ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#1061 » by FAH1223 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 6:32 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Perhaps this belongs in the trade thread but I think Detroit and the Lakers would both have a lot to gain in trading Monroe for Gasol.

Gasol is a Center, not a PF. Lakers have played him out of position for a couple years now. The last few games he is back putting up his career averages playing the 5 with Howard out.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1062 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 6, 2013 7:50 pm

Hollins twice pointed out that when Gasol got in foul trouble, he couldn't put in another big to match up with Luis Scola and Marcin Gortat.

"One of the issues that I have is that neither Darrell or Ed (Davis) are fives. We don't have another big guy. We weren't able to play big and have two bigger people across the board because we don't have a bigger guy to put in the game."

In other words, Hollins no longer had Mo Speights or Hamed Haddadi because they were traded away.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... to-a-halt/

Memphis could be a good landing spot for Mozgov. Not sure what they would give up, though.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1063 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Feb 6, 2013 8:12 pm

I think Wallace has just made up his mind that he isn't happy with his job because his team made some trades where they weren't the winner from a talent standpoint and he's decided for whatever reason that he doesn't want to play Ed Davis for the time being. Gortat and Scola were -1 and -3 respectively for the game so the Grizz were hardly getting killed while those guys were out there. Gortat was in foul trouble, too, and only played 28 minutes. It was Jermaine O'Neal that turned the tide and he's hardly some behemoth who you need a C to defend. He probably wants Speights back but really, if he'd just have played Ed Davis rather than letting JO go for 14 points on 7 shots while Arthur scored 4 points on 10 shots, he'd have at least given himself a chance to win. More minutes for Ed Davis might not have worked, but really, this looks much more like the concept of a coach not liking change to younger players he hasn't had a chance to get used to yet, which is a pretty common phenomena.
Bucket! Bucket!
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1064 » by dobrojim » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:40 pm

Ironic that Mack gets bumped again for Pargo.

Agree with CCJ that it would make more sense to keep Mack.
Was he out of 10 day deals wrt the 6ers?

edit to answer my own question...yes his 2nd 10 day contract expired.
I guess the 6ers didn't feel it was worth it to sign him for the duration.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1065 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 7, 2013 9:17 pm

dobrojim wrote:Ironic that Mack gets bumped again for Pargo.

Agree with CCJ that it would make more sense to keep Mack.
Was he out of 10 day deals wrt the 6ers?

edit to answer my own question...yes his 2nd 10 day contract expired.
I guess the 6ers didn't feel it was worth it to sign him for the duration.

not the same Pargo, its for Jeremy Pargo
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1066 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:29 pm

Howard had missed the last three games -- all wins for the Lakers -- but not at the decision of trainers or D'Antoni. According to D'Antoni, Howard could have played.

"Yeah, he's been cleared for a while," he said. "I mean, he's always clear because he has a tear. It's going to be there but he had pain, so obviously he's not going to play with the pain, and he felt better today. That's why he played."

There's that "pain" shot again. The same one that Kobe Bryant gave Howard prior to Thursday's game. Bryant said to ESPNBoston.com, "We don't have time for [Howard's shoulder] to heal. We need some urgency." Bryant also said that pain is "something that you have to balance out and manage."

D'Antoni echoed that after Thursday's loss, saying, "Well, [Howard] has to [work his way through pain] because we don't have a whole lot of other solutions right now with Pau [Gasol] being out especially."

<snip>

"I can't get involved with what they've been saying to the media," Howard told CSNNE.com. "I understand they've been saying certain things, but I know my health. I haven't been cleared for weeks to play.

"This is my body, and I have to control my body and my future and my career. So I can't worry about anybody else."

<snip>

"Hopefully they'll start supporting me the way they need to," Howard told CSNNE.com. "Until then, I'm going to continue to do whatever I can to help our team win."

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston- ... eedID=3352

I know what the contract math is, but do we really think Howard is going to re-sign in LA? Would Kobe even support it if he did? I'm not really seeing this working out.

If they can get something like Asik+Patterson+Parsons+picks (including the TOR pick) for him from the Rockets, then I think they need to take that deal.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1067 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:55 pm

The TOR pick is with OKC from the Harden trade. Still, I wonder if that isn't the best option for the Lakers, even if they'll never do anything like it. It's going to take a bit of luck and a favour from Dwight, but the Rockets could be on the verge of completing a pretty massive rebuild and coming back with Dwight and Harden. I'm not sure the Rockets would necessarily throw that package at the Lakers, either, though, since they might be better off just letting Howard get more and more frustrated with the Lakers and then offer up a pittance in a sign and trade in the offseason when they'll have the money to sign him outright anyway.
Bucket! Bucket!
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1068 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:55 pm

why would the Rockets give up assets at this point to sign him? They have enough cap room this offseason to sign him to a 4 year max contract.

The Lakers will lose him for nothing and that is the risk they took.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1069 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 8, 2013 8:34 pm

Asik's playing much better than Dwight at a significantly lower salary. I think the Rockets are only missing a good PF to shore up the defense and consistency. They've got all the pieces set to rival OKC as a dominant power in the league for a long time to come.

Josh Smith is the big name, but Millsap, Speights, McRoberts would all be good consolation prizes. Maybe we can trade Seraphin for one of their spare pieces or picks.
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#1070 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 8, 2013 8:39 pm

The Cavs are prepared to offer Oden a Two-year deal, his health, still a mystery.
http://sulia.com/channel/cleveland-cava ... ce=twitter
closg00
RealGM

Post#1071 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Don't know how comfortable they are to play-in, but I love the new GSW jersey with sleeves. It's like when Apple introduced the different colored iMacs when there was a sea of beige. Nice!
http://deadspin.com/5983405/the-golden- ... ome-reason
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1072 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:12 pm

^ Yeah, I'm also a fan of the GSW unis. It has a very international feel, almost soccer-esque. I could see that style being popular in Europe (which it wouldn't surprise me if it factored in to the design).
closg00
RealGM

Post#1073 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Just read a tweet that the Mavs are strongly considering signing Mack. Don't know if its just a 10-day.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1074 » by dangermouse » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:22 am

Rose says he won't be back until he is 110%.

I guess that rules him out forever, as that is a mathematical impossibility.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1075 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

^ Yeah, it was curious to hear him say with 2 months and 30 games left that he's fine not coming back at all this year. I understand him feeling that way, but why say that at that? Interestingly, the Boozer trade talk might confirm that Rose isn't likely to come back this year.

League sources said last week the Raptors were told the Carlos Boozer and Nate Robinson deal for Andrea Bargnani and John Lucas III was available whenever they wanted it.

That move could take the Bulls below the luxury-tax threshold. Surely the Bulls would like to avoid paying tax if Rose doesn't play this season.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... rrick-rose

So if they aren't going to win, they might as well start thinking about money. I guess getting under the tax this year and paying Bargs something like 25% less than what Boozer will make over the next two years is better than being forced to amnesty Boozer over the summer.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1076 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:14 pm

closg00 wrote:Just read a tweet that the Mavs are strongly considering signing Mack. Don't know if its just a 10-day.

There was a tweet from Mack (I saw it on Hoopshype.com) the other day. He said "headed to Houston" - and didn't elaborate.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#1077 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:Just read a tweet that the Mavs are strongly considering signing Mack. Don't know if its just a 10-day.

There was a tweet from Mack (I saw it on Hoopshype.com) the other day. He said "headed to Houston" - and didn't elaborate.

He'll probably end up on the Spurs and ride the playoff train to the finals. Go Sh'Mack!
closg00
RealGM

Post#1078 » by closg00 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 pm

In the Mack vs Pargo battle, Pargo wins. Philly signs Pargo for the remainder of the year.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#1079 » by AFM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 pm

That's Jeremy Pargo dude
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#1080 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 am