Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Wizfanman
Freshman
And1: 72

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#1542 » by Wizfanman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 pm

At least he's talking now. I guess if we make the playoffs Grunfeld has another extension coming.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1543 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 1, 2019 1:37 am

He said the same thing two weeks ago. To quote David Byrne, "You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1544 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 1, 2019 1:29 pm

Maybe the problem is that his goal is to make the last spot in the playoffs.

... with a completely capped team... understanding that he's just refused to entertain the idea of trading any of his 3 highest paid players.

We basically have Abe Pollin II as the owner - though I think Pollin honestly wanted to win a championship. It's pretty clear that Leonsis is fine with just barely making the playoffs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1545 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 1, 2019 2:02 pm

I thought it noteworthy that he said "we're not trading those guys". That leaves the door open for trading Morris or Ariza.

Man, I really want a high 2nd round pick in this draft.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1546 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 1, 2019 2:37 pm

nate33 wrote:I thought it noteworthy that he said "we're not trading those guys". That leaves the door open for trading Morris or Ariza.

Man, I really want a high 2nd round pick in this draft.

NBAdraft.net is crazy or lazy - havng Brandon Clarke at 44. But if they were right (they're not)... Philly acquired the 34th (now) and 43rd (now) picks - and they could use depth at the forward positions.

I doubt the Wiz make a trade - Leonsis is working off a script that says the Wiz are going to make the playoffs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#1547 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 5, 2019 1:08 pm

Read on Twitter
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1548 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Feb 5, 2019 2:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:NBAdraft.net is crazy or lazy - havng Brandon Clarke at 44. But if they were right (they're not)... Philly acquired the 34th (now) and 43rd (now) picks - and they could use depth at the forward positions.

I doubt the Wiz make a trade - Leonsis is working off a script that says the Wiz are going to make the playoffs.

They just aren't good at scouting is the issue. Before the draft they move names around a lot just for kicks. It has a few perks in that people keep coming back to see the changes as though they somehow mean something and it makes it seem like there is some sort of rhyme or reason to what they're doing over time. Then, just before the draft they quickly change all their draft picks to make them much, much closer to every other mock out there when theirs has been totally out to lunch the entire time in order to look a little closer to how things actually break down. It isn't a bad site to get an idea of the prospects involved but in terms of actual quality scouting or predicting how the draft will go, they're not at all representative of anything.
Bucket! Bucket!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1549 » by montestewart » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:17 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Ruzious wrote:NBAdraft.net is crazy or lazy - havng Brandon Clarke at 44. But if they were right (they're not)... Philly acquired the 34th (now) and 43rd (now) picks - and they could use depth at the forward positions.

They just aren't good at scouting is the issue. Before the draft they move names around a lot just for kicks. It has a few perks in that people keep coming back to see the changes as though they somehow mean something and it makes it seem like there is some sort of rhyme or reason to what they're doing over time. Then, just before the draft they quickly change all their draft picks to make them much, much closer to every other mock out there when theirs has been totally out to lunch the entire time in order to look a little closer to how things actually break down. It isn't a bad site to get an idea of the prospects involved but in terms of actual quality scouting or predicting how the draft will go, they're not at all representative of anything.

Only at the end of your post did I realize you weren't talking about the Wizards pre-draft scouting
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1550 » by BigA » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:19 pm

At least Ted indicated that they're keeping their pick. If they were playing better in this recent stretch I would be more concerned about a "win now" move where they trade it.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1551 » by montestewart » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:43 pm

BigA wrote:At least Ted indicated that they're keeping their pick. If they were playing better in this recent stretch I would be more concerned about a "win now" move where they trade it.

Pick and Morris for Mirotic looks about right. Either Morris or Mirotic would be gone next year, so might as well get rid of the pick too. Trade or no trade, playoffs or no playoffs, Leonsis refused to follow advice and make changes, and he won a Stanley Cup. If he fires Grunfeld now, he'll never win an NBA title. If he ever fires Grunfeld, he has to couch it in a veneer of "his idea, regardless of the naysayers," and will wear a whiney look like he fell on his sword for the good of the fans. Such an ego-driven soap opera he is.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#1552 » by TGW » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:01 pm

montestewart wrote:
BigA wrote:At least Ted indicated that they're keeping their pick. If they were playing better in this recent stretch I would be more concerned about a "win now" move where they trade it.

Pick and Morris for Mirotic looks about right. Either Morris or Mirotic would be gone next year, so might as well get rid of the pick too. Trade or no trade, playoffs or no playoffs, Leonsis refused to follow advice and make changes, and he won a Stanley Cup. If he fires Grunfeld now, he'll never win an NBA title. If he ever fires Grunfeld, he has to couch it in a veneer of "his idea, regardless of the naysayers," and will wear a whiney look like he fell on his sword for the good of the fans. Such an ego-driven soap opera he is.

He blocked me on twitter. He also blocked Danny Rohier. The guy is very thin-skinned.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#1553 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:23 pm

It's been a rough few months for DC sports fans...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1554 » by queridiculo » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:28 pm

TGW wrote:
montestewart wrote:

He blocked me on twitter. He also blocked Danny Rohier. The guy is very thin-skinned.

You think? :lol:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/jan/29/20040129-122059-5704r/

Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis last night received a $100,000 fine and one-week suspension from the NHL for his role in a physical altercation Sunday night at MCI Center with season ticket-holder Jason Hammer.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1555 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:14 pm

Don't hurt Hammer...

Hammer time...

Ted Leonsis is a billionaire--where are his bodyguards? Fans should not be able to play with their owner's head or be in harm's way.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1556 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:14 pm

Bet that guy loses tix

Bye bye Beal.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#1557 » by trast66 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 2:15 am

“I love when [fans] go, ‘Trade Bradley Beal, trade John Wall, trade Otto Porter, and I go, ‘Okay, for who?!’ We’re not trading any of those players.”

Ted Leonsis, January 31, 2019
RealGM

Post#1558 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:04 am

trast66 wrote:“I love when [fans] go, ‘Trade Bradley Beal, trade John Wall, trade Otto Porter, and I go, ‘Okay, for who?!’ We’re not trading any of those players.”

Ted Leonsis, January 31, 2019
Lying and scrapping with season ticket holders, are they part of TL's Ten Point plan?

Bye bye Beal.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1559 » by pcbothwel » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:49 pm

ALCON,
I figured this would be the best thread to comment in as our terrible ownership/FO have led to my apathy and disillusionment.

I’ve dedicated way too much time and energy to this organization as well as the Redskins. Simply put, life is too good and too short to waste my time with this nonsense. Not only will I not attend any games or buy any merchandise, but I will not watch any games or contribute on this board anytime in the near future.

I may pop my head in around the draft in June, but I’m going to enjoy my spring and early summer without the burden of such an inept and entitled group of people.

Until EG is gone, I’m done and you all should do the same. I did the same thing with the Orioles last summer and they actually went into a full rebuild With one of the sharpest GM’s/presidents in the sport. I can only hope TL will follow suit.

Bye all

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1560 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:09 am

Trading Otto Porter does little to fix the Wizards’ systemic, long-term issues

By Kevin Broom
Feb 7, 2019, 12:48pm EST
Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images

With the Achilles tear sidelining John Wall for most of next season, the Wizards needed to get out of the luxury tax and create financial space to construct a roster for the future. The trade of Otto Porter for Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker qualifies as “something,” albeit not something that makes much sense.

In basketball terms, Porter for Portis and Parker is bad. Porter, even while having a down shooting year by his standards, made the team better. For all his perceived flaws and limitations, over the past two seasons, the Wizards went just 5-13 in games he missed (not including last night’s drubbing by the Milwaukee Bucks).

A couple years ago, Parker seemed to be on a trajectory to becoming a good player, but a second ACL tear and indifference on defense have made him borderline unplayable this season. His contract has a $20 million team option for next season, which the Wizards will decline. It would be astonishing to see him return to Washington next season.

Portis plays hard and is sometimes even effective. He’s a solid shooter with three-point range and he rebounds well, but he’s turnover prone and has been a poor defender. Last season was the best of his young career (he rated a little above average in my analysis), though his defense was problematic. This season, he’s battled injuries, but he’s young and it’s reasonable to expect improvement. The difficulty is that he’s a restricted free agent this summer, which means the Wizards will need to pay market price if they want to keep him.

Realistically, the trades (including the companion deal sending Markieff Morris to New Orleans for Wesley Johnson) don’t begin to fix what’s wrong with the Wizards. Barring an extended run of great fortune (such as winning the Zion Williamson lottery and finding multiple Thomas Bryant-like surprises), the Wizards won’t be more than a fringe playoff team until they’re finished paying Wall.

Last summer, my analysis predicted that Wall had a couple more seasons of near-peak production before his performance would decline. One of those was this year. He’ll miss the next one with the Achilles tear. When Wall gets back on the court at 30 years old, he’s going to be a whisper of what he once was. And he’s likely to continue having health issues.

Analyzing the trades is worth doing, but more pressing is what it signals about the team’s failed leadership. Ernie Grunfeld has been in charge of the franchise since the summer of 2003. Through a compendium of bad moves, squandered assets and borrowing from the future, Grunfeld constructed an expensive team that somehow lacks top-end talent and depth. The latest plan is to rebuild around Bradley Beal, but this is predicated on the delusion that Beal is an elite player.

Further, their refusal to trade older veterans like Trevor Ariza and Jeff Green is downright malpractice. They may be good guys, but neither should figure into any kind of plan for the future because they’re average players and they’re 32 and 33 years old. The likelihood of either playing this well even next season is small.

While the trades give the Wizards some space to re-sign upcoming free agents, they’re now loaded with restricted free agents likely to see significant salary increases next season. They could, in theory, renounce all of them and create $18-19 million in cap space (depending on how much the cap grows), but that would mean the departures of Tomas Satoransky, Thomas Bryant, Portis, and Sam Dekker, plus unrestricted free agents Trevor Ariza and Jeff Green. They could get another $5.6 million if Dwight Howard opts out of the second year of his contract.

That would leave them with just four players under contract: Beal, Wall, Ian Mahinmi and Troy Brown.

But, the notion that the Wizards would pursue a cap space strategy is fanciful at best. The front office doesn’t believe Washington is a preferred free agent destination. They will not try recruiting an elite player with a barren roster and no maximum salary slot.

The team’s meager resources leave them vulnerable to free agent poaching. When franchises with real cap room fail to sign a premier free agent, they could turn their interest to Satoransky on a one-year deal similar to what Philadelphia did with J.J. Redick, Phoenix did with Ariza, and Orlando did a couple seasons ago with Green. When franchises with real cap room fail to sign a premier free agent, they could turn their interest to Satoransky and make him an offer too lucrative for Washington to match.

If there’s any good news for the team, it’s that the collective bargaining agreement places limits on Bryant’s earnings and put the Wizards in a strong position to retain him. Offer sheets are restricted to the non-taxpayer mid-level exception in the first year, and a five percent raise in the second. Teams could leap his salary to the maximum in years three and four of an offer sheet, but the Wizards would still be able to match. Other CBA provisions would allow the Wizards to start a new contract with Bryant at 105% of the average salary, which would be approximately $9.5 million.

This is small consolation, however. Grunfeld and Leonsis have driven the franchise into a ditch. They’re expensive, lack talent, and don’t have the resources for a quick infusion. The team’s history suggests they may keep borrowing from the future by trading draft picks for players now, but these are short-term fixes destined to fail.

Trading Porter in a salary dump is yet one more example of their front office failure. The team’s on-court prospects won’t change until Leonsis pursues what they need most: new, competent leadership to provide the franchise with strategic direction that isn’t based on job preservation and delusion.

Return to Washington Wizards