ImageImageImageImageImage

Wall named Summer League M.O.P.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Re: Wall named Summer League M.O.P. 

Post#21 » by rockymac52 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:49 am

I think he'll be a mix of the two. He'll get 3-4 more assists per game than Wade, but he'll be a much better scorer than Paul/Williams when it's all said and done.

I think Wall showed us in his last summer league game that not only can he easily average close to 10 apg and lead his team to victories, but he can take over a game and score with the best of 'em. I love how he attacks the basket and gets to the hoop with ease. It's simple basketball. Get to the free throw line, sink 'em, play defense and pass to get your teammates easy buckets. Wall's going to be special, I can't wait for the start of the season!
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#22 » by Illuminaire » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:02 am

And this is BEFORE he can shoot beyond 20 feet.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#23 » by dangermouse » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:52 am

Some of his defensive plays impressed me the most, even the way he just hounds his man. Hes going to get under the skin of a lot of NBA PG's and SG's from day 1. And boy oh boy those steals in the NOH game... That one he made in the back court by himself and then took it in for the left handed dunk, the ball carrier didnt even know what happened until he was gone, he just seemed to come out of nowhere.

His speed and instincts are off the charts, I dont remember seeing one SL game where he gambled on a steal and had it backfire on him. Its more likely to happen against the real teams, but its still very impressive.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#24 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Illuminaire wrote:And this is BEFORE he can shoot beyond 20 feet.

Good thing is he knows this is a primary weakness, and it clearly irritates him. Check his response when Elie Seckbach asks if he plans to unveil his underhand scoop three pointer in a game:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqv5SEmoM1I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#25 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:47 pm

HAHAHA. flip saunders is not amused. this guy is a clown, but i say that out of bitter, raw jealousy. i wish i could just take a handheld and waltz into locker rooms and get exclusives with everybody. he's got some pretty in depth stuff like that Kobe bet, and gil/butler/tawn in the training room, etc.

oh yeah, ray drilled that 3 sitting down? pretty impressive. man... so pumped for the season, can't wait to get to some games. DO THE JOHN WALL DANCE!
Bullets -> Wizards
dropshot001
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#26 » by dropshot001 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm

he should be named that, he was the first pick
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#27 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I wish Elie had voiced over the Javale VSL You Tube clip instead of the somnabulist, doc.
Bye bye Beal.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#28 » by dangermouse » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:31 am

I think his only competition for ROY will probably be Evan Turner, Tiago Splitter and maybe another immediate impact player like DeMarcus or Monroe, with a healthy Blake Griffin as a dark horse.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#29 » by verbal8 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:06 am

dangermouse wrote:I think his only competition for ROY will probably be Evan Turner, Tiago Splitter and maybe another immediate impact player like DeMarcus or Monroe, with a healthy Blake Griffin as a dark horse.

I think ROY is most likely be Cousins or Wall. Paul George and Ed Davis would be my dark horses.

I know it is only Summer League, but I think Evan Turner's struggles mean he will have an adjustment period to the NBA.

I think Patterson, Splitter and James Anderson could make important impacts on their teams, but I don't think they will have the minutes and stats to be in the running.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#30 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 pm

I think ROY will be between Wall and Griffin. I think Cousins will play well but foul trouble will limit his minutes.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

montestewart wrote:
hands11 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Wall led SL in scoring and in assists.

A lot of comparisons have between Wall and Wade, Wall and Derrick Rose, and even Wall and Gary Payton. Those all apply IMO. I will throw one more out there.

The last player to lead the league in both scoring and assists was Nate Archibald. Wall's much bigger, much better defensively, and more athletic than Tiny Archibald; but he has similar ability as both a scorer and a set up player.

When Wall develops his midrange and gets a floater shot, he will become a legit candidate to lead the league in both assists and scoring, Like Archibald did some 30 years ago.

Just curious. How did his team do that year. For some reason, that doesn't sound like a winning combo.

You might be right, but the numbers are not so different from Oscar Robertson's numbers. Archibald replaced Robertson on the Royals when Robertson was traded to the Bucks (where he finally won a championship with Kareem). Robertson was a much better rebounder and defender than Tiny, but the Royals were going nowhere even with one of the greatest PGs ever (averaged a triple double over the course of his first five seasons). Other than Robertson, and Archibald after Robertson, the Royals were generally not that good, and soon became the Kings and migrated west like pioneers that overslept.

And don't y'all go knocking Don Kojis. He was part of the big Rod Thorn for Bob Ferry trade in '64. Turned the Bullets right around.

I love the old-school name-dropping. Back when I was a little kid, I wanted to be Lew Alcindor - diligently practicing the sky hook when I was barely 4 feet tall. That's how I became a Bucks fan (which makes a certain poster here question my alegiance to the Wiz) - not to mention a Bobby Dandridge fan before he came to the Bullets. But I've given up the hope of growing to 7'3.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards