ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Thread - Wiz vs Dallas Preseason (10/5/10)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Who will prevail?

Representing the most POWERFUL city in the world...
79%
The guys who shot J.R.
21%

Total votes: 14

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Re: Official Thread - Wiz vs Dallas Preseason (10/5/10) 

Post#181 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:06 pm

closg00 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:i too am wary about the 3 guard lineup. we might get away with it against butler who's 6'5.5 but against taller guys (perimeter or not) we're going to get torched. Ariza, Granger, Melo, Lebron, Odom, Crash, etc. are all going to elevate easily over hinrich, no matter how tenacious his D is.

I don't want Flip to get carried away with a short rotation. Traditionally, coaches settle in on a group of starters and specific minutes. If Hinrich is always the SF and plays heavy minutes, eventually teams will scout that the Wizards will have to face the taller guys. You're absolutely right, pancakes3.

What I hope is Flip will be flexible enough to change the look of the team. Washington could put a HUGE lineup out there with Wall, Young (one bad game notwithstanding), Yi, Blatche, and McGee. Hoopalotta alluded to the three spot being a place the Wizards can be "oversized". I realize that lineup will NEVER see the court (no way Flip sits Arenas and Hinrich), but that's a big lineup that would be much better defensively than three guards would against certain teams.

One look I did like a lot was Wall, Arenas, Hinrich, Yi, McGee. Every player was a threat to score and had a speed advantage at his position.

Wiz have such a great set of options this season.

I was just going to say that last night we were looking at what will likely be our rotation for this season. I hope Flip does try the Yi, Blatche and McGee lineup, it's a no-brainer considering what will eventually be a huge rebounding deficit this season..

agreed. we got out rebounded by something like 16 last nite
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#182 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:16 pm

Though it might make sense on occasion, I see a few problems with playing Yi at the 3.

- Depth up front. If Seraphin isn't going to contribute we are very thin up front.
- I don't want to encourage Yi to take more long jump shots. The occasional 3 is fine to stretch defenses, but he has not been an efficient jump shooter. I want him to take advantage of his physical gifts and draw some fouls inside.
- Speed and quix - he's got the advantage playing the 4; he'd be at a disadvantage at 3 - hurting the transition offense and defense.
- Guarding 3's on the perimeter - that's not a good matchup for the Wiz. It's like the Redskins expecting a veteran big defensive end to adjust to playing in space as an outside LBer - trying to cover RB's out of the backfield. He has the physical ability to be a very good defender. He just needs more confidence and toughness.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#183 » by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:18 pm

zaRdsAndZeRos wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:i too am wary about the 3 guard lineup. we might get away with it against butler who's 6'5.5 but against taller guys (perimeter or not) we're going to get torched. Ariza, Granger, Melo, Lebron, Odom, Crash, etc. are all going to elevate easily over hinrich, no matter how tenacious his D is.

agreed but i have to say kirk defended shawn marion (whos 6'7ish 6'8) VERY WELL. forced him into a few tough fade aways and pushed him into awakrd positions multiple times

i think hinrich is strong and crafty enough to keep a taller guy in front of him OK enough. I'm worried about taller shooters. Having hinrich out there at 6'4 is not going to have an effect on sf shooters like say... Peja who's 6'9. gil at 6'3 is going to have the same problem challenging Kobe, Joe Johnson, and other 6'6 sg's. gil's added length does help but historically the wiz haven't been very good at closing out on shooters, especially in the corner (i still irrationally fear daniel gibson) so... that's always on my mind.
Bullets -> Wizards
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#184 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:35 pm

All I know is Hinrich harassed Paul Pierce in the playoffs a couple years ago as much as I've ever seen. That's good enough for me.

And who's worried about Peja? A discreet elbow to the lower back and he won't be making anything. :D
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#185 » by W. Unseld » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:50 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i still irrationally fear daniel gibson

I love this quote, something about it sums up Wizard fandom in a nutshell.
dafunky1
Lead Assistant
And1: 258

Post#186 » by dafunky1 » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:54 pm

But Kirk will frustrate yall to no end when he gets a wide open pass from Wall and he clangs the wide open 3.He is a streaky shooter.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#187 » by verbal8 » Wed Oct 6, 2010 6:57 pm

W. Unseld wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:i still irrationally fear daniel gibson

I love this quote, something about it sums up Wizard fandom in a nutshell.

It does seem to be the nobodies who have career nights against the Wizards/Bullets. I remember the I think it was Bullets at the time making Marty Conlon look like an all-star.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#188 » by willbcocks » Thu Oct 7, 2010 12:01 am

dafunky1 wrote:But Kirk will frustrate yall to no end when he gets a wide open pass from Wall and he clangs the wide open 3.He is a streaky shooter.

Last year we had Deshawn Stevenson, we're used to it.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#189 » by montestewart » Thu Oct 7, 2010 1:00 am

willbcocks wrote:
dafunky1 wrote:But Kirk will frustrate yall to no end when he gets a wide open pass from Wall and he clangs the wide open 3.He is a streaky shooter.

Last year we had Deshawn Stevenson, we're used to it.

Look at their stats (career and recent years) and game logs. There's no comparison. Stevenson, bless his heart, was epic bad the last two years. I'll take an occasionally hot-and-cold Hinrich.
dafunky1
Lead Assistant
And1: 258

Post#190 » by dafunky1 » Thu Oct 7, 2010 3:14 am

When the Bulls played Cleveland in the playoffs,the only game the Bulls won was the game Kirk shot well.Otherwise,his 3pt shot wasnt falling.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#191 » by montestewart » Thu Oct 7, 2010 4:42 am

dafunky1 wrote:When the Bulls played Cleveland in the playoffs,the only game the Bulls won was the game Kirk shot well.Otherwise,his 3pt shot wasnt falling.

If you're a Bulls fan, you've watched him much closer than I have, so I won't dispute the possibility, but I've admired aspects of his game since he came into the league and seen him hit some big shots. If Arenas is hitting his 3s, it takes pressure off him, and hey, we haven't even been to the playoffs in two years so I'm not ready to start worrying about our 3-pt shooting in the 1st round. Besides, I like him setting a constant example of defensive effort, good for rookie Wall and veteran Arenas.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#192 » by montestewart » Thu Oct 7, 2010 4:48 am

montestewart wrote:
dafunky1 wrote:When the Bulls played Cleveland in the playoffs,the only game the Bulls won was the game Kirk shot well.Otherwise,his 3pt shot wasnt falling.

If you're a Bulls fan, you've watched him much closer than I have, so I won't dispute the possibility, but I've admired aspects of his game since he came into the league and seen him hit some big shots. If Arenas is hitting his 3s, it takes pressure off him, and hey, we haven't even been to the playoffs in two years so I'm not ready to start worrying about our 3-pt shooting in the 1st round. Besides, I like him setting a constant example of defensive effort, good for rookie Wall and veteran Arenas.

PS: In the 4 games they lost to the Cavs, Hinrich was 4-12 from the 3. Pretty average, but if that's how he shoots when he's off, I'll take it. It's a lot better than Stevenson when he's off.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#193 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Oct 7, 2010 6:19 am

dobrojim wrote:someone posted something about Morrison....

IIRC, he didn't get off the bench.

I don't know how he makes the team.

My comments on Morrison only made sense if you first acknowledged that he didn't get off the bench.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#194 » by pancakes3 » Thu Oct 7, 2010 11:47 am

kaminiyeeeeehaaaaaa WHERE'S THE CAVS THREAD!?
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards