ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Big 10 looking to steal Terps from the ACC?!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

southnc
Rookie
And1: 1

OT: Big 10 looking to steal Terps from the ACC?! 

Post#1 » by southnc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Rumors are flying as part of the conference realignments that the Big 10 would be interested in Maryland.

Although the Terps are an ACC charter member, the Big 10 would likely provide better returns ($$) and better Football competition, including nearby sister college Penn State.

Personally, other than Duke and maybe NC Chapel Hill (for basketball), I wouldn't miss any of the other ACC teams. I suppose we could still play Duke once per year in an out-of-conference game, if the two schools can work it out.

How does the rest of DC area fans feel?

Here are some references:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3851 ... he-big-ten
Maryland taps into the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. markets, and the University of Maryland is definitely an AAU member institution. Couple those neat facts with the close proximity to current Big Ten member Penn State and the potential new members in Rutgers, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse, and you have a very intriguing option for the Big Ten.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... on-target/

Plenty more on Google search.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: OT: Big 10 looking to steal Terps from the ACC?! 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:19 pm

I heard Andy/Czabe talking about this last week and I think it would be terrible. Granted, the ACC isn't what it used to be since they expanded, but completely doing away with the games against Duke/NC would kill the biggest reasons for me to follow the Terps. And why would MD even want tougher football competition when they already have trouble winning as it is?

All of this conference re-alignment stuff is about money and the way to boatloads of more money is staring them in the face: a football playoff. The fact that they would rather completely destroy entire conferences rather than just add one or two extra games for a football playoff is complete ridiculous. All of their argumaents against a playoff have gone right out the window with this obvious money-grab also known as re-alignment.

Return to Washington Wizards