Wiz trade Shard and 2nd rounder for Okafor and Ariza-Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Wiz trade Shard and 2nd rounder for Okafor and Ariza-Par 

Post#361 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 6, 2013 4:11 am

Depends on what their strategy is..

If you think Wall and Beal have to be in the playoffs next year because that is your path to success, then I don't think you make the trade and you look toward FA in 2014/15

If you think you can stomach on more tank lottery year because you want a piece of the top talent in the following draft, then you make the trade.

Right now the Wizards have 3 picks and they can get a good pull from this draft. If they need another pick, they have ways of doing that without trading Trevor A right now. Maybe the way are somewhat long shots but they might be able to buy one or move Singleton for another 2nd.

Since I think their goal is the first one, I doubt they trade Trevor A for CB and a pick. CB is will be 34 next year. Not sure how serious the rumor was but if EG was really going to do that, I have no idea what he was thinking.

I'm not saying the 2nd idea isn't a legit strategy.

Best strategy would be to make the playoff next year and acquire a pick from a team that ends up injured so their pick is a lottery pick. Trade with any of the gutter teams or with losers like Portland, MLK or Philly.

Also, maybe Thomas can bring us something. He should be worth at least what we spend on him.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#362 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 6, 2013 9:29 am

montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:When the losses piled up there wasn't any of the old stuff. I don't think folks drank more liquor, went to lap dances, gambled and argued, or brought guns.

You mean on the team, or over at my house?

monte, I couldn't hate on Blatche because I was doing much the same thing when I was his age--except for the getting shot and getting caught part. Also, sharing "services" of one "lady" with another dude was never something I did. Like Chuck Norris in Expendables II, I work alone.

I don't mean to be a hypocrite and judge Andray or Gilbert. I felt like Gil was trying to get that guy up off of him and I understood where he was coming from day one. Like I said back then if I were in Flip's shoes those guys could have shot at each other and if nobody got hit and there was no surveillance video, I would have had the slug recovered, the wall fixed, and two grown assed men nip it. They needed mediation of sorts. If it turns out Crittenton was that crazy where reason wouldn't work he would have been dealt with unreasonably.

History and just an older guy talking late at night. I thought that whole thing was stupid. I've seen coworkers at each other's throats and weapons not too far from the scene. The Wizards organization overreacted in a way. More, they dumped on a franchise hero when the real culprit is now on trial for murder. Not to say Crittenton didn't feel justifiably mad...
Bye bye Beal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#363 » by keynote » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:30 am

Here's an example of Okafor showing some value off the court. Okafor may not be part of the future the way that, say, a Ryan Anderson would've been, but if he's truly responsible for steering Wall in the right direction, he might be doing more to justify his contract (and the missed opportunity cost) than we originally thought.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

Wall had hit the bottom of one of his worst career slumps during a late February loss to Detroit and didn’t respond well to getting benched after committing five turnovers in the first quarter of the 96-95 loss. He publicly criticized his teammates for not catching his passes, and continued to pout and complain in the locker room about sitting most of the fourth quarter.

When Okafor attempted to explain afterward why Coach Randy Wittman had to make the decision to give A.J. Price more playing time, Wall snapped back, leading to a heated argument that was audible from the walls on the other side of the training room...

...Wall was unaccustomed to having a teammate challenge him, but in hindsight, he couldn’t disagree with anything that Okafor told him: Wittman had to go with someone else if he was ineffective and Wall has to trust that the coach is doing what was in the best interest of the team, which should always come first

“It wasn’t nothing bad. I felt like, what he said was right,” Wall said of Okafor. “It was all the right things at the right time. 'You’ve got to learn how to control your anger more.' Ever since that day forward, I became more focused. Came to practice the next day, talked to him, put it behind us and I just went out there and tried to play basketball. Didn’t hold no grudges.”

What followed after the encounter has been the best basketball of Wall’s young career. Beginning with the next game on March 1 against the New York Knicks – the Wizards’ opponent on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden – the third-year point guard has been on a statistical tear that has changed perceptions of his career and shown that his talents are no longer stagnating...

...“Having more years under my belt having those guys talking to me as much as possible, and we’re not yelling or fussing, but we can say, ‘That’s not a good shot,’ ” Wall said. Okafor “was telling me it wasn’t just because I wasn’t doing the right thing, you just have to have somebody to run the offense and get things done. I think I’ve improved.”
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#364 » by montestewart » Tue Apr 9, 2013 11:58 am

Coming back from injury during an essentially make-it-or-break-it year, Wall's play had ranged from okay to rank butt, and he was laying the blame on teammates while saying he was top-5 and deserved a max contract. That talk with Okafor might have saved his career.
hands11
Banned User

Post#365 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:05 am

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... l-and-beal

Trevor Ariza is coming off one of the better years of his NBA career. He posted a career-high three-point percentage, shot more efficiently than any year since his 2008-09 title season with the Lakers and found minutes as a super sub despite the improvement of Martell Webster.

As for the suggestion to get stronger and get in the paint more so he can get more FTs, I remember a exit interview where he said he would be working on this strength.

I think Trevor A is an under rated player by this board. If they keep him, I think he can have a big year with them. Otto isn't going to hit the ground running. They are going to need Trevor A.

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#366 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23 am

I've always liked Okafor and thought he would help the team but I'm in the "go bad, load up on talent, and only when the talent starts producing, deal the excess for veterans to help" school of rebuilding a poor franchise. I think they have tried to shortcut the building a couple of times (the Foye/Miller and Nene deals as well) which I disapproved of.

Problem with the trade when it was made was that it looked like it would hurt our potential of getting young talent that could grow with Wall both in terms of cap room and in terms of hurting the tank. As it turns out, the tank worked anyway thanks to Wall's injury and some fortunate ping-pong balls and now that those contracts are coming closer to expiring, the trade is looking better.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#367 » by FreeBalling » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 am

Gilbert for Lewis...my favorite Wizard. Sucks he never got 100% healthy. However, I'm looking forward to the playoffs this year.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
hands11
Banned User

Post#368 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:45 am

FreeBalling wrote:Gilbert for Lewis...my favorite Wizard. Sucks he never got 100% healthy. However, I'm looking forward to the playoffs this year.

I think I'm going to get a game package this year.

Any one here have any advice ?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#369 » by montestewart » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 am

hands11 wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:Gilbert for Lewis...my favorite Wizard. Sucks he never got 100% healthy. However, I'm looking forward to the playoffs this year.

I think I'm going to get a game package this year.

Any one here have any advice ?

If your seat's on or near the aisle, make sure that aisle is not between you and the court, or you'll go crazy with all the people in your way. My first year, I was on the wrong side of the aisle, and merely switching to the other side was 100% better.

I didn't get tickets last year, and I've heard partial package rules have changed. Might do better getting a full season and splitting with someone.
hands11
Banned User

Post#370 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 2, 2013 11:20 pm

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ec17ed0000

25:30 mark he talks about Megatron

Okafor has really been helping other players to get in better shape. A work out warrior.

He is only 30. Sounds like he might be one of those bigs that can play well into his mid 30s.

I always thought there was a decent chance they kept him. And now I starting to think its even more likely.

I wonder how cheaply they could resign him.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#371 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 2, 2013 11:44 pm

hands11 wrote:http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/vip-lunch-leonsis-addresses-sth/index.jsp?tagId=0000013b-206c-db26-af3b-edec17ed0000

25:30 mark he talks about Megatron

Okafor has really been helping other players to get in better shape. A work out warrior.

He is only 30. Sounds like he might be one of those bigs that can play well into his mid 30s.

I always thought there was a decent chance they kept him. And not I starting to think its even more likely.

I wonder how cheaply they could resign him.

If we can get him for somewhere around 8-9m I'll be good.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#372 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 3, 2013 12:06 am

Yup. I'd place the odds at better than 50% that Okafor is on this team in 2014/15. I think the Wizards will try to sign a younger free agent big with more potential - somebody like Cousins - but will ultimately strike out. Plan B would be to resign Okafor as a stopgap to the shortest deal he will agree to - hopefully 2 years for less than $10M per year.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#373 » by jivelikenice » Sat Aug 3, 2013 12:50 pm

nate33 wrote:Yup. I'd place the odds at better than 50% that Okafor is on this team in 2014/15. I think the Wizards will try to sign a younger free agent big with more potential - somebody like Cousins - but will ultimately strike out. Plan B would be to resign Okafor as a stopgap to the shortest deal he will agree to - hopefully 2 years for less than $10M per year.

You don't think they'd be more likely to make a deal for a B caliber player like Ilyasova or Young at that point using next years pick?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#374 » by Wizardspride » Sat Aug 3, 2013 1:08 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
nate33 wrote:Yup. I'd place the odds at better than 50% that Okafor is on this team in 2014/15. I think the Wizards will try to sign a younger free agent big with more potential - somebody like Cousins - but will ultimately strike out. Plan B would be to resign Okafor as a stopgap to the shortest deal he will agree to - hopefully 2 years for less than $10M per year.

You don't think they'd be more likely to make a deal for a B caliber player like Ilyasova or Young at that point using next years pick?

I don't.

Unless that B caliber player is a center.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#375 » by jivelikenice » Sat Aug 3, 2013 4:44 pm

I don't see them having big money in two 32 yr old big men. Gortat would be a better investment if you strike out on the bigger free agents.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,976

Post#376 » by DCZards » Sat Aug 3, 2013 6:12 pm

I would definitely try to resign Emeka--at the right price of course. A tough and rugged defender, rebounder and shotblocker in the paint is a valuable asset, even if they can only be counted on to score 8-10 pts. per game. Tyson Chandler filled that role for a championship Mavs team as well as a gold medal winning Olympic team.

It also doesn't hurt that Okafor is smart, a team leader and a workout warrior.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#377 » by barelyawake » Sat Aug 3, 2013 7:27 pm

DCZards wrote:I would definitely try to resign Emeka--at the right price of course. A tough and rugged defender, rebounder and shotblocker in the paint is a valuable asset, even if they can only be counted on to score 8-10 pts. per game. Tyson Chandler filled that role for a championship Mavs team as well as a gold medal winning Olympic team.

The Mavs had Dirk. We don't. Okafor is great, if we had a star big next to him. We don't. If management thinks we are set for the next three to four years, they will be wasting the greatest opportunity the Wiz have had in decades. The team as constructed will peak at a sixth seed, as we all wait for Porter to develop into a star (which won't happen). Okafor is the heart of the team? Good. I actually agree. Keep him. But, now somehow flip Nene (and future picks) for a star -- which will never happen. If Wiz management has such a lack of vision to not see the limitations of this team (before it happens), we need new management who has some semblance of vision -- because this junk is predictable. We need another star or Wiz management is just wasting everyone's time. This season (or next offseason) is time to go all in with future picks and Porter as bait (if we keep Okafor).

The best outcome is Cousins C/Okafor PF. How we get there is what Wiz management, and Wall, need to be working tirelessly on. And that takes extensive, contingency planning -- the one area our management has failed at repeatly. Ted needs to know that, and medical staff, have been our weakness (and demand better future thinking). That is the one thing, as an owner, he can do. If I were Ted, I would demand to see a three year plan outlined with every possible contingency.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#378 » by popper » Sat Aug 3, 2013 7:42 pm

barelyawake wrote:
DCZards wrote:I would definitely try to resign Emeka--at the right price of course. A tough and rugged defender, rebounder and shotblocker in the paint is a valuable asset, even if they can only be counted on to score 8-10 pts. per game. Tyson Chandler filled that role for a championship Mavs team as well as a gold medal winning Olympic team.

The Mavs had Dirk. We don't. Okafor is great, if we had a star big next to him. We don't. If management thinks we are set for the next three to four years, they will be wasting the greatest opportunity the Wiz have had in decades. The team as constructed will peak at a sixth seed, as we all wait for Porter to develop into a star (which won't happen). Okafor is the heart of the team? Good. I actually agree. Keep him. But, now somehow flip Nene (and future picks) for a star -- which will never happen. If Wiz management has such a lack of vision to not see the limitations of this team (before it happens), we need new management who has some semblance of vision -- because this junk is predictable. We need another star or Wiz management is just wasting everyone's time. This season (or next offseason) is time to go all in with future picks and Porter as bait (if we keep Okafor).

The best outcome is Cousins C/Okafor PF. How we get there is what Wiz management, and Wall, need to be working tirelessly on. And that takes extensive, contingency planning -- the one area our management has failed at repeatly. Ted needs to know that, and medical staff, have been our weakness (and demand better future thinking). That is the one thing, as an owner, he can do. If I were Ted, I would demand to see a three year plan outlined with every possible contingency.

Really good points. I'm not sure who that player is (maybe Cousins, maybe someone else) but I agree we must be more strategic if we hope to build a championship team.
hands11
Banned User

Post#379 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 3, 2013 11:22 pm

barelyawake wrote:

Right. I'm sure they aren't mapping this out :roll:

And people need to stop with the medical staff stuff. That is so yesterdays news. The way they are dealing with injuries is vastly improved. They are being patient, rehabbing and using specialist. Look how well things turned out for Wall. All the sorry complaining on here about how he would return to early and get injured again and require surgery was dead wrong.

Same predictions for Webster. Wrong.
Same for Okafor.. Wrong

Nene was predictable but that was because of Nene. He never rested. Now he is.

Beal is now on the same rehab program and he will be healthy this year as well. Beal was Beals problem. To young to know his limits. Know he is maturing.

Are they as proactive and methodical as PHX.. Not that i know of. But neither is any other team. But it does seem that they have gotten their acts together. Things have gotten better since Ted took over. Remember, one year was Teds first with lots of turnover and lots to do. The 2nd was a strike year where the players were on their own. Last year was the first good off season the team could monitor the players since Ted got here. The first under Randy. Well they figured out what Wall was doing to himself and addressed it. They waited. They got him healthy and now things look like Wall is on track to reach his potential. They seem to have everyone on a program this summer. Kevin is down to 10% body fat and targeting 8% as his goal. Ves didn't just run overseas like he planned to start. He showed up for summer ball.

Stop living in the past. Enjoy the present which is actually favorable.

We had gloom and doom days around here for many years. But things are looking much brighter now for this organization. They have a much better club then they did 3 years ago. And its isn't stuck. Lots of ways to make it better moving forward. They have already expressed the plan. Make the playoff. Get Wall and Beal that experience. Improve the franchise profile and DC as a major basketball town. Land big name FA.

They actually did have a plan. And we have an owner who actually shares what it is. And it is working out. Trevor A and Okafor was no abandoning that plan like people said it was. It was in line with it. They were doing what was best for their two best long term assets. Wall and Beal vs dreaming of what they would get in FA with cap space before the team was able to really pull that off. Look at Dallas who had a much better reputation to attack players and cap space. What did they land. Monte Ellis ? Jose is a nice player but 4 years of him with Ellis is getting you no where. Oh, and they landed Samuel Dalembert. Talk about building a dead end team. Time to blow that thing up.

I would say Ted/EG did well evaluating the reality of FA and the risk involved of going into it given where the team was in their rebuild. They talk to people. They know what they thought. They went with what was doable. Risk/Reward vs wild speculative dreaming on a sport board.

We have Wall and Beal. Its took tanking to get them. We have some nice vets and we have options to resign them or to gain cap space. Don't sleep on Nene. Now we make the playoffs. They make a name for themselves. The they attack players like Dirk to come join them. Then you challenge for a title.

Players like Cousins are fun for some to talk about, but he is a flake so far. He isn't a winner. He is a huge risk. Keep adding winners instead. Hell, I wouldn't even want Howard on my team. To much of a bitch. I'd take an old Dirk over either of them. Dirk is a winner. Actually a franchise guy that is a winner. Like you take a KG or PP, you take a Dirk, even if its a Dirk winding down his career.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#380 » by barelyawake » Sun Aug 4, 2013 12:05 am

Hands, I'm unsure who you are arguing with. Signing Dirk = getting a star. It also probably means letting Okafor walk. I'm unsure how you think what you posted is in disagreement with what I wrote. If Wiz management can swing getting Dirk, I would have no complaints. I said IF management thinks we are set with our current roster. I never said they were. I truly hope they are not.

However, EG did think much more of Blatche than he should have (when there were obvious signs that he wasn't to be relied upon as a star option). IF management feels the same about Porter, and bases our future on him being a star player, then I have a problem. IF...

Return to Washington Wizards