ImageImageImageImageImage

Should we target Shaq?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MJ7
Senior
And1: 942

Should we target Shaq? 

Post#1 » by MJ7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 pm

We're a playoff team... IF we had a decent center. I was thinking about the big diesel, Yes he's washed up but he's a force in the paint, a decent rebounder, he can stop Howard etc. Yes he's arrogant, yes he's old but he's a veteran that can help out the rookies and give us about 15 PPG every night and that's good. What do you think?
Wizard/MJ fan
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Re: Should we target Shaq? 

Post#2 » by mhd » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Considering the drama between Shaq and Gil, I would say no.
MJ7
Senior

Post#3 » by MJ7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Don't want Shaq getting shot now. Anyway, I think we should, let by gones be by gones and make a push to the playoffs!
Wizard/MJ fan
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#4 » by jimij » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Hell and No!

We can make the playoffs with our current roster now that Howard has been re-signed. However, even with Shaq we're still at best a 7th seed. I'd rather develop the kiddy corp at center and just see how it goes.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#5 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:38 pm

jimij wrote:Hell and No!

We can make the playoffs with our current roster now that Howard has been re-signed. However, even with Shaq we're still at best a 7th seed. I'd rather develop the kiddy corp at center and just see how it goes.

+1
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
MJ7
Senior

Post#6 » by MJ7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:53 pm

jimij wrote:Hell and No!

See how it goes? I don't know about that, Shaq can be a big help for us, a good passing big man who gets in the paint with ease, versus a rookie who could be very risky to us. I understand your point though.
Wizard/MJ fan
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#7 » by no D in Hibachi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

MJ7 wrote:Shaq can be a big help for us, a good passing big man who gets in the paint with ease

Either you're kidding about wanting Shaq or you haven't watched him play in years. A 'big man who gets in the paint with ease'? Riiiiight....if he can even get down the floor before the offensive play is over. Mike Brown lost his job because he was so insistent on playing Shaq in the playoffs against the Celtics. Shaq had no business being on the floor. He cannot guard anyone in the league--literally no one. Remember how the Wiz front line ran circles around the Celtics front line last year? Everyone wrote them off for dead because they were sooo unathletic and slow against younger players. Well KG and Wallace did the same thing to Shaq in the playoffs. They made Shaq look like a clown out there. If Mike Brown played Verejo over Shaq in that series Cleveland would have easily beaten the Celtics and history would have been re-written.

The fact that playoff teams like Utah, Miami, or Dallas, who have been perennially been weak in the paint, aren't even considering Shaq has to tell you something. Exactly what benefits will Shaq provide a rebuilding team?
MJ7
Senior

Post#8 » by MJ7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:08 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:
MJ7 wrote:Shaq can be a big help for us, a good passing big man who gets in the paint with ease

Either you're kidding about wanting Shaq or you haven't watched him play in years. A 'big man who gets in the paint with ease'? Riiiiight....if he can even get down the floor before the offensive play is over. Mike Brown lost his job because he was so insistent on playing Shaq in the playoffs against the Celtics. Shaq had no business being on the floor. He cannot guard anyone in the league--literally no one. Remember how the Wiz front line ran circles around the Celtics front line last year? Everyone wrote them off for dead because they were sooo unathletic and slow against younger players. Well KG and Wallace did the same thing to Shaq in the playoffs. They made Shaq look like a clown out there. If Mike Brown played Verejo over Shaq in that series Cleveland would have easily beaten the Celtics and history would have been re-written.

The fact that playoff teams like Utah, Miami, or Dallas, who have been perennially been weak in the paint, aren't even considering Shaq has to tell you something. Exactly what benefits will Shaq provide a rebuilding team?

I think you're right, we are rebuilding and maybe it would hinder our growth, but a one year deal on vet minimum wouldn't hurt.
Wizard/MJ fan
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:17 pm

MJ7 wrote:I think you're right, we are rebuilding and maybe it would hinder our growth, but a one year deal on vet minimum wouldn't hurt.

MJ7 - Rightly or wrongly, I think Shaq wants one more run at a ring- someting that we will not be challenging for this season.

MJ7
Senior

Post#10 » by MJ7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:19 pm

mohammed10 wrote:
MJ7 wrote:I think you're right, we are rebuilding and maybe it would hinder our growth, but a one year deal on vet minimum wouldn't hurt.

MJ7 - Rightly or wrongly, I think Shaq wants one more run at a ring- someting that we will not be challenging for this season.

Almost forgot that he's an jackassington, so yeah he's going to sign with some contender and attempt to win his ring. Who knows, there is a few upsides to Shaq.
Wizard/MJ fan
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:25 pm

MJ7 wrote:
Almost forgot that he's an jackassington, so yeah he's going to sign with some contender and attempt to win his ring. Who knows, there is a few upsides to Shaq.

At this point in his career, Shaq is a mercenary who is trying to piggyback his way to the title round. I think that reason may be why you have the above replies. Look at the bright side, at least he isn't trying to 'market his brand' or whatever the heck that means, right LeBron?

:lol:

MJ7
Senior

Post#12 » by MJ7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm

mohammed10 wrote:
MJ7 wrote:

At this point in his career, Shaq is a mercenary who is trying to piggyback his way to the title round. I think that reason may be why you have the above replies. Look at the bright side, at least he isn't trying to 'market his brand' or whatever the heck that means, right LeBron?

That's low, lock this lol.

Calvin Booth > Shaq.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:31 pm

MJ7 wrote:That's low, lock this lol.

Calvin Booth > Shaq.

That's reality for a past-his-prime mid thirty-something player
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#14 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Oh God No! We're running a youth movement here. Run with McGee and live with the good and evil.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#15 » by FreeBalling » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:40 am

Bring in Shaq, that's like asking Gil to bring guns to work.

Bickerstaff
Senior
And1: 3

Post#16 » by Bickerstaff » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 am

FreeBalling wrote:Bring in Shaq, that's like asking Gil to bring guns to work.

:confused:
CaPtaiN eYeSaNo
Senior
And1: 1

Post#17 » by CaPtaiN eYeSaNo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 am

FreeBalling wrote:Bring in Shaq, that's like asking Gil to bring guns to work.

Return to Washington Wizards