ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Places for rent around Georgetown

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Scuall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,761

OT: Places for rent around Georgetown 

Post#1 » by Scuall » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Anyone here live around the Georgetown area? I won't know until Monday, but my wife may be enrolling in the LLM program there. If you are in the area, what's the the typical cost for rent? I'd prefer a small home with a lawn (have an energetic Jack Russell Terrier), but a condo near a park is not out of the question.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Re: OT: Places for rent around Georgetown 

Post#2 » by closg00 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Lucky-you, you can afford Georgetown rents? Find a pet-friendly apt or condo in another part of town and commute to Georgetown........unless money is not a concern.
Scuall
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Scuall » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:10 pm

closg00 wrote:Lucky-you, you can afford Georgetown rents? Find a pet-friendly apt or condo in another part of town and commute to Georgetown........unless money is not a concern.

What are the rents like? We do have a housing allowance that will pay for it (or most of it). I'm not opposed to a minor commute. The thing I'm most interested in is safety. My wife will likely spend many evenings studying, and I wouldn't want her walking around some shady places at night.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#4 » by fishercob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm

The Law Center isn't in Georgetown. It's much closer to Union Station/Capitol Hill, and the immediate area around GULC isn't the safest. It's by no means a war zone either.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#5 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 pm

I lived in the papermill right off of K street in Gtown for a little while. There is a new park going up right across the street. IT was awesome there, I think rent was $2100-$2400 for a two bedroom/2 level condo/th.
Scuall
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Scuall » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:I lived in the papermill right off of K street in Gtown for a little while. There is a new park going up right across the street. IT was awesome there, I think rent was $2100-$2400 for a two bedroom/2 level condo/th.

I'll have to look into that one; fits right in the housing allowance. Thanks!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#7 » by closg00 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Craigs List is the way to go for housing, check them out.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#8 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 pm

closg00 wrote:Craigs List is the way to go for housing, check them out.

True, that's where I found the place I rented when I was renting

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 69954.html

Edit (this one says no pets please) but it cant hurt to ask. Plus I just wanted to show you what they looked like. Hopefully you can find one that allows pets.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#9 » by fishercob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 pm

The Papermill is inconvenient to the Georgetown Law campus.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/tour/

The Law Center is closest to the Judiciary Square metro station, which is on the red line. There's no metro in Georgetown proper.

If you've got a car it's a little better, but fighting traffic to get from G'town to GULC will grow tiresome very quickly.

I'd suggest living near Dupont circle so you have metro access.
— Steve Martin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#10 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 pm

closg00 wrote:Craigs List is the way to go for housing, check them out.

You also might want to check realtor.com to check for the MLS rental listings. You might see some stuff in your price range that isn't on CL. They should have the contact info for the listing agent on the site.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#11 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:00 pm

fishercob wrote:The Papermill is inconvenient to the Georgetown Law campus.

The Law Center is closest to the Judiciary Square metro station, which is on the red line. There's no metro in Georgetown proper.

If you've got a car it's a little better, but fighting traffic to get from G'town to GULC will grow tiresome very quickly.

Yep, that's def a negative (no metro), but there is the foggy bottom one, which is about a 10 min walk.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#12 » by fishercob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:

Yep, that's def a negative (no metro), but there is the foggy bottom one, which is about a 10 min walk.

You gotta switch lines to get to Judiciary, though. Huge PITA. I think it makes most sense for them to live on the hill or on the red line (Woodley, Cleveland Park, Dupont).
— Steve Martin
Scuall
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Scuall » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks...didn't see anything on the specific location when searching via Google Maps, your link definitely helps. As you said, fighting traffic everyday is something I'd like to avoid. Access to Metro will be a plus. I'll definitely look into DuPont circle.

I'll probably be searching Craigslist when the time gets a little closer. I'm not sure about DC, but from my experience, CL is very hit or miss on rentals. I have several properties, and my main one in Florida I now advertise w/o CL. There's so much on there that ads get lost very quickly. I also get calls from some strange folks; I'm always paranoid that they're trying to scope out an empty house to break into.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#14 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Not to OT an OT thread, but you can use http://wmata.com to map out typical Metro commute times.
lovecats
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by lovecats » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 pm

r4 ds wrote:Anyone here live around the Georgetown area? I won't know until Monday, but my wife may be enrolling in the LLM program there. If you are in the area, what's the the typical cost for rent? I'd prefer a small home with a lawn (have an energetic Jack Russell Terrier), but a condo near a park is not out of the question.

Hope your wife good luck
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#16 » by Induveca » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Check out Arlington. Very quick into downtown DC, much nicer, and just as many things open late night. Depending on where you're from, I think you may be a bit disappointed by the nightlife vibe in most areas of DC.

Why there is no metro in the Georgetown area I never understood when I lived there, but it is actually by far the nicest area in which to live in DC itself. That being said, with no metro access Ballston/Courthouse/Roslyn areas of Arlington all become very attractive....also downtown Bethesda. All of those are much nicer than all areas outside of Georgetown IMO.

Major thing is they all have the same stores/pharmacies/chains. DC was invaded by every imaginable gentrified chain store when I had left DC, and on my two trips back seemed to have gotten even worse. "Chinatown" is now nothing more than McDonalds/Quiznos/Verizon Center/Pizzeria Uno and other major chains. It feels like a suburban shopping mall. I used to hit up that area when it was really grungy and interesting to buy underground Kung Fu DVDs in the mid 90s.....what a difference.

My 2 cents, don't live in DC itself.....live in Arlington or Bethesda within 3 blocks of a metro stop and you'll have a much happier life.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#17 » by fugop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Definitely don't live in Georgetown if you are going to the Law Center. It can take an hour to travel between the two locations with bad traffic.

There are a bunch of new buildings on Mass Ave that seem to have become de facto dorms. Logan circle is popular. H street is a bit adventurous still, especially as there's rail-line construction that will probably annoy a law student. Eastern Market is a long walk/short bike ride, but is doable.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#18 » by montestewart » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Induveca wrote:"Chinatown" is now nothing more than McDonalds/Quiznos/Verizon Center/Pizzeria Uno and other major chains. It feels like a suburban shopping mall. I used to hit up that area when it was really grungy and interesting to buy underground Kung Fu DVDs in the mid 90s.....what a difference.

I think that store at 6th & H still sells the DVDs, but there's only like 4-5 actual Chinese restaurants left. "Current businesses will be protected." "No residents will be displaced." "The neighborhood will retain its unique character." "There will be adequate parking." "Traffic will not increase." "Take all developer pronouncements with a grain of salt."

It really depends on how close you want to actually live to GULC. Parts of Arlington, Alexandria, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Bethesda, are easily accessible by Metro, so if you find a good deal near Metro, it really doesn't matter if it's not in DC. I work with many people that live in the near-in suburbs, and it sounds like the rents are pretty comparable (that is, high), but I haven't actually had to look, and maybe they were just complaining about the price because they came from some city where the rents are generally lower.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#19 » by willbcocks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Arlington's great. And because it's great it's expensive as hell (but I don't know, maybe it's better than DC). I suppose there's some of the gentrified **** everyone's railing against going on there, but I had my long list of great unique restaurants/shops that I frequented and was fine with that. Helped having a car though.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#20 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Arlington is cheaper than the nicer parts of DC. I really enjoy my place here and the commute to Foggy Bottom is only 10-15 minutes in the orange line.

Return to Washington Wizards