked basketball motivation., Blatche is the one who cruises for prostitutes on the late night in D.C., Blatche is the one who is consistently seen out partying and living it up. Yet, GILBERT ARENAS is the POISON / CANCER on this team? Please.

I don't like the double-standards our GM subscribes to, if Blatche is not a cancer then neither is Gilbert, not by far.

I expect something very close to 20/10 across a full season from Blatche because that is what he is capable of. 18/10/3 or so would be about right for him considering he did it for the past 20+ games of the year.

The difference being of course is that Blatche makes $3 mil a year while Gil makes over $16 mil. On top of that Gil was supposed to be the "leader" and face of the franchise. I'm not saying that the character flaws are any different between Gil and Blatche but you have to expect a lot more from Gil due to the amount of money he is paid and the fact that he is 5 years older than Blatche. Maybe that isn't fair but I think it goes along with the territory of receiving a max contract.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#9 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 23, 2010 1:27 pm

^- Thank You. So therefore, the day Blatche signs his MAX Contract extension, he will be judged differently in the eyes of Wizards fans I will assume.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,350

Post#10 » by nate33 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:^- Thank You. So therefore, the day Blatche signs his MAX Contract extension, he will be judged differently in the eyes of Wizards fans I will assume.

Of course he will. Look what happened to Etan. Everybody liked him when he was a bright, hardworking "grunt" player who was earning $1.5M a year. But after he signed his full MLE deal, he became a liability.

Blatche's deficiencies are overlooked because he is young and cheap. We mostly see his upside because we figure he'll grow out of his boneheadedness. And we don't worry about his inconsistency because he's still a big time value for the money. You can damn well be sure we'll judge him harder when he's a 25-year-old making $10M a year.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:58 pm

FAH1223 wrote::lol:

18 points

7 rebounds

2 assists

and a block

I don't understand why everybody disses his rebounding. If he grabs just 7 boards a game in 34+ minutes, I'll be pretty pissed. He better average at least 9 boards, and I won't really be happy with his rebounding unless he averages 10 boards per 36 minutes.

I expect 16 points, 10 boards and 3 assists on good efficiency. I don't think he can manage 20+ points because he'll get a lot fewer opportunities. The test for Blatche will be for him to contribute without being the primary focal point of the offense. Can he remain engaged on defense and on the glass if he isn't touching the ball on every offensive possession?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by nate33 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:It is definitely funny that Wizards fans are so casually able to ignore Blatche's character flaws. The man has way more issues than Arenas ever had, yet almost nobody thinks he has any kind of issues and he is such a great influence to have around young players.

Krisko Zero, I don't see this straw man you keep attacking. Very few on this board consider Arenas a poison or a cancer. That sentiment exists on the General board but not on the Wizards board. The people here who want him moved want him moved simply because he's overpaid and he is no longer the right fit as a 28-year-old PG on a team with a 19-year-old superstar PG and a couple of sub-23-year-old big men.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#13 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 23, 2010 2:09 pm

I'd argue he is a 28 year old SG who has been playing PG since he entered the league. He's never been given the chance to play full-time SG. All I want from the organization and Wizards fans is to give him the chance to fit in with Wall, give him the chance to play SG, give him the chance to rectify his wrong.

Not giving him the chance (from the start of this mess) is what angers me and is what I am posting against. Shipping Gilbert off now before he has the chance to right his wrongs, to me will be a huge mistake for this franchise.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#14 » by sfam » Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:I'd argue he is a 28 year old SG who has been playing PG since he entered the league. He's never been given the chance to play full-time SG. All I want from the organization and Wizards fans is to give him the chance to fit in with Wall, give him the chance to play SG, give him the chance to rectify his wrong.

Not giving him the chance (from the start of this mess) is what angers me and is what I am posting against. Shipping Gilbert off now before he has the chance to right his wrongs, to me will be a huge mistake for this franchise.

Lets be clear about this - if Gil is in the starting line-up next year, keeps his attitude right, and averages what he did last year, the fans will be fully supporting him by the trade deadline. If Gil is still able to close out games like he used to, very few here will be interested in trading him. On RealGm, the general board will have all sorts of "Gil can come to our team for a BOYD salami sandwich" trade scenarios. The general consensus will change.

But, if Gil's shot doesn't drop, or worse, he has significant and overt attitude problems, pretty much everyone will want his a** out of here.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by nate33 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:I'd argue he is a 28 year old SG who has been playing PG since he entered the league. He's never been given the chance to play full-time SG. All I want from the organization and Wizards fans is to give him the chance to fit in with Wall.

How many winning teams in this league start a SG shorter than 6-5?
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#16 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Okay, how many winning teams in NBA History have started a SG shorter than 6-5?

Just because every team searches for a Kobe-clone @ SG these days doesn't mean it's impossible to compete otherwise.

Allen Iverson played many years of winning basketball in this league @ the SG spot with a worse jump shot than Arenas.

Also, what is a winning team in the NBA? Someone with a +.500 regular season record? Success in the playoffs? Historical winning %? None of these are related, so what sort of winning team are you trying to be?

Then with, or without Arenas, do the Wizards figure to be a Winning team next season? Have the Wizards been a winning team throughout Arenas' tenure? Who was most responsible for that if so? Grunfeld? Eddie Jordan? Jamison? Butler??
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by sfam » Sun May 23, 2010 4:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
Krizko Zero wrote:I'd argue he is a 28 year old SG who has been playing PG since he entered the league. He's never been given the chance to play full-time SG. All I want from the organization and Wizards fans is to give him the chance to fit in with Wall.

How many winning teams in this league start a SG shirter than 6-5?

For championship teams, Joe Dumars comes to mind, as does Danny Ainge.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#18 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 23, 2010 4:31 pm

sfam wrote:
nate33 wrote:

How many winning teams in this league start a SG shirter than 6-5?

For championship teams, Joe Dumars comes to mind, as does Danny Ainge.

Pre-MJ there was many more shorter than 6-6 SG's.

Post-MJ every team thinks less than 6-6 = PG.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by sfam » Sun May 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:Pre-MJ there was many more shorter than 6-6 SG's.

Post-MJ every team thinks less than 6-6 = PG.

What about Jason Terry?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Terry doesn't start. And Dallas has the luxury of a big PG who can guard SG's just as well as he guards PG's.

And Dallas has been trying for years to find a bigger SG. It's one of the reasons they made the Butler trade because they thought Butler could handle SG.

Return to Washington Wizards