ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#1261 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Groupon bought Living Social, so Ted is even fatter with money.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1262 » by BigA » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 am

closg00 wrote:Groupon bought Living Social, so Ted is even fatter with money.

I'm not up on the whole story of Ted with Groupon. Groupon has underperformed worse than the Wizards, its stock price going from $20 when it went public to under $5. I assume he invested early on and was able to get some cash out at the IPO.

The announcement that they will buy Living Social made the stock fall 20 percent. Sort of like if the Wizards bought the Nets.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1263 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Ted was in Groupon way before it went public, but he wouldn't have gotten out at the IPO. In the time since then, though, I assume he's already sold enough stock that he's made a lot of $$ and still has plenty in the company.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#1264 » by AFM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Ted bought in because he thought it was a pretentious mustard company.
BigA
Analyst

Post#1265 » by BigA » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:17 pm

AFM wrote:Ted bought in because he thought it was a pretentious mustard company.

The Verizon Center hot dog is usually $7, but costs $9 if you want Groupon on it.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#1266 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 3, 2016 12:37 pm

I feel bad for the players that identify with this franchise, mainly John Wall, but I do get a perverse pleasure out of watching this team come up short in all the ways close followers of this team have predicted for years and years and years.

There's a good chance this team will fall to 0-4 on Friday and when Leonsis sits there and watches the **** show of his making I hope he feels at least a fraction of the disappointment he's shoved down this teams fan base for the past 6 years.

**** you Teddie.

There's also this gem of an interview, what a big whiny baby. Check the comment section, the fans see right through this shyster.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ted-leonsis-looks-toward-the-future-hints-at-possible-move-for-capitals-wizards/2016/11/02/25c11eb8-a118-11e6-8832-23a007c77bb4_story.html#comments
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1267 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 3, 2016 2:37 pm

It's very difficult to feel anything but distaste for Ted Leonsis. You'd think he was forced to buy these franchises from the way he talks. Or that he wasn't making money running them. That there was any way in which he might be doing better in building Monumental S&E.

I can't bring myself to wish pain or failure on anyone (well... maybe Donald Trump?), but I have to work not to wish them for him. And, it's like he is asking for that! Does he really want people to sympathize w/ his one high carrying cost?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#1268 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 3, 2016 2:56 pm

Bad reporting in that it once again perpetuates the myth that there was nothing but an unbroken wasteland in downtown DC, and suddenly, there was a new arena, and that single-handedly turned everything around.
BigA
Analyst

Post#1269 » by BigA » Fri Nov 4, 2016 3:23 am

BigA
Analyst

Post#1270 » by BigA » Fri Nov 4, 2016 11:46 am

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1271 » by montestewart » Fri Nov 4, 2016 12:41 pm

I usually hate reading comments sections below articles, but this one made me feel great! We're not the only ones that can't stand Terd
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1272 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 2:15 pm

Basically, he is arguing for the taxpayer to pay for the monumentally stupid mistake of committing $200M freaking dollars to Beal, Mahinmi and Smith. Could have signed Dwayne Dedmon, Garrett Temple, and Quincy Acy for a combined $10M per year and got better production.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1273 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 4, 2016 2:16 pm

montestewart wrote:

I usually hate reading comments sections below articles, but this one made me feel great! We're not the only ones that can't stand Terd

Yeah, I am a new Albert Burneko fan. That was a Great little article - and written with such force that Ted's going to have to address it.

And as was said - Nobody forced Leonsis/Monumental to buy the Wiz and Caps. The market price when they were purchased reflected all the negatives he's whining about - otherwise the price would have been much higher. And the salary cap IN BOTH SPORTS give him no basis to whine about not being able to compete. No way should DC and its taxpayers reward him for the terrible job he's done as owner of the Wiz. If he wants to threaten to move them - go right ahead. We'll have a dozen offers for new teams here in 2 seconds flat.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1274 » by montestewart » Fri Nov 4, 2016 3:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Yeah, I am a new Albert Burneko fan. That was a Great little article - and written with such force that Ted's going to have to address it.

And as was said - Nobody forced Leonsis/Monumental to buy the Wiz and Caps. The market price when they were purchased reflected all the negatives he's whining about - otherwise the price would have been much higher. And the salary cap IN BOTH SPORTS give him no basis to whine about not being able to compete. No way should DC and its taxpayers reward him for the terrible job he's done as owner of the Wiz. If he wants to threaten to move them - go right ahead. We'll have a dozen offers for new teams here in 2 seconds flat.

Maybe the new team can get the Bullets name back
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1275 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 4, 2016 3:43 pm

And as Kev pointed out on his blog, the cap going up 24 mil this year meant that revenues went up twice that much - and he/Monumental got to pocket half that (and spend the rest on players) - as the CBA splits revenue 50/50 between players and owners and allows him to fix costs on players.

Btw, Kev also brought up the point that Leonsis bragged about having a franchise worth 2 billion and it being the 3rd most valuable franchise at the same time he whined about having to pay for the building and that making it so difficult for him to compete. Son of a fluffy white biscuit.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#1276 » by TGW » Fri Nov 4, 2016 4:44 pm

If turd thinks he's a sympathetic figure, he's more out of touch than we can imagine.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#1277 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Nov 4, 2016 6:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
montestewart wrote:

We may finally be on to something here. I think I'm at the point where I would welcome Ted pulling a Bob Irsay and moving the team. Just not to MD or Va. Take them far away -- idk, to somewhere like Bangor Maine or Bangelore.

I'd prefer to wait the five or six years it might take for the NBA to backfill a new franchise in this large, wealthy, basketball crazed market... then another three or four years for the team to get good... That beats waiting for Godot (I mean Grunfeld) to build a winner.

Heck, DC could even make a move for a small market team like OKC. You don't think their owners would be salivating over the DC market. While we're at it, convince KD to sign as a free agent. That way, he gets to play for his old team AND his home town.

Ted's interview may have been the final straw for me. What an arrogant, narcissistic POA.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1278 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 4, 2016 9:16 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/11/03/ted-leonsis-isnt-deaf-to-criticism-from-wizards-fans-but-stands-by-the-plan/
So he's whining about having to pay the mortgage on a building he/Monumental owns?!!! He's not paying rent on it - he owns it. Here's a way to decrease your mortgage payments... pay down the mortgage with the extra 24 million you got last year and the extra zillion you're getting from the new tv contract.

And he's provided with a taxpayer-funded subway stop a half block away.

Is there a Greek word for chutzpa?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#1279 » by AFM » Fri Nov 4, 2016 9:39 pm

Sell the team to Donald Trump, Terd!

His post game tweets would be hilarious!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1280 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 4, 2016 10:00 pm

AFM wrote:Sell the team to Donald Trump, Terd!

His post game tweets would be hilarious!

After every 30 point loss, he'd insist we won that!... after stepping out of the cheerleaders' dressing room.

Return to Washington Wizards