Championship: why not, or how. Strategy, tactics, best hopes

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Championship: why not, or how. Strategy, tactics, best hopes 

Post#181 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Not to be Flip, but if you don't have the talent, you can have the greatest coach in the world with the greatest systems in the world and the greatest philosophies in the world, and it doesn't matter. If you do have the talent, you can have a mediocre coach and have the best record in the NBA for the last 2 seasons. We saw that in Cleveland - when their coach got fired - and they didn't even have the best talent in the NBA. It's talent talent talent - blended well... and then a competent coaching staff. Does anyone really believe Doc Rivers is a genius? What he is is competent.

Speaking of which, it doesn't take a genius to see the big weakness in the Zards - it's a prime thing you look for in all major sports - defense up the middle. If you have the interior defender, it makes it a helluvalot easier for your perimeter defenders to stay at home and cover their men. That's why the Celtics matched up well against Orlando - they could cover Howard man on man. It's the talent that allows you to play the system. We need that guy that allows us to change the system. That's the strategy.

One player I've ignored as a free agency acquisition target tactic just happens to be a UFA next offseason and... the unquestioned starting center on the US basketball team. Tyson Chandler. He's the one of the Kwame, Eddy and Tyson group that hasn't failed. He's never been a star because he doesn't do much more than dunk and set picks on offense, and he's had back problems. Dikembe Mutumbo didn't do much on offense, either, and he was pretty decent. It was only when NO had a healthy Chandler that Chris Paul's team had any success - not a coincidence. Sign Chandler, package Javale for a big-time wing scorer/defender, and then worry about coaching and systems.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#182 » by doclinkin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:Speaking of which, it doesn't take a genius to see the big weakness in the Zards - it's a prime thing you look for in all major sports - defense up the middle.
package Javale for a big-time wing scorer/defender,

Game-changing interior Big; dynamic two-way perimeter player. We've been through that part already. We're into the 'what-else' part, come on man, keep up. :clown:

I'm doubtful that though that the formula as simple as Tyson Chandelier = Championship. (Though maybe Tyson plus Kobe or Durant, okay). Big boy is fragile, brittle. Hell USA Ball has to carry JaVale as his understudy since there's a realistic fear that he won't be able to finish the tour in Turkey. History as a guideline.

I'd also submit that bone-headed as he is, JV ain't all that much worse than Tyson at the same age. A few more fouls, fewer boards, but when playing well both change shots and intimidate on the block. Consider that McGee stands to improve now that he's getting medical care for the asthma, same as Tyson did when his asthma was diagnosed and treated. Less silly fouls trying to check himself out of the game to get rest. Plus you know, they use steroid inhalers to treat asthma, so clearly dude is gonna get jacked up and bulky...

That said:

Ruzious wrote:Not to be Flip, but if you don't have the talent, you can have the greatest coach in the world with the greatest systems in the world and the greatest philosophies in the world, and it doesn't matter. If you do have the talent, you can have a mediocre coach and have the best record in the NBA for the last 2 seasons. We saw that in Cleveland - when their coach got fired - and they didn't even have the best talent in the NBA. It's talent talent talent - blended well... and then a competent coaching staff. Does anyone really believe Doc Rivers is a genius? What he is is competent.

Doc Rivers is no genius. He's a solid player-motivator who lucked into three late-career veterans desperate to win, battling years of naysayers, willing to play team ball to earn credit.

But Tom Thibodeaux on the other hand...

The Celts won more than a few series because Tommy Tippytoe knows how to tweak and make adjustments to deny and defy what the other team does best. So long as he had Perkins, Rondo and KG he could cover for whomever else he has out there. The Celts won't win many series in the post season anymore now that T2 is in Chicago. And look for the RedBulls to begin strangling teams on defense.

At the highest echelon Coaching makes all the difference in two respects: adjustments in the post season and motivation in the regular season.

Doc Rivers basically knows how to get out of his own way and let his stars do their thing. In KG he had an internal combustion engine of motivation willing to make Big Babies cry if they wouldn't man up and play to his standards. With KG doing all the shouting Doc could afford to play Good Cop. Ubuntu. Lovey dovey. His motivation is his better skill.

This works fine with an oncourt leader. Phil Jax is decent on in-game adjustments, but he's a master at managing personalities at a squad level. Has an intuitive sense of when to give players leash, and when to reel them in a little. He knows how to massage the end of his bench and get productive minutes deep into the dregs of his roster by putting them in critical minutes during th regular season. Players 14 deep know at any second he may put them out there, and leave them in long enough to play through their mistakes. He'll call the number of a roleplayer in the regular season, and have a ready play that features them, to encourage them to buy in, stay focused. But he's always had an MJ or Kobe as his in-game and lockerroom enforcer. He could afford a Rodman or Artest because he had superlative alpha-wolves to bark the sleddogs back into line. He can risk a little friction to keep things active, feisty.

By contrast Pat Riley knew he only had a 3 year window on any team before players would begin to tune out his motivating techniques. X's and Os were fine, but his primary motivator was always himself. There's a limited number of times you can manipulate someones emotions before they start feeling jerked around. He's not a very genuine seeming person, but he's a master manipulator. And Riles trusts only a few proven players to get it done when it counts. He won't put up with the year long grind to try and motivate the entire roster throughout the lenght of an 82game season when the games only really matter in the late Spring.

Then there's guys like Larry Brown who know they can only win when they recruit players who can put up with his nitpicking perfectionism, players who have the capacity to learn and the patience to endure him. He'll swap out players every year to suit his needs and keep it fresh, and when he's overstayed his welcome in the motivation and teaching end, he'll look for the escape hatch. Cut one with a blowtorch and make his own escape if he has to.

But Cleveland didn't win a championship now did they? You honestly think if that squad had Larry Brown they wouldn't have managed to win a few games in that finals series? You don't think Riley or PJax could have massaged a better performance out of those role players? Of course talent is necessary, but who is developing that talent, and how? It's not immaterial.

I respect Flip Saunders. He's got a really good grasp on how to adjust in the flow, has an offensive system that is proven, if quite possibly flawed. I'm concerned that players under his watch may develop some bad habits, that he may spotlight and award certain skillsets that don't prove winning ball in postseason play when the rules change a bit. That players like JaVale would prefer to play the glory positions and get the praise that Flip reserves only for his husband Garnett. I have niggling concerns that he doesn't have a good focus on the Bigs, how to encourage and develop the interior play. I have some mild certainty that he doesn't trust players to do their own thing, doesn't adjust to his players best strengths to allow talent its head, doesn't perhaps maximize the potential he has. Doesn't encourage them to develop it in the right way. That he doesn't perhaps develop talent, he expects them to already be there.

But maybe our young puppies haven't earned their freedom off-leash. He's a very good coach, better than competent in the X's and O's aspect, and maybe his flaws as a leader (carping, selling out players to the media etc) will be minimized by the addition of a natural leader like Johnny Ballgame.

I'm looking forward to improvement of the squad. But I actually think that long-term a trained and experienced Sammy Cassell would prove to have the better temperament for the job.

For that reason I want Mister Ted to by us a local Minor League squad, and salt Sammy away on that bench to season, with a significantly well-paid contract and appreciation and love from the front office. He'll be near enough at hand that he can consult with Flip, use the same practice courts, run his squad against the Big Boys as a scout team perhaps.

Then when Flip inevitably wears out his welcome, we can 'Boudreaux' Sammy into place and win from there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#183 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:28 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Speaking of which, it doesn't take a genius to see the big weakness in the Zards - it's a prime thing you look for in all major sports - defense up the middle.
package Javale for a big-time wing scorer/defender,

Game-changing interior Big; dynamic two-way perimeter player. We've been through that part already. We're into the 'what-else' part, come on man, keep up. :clown:

Me not keeping up is by design - since the discussion has lost its focus on anything significant to building toward a top team. If you want to talk strategies toward building a .500 team, then you're on the right track. A personnel view is the only way to get to where everyone but once poster wants the Wiz to get to. Once you get adequate personnel, then the other stuff might have some significance, and I'll try my bestest to keep up.

I'm doubtful that though that the formula as simple as Tyson Chandelier = Championship. (Though maybe Tyson plus Kobe or Durant, okay). Big boy is fragile, brittle. Hell USA Ball has to carry JaVale as his understudy since there's a realistic fear that he won't be able to finish the tour in Turkey. History as a guideline.

I'd also submit that bone-headed as he is, JV ain't all that much worse than Tyson at the same age. A few more fouls, fewer boards, but when playing well both change shots and intimidate on the block. Consider that McGee stands to improve now that he's getting medical care for the asthma, same as Tyson did when his asthma was diagnosed and treated. Less silly fouls trying to check himself out of the game to get rest. Plus you know, they use steroid inhalers to treat asthma, so clearly dude is gonna get jacked up and bulky...

Of course, I didn't say anything as simple as Chandler = Championship. As far as that's concerned, it's also irrelevant whether or not Chandler is a better player than Javale. What's relevant is that we don't have a player that comes close to doing the things on defense and the boards that Chandler does. Both Blatche and Javale might or might not be better players than Chandler, but that doesn't really matter when you can't win with both of them starting.

Where it does matter is trading value. As you pointed out - and I concur - Javale has great potential. Therefore, he has a helluvalotto trade value. He just doesn't provide the 2 things we need next to Blatche - interior defense and rebounding. The trade value is why you trade him - because hopefully you can at least package him to get your primary shooter/perimeter defender - someone in the mold of a Granger or Roy.

That said:

Ruzious wrote:Not to be Flip, but if you don't have the talent, you can have the greatest coach in the world with the greatest systems in the world and the greatest philosophies in the world, and it doesn't matter. If you do have the talent, you can have a mediocre coach and have the best record in the NBA for the last 2 seasons. We saw that in Cleveland - when their coach got fired - and they didn't even have the best talent in the NBA. It's talent talent talent - blended well... and then a competent coaching staff. Does anyone really believe Doc Rivers is a genius? What he is is competent.

Doc Rivers is no genius. He's a solid player-motivator who lucked into three late-career veterans desperate to win, battling years of naysayers, willing to play team ball to earn credit.

But Tom Thibodeaux on the other hand...

The Celts won more than a few series because Tommy Tippytoe knows how to tweak and make adjustments to deny and defy what the other team does best. So long as he had Perkins, Rondo and KG he could cover for whomever else he has out there. The Celts won't win many series in the post season anymore now that T2 is in Chicago. And look for the RedBulls to begin strangling teams on defense.

At the highest echelon Coaching makes all the difference in two respects: adjustments in the post season and motivation in the regular season.

Doc Rivers basically knows how to get out of his own way and let his stars do their thing. In KG he had an internal combustion engine of motivation willing to make Big Babies cry if they wouldn't man up and play to his standards. With KG doing all the shouting Doc could afford to play Good Cop. Ubuntu. Lovey dovey. His motivation is his better skill.

This works fine with an oncourt leader. Phil Jax is decent on in-game adjustments, but he's a master at managing personalities at a squad level. Has an intuitive sense of when to give players leash, and when to reel them in a little. He knows how to massage the end of his bench and get productive minutes deep into the dregs of his roster by putting them in critical minutes during th regular season. Players 14 deep know at any second he may put them out there, and leave them in long enough to play through their mistakes. He'll call the number of a roleplayer in the regular season, and have a ready play that features them, to encourage them to buy in, stay focused. But he's always had an MJ or Kobe as his in-game and lockerroom enforcer. He could afford a Rodman or Artest because he had superlative alpha-wolves to bark the sleddogs back into line. He can risk a little friction to keep things active, feisty.

By contrast Pat Riley knew he only had a 3 year window on any team before players would begin to tune out his motivating techniques. X's and Os were fine, but his primary motivator was always himself. There's a limited number of times you can manipulate someones emotions before they start feeling jerked around. He's not a very genuine seeming person, but he's a master manipulator. And Riles trusts only a few proven players to get it done when it counts. He won't put up with the year long grind to try and motivate the entire roster throughout the lenght of an 82game season when the games only really matter in the late Spring.

Then there's guys like Larry Brown who know they can only win when they recruit players who can put up with his nitpicking perfectionism, players who have the capacity to learn and the patience to endure him. He'll swap out players every year to suit his needs and keep it fresh, and when he's overstayed his welcome in the motivation and teaching end, he'll look for the escape hatch. Cut one with a blowtorch and make his own escape if he has to.

But Cleveland didn't win a championship now did they? You honestly think if that squad had Larry Brown they wouldn't have managed to win a few games in that finals series? You don't think Riley or PJax could have massaged a better performance out of those role players? Of course talent is necessary, but who is developing that talent, and how? It's not immaterial.

I respect Flip Saunders. He's got a really good grasp on how to adjust in the flow, has an offensive system that is proven, if quite possibly flawed. I'm concerned that players under his watch may develop some bad habits, that he may spotlight and award certain skillsets that don't prove winning ball in postseason play when the rules change a bit. That players like JaVale would prefer to play the glory positions and get the praise that Flip reserves only for his husband Garnett. I have niggling concerns that he doesn't have a good focus on the Bigs, how to encourage and develop the interior play. I have some mild certainty that he doesn't trust players to do their own thing, doesn't adjust to his players best strengths to allow talent its head, doesn't perhaps maximize the potential he has. Doesn't encourage them to develop it in the right way. That he doesn't perhaps develop talent, he expects them to already be there.

But maybe our young puppies haven't earned their freedom off-leash. He's a very good coach, better than competent in the X's and O's aspect, and maybe his flaws as a leader (carping, selling out players to the media etc) will be minimized by the addition of a natural leader like Johnny Ballgame.

I'm looking forward to improvement of the squad. But I actually think that long-term a trained and experienced Sammy Cassell would prove to have the better temperament for the job.

For that reason I want Mister Ted to by us a local Minor League squad, and salt Sammy away on that bench to season, with a significantly well-paid contract and appreciation and love from the front office. He'll be near enough at hand that he can consult with Flip, use the same practice courts, run his squad against the Big Boys as a scout team perhaps.

Then when Flip inevitably wears out his welcome, we can 'Boudreaux' Sammy into place and win from there.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing there philosophically. When the talent is here and has developed, then worry about whether or not Flip can win us a championship. Flip has an excellent record of developing talented players. It's under his guidance that Blatche reached new heights even if he was a widdle bit mean to his pupil. As raw as Javale is, he has come a long way with Flip as a coach - even if the stats haven't shown it. He's had 3 of the stupidest young talented players that I've ever seen in the NBA - Dre, Jav, and Young were complete basketball clowns/idiots/morons. I think that's known throughout the Association, but that inconvenient truth is swept under the rug here. Flip is slowly but surely turning them into basketball players. To develop those 3, sometimes ya gotta take a visit to The Island of Dr. Moreau (sp?) for a vivisection treatment or 2. It's not a job for the squeamish, so if ya don't like a little screaming now and then, turn away. But let Flip do his job if you really want results.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#184 » by doclinkin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Ruzious wrote: It's the talent that allows you to play the system. We need that guy that allows us to change the system.

Consider also that Coach & System have input and effect on roster decisions. Especially under Ernie, who says he cannot properly judge a Coach until you have landed the players they need for their system. This tends to mean that you may land a Pecherov while trying for a back-up to Jamison and ignore a Rondo who can't shoot from outside and doesn't spread the floor. Or you don't notice or develop a Haywood since he can't shoot or pass and doesn't rebound as well as he might.

Or in the case of Flip, you try to run Caron as a catch-and-shoot 2-guard instead of an undersized but tough true small forward with a solid dribble-drive attack.

That said, a good metrics department will help you dodge these problems. Reading between the lines Ted likes stat guy Wayne Winston, who most recently statted for Mark Cuban, and Dave Berri of Wages of Wins. My understanding is that Winston no longer works for Cuban anyway. I'm not sure if Berri is on retainer to anyone.

Winston is an adherent to WINVAL adjusted +/- stats, running regressions to iso a player irrespective of the effect of the teammates they play with. Berri is interested in his Win Shares system. The ABPRMetrics community has questions and arguments with both, but they love that sort of dust-up. I'm interested enough to read along, while lacking the patience and aptitude to double check the figures.

For what that's worth Winston absolutely adores Brendan Haywood, and thinks Dallas would have advanced if they played Caron at SF and Haywood more often.

Given this information we would have recommended for the season that the Mavs allocate minutes as follows:

* 5 Position: Haywood 28 minutes, Dirk 7 minutes Najera/Dampier 13 minutes
* 4 Position: Dirk 32 minutes Marion 16 minutes
* 3 Position: Butler 30 min Marion 15 minutes Roddy B 3 minutes
* 2 Position : Terry 36 minutes Roddy B 12 minutes
* 1 Position Kidd 35 minutes Barea 13 minutes

On the other hand Winston's system was recently laughed at in the stat community because of his statement that he wouldn't take Durant for free if offered up. Then of course KD blew up. Nobody's perfect.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Now that Dallas got Chandler to go with Haywood, I'll be very interested to see how they use them - and if they play them some together. Either would be a great addition to the Wiz. If all of Dallas' aging vets go over the hill this season, maybe they have a yard sale. But given the length of Haywood's deal and his age, Dallas would have to give the Wiz something to take him. I'll take Dominique Jones - their rookie 6'4 215ish lb power hybrid guard, thank you.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#186 » by pancakes3 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 pm

this is really a headscratcher for me, especially since neither players' track records of competing for a starting spot - chandler with curry, and wood with the poet - are good.
Bullets -> Wizards
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#187 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 am

doclinkin wrote:I respect Flip Saunders. He's got a really good grasp on how to adjust in the flow, has an offensive system that is proven, if quite possibly flawed. I'm concerned that players under his watch may develop some bad habits, that he may spotlight and award certain skillsets that don't prove winning ball in postseason play when the rules change a bit. That players like JaVale would prefer to play the glory positions and get the praise that Flip reserves only for his husband Garnett. I have niggling concerns that he doesn't have a good focus on the Bigs, how to encourage and develop the interior play. I have some mild certainty that he doesn't trust players to do their own thing, doesn't adjust to his players best strengths to allow talent its head, doesn't perhaps maximize the potential he has. Doesn't encourage them to develop it in the right way. That he doesn't perhaps develop talent, he expects them to already be there.

I like the way you say what you just said, doc. That's what makes you you. You can articulate with pinpoint precision and with a thorough explanation. You make your point but not in a dunderheaded way.

All you just said: +1

My version of that would be something to the effect of "I'm concerned that Flip won't let guys play their own game, that he's a bit of a hater and an over-regulator, and that he disses guys who don't do it his way to the extent that he penalizes guys that CAN get it done, but he's just not good enough to see it."

I feel very good about this season because I think Flip will bounce back because there are no stale veterans to pander to. However, I still remember the short bench and "stick to the system". The coach that insists on those is NOT the coach for this team.

One reason I wanted Cousins to be drafted is I could see that big problem child running Flip off, and the team being better for it. Honestly, it doesn't matter because the same's true, and even more so with John Wall.

Flip crosses up Wall and Flip will lose that one. I am thinking, however, that Wall being a PG is JUST RIGHT to learn under Flip and Sam. I know Hinrich is going to prosper under Flip. And what many don't think about is Gilbert had his highest assist ratios as a player last season under Flip. He earned Flip's respect.

The only guys I'm concerned about on this team are Blatche (don't think he and Flip are chums), McGee, Young, and Yi. Flip has to see Andray's a bit of a stud player, but he and his best frontcourt player had an ugly falling out that aired out publicly. Blatche IMO has reason to not trust Flip, and, possibly, vice versa. McGee and Young I think Flip cannot stand. Yi is not a defender. Those are all concerns.

This team's going to be really good, however, when Howard comes back. Much better than predictions in the 20s and low 30s.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#188 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:30 am

pancakes3 wrote:this is really a headscratcher for me, especially since neither players' track records of competing for a starting spot - chandler with curry, and wood with the poet - are good.

Seems like Chandler will be on his way someplace else...again... in a year or so.

Not sure he is ready to be a full time back up. Now if they win it all, maybe he settles in but after two years, he will going to want to start again if he can stay healthy. Great insurance for this season though. If Haywood isn't ready to except a bench role after two year, you have to think there will be a problem there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:14 am

Remember that Dallas actually is... going for a championship - something neither Haywood nor Chandler has experience in. I think Chandler is going to start, and Haywood is smart enough to adapt - especially considering he's got a longggg term contract and knows Chandler is probably one and done.
hands11
Banned User

Post#190 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 am

Ruzious wrote:Remember that Dallas actually is... going for a championship - something neither Haywood nor Chandler has experience in. I think Chandler is going to start, and Haywood is smart enough to adapt - especially considering he's got a longggg term contract and knows Chandler is probably one and done.

If Chandler starts, I doubt Haywood would be excepting of that. I would expect that was a topic that was brought up before Haywood resigned.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:36 am

hands11 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Remember that Dallas actually is... going for a championship - something neither Haywood nor Chandler has experience in. I think Chandler is going to start, and Haywood is smart enough to adapt - especially considering he's got a longggg term contract and knows Chandler is probably one and done.

If Chandler starts, I doubt Haywood would be excepting of that. I would expect that was a topic that was brought up before Haywood resigned.

His name is Brendan Haywood; not Albert Haynesworth. He'd have to accept it. I seriously doubt the contract he signed says he's guaranteed a starting spot on the team. He may want to start, but I'd want every player to the last guy on the bench to want... to start.
hands11
Banned User

Post#192 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:58 am

Ruzious wrote:
hands11 wrote:

His name is Brendan Haywood; not Albert Haynesworth. He'd have to accept it. I seriously doubt the contract he signed says he's guaranteed a starting spot on the team. He may want to start, but I'd want every player to the last guy on the bench to want... to start.

No, he is Brendon and he has been through the not starting thing before. I didn't say his contract says he has to start. What I am suggesting is that he would have asked them if he was slated as the starter and asked what their plans were. If he wasn't slatted as the starter, I don't think he would have signed there.

I bet Haywood starts the season at center but either could start.

Interesting read on their metrics

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=3374

Since Haywood can only play center and chandler can play center or power forward, I beating Haywood starts and Chander get his minutes mixing between C and PF. There aren't enough minutes to have them just split the center position.
http://espn.go.com/nba/teams/depth?team=dal
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#193 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:47 am

Blatche signs for the next 5 years

Blatche said coming to terms with the Wizards was a no-brainer for him. He said he wanted the deal done so that he could remain in Washington, where his career began after the Wizards took him with the 49th overall pick in 2005.

He also wanted to be a part of the rebuilding efforts under Coach Flip Saunders and with No. 1 overall pick John Wall. “We’re going to be fast, explosive, quick,” Blatche said. “Flip, he’s done a tremendous job, with players being in shape. Being in that gym, in that arena everyday, there is a lot of positive energy going around. It’s going to be fun for us. I think it’s going to be a great season for us.”

I'm really liking the potential speed dynamic of this team. We've got potential mismatch speedsters at every position on the floor. Flip prides himself on designing schemes that maximize player strengths and minimize their weaknesses. He was smart to emphasize stamina with this group since their best hope is to run on every ball.

Wall
Gil, Nick
Thornton, Booker -- a healthy Josh
Yi, Armstrong
McGee and Seraphin

Each of the above can get out and go, finish in transition. Dray can handle on the break, and pass well as the relay man, even if he doesn't especially finish well with a head of steam. Kirk makes smart reads in the uptempo game. Booker passes well for his position. Gil and Wall both show they can find the open man, even if both could stand to be a little less optimistic in their passes, but JaVale excuses optimism by catching balls in impossible places and finishing improbable plays with unlikely acrobatics. I suspect Seraphin will also allow room for confidence.

With Dray hitting the iron all summer, now up to 260lbs of muscle, instead of the skinny arms and spare tire of baby fat, we ought to see an improvement in his boardsmanship. If so, the instant outlet pass is an option as well.

Boards are key of course, but early reports suggest we may quickly see productive minutes out of the 275lb Seraphin bringing the boom and thunder. Plus Flip's zone scheme leads to midrange bounces where Gil and John Wall can poach looseys and start the sprint. Gilbert has always rebounded fairly well for his position, I expect with some emphasis John Wall may erase the rep that he lacks the desire to chase 'em. Looked to me like he had no problem in summer ball, now that he didn't have Big Cousins and PatPatt hoovering up every errant carom.

Flip's twin-guard reads last year gave a glimpse. I can only see Gil + Johnny Ballgame as an upgrade compared to Squirrel + Livingston, in aggregate speed and court balance. Doesn't really matter which one gets the ball, they're gonna run, and nobody is catching 'em.

So it all comes down to defense. Can the team force misses and collect the ball. Flip has the length to play his favorite scheme, if not innate instinct and cunning from sideline to sideline. And as of right now the only hope under the defensive boards come from that Dray/Sera pairing, or JaVale deciding he's strong enough now to risk staying at home underneath. Holding his position. So far the hope has been pretty dim, but all that's required is desire and effort to improve. A little work on positioning and fundamentals, a dedication to the training room. I'm especially interested how the Black Angel develops further.

We'll see. It's summertime now. I always enjoy the late-summer happies, eager to simply see games. But I think we've got the seed of an interesting match-up for many EC opponents. We may nto be able to stand toe to toe, but maybe we can outrun 'em, force them to chase, then run 'em into the ground late game, late season.

Not really a viable postseason strategy maybe. But should be fun to watch.

Return to Washington Wizards