Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: The Official Yi Jianlian Shrine 

Post#61 » by hands11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Yi screening up top. Then gets it in the post. Makes some moves. Missed. 1-10

Alley op Ramos, scores.

Yi is getting owned. He can't do anything against Ramos on offense.
Pollinator
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#62 » by Pollinator » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:38 pm

hands11 wrote:Yi is getting owned. He can't do anything against Ramos on offense.

I wish I could say I disagreed with the assessment above, but that's pretty much how it was.
Not a good omen. Getting owned by PJR does not bode well for one's prospects for NBA superstardom.

Bad shooting, bad rebounding, bad hands, bad energy, bad body language, bad defense, jawing with his teammates after giving up an easy two on a pick and roll. Maybe he was jet lagged or tired from playing team USA yesterday, but there were some red flags there. It was not unlike a vintage bad Kwame Brown game circa early 2000s.

Granted this is a game that doesn't count for anything but I don't think that was what anyone wanted to see from the kid. :(
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#63 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:50 am

Pollinator wrote:
hands11 wrote:Yi is getting owned. He can't do anything against Ramos on offense.

I wish I could say I disagreed with the assessment above, but that's pretty much how it was.
Not a good omen. Getting owned by PJR does not bode well for one's prospects for NBA superstardom.

Bad shooting, bad rebounding, bad hands, bad energy, bad body language, bad defense, jawing with his teammates after giving up an easy two on a pick and roll. Maybe he was jet lagged or tired from playing team USA yesterday, but there were some red flags there. It was not unlike a vintage bad Kwame Brown game circa early 2000s.

Granted this is a game that doesn't count for anything but I don't think that was what anyone wanted to see from the kid. :(

Well after getting exciting about McGee getting a team USA invite and getting pumped up watching him play summer ball with Wall, it seems I have just come full circle to the fact that...

We really need to get something from Seraphin if we hope to keep Dray at PF and have any depth at center. Dray is our best Center and Power forward. Behind him you have Seraphin and Armstrong as potential starters. Unless McGee really makes a ton of progress between now and the start of the season, I can't see how he will start or last long as the starting center.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#64 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:31 pm

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/15/chin ... l?rss=true

Carlos Arroyo scored 16 points to lead Puerto Rico to a 92-76 exhibition victory over China at Madison Square Garden on Sunday

China couldn't overcome its poor shooting (33 percent) and the dismal play of Yi Jianlian of the Washington Wizards, who shot 3 of 15 for 11 points.

:-?
Bye bye Beal.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#65 » by azuresou1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Yi is like the Chinese version of Al Harrington - likes every shot he sees, good enough that he can make some of them, not good enough to really be efficient with his shot selection.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#66 » by Dat2U » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Pollinator wrote:.

'

With Yi & Kwame, It's almost like there's no reservoir of confidence for these guys. When things go bad, they really go bad. Both Yi & Kwame are well-renowned for their exploits during practice but it rarely carried over in games either. In the NBA, outside of that rare game against Golden State or an occasional blowout, nothing is ever easy. So how do you help someone maintain their confidence when they've got a predisposition for failure whenever times get tough?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#67 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:24 am

^^ Spoon feed them easy buckets, wide open, in transition, or with a lead pass to an open lane; swing the ball to the other guy when you can see they aren't feeling it.

In otherwords: John Wall.
lovecats
Banned User

Post#68 » by lovecats » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:43 am

Pollinator wrote:
hands11 wrote:Yi is getting r4i gold owned. He can't do anything against Ramos on offense.

Yi's basketball IQ is not good. Disappointed.
301baller
Ballboy

Post#69 » by 301baller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Yi is TERRIBLE. this guy is the worst 7 footer i ever seen. WTF are you doing Ernie? Why did we trade for this bum instead of just resigning Oberto?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#70 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 pm

301baller wrote:Yi is TERRIBLE. this guy is the worst 7 footer i ever seen. WTF are you doing Ernie? Why did we trade for this bum instead of just resigning Oberto?

I'm guessing they didn't sign Oberto because he's old and terrible with no potential to improve. Other than that, he's swell.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
301baller
Ballboy

Post#71 » by 301baller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:
301baller wrote:Yi is TERRIBLE. this guy is the worst 7 footer i ever seen. WTF are you doing Ernie? Why did we trade for this bum instead of just resigning Oberto?

I'm guessing they didn't sign Oberto because he's old and terrible with no potential to improve. Other than that, he's swell.

Yi is young and terrible with no potential to improve. what's the difference?
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#72 » by azuresou1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Seriously? Do you really not see the difference?

Games >=20 points
Yi: 13
Oberto: 2

Games >= 10 rebounds
Yi: 22
Oberto: 13

Oberto: 35

Per 36 numbers:
Yi: 13.6 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 1.0APG, 0.8 STL, 1.1 BLK, 1.7 TO, 3.7 PF
Oberto: 4.6 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.6 STL, 0.5 BLK, 2.0 TO, 6.7 PF

If you really don't see the difference, you probably should just give up on life.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#73 » by DaRealHibachi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:26 pm

^^^ Plus the fact that we got him (6th pick) for Ross... :-? I don't really see what the problem is...
:beer: Magnumt
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#74 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Taking into account the 3 million Russian rubles thrown in the duffel, Yi was basically an alchemical transmogrification of Quintin Ross into a taller Asian format. It's "lead into bauxite ore" rather than gold, but the principle still applies.

There might have been better options, *erhum*, but in real dollar terms there was absolutely nothing cheaper than Yi, and that includes the vet minimum signings (unless Ross does something for you).

Well, of course, Singleton wouldn't have cost much more, so we might be ill-advised in stitching our britches together with thread we fashioned from the lint in our bellybuttons, but that's beside the point. We're talking "Why?", not "Wise?". It remains to be seen if this bargain bin gambit will go down as a fine instance of Fun Street frugality come to fruition or as the dented can that put cholera in the stew, but........it can be sure that we did not arrive at the absolute cheapest option by following a random charter. It was Yi for free.

Some would say that it cost cap space, but my sense is that this would have been a particularly piddling asset at the deadline this year with just about everyone but the real contenders having their books in fine order and a few teams well under the cap and/or with TPE's.

I also still hold out that there will be some endorsement money for Wall with both he and Yi having the same agent. I don't see how that wouldn't come to something.
301baller
Ballboy

Post#75 » by 301baller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Seriously? Do you really not see the difference?

Games >=20 points

Games >= 10 rebounds

Per 36 numbers:

If you really don't see the difference, you probably should just give up on life.

dude i don't give a f about those stats. that's meaningless. this team needs defense more than another soft punk ass 7 footer. Yi looked like trash against a bum who got ran outta the league. why do u think the Nets were so ecstatic to get rid of him??

so now you think becuz Yi's sorry ass had a couple good games that his BUM ass is worth $4 million/yr when OBERTO plays for the minimum and plays defense???? you're (Please Use More Appropriate Word)
KevinFCheng
Sophomore

Post#76 » by KevinFCheng » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 pm

dude i don't give a f about those stats. that's meaningless. this team needs defense more than another soft punk ass 7 footer. Yi looked like trash against a bum who got ran outta the league. why do u think the Nets were so ecstatic to get rid of him??

so now you think becuz Yi's sorry ass had a couple good games that his BUM ass is worth $4 million/yr when OBERTO plays for the minimum and plays defense???? you're (Please Use More Appropriate Word)

Someone needs a time out.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#77 » by azuresou1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:05 pm

301baller wrote:

Games >=20 points

Games >= 10 rebounds

Per 36 numbers:

It's meaningless that Yi scores, rebounds, and plays better defense? Oberto only plays limited minutes for a reason, because his only tangible NBA skill is fouling hard. Nets were glad to trade him because they thought they could be major FA players - they also turned down Beasley + a pick for Keyon Dooling.

I like how you call me (Please Use More Appropriate Word) when you type like a drunk brain dead middle school dropout. Get out, Ballboy.
301baller
Ballboy

Post#78 » by 301baller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:22 pm

azuresou1 wrote:
301baller wrote:

Games >=20 points

Games >= 10 rebounds

Per 36 numbers:

It's meaningless that Yi scores, rebounds, and plays better defense? Oberto only plays limited minutes for a reason, because his only tangible NBA skill is fouling hard. Nets were glad to trade him because they thought they could be major FA players - they also turned down Beasley + a pick for Keyon Dooling.

I like how you call me (Please Use More Appropriate Word) when you type like a drunk brain dead middle school dropout. Get out, Ballboy.

yi scores, are you serious? do you watch basketball or do you skim thru it? if Yi scores and rebounds so much why did the Nets give him away for a bag of potato chips? his rebounding and blocking out skills are nonexistent. what i saw sunday was pathetic. This guy's a 7 footer and was getting muscled and pushed around on the court. GREAT that's just what we need. Another soft 7 footer in the frontcourt. That'll help us get to the playoffs.

<Please refrain from personal attacks. WizStorm>
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#79 » by azuresou1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Why did the Nets turn down Beasley + a pick for Keyon Dooling? I'll give you a hint: it's not because of talent. Again, it's funny that you claim I don't watch basketball when clearly you saw Yi for the first time recently while I've probably watched him play 30 times last year, courtesy of League Pass.

You mad, ballboy?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#80 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Defilers have entered the sacred shrine!

Return to Washington Wizards