Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: OT- Michael Wilbon 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 4, 2010 1:57 pm

montestewart wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote:
If Arenas was walking down the street and a drunk driver jumped the curb and hit and killed him and a few other random pedestrians, Wilbon would say "I told you so."

Actually he would say: "It doesn't surprise me". Wilbon's reflex pose on almost any issue, basically his entire career, is based on a pose of seeming nonplussed. That's his signature superpower.

Unless Northwestern or some other delusion sends him into gush mode.

Wilbon does have amazing powers of hindsight. Doc really hit the nail on the head there.

- which doesn't surprise me. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#42 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 5, 2010 4:26 am

Who ?

Seriously. The only person that is a bigger douch then LaBron is Wilbon. Who did he blow to get a job. Oh yeah, Tony when he was somebody.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#43 » by yungal07 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:24 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#44 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:29 pm

:rofl: all it took was reading the headline....

(honestly though his article on Fisher recently wasn't all that terrible)
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,069

Post#45 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't like Wilbon but I don't know enough about baseball.

In a nutshell, I think Wilbon's saying relative to drafting another positional player #1, drafting the young pitcher first is a risk because he could develop arm or shoulder problems. NO WAY IN THE WORLD is him going over the top.

My only comment is I can't see how in the world, especially in football, that guys come in to the league as rookies making salaries higher than the average seasoned all star. Rookie wages should be capped more realitically IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#46 » by montestewart » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Considering the history of failure among pitchers picked #1, that article made sense. Considering the laughable non-credibility of the source in this case (constantly predicting the wrong thing and only occasionally, by accident, being right, and then saying "See, I told you so.") that article was a good addition to this thread. Eat crow, Wilbo. Thanks, yungal07.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#47 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Wilbon makes reasonable points, however, the biggest error in his initial argument is that he was comparing a high school pitcher from 1973 to a seasoned college pitcher in 2008. First, the training and medical advances from 1973 to 2008 are too incredible to even bother addressing. Second, every year there are a handful of phenom high school pitchers who go against weak competition and have spendid statistics. In every draft you'll find multiple prep pitchers who threw several no-hitters or shut outs, it happens all the time. I can't believed he used high school shut outs as an argument against taking Strasburg. Strasburg is a polished college pitcher who dominated the collegiate level like precious few before him. You can't make absolute statements based on prior years when you're dealing with a pitcher who has three plus-plus pitches (Fastball, curve, change) and a plus pitch (Slider).

He was playing devils advocate by being anti-hype and it's going to be a vicious egg in his face. It's kind of funny because Wilbon is the biggest sucker to hype out of any media goon's. He carries on about Lebron or any stupid sports accomplishment and immediately and thoughtlessly dubs it as 'best of all time', or the 'worst of all time'. He's become very ESPN.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#48 » by montestewart » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Really, comparing him to Wright was comical; as usual, any good point he has to make is drowned in a sea of flaming straw men and screaming hyperbole. Read his old articles: he's always overstated his case, waiting for ESPN to discover him.

Return to Washington Wizards