Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#1461 » by keynote » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:56 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good. Perhaps that sweet GEICO money can defray the costs of eating the rest of EG and Brooks' contracts.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1462 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:59 pm

I can't believe this jackass announces a financial transaction on which he makes money, & which has no other meaning of any kind, as "great news for... players and fans."

Show me the double in that bottom line.

Does he have no shame?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
keynote
General Manager

Post#1463 » by keynote » Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:21 am

payitforward wrote:I can't believe this jackass announces a financial transaction on which he makes money, & which has no other meaning of any kind, as "great news for... players and fans."

Does he have no shame?

I disagree. I want the Wizards to maximize their revenue streams as much as possible, so long as it doesn't result in any sacrifices to the on-court product. I also want them to invest new revenues into the on-court product, e.g., hire a new GM, buy 2nd round picks, and wallow in lux tax land when the new GM deems it strategically appropriate. Doing the former helps fund the latter.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1464 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 3, 2018 11:29 am

payitforward wrote:I can't believe this jackass announces a financial transaction on which he makes money, & which has no other meaning of any kind, as "great news for... players and fans."

Does he have no shame?

Seriously, how exactly is it great news for the players, and the fans in particular?

We all know what most fans would consider great news, I won't hold my breath in Leonsis doing what's necessary.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1465 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 3, 2018 11:30 am

keynote wrote:I disagree. I want the Wizards to maximize their revenue streams as much as possible, so long as it doesn't result in any sacrifices to the on-court product. I also want them to invest new revenues into the on-court product, e.g., hire a new GM, buy 2nd round picks, and wallow in lux tax land when the new GM deems it strategically appropriate. Doing the former helps fund the latter.

You think lack of revenue is the problem with this franchise?

:lol:
keynote
General Manager

Post#1466 » by keynote » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:34 pm

queridiculo wrote:
keynote wrote:I disagree. I want the Wizards to maximize their revenue streams as much as possible, so long as it doesn't result in any sacrifices to the on-court product. I also want them to invest new revenues into the on-court product, e.g., hire a new GM, buy 2nd round picks, and wallow in lux tax land when the new GM deems it strategically appropriate. Doing the former helps fund the latter.

You think lack of revenue is the problem with this franchise?

Of course not. But in the event Ted ever decides to build / recruit a proper FO, I want them to have every resource at their disposal. If the jersey sponsorship means we sell one less 2nd round pick, it's a win.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1467 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:55 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/05/adam-silver-worries-when-teams-spend-themselves-into-unprofitably/

“[Players] want to enter a competitive system, too,” Silver said. “These are 450 of the best players in the world. They want to be on teams that can compete for championships. They don’t want to be on a team that because they’re in a smaller market or in a situation where they can’t generate as much revenue, that their team can’t afford to spend the same kind of payroll. So, it’s a long-winded way of saying that we continue to look at how to create optimal competition and I’m sure there are additional ways we can improve the system over time.”

I think it won't be too long before something's going to give here.

Either the luxury tax in its current form is going to go bye bye, or owners will be pushing for a hard cap with the next CBA.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,528

Post#1468 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Per the Tap, a blow-up is on the table and chicken-sh** Ted will want to have Ernie hold his hand throughout the process. There is NO way in hell Ernie should get another 5 years at tearing-down and building up a team for this Org.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1469 » by Eli Babak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

I'm gonna throw up and then spam Ted's email full of, well, some horrifying content if he really lets Ernie handle Wall/Beal-trade and keep working on his "process". Please God help us.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#1470 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Eli Babak wrote:I'm gonna throw up and then spam Ted's email full of, well, some horrifying content if he really lets Ernie handle Wall/Beal-trade and keep working on his "process". Please God help us.

i hate ernie so much. the nba worst gm" still has a job.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1471 » by queridiculo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 pm

This turd just flat out despises Washington Wizards fans.

There's no other way you can explain Grunfeld getting yet another chance to drive this franchise off the cliff.

**** me, I'm at a total loss for words that the guy that has created this toxic mess is sitting on the phone fielding calls from other teams.

What a sad joke of a franchise, I feel sick to my stomach about every single minute and every single dime I've ever wasted rooting for this **** pile.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1472 » by BigA » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:55 am

The one explanation for Ted not firing Ernie that is sort of comprehensible is that the decisions to supermax Wall and sign Brooks to his ridiculous contract were mostly Ted's decisions or are understood that way. Some day it would be interesting to get the low down.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1473 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 am

queridiculo wrote:Image

I never get tired of posting this.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1474 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am

queridiculo wrote:“I thought both front offices had ‘A’ grades for their offseason. I think that when a season ends, you sit down and say, ‘This is what we want to accomplish,’ and for the Wizards, it was we need to have more balance and more depth and be prepared for injuries,” Leonsis said. “We had injuries last year and we want to be able to have interchangeable parts and players that are adapted to the new NBA.

“From center position to wing to the backcourt,” Leonsis continued. “So we were able to bring in a lot of bench scoring, and I think we can go 10 to 11 players deep.”

Let's not forget.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1475 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

BigA wrote:The one explanation for Ted not firing Ernie that is sort of comprehensible is that the decisions to supermax Wall and sign Brooks to his ridiculous contract were mostly Ted's decisions or are understood that way. Some day it would be interesting to get the low down.

A competent front office might seem just a little too "in charge" for Terd's liking. Why pay millions just to let someone else play with your toy?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,158

Post#1476 » by AFM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 pm

What's the word for being racist against Greeks? I have become that.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1477 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:30 pm

AFM wrote:What's the word for being racist against Greeks? I have become that.

So, you wouldn't trade Wall for Giannis?? :crazy:
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1478 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Can we get millie in here for a laugh?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1479 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 pm

What I miss is hands explaining how he predicted all this to the letter
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1480 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Let's see what the great Thomas Boswell has to say, he manages to put things in perspective more often than not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/20/dont-let-washington-wizards-spoil-your-day/

This is a response to the question of whether the Wizards should have known they weren't getting a meeting with Durant and whether it should have affected their decision making with respect to the Brooks coaching hire.

Very good points. I felt the same thing at the time: What are they thinking? They aren’t going to get within a thousand miles of K.D., and everybody — except them — knows it.

Does anybody listen to anybody within that franchise. When players, especially your best players — like John Wall and Bradley Beal — constantly seem to be saying that the problem after a bad loss was “lack of effort,” that often means they don’t want to say the truth, which is that there’s a lack of talent — including less talent in their own games than they want to admit, even to themselves. The only thing Beal can do at an above-NBA-average level is shoot. That’s a great thing to be good at. But there’s not a lot more to his game. Wall can do a lot of things — if he would focus on those things, including defense — but he can’t shoot, from any distance, including layups in traffic. And he doesn’t know it.

I wrote a column about Bad Owners last week. I should have mentioned Abe Pollin and Ted Leonsis in their combined incompetence in running the Bullets/Wiz for what is now 40 seasons of despair. The Wiz need to go on a winning streak to reverse this trend.

How long a winning streak? Just to make them a .500 team over the last 40 seasons? They’d need to win 454 games in a row.

This is one of the historically awful teams in U.S. pro sports. And the spiral, after some hopes in recent years, seems to be going back down the drain.

Whenever the Wiz start talking about “How do we get better?” I always want to say, “LOOK IN THE MIRROR. You first order of business is to make sure that you DON’T GET EVEN WORSE.”

With some franchises, I’d be quick to advise 'em to “break this mess up.” With the Wiz, I wouldn’t. Because it’s more likely they’d find a way to get back down to 25-to-30 wins for several seasons, but still never land the lottery pick Hall of Famer who changes the whole picture.

My advice: Stop trying. Just play. Get a little better. Stop pretending your weaknesses are strengths. Listen to the coach. Oh, and fire the GM, just to get people's attention.

Return to Washington Wizards