Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:09 pm

dangermouse wrote:With all these crazy deals being given out, maybe now is the time to amnesty Blatche instead of hoping to raise his trade value or whatever the plan is. Hasheem Thabeet and Supercool Beas just got contracts, so...

Some GM is likely to see he still has potential and sign him up, and leave Ted paying like 1/3 of the original deal...

This is a very good point. Perhaps EG can call around and get an idea if anybody is interested in claiming Blatche off of waivers. If they are, then amnesty him.

I don't think we can amnesty him until July 11th. Hopefully, there will still be teams with cap room by then.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#42 » by Nivek » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:15 pm

I can see the Nash to the Lakers move NOT working out for the Lakers because of how Kobe operates. Nash is a guy who works best with the ball in his hands. Kobe is a guy who wants the offense to run through him. Plus there's Bynum and Gasol, or perhaps Howard and Gasol. They should be able to figure it out, but there's potential for things to go awry. At very least, it's going to be a team loaded with talent. They could have 4 All-Stars.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#43 » by hands11 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:24 pm

verbal8 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Nash to LAL ... very interesting.

Should be interesting to see how this affects the Howard and Bynum situation.
I could argue it from either side. He could make Bynum even better.

hands11 wrote:At least he is not traded into our conference. Not to Miami. Not to New York.

I don't think Nash matters too much to the Wizards. I think even the most optimistic think we are a couple years away from being a contender. We need Wall and at least one of Beal or Serpahin to develop into elite players. At that point Nash will probably be retired.

I think playing more often against one of the all time great PGs would help rather than hinder Wall's development.

Sure it matters. What the Wizards need this year is wins so they can get playoff experience. If Nash landed on a Eastern team that was a lower to middle playoff team that makes it harder for the Wizards to sneak in. At this stage of the rebuild, getting these younger players some playoff experience is a key goal. They need to get tested at that level of play because it is totally different then the regular season. Getting Beal that experience in year one would be huge. Kevin has some international experience which helps but he need to taste some NBA playoff experience now.

Wall has plenty of good PGs to go against regardless.

So Miami will be there. So will Boston. After that, I'm not counting any of the other teams that made it last year as solidly in until I see the final rosters. With the Wizards, we mostly know what their roster is. As of today, with Wall stepping up, they are in striking range.

Chicago will not have Rose. Indy lost Hibbert. Atlanta lost Joe Johnson. Orlando is a mess. New York was also a mess last year. Philly was border line and could lose Iggy. Look at MIL's roster and record last year.

The East is far from a establish conference. There is room for the Wizards to step up into the lower to mid playoff picture. But the Wiz are still very young so it is hard to project. But at least their young talent are solid character players that you can project with some confidence what they will do. We aren't talking Nick and McGee projections. We are talking Wall, Beal, Kevin, Booker, Ves. I thrust they will all produce in a solid reliable way more then young players we had in the past.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#44 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:37 pm

Nivek wrote:I can see the Nash to the Lakers move NOT working out for the Lakers because of how Kobe operates. Nash is a guy who works best with the ball in his hands. Kobe is a guy who wants the offense to run through him. Plus there's Bynum and Gasol, or perhaps Howard and Gasol. They should be able to figure it out, but there's potential for things to go awry. At very least, it's going to be a team loaded with talent. They could have 4 All-Stars.

I think there will be some growing pains like Miami had with Lebron and Wade, but I think they'll figure it out. And I don't think it'll take as long to figure out either. Their skills are much easier to mesh than the skills of Lebron and Wade. Both Kobe and Nash are deadly spot-up shooters as well as deadly ball handlers.

One of the main benefits is that Kobe shouldn't have to bear so much of the scoring burden. That'll keep his legs fresh, and perhaps more importantly, it'll keep Gasol and Bynum more engaged.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#45 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:42 pm

nate33 wrote:Yeah, the Nash situation is great. It'll be even better if Howard joins LA. The East will remain weak so things are easier for the Wizards, yet Miami might be thwarted from winning another championship for a couple of years. It's the best of both worlds! And to top it off, LA should fizzle by the time we become contenders.

Boston got a real C when they got Sullinger. KG is not done, totally. They just signed Jason Terry, and he's still got game. Avery Bradley is a solid player. Rondo is at near superstar level. I think the Cs are just one scoring wing away from still having a very solid, title-contending team. They can still challenge Miami in the east.

The Lakers definitely didn't get any worse with Steve Nash. :o They gave up nothing to get him. I kind of think they need to keep their team the way it is and leave Howard and his bad back and worse attitude alone. What Nash will do, I believe is take scoring pressure off of Kobe. Kobe's shot jacking was what killed LAL, along with bad defense at times by their power players. I will be interested to see how much better the Lakers are with Nash. Rumor has it the Lakers are pursuing Antawn Jamison. Nash wants Grant Hill, but to me that's not a good move with Artest/MWP on the team.
Bye bye Beal.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#46 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:50 pm

Heard Nash's comments (from last week) about how hard it would be to put on a Lakers uniform after all those years of competing in the Division & in the playoffs, which was my first reaction when I heard the news. So were does Nash-to-the-Lakers fit in the pantheon of stars going to their rivals? Is it Clemens-to-the-Yankees? Favre-to-the-Vikings? Laufenburg-to-the-Cowboys?
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#47 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:53 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote: I kind of think they need to keep their team the way it is and leave Howard and his bad back and worse attitude alone.

I don't think Howard's attitude will be much of a problem for LA. Yeah he is a drama queen, but at least he plays hard every single game. You can't say the same thing about Bynum. Howard is also a much more disruptive team defender. LA is going to need that with a defensive sieve like Nash at PG and an aging Kobe at SG.
RealGM

Post#48 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:56 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:Heard Nash's comments (from last week) about how hard it would be to put on a Lakers uniform after all those years of competing in the Division & in the playoffs, which was my first reaction when I heard the news. So were does Nash-to-the-Lakers fit in the pantheon of stars going to their rivals? Is it Clemens-to-the-Yankees? Favre-to-the-Vikings? Laufenburg-to-the-Cowboys?

Sev, good question. I think it is like Favre to Minnesota. I could not even imagine him being a Viking after all those years being Packers QB! It was like seeing Sonny Jurgensen in a Cowboy's uni, just didn't seem right.

The funny thing was that Brett Favre, old at the time, had his best QB year of all with Minnesota.

If it had not been for the Bounty Gate Saints hitting him low, late, etc. and injuring him in the playoffs, I think Favre would have won another Super Bowl. (BTW I remember watching that game with my son and telling him the Saint were playing dirty. Thought the refs were letting it happen, too)…

I can see Nash having a lot of success with LAL, but it will take a while to get used to him playing with Kobe. It's like seeing Red Riding Hood decide she wants to be the Big Bad Wolf's girl. Not the best analogy, but you know what I mean. :D
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#49 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:56 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Boston got a real C when they got Sullinger. KG is not done, totally. They just signed Jason Terry, and he's still got game. Avery Bradley is a solid player. Rondo is at near superstar level. I think the Cs are just one scoring wing away from still having a very solid, title-contending team. They can still challenge Miami in the east.

I agree that Boston has enough in the tank for one more run. But I think it's more because of the acquisition of Jason Terry and the health of Jeff Green. Fab Melo might be of some use as a banger. I think Sullinger is going to be a bust though.
RealGM

Post#50 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Boston got a real C when they got Sullinger. KG is not done, totally. They just signed Jason Terry, and he's still got game. Avery Bradley is a solid player. Rondo is at near superstar level. I think the Cs are just one scoring wing away from still having a very solid, title-contending team. They can still challenge Miami in the east.

I agree that Boston has enough in the tank for one more run. But I think it's more because of the acquisition of Jason Terry and the health of Jeff Green. Fab Melo might be of some use as a banger. I think Sullinger is going to be a bust though.

nate, we all seem to agree that Sullinger is going to have some physical challenges at the next level. I know you live in Ohio and like Aaron Craft's chances better, right? What I believe is Jared Sullinger got EXTREMELY lucky going late and going to Boston. That is the same team that had Big Baby Davis, a very similar talent to Sullinger. What I think is Sullinger is going to be able to blend in and be a really good role player because he can do two things: shoot the ball and positionally rebound.

Sullinger was very successful in college and he is still a young 20 years old. The guy is a bad athlete but he's a heck of a basketball player. They can rehab his back and they can tone him up just like Big Baby. Sullinger had a down year because of the back, most likely.

If he gets his health back, I think Sullinger will have a solid run with Boston, playing for Doc Rivers and with some HOF players. He will be surprisingly good IMHO.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#51 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:06 pm

So the Bucks offer on the table for Ilyasova, is 5-year $40 mil.

Ps. I think Sullinger is going to be fine with the Celtics, not a bust at all, he can hit from outside and bang and battle in the post. He's a good-fit for the way the Celts play.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#52 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:09 pm

nate33 wrote:

I love SUllinger in Boston. I think he'll immediately produce in the pick and pop game with Rondo. Having him on the court with KG will help whatever defensive issues he creates, and he's still going to board well. He'll be as good as Big Baby was for them. Lots of work left to do, but I think Boston has helped themselves a lot.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#53 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:12 pm

nate, I forgot the Cs got Jeff Green back. My comment about scoring wing … disregard that.

The Cs have a solid chance to make things really interesting against the Heat. Jason Terry isn't going to like Chalmers and Norris Cole get there's when Rondo is fatigued from carrying Boston.

I am not a Jeff Green fan, though. Perhaps he can help.
Bye bye Beal.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#54 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:12 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Severn Hoos wrote:Heard Nash's comments (from last week) about how hard it would be to put on a Lakers uniform after all those years of competing in the Division & in the playoffs, which was my first reaction when I heard the news. So were does Nash-to-the-Lakers fit in the pantheon of stars going to their rivals? Is it Clemens-to-the-Yankees? Favre-to-the-Vikings? Laufenburg-to-the-Cowboys?

Sev, good question. I think it is like Favre to Minnesota. I could not even imagine him being a Viking after all those years being Packers QB! It was like seeing Sonny Jurgensen in a Cowboy's uni, just didn't seem right.

The funny thing was that Brett Favre, old at the time, had his best QB year of all with Minnesota.

It could also be Deon Sanders to the Redskins lol

However I think it will probably work to the Lakers advantage, although it may not be enough to win a championship.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#55 » by Upper Decker » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:14 pm

Nivek wrote:I can see the Nash to the Lakers move NOT working out for the Lakers because of how Kobe operates. Nash is a guy who works best with the ball in his hands. Kobe is a guy who wants the offense to run through him. Plus there's Bynum and Gasol, or perhaps Howard and Gasol. They should be able to figure it out, but there's potential for things to go awry. At very least, it's going to be a team loaded with talent. They could have 4 All-Stars.

This was my first reaction. I'm not certain Kobe will concede his game very much because his unearthly desire to prove himself as the alpha-dog. He's just not programmed otherwise. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong. However, the real issue that hasn’t been addressed is LA’s inability to guard opposing PG’s. Westbrook or Parker will still blow up the Lakers in the playoffs. The Lakers lost in the playoffs because the following three reasons:

1) Can’t guard PG’s
2) Gasol plays like a coward
3) Bynum doesn’t have any heart

None of these three areas were improved with the trade, in fact, I think they became weaker at guarding PG’s. They’ll be fun to watch on offense between Nash and Kobe if they develop chemistry.

My final concern with the trade is father time, who is undefeated. Nash will turn 39 next year. I know he’s a health freak, but who is the last 40 y.o. elite professional athlete? Between Kobe and Nash the Lakers starting back court has played over 90,000 minutes. That’s an insane about of PT – something’s gotta give.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:18 pm

Upper Decker wrote:

This was my first reaction. I'm not certain Kobe will concede his game very much because his unearthly desire to prove himself as the alpha-dog. He's just not programmed otherwise. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong. However, the real issue that hasn’t been addressed is LA’s inability to guard opposing PG’s. Westbrook or Parker will still blow up the Lakers in the playoffs. The Lakers lost in the playoffs because the following three reasons:

1) Can’t guard PG’s

Sounds like they're off to see the Wizard!

[trying really hard to refrain from the Artest/Scarecrow line...]
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
RealGM

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:31 pm

Wasn't the Scarecrow the one who sang, "If I only had a brain?"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs[/youtube]

I believe in doing due diligence.

My in depth, probative, youtube research has revealed in fact that the scarecrow wasn't afraid of anything and he acknowledge he had no brains. Sounds like Ron Ron to me.

I think the Pau lacks playoff courage. (Cowardly Lion)

Andrew Bynum doesn't really care. He seemingly has no heart other than self-motivation. (Call him a me-first Tin Man)

I don't know why I am being so hard on Steve Nash, but he just became Dorothy to Kobe's Wicked Witch. :)
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#58 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:35 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:1) Can’t guard PG’s

Sounds like they're off to see the Wizard!

[trying really hard to refrain from the Artest/Scarecrow line...]

Hysterical.

Bynum needs a heart.
Gasol needs courage.
Artest needs a brain.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 5, 2012 4:09 pm

c'mon guys, there's gotta be a photoshop in there somewhere, right?

Take this picture:

Add in Gasol, Artest, Bynum from here:

With Nash in Dorothy's place, and you're all set!

:D
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#60 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 5, 2012 4:09 pm

The Lakers just need to acquire Howard and pay Phil Jackson whatever he wants to come back and coach them to another couple titles.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards