ImageImageImageImageImage

Is anyone looking forward to watching Wall+McGee this year?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Gilfanatic123
Freshman
And1: 1

Is anyone looking forward to watching Wall+McGee this year? 

Post#1 » by Gilfanatic123 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 am

I have a feeling that the two will play very well together. Let's stop talking about if Gilbert Arenas can work with John Wall for a second. I believe they can- despite the fact that they play similarly (as we've seen from tonight's game, and, how they're both going to need the ball in their hands a lot).

I am excited for the Wall and McGee combo. John Wall can toss McGee alley-oops, like we saw tonight, and, Wall can go in for all the layups and do jumpshots... and make pretty fancy passes, and, McGee can back John Wall up if he fails.

I think the two should be able to work pretty well together. What are your thoughts?
To do list
==========
1. Fire Ernie Grunfield
2. Get a GM who doesn't screw the fans all the time
3. Beat the Cavaliers in the playoffs
4. Get the no.1 draft pick
5. Get John Wall
Joe_Wiz
Senior
And1: 5

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watching Wall+McGee this year? 

Post#2 » by Joe_Wiz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 am

I will enjoy watching Wall to McGee; I just hope it won't distract McGee from doing everything else he needs to do besides scoring.

I'm also looking forward to watching whether or not the mods lock or merge this thread. I don't think they need to, but there are other places this could be discussed, and they can be pretty picky about such things, so we'll see . . .
Gilfanatic123
Freshman

Post#3 » by Gilfanatic123 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 am

Yeah, I hope he still does all of those other things like rebounding and blocking shots too that we need him to do. I think they could be very fun to watch.

As for your second comment- I didn't see this discussed anywhere else, but, I see your point. We'll wait and see.
To do list
==========
1. Fire Ernie Grunfield
2. Get a GM who doesn't screw the fans all the time
3. Beat the Cavaliers in the playoffs
4. Get the no.1 draft pick
5. Get John Wall
Joe_Wiz
Senior

Post#4 » by Joe_Wiz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:53 am

Gilfanatic123 wrote:As for your second comment- I didn't see this discussed anywhere else, but, I see your point. We'll wait and see.

Summer League thread, I believe, but I can still see the point of this having its own thread. Hopefully we'll be happily talking about this subject for years to come.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#5 » by verbal8 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:55 am

Gilfanatic123 wrote:Yeah, I hope he still does all of those other things like rebounding and blocking shots too that we need him to do. I think they could be very fun to watch.

As for your second comment- I didn't see this discussed anywhere else, but, I see your point. We'll wait and see.

I didn't see the game, but it was promising to see McGee got 9 defensive rebounds. McGee may be one of those players who gets inspired to play defense when his offensive game is going. Ideally you want your players to play inspired defense all the time, but if McGee can just become an average defender, he can contribute a ton. I think the Wizards are very well set-up to run at a fast pace.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#6 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Who was that really tall skinny guy who played with CP3 and had a career year? McGee can do that.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#7 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Who was that really tall skinny guy who played with CP3 and had a career year? McGee can do that.

McGee has LOADS more potential than Chandler though.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:25 pm

I hope McGee understands that he's going to get most of his points on put backs, dunks and lob passes from Wall.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#9 » by cdouglas » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:50 pm

I think Wall and McGee played good together BUT I'm anxious to see Blatche in that group. The thought of Wall, Arenas, Blatche and McGee on the floor at the same time gives me goose bumps! I mean in that Celtics game, he gave both Garnett and Perkins problems. :D
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#10 » by rockymac52 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:20 pm

After watching the SL highlights of Wall and McGee, I realized that they're going to be quite special. This is Paul + Chandler only with more athleticism on both ends. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to say more skill as well.

One highlight alley oop in particular caught my attention, and got me thinking about a great way to work an alley oop for these two. If Wall can establish himself as a midrange shooter - I'm talking driving to the free throw line, taking a step back and nailing it - this play will work even better. Basically Wall does just that, he uses his speed to start to blow by the defender, but then takes a step back or stops on a dime to put up a shot, only he throws up a lob to McGee instead of taking the shot. The thing is, he does this in the form of a shot. So to all the defenders, and maybe our team as well (except for McGee), it looks like a typical midrange jumpshot, hopefully one that they've come to expect from Wall. Only Wall wasn't aiming for the basket, he was aiming for a place nearby the basket where only McGee can get to given his positioning relative to the defender(s). So McGee knows when to spot this, and while the other defenders are positioning themselves for the rebound, McGee knows better and flies above them before they even consider jumping, and thus has an easy alley oop.

I don't play enough basketball to be able to comment on the practicality of such a sequence of events, but my gut tells me Wall can make it happen. Thoughts?
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#11 » by Tonyism74 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I dont see why this thread would be locked...its an ego thing if it does.

As for Wall...ocne the league starts paying more attention defnesivley to him, alley oops should work..however, I dnt see MCGee being as atheltic as Chandler when he was running that with CP3 in NO.
Yes, im posting all over again!
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#12 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:27 pm

mcgee is definitely as athletic if not more than chandler. i just hope he channels his pogo hops for rebounds and blocks instead of calling for lobs. buckets will come with the flow of the game. rebounds won't. you make rebounds happen.

as for excitement, i agree with cdouglas that i'm more excited to see blatche and wall play a 2 man game than mcgee/wall. this might start to get nitpicky but wall/blatche and arenas/mcgee are better pairings for pnr situations than vice versa. gil's a bigger shooting threat, so his man should roll more often than not. wall's a penetration threat so his man should clear space out by popping out instead of rolling in. blatche pops better, mcgee rolls better. this isn't to say you can't have both guys attacking the rim, or have arenas penetrate. however, given each player's skills, i think the wall/blatche combo works better. also i think that with our all-nba 3rd teamer sitting in the wings, and a more talented big man in blatche, i'm not looking forward to seeing wall/mcgee at the top of the usg% list.
Bullets -> Wizards
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#13 » by dobrojim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm

as I posted over in the GS game thread - no one is going to
improve more due to the presence of Wall than McGee.

I love the idea of :

Wall
Gil
Booker
Blatche
McGee

not sure about Blatche but the rest of them are serious
greyhounds with sprinters speed. That group will change
ends in a big hurry. Should be fun to watch.

the one caveat on McGee's development is going to be
his cardio (as was mentioned in another thread by another
poster). That boy better get his wind into first order, top shelf
shape or he's going to be missing a lot of opportunities.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Joe_Wiz
Senior

Post#14 » by Joe_Wiz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:03 am

pancakes3 wrote:this might start to get nitpicky but wall/blatche and arenas/mcgee are better pairings for pnr situations than vice versa. gil's a bigger shooting threat, so his man should roll more often than not. wall's a penetration threat so his man should clear space out by popping out instead of rolling in. blatche pops better, mcgee rolls better. this isn't to say you can't have both guys attacking the rim, or have arenas penetrate. however, given each player's skills, i think the wall/blatche combo works better.

I had the same thought earlier today, though you explained it better than I would have. Add in the idea that you can have all four players on the court at the same time and run the pnr from either side depending on who the defenders are, and we could have a pretty nasty pnr offense.

Still, on the fast break and for eye-popping highlight reels, I think Wall to McGee is the thing to look for.
DubaLakers
Banned User

Post#15 » by DubaLakers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:49 am

damn wall is lightning, he has a 6th gear, he looks nice in the summer league, congrats

Return to Washington Wizards