Official Media Day Pics

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Re: Official Media Day Pics 

Post#41 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:21 pm

The thing is why is he emo Gilbert? Because he isn't dancing? He isn't smiling? They're putting a label on him because guys like the DC Sports Bog have nothing to write about. It kinda pisses me off. Talk to me when you lose millions in salary and see if that doesn't change you.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#42 » by fishercob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Rafael122 wrote:The thing is why is he emo Gilbert? Because he isn't dancing? He isn't smiling? They're putting a label on him because guys like the DC Sports Bog have nothing to write about. It kinda pisses me off. Talk to me when you lose millions in salary and see if that doesn't change you.

Nah. Watch the videos, man. There's a difference between being matter-of-fact, professional and courteous and whatever Gil was being. He's clearly being intentionally standoffish and guarded, and I'm not sure it doesn't hurt him and his image.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Da HomeTeam
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#43 » by Da HomeTeam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Ball on the court and stay out of trouble of it who cares about the rest. They've taken enough from him over the past year....let him be.

It still curious to me who dimed him out. I think lil Early Boykins or Mike Miller snitched.
R.I.P. #21 - Gone but not forgotten!
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#44 » by AceDegenerate » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 pm

How is Gilbert's treatment of the media this season any different than last season? Like I said, he is being put under the microscope by everyone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m1sDpFeZgk[/youtube]
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#45 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Gil_Kills wrote:
fishercob wrote:
Extremely fair point, and I thought about this after I posted my initial reaction of discouragement.

That said, I continue to be mystified by the organization's way of dealing with this, though perhaps their hands are tied by the league (in which case, i'm mystified by the league).

Given Ted's MO of transparency, honesty and empathy, and I don't see the downside in allowing Gil to just say (not read a statement) saying "I'm really sorry about everything that happened. I used terrible judgment and let a lot of people down. I paid a big price and am looking forward to moving on."

That's not what we're getting. Emo-Gil is sort of off-putting, especially since we know it's not who he really is. Hopefully he'll have some quick success on the court and everyone will relax.

Life altering events have a way of altering a man's personality. The Wizards as an organization were far from supportive. Also, let's not forget that before all of the locker room drama there was that whole Shaq rumor. The happy-go-lucky guy that took off his jersey after every game may be gone forever.

As much as we all obsess over the basketball player, Gil the person has had to deal with the death of his mother. Gil's been through a lot. It cannot be easy what he's going through.

With Wall being a PG and the top pick and all the media attention to the rookie as the franchise savior, and the Wizards also bringing in a PG, Hinrich, "for leadership" it's been a lot for Gil to process graciously.

I think just him showing up in shape and being nice to teammates is great. He's doing his part.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#46 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:50 pm

He also lost his shoe deal. None of us, and none of the people in the media have been in his position before. Ever. So it's childish to portray him as "emo Gilbert." Dude's been through enough in the last year to last him a lifetime.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#47 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 pm

The media portrayed him as a thug and a menace to society throughout the entire gun incident. Gilbert made a stupid decision but some of the stuff that was being said about him was flat out wrong. I don't blame Gilbert for giving these a-holes the cold shoulder.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#48 » by fishercob » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 am

You guys are absolutely right. I just love Gilbert and want to see that joie de vivre back.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#49 » by Dat2U » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:46 am

fishercob wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:The thing is why is he emo Gilbert? Because he isn't dancing? He isn't smiling? They're putting a label on him because guys like the DC Sports Bog have nothing to write about. It kinda pisses me off. Talk to me when you lose millions in salary and see if that doesn't change you.

Nah. Watch the videos, man. There's a difference between being matter-of-fact, professional and courteous and whatever Gil was being. He's clearly being intentionally standoffish and guarded, and I'm not sure it doesn't hurt him and his image.

Raf is right. Gil is damned he does & damned if he doesn't. With the media he's not going to win no matter what right now. So who cares if he's standoffish & guarded towards them? I don't care how Gilbert interacts with the media although its quite clear the media really cares:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... ards092710

I'm more concerned about what type of teammate he is. Him placating to the media or not doesn't really give any insight on this.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#50 » by montestewart » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:38 am

Wizards2Lottery wrote:The media portrayed him as a thug and a menace to society throughout the entire gun incident. Gilbert made a stupid decision but some of the stuff that was being said about him was flat out wrong. I don't blame Gilbert for giving these a-holes the cold shoulder.

In addition to his treatment by the media, he apparently was told by the commissioner not to talk about the suspension. Since comments he made after the incident (to the media, via twitter, etc.) burned him later on, maybe he's just coming to terms with the hard lesson that the media can love you one day and destroy you the next. Maybe Leonsis counseled him to lay back a little and focus on his game and not worry about the press corps too much. Sure they all want to know what Arenas is thinking, but at least they've got Wall to hold their attention. Perhaps Wall can be Arenas' savior on and off the court.

I like the happy-go-lucky Arenas, but if this is what he needs to do to get back into his groove, it's fine with me.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#51 » by WizStorm » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:Raf is right. Gil is damned he does & damned if he doesn't. With the media he's not going to win no matter what right now. So who cares if he's standoffish & guarded towards them? I don't care how Gilbert interacts with the media although its quite clear the media really cares:

I'm more concerned about what type of teammate he is. Him placating to the media or not doesn't really give any insight on this.
Wow, what a horrible article. It's almost like the writer thinks that however Gil acts with the media is a complete indictment on his whole future career. I think the media in general is completely full of themselves and they they are the bigger story than the athletes themselves. Sure, the media unfairly wields the power to make or break public perception (ie. Peter Vecsey) but they have no sway in actually affecting performance on the court.

Just watching Gil on the court, I see a guy that is totally focused on the task at hand and isn't in the least standoffish with his teammates. Case in point, I saw Gil giving some personal one-on-one teaching with Trevor Booker. He's certainly not the recluse with his teammates that he's showing to the media, but of course many in the media are too stupid to realize the distinction.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#52 » by doclinkin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:05 pm

WizStorm wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Raf is right. Gil is damned he does & damned if he doesn't. With the media he's not going to win no matter what right now. So who cares if he's standoffish & guarded towards them? I don't care how Gilbert interacts with the media although its quite clear the media really cares:

Wow, what a horrible article. It's almost like the writer thinks that however Gil acts with the media is a complete indictment on his whole future career. I think the media in general is completely full of themselves and they they are the bigger story than the athletes themselves. Sure, the media unfairly wields the power to make or break public perception (ie. Peter Vecsey) but they have no sway in actually affecting performance on the court.

Just watching Gil on the court, I see a guy that is totally focused on the task at hand and isn't in the least standoffish with his teammates. Case in point, I saw Gil giving some personal one-on-one teaching with Trevor Booker. He's certainly not the recluse with his teammates that he's showing to the media, but of course many in the media are too stupid to realize the distinction.

Yep, yep. Gilbert is understandably distrustful of the media at this point. Learned you live by the sword die by the sword. As the HIbachi cat he picked up a ton of interest, but being unable to recapture the acclaim due to injury the spotlight never left him, and that 100 million doillar contract cast a shadow over him like a piano dangling from a string. The media killed him for Gil Being Gil. Quirky, and altogether too open with whatever thoguth was running through his head at any given moment.

But where it really turned for him was not the empty gun prank, but before that. When he wouldn't talk with the media last year people whose livelihood depends on writing an interesting story were stung with hurt feelings. Never start an argument with people who by bandwidth by the terabyte. Or ink by the bucket, whatever. At that point Gilbert was vulnerable to jackals like Pete Vescey who resent the acclaim that sports figures earn despite his perception that all are low-intellect baboons unfit to empty his colostomy bag. Vescey the younger is a hack gossip monger who suffers from being related to an award-winning actual capital J journalist. You know he sulks at the Thanksgiving table, pissed off that he failed even as a TV talking head and now has to stew in his won bile at a rag like the Post. Vitriol and vengeance against the millionaires he parasites off is about this only well developed skillset. He's got to be proud that he bagged Gilbert for his trophy room.

Now Gilbert has picked up some of the Sheed cynicism and distrust of the media. They got him locked up and lost him tens of billions of dollars for something that would not even be illegal in most states (not the potential implicit threat, which would be, but would be hard to convict on considering he was threatening himself more than anyone -- but the transportation of guns without a local permit). I suspect we'll get a long stretch of the 'both teams played hard' media moping. And watching John Wall catch the sunny spotlight must sting as well since he has to see it from up close. Especially since the kid is quite likeable. You can't resent him personally for the attention, just the system itself.

Gilbert is right though that the only thing that earns him back the love and acclaim is his performance on court. And probably, sadly, a switch to a new locale since he's stung with bad memories. His game play may earn him that switch as well. He's got to justify 80 million dollars. That's gonna take work. Not impossible, just work. The best hope I see though is Ted rehabilitating Gilbert's trust for the team, even if he has real well-earned distrust for our GM.

Personally I just want to watch Gilbert succeed, win, transform, and find the sublime out of all this. If anyone can pull it off, he can. That said, since I like the guy, I always want him to get some kind of therapy, because dude clearly has a lot on his heart that he keeps bottled up even when he's seemingly happy and friendly with the media. Playing the game and hanging with teammates is about the only place where he seems able to genuinely let go and smile. That therapy works well while you're able, but defers to the future the real sit-down with yourself that the cat really needs.

Gil, I'm sorry your mom passed before you got a chance to reconcile. That's got to hurt, man. As someone who lost a parent young, I can understand. And for what it's worth you still do have people out here who wish you well, no matter what your performance on the basketball court or in front of the media. You're at heart a good cat and anyone with half a brain and no axe to grind can see that. There's always gonna be asses who want to see someone fail, f--- 'em. You know you got peoples who love and respect you both for who you are and what you do. No matter what number you wear or how many points you hang on the score board. Your friends, family (and even friends you don't even know, and may never meet) have got your back. You good.
RealGM

Post#53 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Shanhai Kid made the Micheal Vick analogy, and I will reflect on how Vick went to jail and took a massive beatdown through the media. He's been out of the league and hadn't started in years until last week.

However the media is portaying Gil now that will all change if he comes back strong. He already banked in that three the other night. I foresee Gil getting his swerve on sooner than later. He'll naturally regain the swagger he's always played with and the media will have no choice but to embrace his acheivement on court.

They've done it with Vick. They did it with Ray Lewis. They will do it with Gilbert--unless the comeback gets derailed by injury.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#54 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 pm

doclinkin wrote:
WizStorm wrote:

Yep, yep. Gilbert is understandably distrustful of the media at this point. Learned you live by the sword die by the sword. As the HIbachi cat he picked up a ton of interest, but being unable to recapture the acclaim due to injury the spotlight never left him, and that 100 million doillar contract cast a shadow over him like a piano dangling from a string. The media killed him for Gil Being Gil. Quirky, and altogether too open with whatever thoguth was running through his head at any given moment.

But where it really turned for him was not the empty gun prank, but before that. When he wouldn't talk with the media last year people whose livelihood depends on writing an interesting story were stung with hurt feelings. Never start an argument with people who by bandwidth by the terabyte. Or ink by the bucket, whatever. At that point Gilbert was vulnerable to jackals like Pete Vescey who resent the acclaim that sports figures earn despite his perception that all are low-intellect baboons unfit to empty his colostomy bag. Vescey the younger is a hack gossip monger who suffers from being related to an award-winning actual capital J journalist. You know he sulks at the Thanksgiving table, pissed off that he failed even as a TV talking head and now has to stew in his won bile at a rag like the Post. Vitriol and vengeance against the millionaires he parasites off is about this only well developed skillset. He's got to be proud that he bagged Gilbert for his trophy room.

Now Gilbert has picked up some of the Sheed cynicism and distrust of the media. They got him locked up and lost him tens of billions of dollars for something that would not even be illegal in most states (not the potential implicit threat, which would be, but would be hard to convict on considering he was threatening himself more than anyone -- but the transportation of guns without a local permit). I suspect we'll get a long stretch of the 'both teams played hard' media moping. And watching John Wall catch the sunny spotlight must sting as well since he has to see it from up close. Especially since the kid is quite likeable. You can't resent him personally for the attention, just the system itself.

Gilbert is right though that the only thing that earns him back the love and acclaim is his performance on court. And probably, sadly, a switch to a new locale since he's stung with bad memories. His game play may earn him that switch as well. He's got to justify 80 million dollars. That's gonna take work. Not impossible, just work. The best hope I see though is Ted rehabilitating Gilbert's trust for the team, even if he has real well-earned distrust for our GM.

Personally I just want to watch Gilbert succeed, win, transform, and find the sublime out of all this. If anyone can pull it off, he can. That said, since I like the guy, I always want him to get some kind of therapy, because dude clearly has a lot on his heart that he keeps bottled up even when he's seemingly happy and friendly with the media. Playing the game and hanging with teammates is about the only place where he seems able to genuinely let go and smile. That therapy works well while you're able, but defers to the future the real sit-down with yourself that the cat really needs.

Gil, I'm sorry your mom passed before you got a chance to reconcile. That's got to hurt, man. As someone who lost a parent young, I can understand. And for what it's worth you still do have people out here who wish you well, no matter what your performance on the basketball court or in front of the media. You're at heart a good cat and anyone with half a brain and no axe to grind can see that. There's always gonna be asses who want to see someone fail, f--- 'em. You know you got peoples who love and respect you both for who you are and what you do. No matter what number you wear or how many points you hang on the score board. Your friends, family (and even friends you don't even know, and may never meet) have got your back. You good.

Yep, Gil is good in my eyes, too, doc.

f the media and anybody else that doesn't appreciate what Arenas has brought to DC on and off the court. Never seen a young guy have the switch flipped on him like the media and his own team did. EG is full of the contents of the colostomy bag doc speaks. Ted's the man and Gil will be okay.

Watch and see.
Bye bye Beal.
REDardWIZskin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#55 » by REDardWIZskin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 pm

^^ +1 Most of the media are **** who'd sell their mother down the river for a story
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:43 pm

CCJ, writers as low as Vecsey deserve the colostomy bag comment; EG doesn't. It's a shame - wayyy back in the day before the internet, Vecsey was a heckuva basketball writer - probably the best in the nation. I looked forward to reading his stuff - he was to basketball like Peter Gammons was to baseball. Then the internet came along, and he started appearing on tv, and the more he got recognized, the worse he got.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards