How do you fix this team?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

How do you fix this team? 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

For a couple of years now, we've had a revolving door of players and coaches, but nothing seems to change the fact that we're a mentally weak, jumpshot-oriented team that has no heart and no toughness. I really was expecting to see a bit of a turnaround by now but it continues to be the same **** every day.

How do you fix this? What reasonable steps could we take to make this a 40-win franchise while still retaining 2012 cap room?

I guess the first step is to identify the problem. We have some dumb players, but there are dumb players on other teams yet they still succeed. Flip may not be an ideal coach, but Flip has succeeded on all levels, working with D-Leaguers, young players, veterans and superstars. He isn't the best coach in the league but his track record suggests he's at least average if not slightly above.

I think the problem has to be the players, specifically they're willingness to work hard, listen to their coaches, and take care of their bodies. We need a locker room shake up and an infusion of a healthy dose of professionalism.

The first thing I'd do is jettison any end-of-bench role players that aren't extremely hard working, tough and coachable. We need James Singletons at the end of the bench, not Yi Jianlians. I'm not sure how Cartier Martin, Mustafa Shakur, and Al Thornton act in practice, but if they're anything less than perfect in their work ethic and coachability, they need to be dumped. Yi too. Dump them right now if there's anybody in the D-League that deserves a shot.

I figure the biggest problem has to be one or more of McGee, Blatche and Young because they're the only constants - the only ones who have been around for the past 3 years. I have a hard time believing it's Young because I see nothing but consistent effort from him and a willingness to adapt his game to fit into the coach's scheme. Maybe his basketball IQ is an issue that prevents us from running most of Flip's playbook, but I get the sense that his problems aren't work ethic or ego. I'd keep Young if he costs $5M a year or less.

That leaves Blatche or McGee. We know McGee is a style over substance guy who can't grasp the plays. And we know Blatche has an awful motor and only seems to play hard every fifth game or so. One or both of them needs to be yanked from the starting lineup, with Booker starting. I'd bench McGee and start Blatche at center. I hate Blatche, but he's the only big man with any offensive aptitude so he pretty much has to play. His individual stats will probably improve in the center position which could boost his trade potential

This summer, I'd trade Blatche for a veteran big man with good attitude. I don't care if it's somebody in their late 20's or early 30's because I don't think Blatche has anymore upside potential anyhow. Blatche for Varejao would be awesome. Blatche for Robin Lopez and filler would be nice. Blatche for Haslem. Maybe a sign and trade of Blatche for McBob and filler. Something like that. Throw in our 2nd round pick to make it happen if necessary.

I'd grudgingly keep McGee. His potential is too big to give up on him now. But I'd make sure that he had competition for minutes from Seraphin and our veteran big. Next year is a contract year for McGee. If he doesn't shape up and earn his minutes, he'll lose a ton of money.

I'd pray Booker develops a jumper this summer.

I'd fire EG now. I think he's been pretty decent lately, but this team needs a new direction. We need a guy who isn't just good at making personnel decisions, he needs to set a tone of professionalism and accountability for the entire franchise from top to bottom. Now that the Trade Deadline has passed, there's really no reason to wait until the summer to dump EG. Fire him now and start shopping for a new GM. That way, the new GM has time to scout the draft.

I'd keep Flip for the remainder of the season and assess things again this summer. I cede there are financial realities involved in firing him. It may have to wait until 2012. Also, if Wall develops a jumpshot this summer, Flip's point-guard dominant offense might look a lot better next year. Maybe if Blatche is replaced with someone like Robin Lopez, and if we add a PF like Sullinger or Kanter, it might be worth it to give Flip one more season.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#2 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Tread water for 3 years, clear cap space, go for our own big three of Tyreke/Wall/Griffin. :D
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#3 » by dlts20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Fire Flip, get Dray healthy & motivated to workout in the Offseason, and get a fast break head coach who knows how to set screens to get guys to the rim while also getting our bigs in the post more
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Think rationally; not emotionally.

The bottom line is to lay the groundwork to get an outstanding big. Get the outstanding big. Then fill in the blanks.

In the meantime, player development has to improve. The first thing I'd do is get long-term answers at GM and Coach. Whether or not EG and Flip are good or bad, they're not the future of this organization. Ted's got to earn his stripes by finding the best GM he can for the future, and he should be in the process right now of finding that indivudual. Then the GM chooses the best coach he can for the future.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#5 » by cwb3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I get Ted's vision: be young, talented and hungry. Build in house thru draft and develop into a contender. What I do not know is if Ted really believes that part of the young "core" involves Blatche, McGee, and Young? It appears everyone HOPED those three + Wall was the talented core to build around. But Blatche does not have IT, McGee looks unlikely he will ever get IT, and NY? He of the three has made real gains as a player this year. Will it last and continue to improve, or are we getting fooled ala Blatche the last 25 games of last year.

If 2 of those 3 really are not going to hit IT. . .the Wizards are years away from anything. I like some of what I've seen from Seraphin and Booker, Martin seems to have regressed. But let's face it, with those guys you are hoping to groom serviceable BACKUP players. Not double/double guys playing 30+ minutes a game.

Its John Wall and 14 question marks going forward.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#6 » by tontoz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Priority number 1 should be get rid of Blatche. You can't win with a high usage guy who is inefficient, soft, has a low IQ and a weak motor.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#7 » by mhd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 pm

I disagree on getting rid of Blatche, because he at least has beef and is a pretty good passer. In terms of basketball skills, Blatche >>>>>>> McGee. McGee will likely cost more in an extension, something I'm not willing to provide. McGee simply has an atrocious basketball IQ. He constantly has goaltendings that are so stupid you see Josh Howard shaking his head.

Blatche hasn't played well this year for sure, but he actually showed some athleticism akin to last year with a dunk against Philly. His contract isn't horrible, and I think he's a better C than PF anyways. Play Booker next to Blatche. Booker's energy will rub off.

Bottom line, McGee isn't worth his potential extension.

On draft day, I'd trade McGee for the highest 1st rounder we could get. What about this deal: Bibby+McGee for Biedrins+GSW 1st round pick on draft day? Biedrins, by all accounts, works hard, rebounds, and is a good teamate. He's been nothing like his old self the past two years, but his contract isn't awful (9 million a year for 3 more years).

Regarding Nick, I'd keep him. He's NEVER gotten into any trouble in terms of outside the court since he's been here. He's likeable, has a game that compliment's Wall perfectly, and can defend. With our dearth of capable 3 point shooters and 1-1 scorers, Nick is a valued player for the future.

The Warriors pick will likely be arounf 8-13.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#8 » by tontoz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm

McGee is clueless too but he is not a high usage guy and he isn't inefficient, two major strikes against Blatche.

McGee is still cheap since he is on his rookie contract so there is no urgency to make a final decision on him now.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#9 » by mhd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:36 pm

tontoz wrote:McGee is clueless too but he is not a high usage guy and he isn't inefficient, two major strikes against Blatche.

McGee is still cheap since he is on his rookie contract so there is no urgency to make a final decision on him now.

Yeah, but he's on a contract year next year. I simply do not want to extend McGee considering he'll likely garner more than Blatche has. I'm done with McGee. He's an idiot on the court with his lack of B-Ball IQ. Blatche has always shown basketball instincts. Besides, a McGee+Bibby (expiring) deal would probably garner more in a trade than Blatche would.
Spence
Head Coach
And1: 35

Post#10 » by Spence » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:36 pm

nate33 wrote:How do you fix this?

A book of matches and half a ton of gasoline.
Satan is happy with your progress.
DC Pro Sports Report is a good site for DC pro sports news.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#11 » by tontoz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 pm

mhd wrote:
tontoz wrote:McGee is clueless too but he is not a high usage guy and he isn't inefficient, two major strikes against Blatche.

Yeah, but he's on a contract year next year. I simply do not want to extend McGee considering he'll likely garner more than Blatche has. I'm done with McGee. He's an idiot on the court with his lack of B-Ball IQ. Blatche has always shown basketball instincts. Besides, a McGee+Bibby (expiring) deal would probably garner more in a trade than Blatche would.

Blatche is in his 6th year and is still clueless. By now he should know that he shouldn't be dribbling behind his back/between his legs 20 feet from the basket.

McGee is only in his 3rd year and will surely garner plenty of trade interest even if he doesn't improve next season. As far as I am concerned they can both hit the road.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tontoz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Spence wrote:

Too cumbersome. C4 would be my choice.
McGully Culkin
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#13 » by McGully Culkin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Honestly, it starts with dumping Blatche. I've said it before, but he's a cancer who just doesn't "get it." Here's his most recent episode:

After an ugly exchange with a local, Dray (@drayblatche) tweeted:

"ok let's do this so everyone can see wat u bout let's meet n dc saturday after my game”

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/capi ... 20878.html

this was picked up by NBC4 and it's on their webpage. On top of it all, that wasn't even the end of it as far as the nonsense he was tweeting last night. Of course he said his account was "hacked." LOL.

He's a loser with a loser's mentality. You get him off the team and morale improves. I'd almost guarantee it. Addition by subtraction.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#14 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:48 pm

nate33 wrote:For a couple of years now, we've had a revolving door of players and coaches, but nothing seems to change the fact that we're a mentally weak, jumpshot-oriented team that has no heart and no toughness. I really was expecting to see a bit of a turnaround by now but it continues to be the same **** every day.

I don't buy the premise. You have to start evaluating from the time Ted took over. In that time, we've shed our worst contracts (and bad mojo) and gone young and designed a roster to suck this year for another high pick.

We're going to go into the lockout with Wall, our high lotto pick, Seraphin, Booker, McGee, Blatche, Young, Atlanta's pick, our second rounder or some consolidation thereof as our young players.

Howard, Thornton, Yi, Mo Evans are all expiring.

Lewis and Bibby are salary dead weight.

What happens next is pure guesswork, but based on what I've heard and think, we're in for a loooong painful work stoppage that is going to result in a fundamentally altered CBA. Only thing we can do is wait and see what it looks like, but I think Ted has prepared the roster as best he can for a day of reckoning. We're not going to have to cut anyone we don't want to in order to get under a hard cap. We're not going to be limited in our future ability to make trades or sign free agents.

So for now, we grin and bear it through another tough season. Ted's not an idiot. He's not going to keep Blatche or McGee here as central pieces if they can't get better (ask Tomas Fleischmann or Chris Bourque -- one-time Caps prospects who were moved/cut b/c they didn't pan out and the team wanted to make way for other guys who filled needs or were better).

Patience. We're good.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#15 » by BanndNDC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Spence wrote:

classic wingerism #11
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
507Mack
Junior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by 507Mack » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:56 pm

For a re-building effort, I'd say that EG has done pretty well. Let's ignore all the boobery of trading the 5th pick for Mike Miller and the Gilbert extension. As soon as we officially got into "blow up and re-build mode", you can't say he's done a crappy job. He drafted guys like Seraphin and Booker, who fit the mold as bangers and hard workers. He actually unloaded Arenas' contract. The trade this week made us younger, more flexible with $$, and brought us another 1st rounder. I say stay the course. Firing EG right now makes no sense, as he has done everything that Ted has asked him to do. I can't see how anyone could have blown this team up/rebuilt much better, while following Ted's formula.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#17 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 pm

BanndNDC wrote:
Spence wrote:

classic wingerism #11

:D
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Spence
Head Coach
And1: 35

Post#18 » by Spence » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:07 pm

BanndNDC wrote:
Spence wrote:

classic wingerism #11

Ah, another "Community" fan.
Satan is happy with your progress.
DC Pro Sports Report is a good site for DC pro sports news.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 pm

I agree with the poster who mentioned that when we went into tank and rebuild, Ernie has done a solid job. Let's put things in perspective here, with the trade for Crawford, we now have 4 1st round picks from last year's NBA Draft on our roster. We're younger, but not necessarily better.

I'd keep Blatche to be honest, and I would trade McGee for two reasons. 1) Blatche is signed long term, and with McGee due for an extension in a year, it's hard to figure out how you go about his extension, he hasn't produced much, but he's still young and still has a lot of potential 2) McGee will have a higher value on the market than Blatche. He's younger, taller, and less of a headcase.

Second, I would keep Flip Saunders. This isn't a question of if Flip is a good coach, because he is. The problem is the man has no talent to work with. He doesn't have a Billups or a Rip Hamilton, or a Rasheed Wallace on this team. It's a team full of young ins.

Third, I'd fire Ernie Grunfeld. The man has taken us as far as we can go, from the 2nd round of the playoffs to three straight years of lottery picks. His time here is done. Hire Kevin Pritchard and re-build that management side.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Mr. Grundle
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#20 » by Mr. Grundle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:14 pm

I agree with new coach and GM. I don't agree with getting rid of McGee and Blatche, yet. Blatche strikes me as a guy that where it might click for him around age 26-27. I'd keep him around through next season at least.

McGee I'm not sure it will ever click. He truly has no idea how to play organized basketball.

But I don't see the point in dumping them for veterans this offseason. We aren't expecting to compete for anything for a few years, so there is no reason to dump young potential for average veterans, yet.

I do agree the problem is that both of these guys are starters with the wrong attitude/mental makeup. Instead of dumping them, I'd send them to the bench. Use our high lotto picks the next two years on guys that play their position. The reason they start is because we have no other options. Use our lotto picks on tough, hard-working guys that play those positions. Make Dray and Javale earn the minutes they seem to feel they are entitled to. If they don't respond, then you know its time to give up on them.

Quick fixes never work. Changing the culture of this team started with the owner. Next in line should be the GM, coach, and then trickle down to the players. We can afford to be patient with the culture change part of this rebuild also.

Return to Washington Wizards