ImageImageImageImageImage

RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,243
And1: 637
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#61 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:Image

Available on Amazon. Link.


Who's the poet you say? Not me, no, someone a little wee bit more Lyrical than I. A little more suave. A little more Erniegrunfeldfanboy. Yes the Wizboard's very own Rico has put together a nifty lil chapbook. Support him, team! Buy a book!

Maybe if we bombard him with requests he'll drop an excerpt or two in the Poetry thread.

Seriously though congrats on your first published work Rico! Kick ass.

Who's next?


Nivek wrote:Congratulations, Rico!

doc: I MIGHT be next. Unless you beat me to it with a zombie book or something.


Thanks, guys! Definitely was a long time coming. Didn't want to toot my own horn, so thankfully doc isn't shy about tooting it for me. :D

Kev, I remember telling you around this time last year (when we were working on that football blog project) that I was about ready to publish then. But then I took a second look at my manuscript, hated it, and decided to re-write a lot of it. :P I'm glad I did, much happier with this version.

I'll see what I can do about posting an excerpt. My philosophy is "if a picture is worth a thousand words, than a thousand words can also draw a picture", so most of my pieces are extended story-telling types that might not work in this format (don't wanna look like WizNas above LOL). But I'll pick out an excerpt to post in a bit.
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#62 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 am

Nivek wrote:Congratulations, Rico!

doc: I MIGHT be next. Unless you beat me to it with a zombie book or something.


Eh. Too many things going on to beat you to anything. I'm busy teaching how to doodle, making money playing games, penning erotica for lonely housewives, and fighting crimes of violence and cruelty and disjustice where and when it raises its head. Too busy getting busy to make busy pay. But yeah I'm no fetishist for completion. Someday one or various of these things may find a final form for wider distribution, but meanwhile, duty calls.

LyricalRico wrote:Thanks, guys! Definitely was a long time coming. Didn't want to toot my own horn, so thankfully doc isn't shy about tooting it for me. :D
...

I'll see what I can do about posting an excerpt. My philosophy is "if a picture is worth a thousand words, than a thousand words can also draw a picture", so most of my pieces are extended story-telling types that might not work in this format (don't wanna look like WizNas above LOL). But I'll pick out an excerpt to post in a bit.


All that said, yeah its only fair if you have a talent to share it with the world, never know who might benefit from it. And stupid to do the work and then hide it. Guaranteed if I did publish something I'd get one of those alpine horns to blast it from the rooftops. Why the hell not?

Eager to read whatever you got though. Kev and double A. I siphon inspiration from watching friends accomplish and succeed, kicks me in the ass to commit and get serious about it. So drop anything you got in here, thanks!
fishercob
RealGM
Posts: 13,919
And1: 1,567
Joined: Apr 25, 2002
Location: Tenleytown, DC

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#63 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am

COngrats Rico! HUge accomplishment -- I hope you're pumped.

I look forward to your second book -- a compilation of proposals from the RealGM Trade Checker.

:-D
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,243
And1: 637
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#64 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:Eager to read whatever you got though. Kev and double A. I siphon inspiration from watching friends accomplish and succeed, kicks me in the ass to commit and get serious about it. So drop anything you got in here, thanks!


As requested...here's an excerpt from the second half of a poem called "Battlefield":

The battle rages on
In the shadow of the mount
As death reaps its harvest
In unspeakable amounts

Here all souls are equal
For both knight and squire
Bleed the same shade of red
In the muck and the mire

Such a waste of men
But their courage does not falter
Eager to offer themselves
Upon warfare’s grand altar

Eventually dusk overtakes them
And one force is defeated
Only to flee and gather strength
So this spectacle may be repeated

But for now the victors
Though battered and weary
Try to save their wounded brothers
On this evening so dreary

The blood still being spilled
From the slain all around
Appears to cry heavenward
As it soaks the thirsty ground

This land has been made sacred
By the lives it has reclaimed
And the mist rings with echoes
Of heroes and their fame

They live on through the poets
Who write the songs of their nation
And their valor will be declared
From generation to generation

To the triumphant go the spoils
And to death its yield
To the fallen goes the glory
On each and every battlefield


That's pretty representative of my style and what you could expect from the other pieces. Subjects like love, loss, disappointment, and making a new start in life are also covered.

Even if some of you guys aren't into the luvey-duvey stuff, I've gotten great feedback from my female friends who've heard/read my stuff. So if you've got anniversaries/b-days/etc coming up, it makes a great gift! :D
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#65 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Congratulations, LR.

I don't reveal my identity on this board (maybe I'll decide to one day...?), but I'm a poet. Have been all my life. A bunch of my books have been published, I've had poems in lots of magazines, etc., been in the Norton Anthology of Post-Modern Verse (first edition, as was inevitable the 2d edition is very different and I'm not in it), a few of the Best American Poetry annual volumes, and a couple of foreign language anthologies too (in translation...).

I'm also a lot older than you! :) I.e. I've had more time to pour water into the ocean of poetry. It's a thankless task, let me tell you, but... keep it up!!

There's a big poetry community in the DC area, lots of readings and other opportunities to meet, exchange ideas, etc. If you plan to keep writing, likely to be rewarding to check some of it out....? Good luck.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 12,627
And1: 4,881
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#66 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Eager to read whatever you got though. Kev and double A. I siphon inspiration from watching friends accomplish and succeed, kicks me in the ass to commit and get serious about it. So drop anything you got in here, thanks!


As requested...here's an excerpt from the second half of a poem called "Battlefield":

The battle rages on
In the shadow of the mount
As death reaps its harvest
In unspeakable amounts

Here all souls are equal
For both knight and squire
Bleed the same shade of red
In the muck and the mire

Such a waste of men
But their courage does not falter
Eager to offer themselves
Upon warfare’s grand altar

Eventually dusk overtakes them
And one force is defeated
Only to flee and gather strength
So this spectacle may be repeated

But for now the victors
Though battered and weary
Try to save their wounded brothers
On this evening so dreary

The blood still being spilled
From the slain all around
Appears to cry heavenward
As it soaks the thirsty ground

This land has been made sacred
By the lives it has reclaimed
And the mist rings with echoes
Of heroes and their fame

They live on through the poets
Who write the songs of their nation
And their valor will be declared
From generation to generation

To the triumphant go the spoils
And to death its yield
To the fallen goes the glory
On each and every battlefield


That's pretty representative of my style and what you could expect from the other pieces. Subjects like love, loss, disappointment, and making a new start in life are also covered.

Even if some of you guys aren't into the luvey-duvey stuff, I've gotten great feedback from my female friends who've heard/read my stuff. So if you've got anniversaries/b-days/etc coming up, it makes a great gift! :D

Impressive LR. Hold off on further excerpts. Make em order a copy. Like I did.
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#67 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:27 pm

payitforward wrote:Congratulations, LR.

I don't reveal my identity on this board (maybe I'll decide to one day...?), but I'm a poet. Have been all my life. A bunch of my books have been published, I've had poems in lots of magazines, etc., been in the Norton Anthology of Post-Modern Verse (first edition, as was inevitable the 2d edition is very different and I'm not in it), a few of the Best American Poetry annual volumes, and a couple of foreign language anthologies too (in translation...).

bla bla bla



Oh sure you're a poet now too... rolls eyes. Nobody believes you old man, until you actually risk some verse on these here pages. You are a figment of my imagination. A FIGMENT! FIG! MINT!

One a these:

Image
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,243
And1: 637
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#68 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 pm

:lol:

Nah, doc - I believe him. The way he's sliced-n-diced some of my trade scenarios was nothing short of poetic.

Congrats on all your success, PIF. Those are some nice accomplishments. I'll see where I take it from here, but I'd certainly like to continue. Maybe I'll do something in a different style, or transition to writing a song or two.

(Hmmm..."The Ballad of Ernie" has a nice ring to it... :D )
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,243
And1: 637
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#69 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 pm

fishercob wrote:COngrats Rico! HUge accomplishment -- I hope you're pumped.

I look forward to your second book -- a compilation of proposals from the RealGM Trade Checker.

:-D


Thanks, bro! I'm actually already working on converting my longest posts about 3 & 4 way trade ideas into iambic pentameter! LOL
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 37,999
And1: 5,209
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#70 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 pm

LyricalRico wrote::lol:

Nah, doc - I believe him. The way he's sliced-n-diced some of my trade scenarios was nothing short of poetic.

Congrats on all your success, PIF. Those are some nice accomplishments. I'll see where I take it from here, but I'd certainly like to continue. Maybe I'll do something in a different style, or transition to writing a song or two.

(Hmmm..."The Ballad of Ernie" has a nice ring to it... :D )

Speaking of ballads, that 2nd half o Battlefield has a nice beat to it. I could picture that being an epic song for a Metallica style band.

Btw, way to go Rico. I'm not a poetry guy, but that's good stuff.
"There's never an armed teacher around when you need one!" - montestewart
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,243
And1: 637
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#71 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:Speaking of ballads, that 2nd half o Battlefield has a nice beat to it. I could picture that being an epic song for a Metallica style band.

Btw, way to go Rico. I'm not a poetry guy, but that's good stuff.


It's funny that you mention the "beat" because years ago a group of my friends would regularly get together at a restaurant (now closed) for an open mic night and that's what inspired me to get serious about writing. I think that experience influenced my style so that even to this day I almost always write as if I were speaking the words aloud.

It's cool to know that, on at least some level, that comes through to the reader. Thanks!
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#72 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 am

payitforward wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
Brenice wrote:Stop rehashing the bad moves Ernie has made before you make yourself sick.

Time to look forward with optimism, not gloom.

I guess we can look backward with gloom.


This is for Lyrical Rico

Look Backward with Gloom

I see optimism as gloom
'cuz something in the room
that runs from womb to tomb
is back again too soon.

I see the man in the moon
sing the astronauts a tune
better even than you'n
any other guy can croon.

Does it make me a loon
to love a cartoon?
Though a fork may be a boon,
a fork is not a spoon.

I could write like this -- like a goon
til the sea washed every dune

but it's early afternoon
& I got stuff I should be doin'

:wink:
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#73 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 am

A slight rejoinder; de-glooming

Sure but squint at optimism
through a shard of rainbow prism
to diffract the focussed beam to many hues

and understand this tinted schizion
is essential to our vision
one cannot simply focus on the blues

you'se got to see the total spectrum
take your head out of your rectum
dont inspect your darkest depths for hidden clues

not squint through (fecaled) lenses
(if you'll pardon the parenses)
and see the crap in ALL you choose to views.

sometimes stuff is sucky
so long it turns to lucky
is not a fact that always needs to be poo-pooz'ed

If you're not so crappin' blind
you'd allow "That Rice's a find"
without finding ways that fact should be excused

True is true and it's our duty
to stand up off our booty
and cheer our lungs out for the fellows on our crew

not monkey grind that hurdy gurdy
on how much you distrust Ernie
since he's unsinkable, the hell you'z gonna do

ok that's all I'm gonna handle
and if you ask me to dismandle
well its probable I s'pose that I'll refuse

much as you like the fight
sometimes its best to not be right
when pessimism means you see just black and blues

but still pep up my friends
and hope for extrapolated trends
not what past happenstance portends
but
that all is passed now and been cleansed
scars debrided if not flensed
that whether you detracted or defends
this most mustachioed of mens
becomes irrelevant and when
you find the means led to those ends
through zigzags loops and bends
to: champagne upon the lens
and on the heads of sweaty mens
now crowned the champ-ee-ens
and you get to shrug and say your coda:
"That'll do..."

(right or wrong its been too long
since fat girl sung her song
hope we all live long enough 'til:
"That'll do...")

Hope we all live long enough to give that due.

go wiz
User avatar
AFM
General Manager
Posts: 8,347
And1: 4,516
Joined: May 25, 2012

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#74 » by AFM » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 am

brah that was hot


reminded me of nas illmaitic

thoughts of an assasin lead was hittin huckas one ran i made him backip
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#75 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 am

doclinkin wrote:A slight rejoinder; de-glooming

Sure but squint at optimism
through a shard of rainbow prism
to diffract the focussed beam to many hues

and understand this tinted schizion
is essential to our vision
one cannot simply focus on the blues

you'se got to see the total spectrum
take your head out of your rectum
dont inspect your darkest depths for hidden clues

not squint through (fecaled) lenses
(if you'll pardon the parenses)
and see the crap in ALL you choose to views.

sometimes stuff is sucky
so long it turns to lucky
is not a fact that always needs to be poo-pooz'ed

If you're not so crappin' blind
you'd allow "That Rice's a find"
without finding ways that fact should be excused

True is true and it's our duty
to stand up off our booty
and cheer our lungs out for the fellows on our crew

not monkey grind that hurdy gurdy
on how much you distrust Ernie
since he's unsinkable, the hell you'z gonna do

ok that's all I'm gonna handle
and if you ask me to disMandle
well its probable I s'pose that I'll refuse

much as you like the fight
sometimes its best to not be right
when pessimism means you see just black and blues

but still pep up my friends
and hope for extrapolated trends
not what past happenstance portends
but
that all is passed now and been cleansed
scars debrided if not flensed
that whether you detracted or defends
this most mustachioed of mens
becomes irrelevant and when
you find the means led to those ends
through zigzags loops and bends
to: champagne upon the lens
and on the heads of sweaty mens
now crowned the champ-ee-ens
and you get to shrug and say your coda:
"That'll do..."

(right or wrong its been too long
since fat girl sung her song
hope we all live long enough 'til:
"That'll do...")

Hope we all live long enough to give that due.

go wiz


doc you've unmasked me but most
won't see the bread behind the toast
tho they examine coast to coast

the words you used to roast
what few insights I can boast
I found where you did host.

As to all my criticisms
not to mention my witticisms
they mean to cause no schisms.

Since I gave up on contending
no one's ear have I been bending

about our Front Office
how they punt or miss.

If it's time I rest my case
and put a smile on my face
then it's time that you get off it
for where's the fun? where's the profit?


(That's gonna be it for me, kids! Unless someone writes a sestina.)
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#76 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:24 pm

doubled
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#77 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:24 pm

payitforward wrote:
doc you've unmasked me but most
won't see the bread behind the toast
tho they examine coast to coast

the words you used to roast
what few insights I can boast
I found where you did host.

As to all my criticisms
not to mention my witticisms
they mean to cause no schisms.

Since I gave up on contending
no one's ear have I been bending

about our Front Office
how they punt or miss.

If it's time I rest my case
and put a smile on my face
then it's time that you get off it
for where's the fun? where's the profit?


(That's gonna be it for me, kids! Unless someone writes a sestina.)


Deal! I will write a sestina and you will post in this thread consistently...
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#78 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:
doc you've unmasked me but most
won't see the bread behind the toast
tho they examine coast to coast

the words you used to roast
what few insights I can boast
I found where you did host.

As to all my criticisms
not to mention my witticisms
they mean to cause no schisms.

Since I gave up on contending
no one's ear have I been bending

about our Front Office
how they punt or miss.

If it's time I rest my case
and put a smile on my face
then it's time that you get off it
for where's the fun? where's the profit?


Deal! I will write a sestina and you will post in this thread consistently...

The technical term for what I'm writing here is 'doggerel' -- "Comic verse composed in irregular rhythm (sometimes but not necessarily) badly written or expressed." It can be a lot of fun to write, so w/o promising anything in particular I won't go silent. Do my best not to at least!

Look forward to the sestina.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
barelyawake
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,950
And1: 575
Joined: Aug 07, 2004

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#79 » by barelyawake » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 pm

My first time reading about this, Rico. Adulations and applause unto you. I know the feeling myself. Please post when/where you are doing readings, if you do. Would be interested to hear.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,243
And1: 637
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Th 

Post#80 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:46 pm

barelyawake wrote:My first time reading about this, Rico. Adulations and applause unto you. I know the feeling myself. Please post when/where you are do readings, if you do. Would be interested to hear.


Sorry, just seeing this. Thanks dude! I haven't done a reading in a while, but I'll definitely post the time/place if I do.

Return to Washington Wizards