Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,331

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#1481 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm

queridiculo wrote:Let's see what the great Thomas Boswell has to say,

I wrote a column about Bad Owners last week. I should have mentioned Abe Pollin and Ted Leonsis in their combined incompetence in running the Bullets/Wiz for what is now 40 seasons of despair. The Wiz need to go on a winning streak to reverse this trend.

How long a winning streak? Just to make them a .500 team over the last 40 seasons? They’d need to win 454 games in a row.

:lol:

Just to pile on, I looked up the record of the team since Grunfeld took over. They're 541-689.

They need to win 148 games in a row to get EG up to .500. Or alternatively, they would need 8 consecutive 50-win seasons to get up to .500. How many 50-win seasons have they pulled off in the last 40 years? Zero.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1482 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Let's see what the great Thomas Boswell has to say,

I wrote a column about Bad Owners last week. I should have mentioned Abe Pollin and Ted Leonsis in their combined incompetence in running the Bullets/Wiz for what is now 40 seasons of despair. The Wiz need to go on a winning streak to reverse this trend.

How long a winning streak? Just to make them a .500 team over the last 40 seasons? They’d need to win 454 games in a row.

:lol:

Just to pile on, I looked up the record of the team since Grunfeld took over. They're 541-689.

They need to win 148 games in a row to get EG up to .500. Or alternatively, they would need 8 consecutive 50-win seasons to get up to .500. How many 50-win seasons have they pulled off in the last 40 years? Zero.

They won 54 in '79, but hang onto that line, you can use it next year.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1483 » by BigA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 am

We should cut Ted some slack if it really is Battered Owner Syndrome.
Read on Twitter
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#1484 » by Jay81 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:05 am

big thom Lovero recently destroyed Ted in an article....told him to sell the team
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1485 » by TGW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:56 am

I logged onto Twitter and saw that Dwight Howard was a trending topic. I was thinking he might have been traded or something.

Nope. Not even close. Not even in the same atmosphere.

Another Grunfailed disaster of a signing.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1486 » by closg00 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:07 am

BigA wrote:We should cut Ted some slack if it really is Battered Owner Syndrome.
Read on Twitter

Gonna pull a Hands11 and say this is exactly how I characterized the Ted and Ernie relationship, Ted has Stockholm Syndrome
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1487 » by Eli Babak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:10 pm

TGW wrote:I logged onto Twitter and saw that Dwight Howard was a trending topic. I was thinking he might have been traded or something.

The best part? Player option! They should've thrown that money (make it a simple 1y/5M deal) to Nerlens Noel who's doing fine in OKC according to stats - on a minimum contract.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#1488 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Wizards can seek trade to transform roster, but biggest problem sits above players

The most prominent symptom of the franchise’s primary malady: team president Ernie Grunfeld, who has been in the job for 15 years, or about a half-decade too long.

Grunfeld went out and made Howard a top free-agent target last summer, awarding him a two-year contract.

Now, the Wizards are 7-12, on pace for a 30-win season and their first sub-.500 season in six years. Seeing as the Wizards were already a mess of dysfunction last season, signing Howard was akin to trying to put out a tire fire with kerosene.

But, lately, this has been typical of the Grunfeld era. The players don’t much like each other, and never have. Meanwhile, Grunfeld adds more prickly personalities, like Howard, to the roster (Clippers guard Austin Rivers, brought in this summer, fits that bill), and the chemistry problems balloon.

Owner Ted Leonsis, amazingly, has stood by and watched his franchise slowly and embarrassingly circle the drain for better than a year now. In fact, according to The Washington Post's Candace Buckner, he gave Grunfeld a secret contract extension last fall and graded Grunfeld’s offseason an "A" when asked about his moves this summer.

If you’re wondering what kind of genius owner could keep Grunfeld in place this long, the answer is Leonsis.

No one should be surprised, now, to see the Wizards bungling and in-fighting through the first month-and-a-half of the season.

Grunfeld has handed out generous contracts that have not held their value. Ask around among front-office executives, and it’s not merely the size of the contracts for the top three Wizards that is frightening. It’s that improvement among the three has been minimal during their time in Washington.

"It’s not where you want to see a guy go to get development," one executive said. "I don’t think they’re bad guys, but they must be frustrated. Beal has gotten better, but he does a lot of work on his own, not with the team."

It’s a grim picture. This is a group that doesn’t much like each other, that is being paid too much, that is underachieving and that has fostered very little internal individual improvement. It was only natural, then, for Grunfeld to layer Howard on top of this mess, and for Leonsis to applaud the move.

The Wizards would like to clean house. When it comes to players, that won’t be easy. But Leonsis should acknowledge that the team is a mess by removing the architect of that mess. It all comes back to Grunfeld, whose firing is past due.
The Sporting News
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#1489 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Eli Babak wrote:
TGW wrote:I logged onto Twitter and saw that Dwight Howard was a trending topic. I was thinking he might have been traded or something.

The best part? Player option! They should've thrown that money (make it a simple 1y/5M deal) to Nerlens Noel who's doing fine in OKC according to stats - on a minimum contract.

You're not concern with Noel injury history? Just as bad as Howard's, He's very thin to play center but he's drama free is the only good thing.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Eli Babak
Senior

Post#1490 » by Eli Babak » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:
Eli Babak wrote:

You're not concern with Noel injury history? Just as bad as Howard's, He's very thin to play center but he's drama free is the only good thing.

You're not concern with Howard injury history? :wink: That's why it would've just been a 1 year "prove it" deal, there's always a risk with player options as we've seen with Meeks, Smith etc.

Sigh, I can't understand why Ernie wasted all that money in 2016 on Nicholson/Mahinmi/Smith. Smarter moves and we would've kept our 2017 pick to draft Allen/Kuzma/Hart/someone. So, Leonsis, isn't it time to FIRE GRUNFELD??? :banghead:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1491 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ted is doing the same thing but being cheap on management rather than players...
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1492 » by BigA » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:35 am

I'm not holding out much hope that Ted will push Ernie out if the Wizards don't make the playoffs. But one thing that's different this time compared to other times when we thought it was possible--like when they traded the first for Morris and then didn't make the playoffs--is there is some national media criticism and even ridicule due to the first bungled version of the Ariza trade..

I think that embarrassment in front of his rich friends might make a difference to Ted. We can hope, right?
Eli Babak
Senior

Post#1493 » by Eli Babak » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:23 am

I guess other owners etc. pay Ted to keep Ernie in the job. Less competition, you know.

Ernie was born in 1955, same year as my mom. She just retired and is enjoying life. Ernie, doesn't that sound great?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,331

Post#1494 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:23 pm

BigA wrote:I'm not holding out much hope that Ted will push Ernie out if the Wizards don't make the playoffs. But one thing that's different this time compared to other times when we thought it was possible--like when they traded the first for Morris and then didn't make the playoffs--is there is some national media criticism and even ridicule due to the first bungled version of the Ariza trade..

I think that embarrassment in front of his rich friends might make a difference to Ted. We can hope, right?

Agreed. That is the most promising aspect of this latest news cycle. EG has become a punch line around the league. It's no longer a case where lots of expert merely disagree with Ted (which triggers Ted to be obstinate to prove he is right). Now they are ridiculing him. Shame is a powerful weapon.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1495 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:31 pm

TerdeEGgo has no shame
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1496 » by queridiculo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:40 pm

nate33 wrote:
BigA wrote:I'm not holding out much hope that Ted will push Ernie out if the Wizards don't make the playoffs. But one thing that's different this time compared to other times when we thought it was possible--like when they traded the first for Morris and then didn't make the playoffs--is there is some national media criticism and even ridicule due to the first bungled version of the Ariza trade..

Agreed. That is the most promising aspect of this latest news cycle. EG has become a punch line around the league. It's no longer a case where lots of expert merely disagree with Ted (which triggers Ted to be obstinate to prove he is right). Now they are ridiculing him. Shame is a powerful weapon.

Is it though? I mean, we all know how Leonsis reacted to the front office rankings a few years back.

Pixels and noise, not much of a chance getting through that prism.

The Wizards are following his plan and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1497 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Eli Babak wrote:I guess other owners etc. pay Ted to keep Ernie in the job. Less competition, you know.

Ernie was born in 1955, same year as my mom. She just retired and is enjoying life. Ernie, doesn't that sound great?

Ernie is basically retired at this point. Only problem is he's being paid millions of dollars to let the Wizards rot at the same time. To be fair to Ernie, I wouldn't give up that kind of retirement gig, either.
Bucket! Bucket!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1498 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:50 am

anyone notice that Ted doesn't sit court side as often as the last few seasons? LOL
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#1499 » by leswizards » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:46 pm

All the injuries means, at the end of the season, we get to hear eg talk about how it was a tough season, and no one could have predicted the injuries, but the Wizards expect to be back in contention next season, while Ted secretly extends eg’s contract again.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1500 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Unfortunately, you are so right....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards