Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Question about Alonzo Gee 

Post#1 » by franktony » Sun Aug 1, 2010 12:32 pm

Hello Guys,

Spurs fan here.

Our FO was not so high on Gee, but after they saw Gee perfoming for the Wiz, they got really high on him.

What you guys can say about his performance for the Wiz ?

thx in advance
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,347

Re: Question about Alonzo Gee 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Sun Aug 1, 2010 1:26 pm

He has the makings of an excellent role player. He plays good D and hits open shots. He rebounds pretty well and doesn't force shots. He has good size and athleticism.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#3 » by closg00 » Sun Aug 1, 2010 2:06 pm

We probably would have signed Gee, the Spurs were just quicker to offer at-least a partially guaranteed contract. Here's a nice re-cap of what happened from our Wiz beat-writer.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... thing.html
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 1, 2010 3:54 pm

nate33 wrote:He has the makings of an excellent role player. He plays good D and hits open shots. He rebounds pretty well and doesn't force shots. He has good size and athleticism.

Better athleticism than height - 6'6, though he's strongly built. His explosive leaping ability negates the lack of height, and he uses it to make spectacular dunks. He played very well here, but I'm skeptical about his ability to keep it up after he's been scouted around the league, since he was just an average college player.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Aug 1, 2010 4:13 pm

franktony wrote:Hello Guys,

Spurs fan here.

Our FO was not so high on Gee, but after they saw Gee perfoming for the Wiz, they got really high on him.

What you guys can say about his performance for the Wiz ?

thx in advance

franktony, before you posted about Gee, I thought about posting in the Other Teams' Moves thread that I think SA has had an excellent off season. Splitter, Anderson, Gee, and Neal are all fine acquisitions.

Gee's a talented player who is not far from being good enough to start at SF. He put up ridiculously efficient stats in his 10 days with the Wizards. He looked good in summer league for SA. Unfortunately for Gee, the Spurs rewarded Richard Jefferson with a new contract. Also, your FO drafted James Anderson and grabbed a steal from summer league, Gary Neal.

I think Gee might not get the much playing time behind Ginobili, Jefferson, and round one steal Anderson.

Neal's probably going to earn more minutes than Gee. Neal is one of the best shooters around, judging from his stats in Spain and Italy, and by how he shot lights out in Vegas. The Spurs are so confident he's for real they signed Gary Neal for three years. Gee won't get that at this point.

The Spurs are ridiculously loaded with great shooters.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Sun Aug 1, 2010 4:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:He played very well here, but I'm skeptical about his ability to keep it up after he's been scouted around the league, since he was just an average college player.

Agreed. I don't think he's the next Raja Bell, or even Matt Barnes. Gee is a 12-15th man on a playoff team IMO.
closg00
RealGM

Post#7 » by closg00 » Sun Aug 1, 2010 8:17 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He played very well here, but I'm skeptical about his ability to keep it up after he's been scouted around the league, since he was just an average college player.

Agreed. I don't think he's the next Raja Bell, or even Matt Barnes. Gee is a 12-15th man on a playoff team IMO.

:lol: Had Ernie beaten the Spurs by signing Gee, Rico would have been the 1st to the boards with a

:clap: & :bowdown: When Flip & Ernie expressed interest in Gee, a bench player is what they had in-mind obviously.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#8 » by JonathanJoseph » Mon Aug 2, 2010 2:31 am

closg00 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

:lol: Had Ernie beaten the Spurs by signing Gee, Rico would have been the 1st to the boards with a

:clap: & :bowdown: When Flip & Ernie expressed interest in Gee, a bench player is what they had in-mind obviously.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Spurs observers believe Alonzo Gee is not likely to make the regular season roster.

But by all means, back to the narrative that says the incompetent Ernie Grunfeld was let a future stud walk out under his nose.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#9 » by WizStorm » Mon Aug 2, 2010 3:59 am

JonathanJoseph wrote:Meanwhile, in the real world, Spurs observers believe Alonzo Gee is not likely to make the regular season roster.

But by all means, back to the narrative that says the incompetent Ernie Grunfeld was let a future stud walk out under his nose.
The narrative in my mind was never about Alonzo Gee being a stud or not. The reality is that during a lost season where the Wizards only goal was to develop players and find hidden gems in NBDL, the Wizards found a player that coaching staff wanted to keep and even EG wanted to keep. However, due to either poor bookkeeping, laziness or flat out incompetence, EG let the second 10-day contract expire before offering Gee a contract, which relinquished the Wizards rights to Gee and allowed the Spurs come swoop in and make a guaranteed offer that the Wizards were unwilling to beat. An offer BTW which was just for a guaranteed training camp invite and therefore would've forced the Wizards to carry a league minimum salary player and cost them "cap flexibility" which turns out was never needed.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 2, 2010 5:27 am

JonathanJoseph wrote:Meanwhile, in the real world, Spurs observers believe Alonzo Gee is not likely to make the regular season roster.

Bingo.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#11 » by Kanyewest » Mon Aug 2, 2010 5:59 am

WizStorm wrote:

The narrative in my mind was never about Alonzo Gee being a stud or not. The reality is that during a lost season where the Wizards only goal was to develop players and find hidden gems in NBDL, the Wizards found a player that coaching staff wanted to keep and even EG wanted to keep. However, due to either poor bookkeeping, laziness or flat out incompetence, EG let the second 10-day contract expire before offering Gee a contract, which relinquished the Wizards rights to Gee and allowed the Spurs come swoop in and make a guaranteed offer that the Wizards were unwilling to beat. An offer BTW which was just for a guaranteed training camp invite and therefore would've forced the Wizards to carry a league minimum salary player and cost them "cap flexibility" which turns out was never needed.

Agreed. And I'd rather have him than Cartier Martin.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#12 » by JonathanJoseph » Mon Aug 2, 2010 9:32 am

Kanyewest wrote:
WizStorm wrote:

Agreed. And I'd rather have him than Cartier Martin.
Ok, but I was under the impression that Gee wanted to go for the $$ and that was more the case than Grunfeld missing out on something due to laziness.

While I still don't believe it went down like that, for the sake of this thread I'll go along with the theory that Grunfeld dropped the ball on this one.

And yet we're still here talking about Alonzo Gee vs Cartier Martin and both of them are just fringe NBA players. Let's let Gee make an NBA roster before we get on the GM for letting him get away.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
closg00
RealGM

Post#13 » by closg00 » Mon Aug 2, 2010 9:33 am

WizStorm wrote:

Double-Bingo :D

Return to Washington Wizards