ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin Thread - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gordito
Rookie
And1: 33

Re: Kevin Seraphin Thread - Part II 

Post#91 » by gordito » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 am

What's with this guy? I had a lot of faith in him before, but I'm sick and tired of seeing sub-5 rebound games (which is crazy considering his girth and length) and him scoring 15 points on 15 shots with no free throw attempts.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#92 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 pm

I still love Seraphin but this was posted on extremeskins, and is **** hysterical

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blog ... -Flow1.jpg
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#93 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

nuposse04 wrote:I still love Seraphin but this was posted on extremeskins, and is **** hysterical

That's great stuff. It's funny because it's true. My favorite one is the process flow for receiving the ball 15 feet out.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#94 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm

:lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#95 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Back to his old way.

Last 5 games by rebouding.

FTAs

Pts the last 3 games

Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#96 » by Halcyon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm

I would trade him the first chance I have for anybody of value. He's basically a bigger + taller + fatter version of Nick Young at this point.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#97 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Halcyon wrote:I would trade him the first chance I have for anybody of value. He's basically a bigger + taller + fatter version of Nick Young at this point.

I agree that he plays like Nick Young right now, but I'm not convinced that he can't get better. Nick Young wasn't the brightest bulb, and he had a learning disorder. He was always going to be a bit of a liability with respect to making decisions and running complicated plays. There was little reason to believe that he would ever get much better.

Seraphin started basketball later in life. His problem is a lack of experience rather than an inability to learn. Also, Seraphin, like Young, is a pretty good man defender, but unlike Young, he has shown signs of being decent in help defense as well. Finally, big men with his foot speed and shooting touch don't exactly grow on trees. The fundamental skills are there. They just need to be harnessed properly.

I really think Seraphin can pan out to be a very good offensive player and will eventually become capable of handling double teams and making the right decisions. My greatest concern is his rebounding. My general impression is that players rarely improve their rebounding habits all that much. They may get stronger (which was never an issue with Seraphin) but their instincts don't improve.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#98 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 am

nate33 wrote:
Halcyon wrote:I would trade him the first chance I have for anybody of value. He's basically a bigger + taller + fatter version of Nick Young at this point.

I agree that he plays like Nick Young right now, but I'm not convinced that he can't get better. Nick Young wasn't the brightest bulb, and he had a learning disorder. He was always going to be a bit of a liability with respect to making decisions and running complicated plays. There was little reason to believe that he would ever get much better.

Seraphin started basketball later in life. His problem is a lack of experience rather than an inability to learn. Also, Seraphin, like Young, is a pretty good man defender, but unlike Young, he has shown signs of being decent in help defense as well. Finally, big men with his foot speed and shooting touch don't exactly grow on trees. The fundamental skills are there. They just need to be harnessed properly.

I really think Seraphin can pan out to be a very good offensive player and will eventually become capable of handling double teams and making the right decisions. My greatest concern is his rebounding. My general impression is that players rarely improve their rebounding habits all that much. They may get stronger (which was never an issue with Seraphin) but their instincts don't improve.

The thing is, it's been easier to overlook Seraphin's rebounding deficiencies and lack of FTs because we have Okafor and Nene covering for him. Imagine if we still had Mcgee and Vesely starting, we would be the worst rebounding team. Like Nivek always says, if you take enough shots, you cans score a lot of points. Until he starts shooting over 50% from the floor and getting at least 4 fts a game, and averaging 8 rebs, he has no place in the future of this team. It's funny how the same people that hate Crawford's game, turn around and back this ball hog.
hands11
Banned User

Post#99 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... n-seraphin

Been a while since he has had a 10 rebounds game.

Look over his game log. He was on a tear at one point. 3 ten rebound games in a row and 4 in 6 games.

2 of those games where wins. One against Miami the other against Portland. 1 was a 1 pts lose to ATL
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#100 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:
nate33 wrote:

The thing is, it's been easier to overlook Seraphin's rebounding deficiencies and lack of FTs because we have Okafor and Nene covering for him. Imagine if we still had Mcgee and Vesely starting, we would be the worst rebounding team. Like Nivek always says, if you take enough shots, you cans score a lot of points. Until he starts shooting over 50% from the floor and getting at least 4 fts a game, and averaging 8 rebs, he has no place in the future of this team. It's funny how the same people that hate Crawford's game, turn around and back this ball hog.

I'm not defending Seraphin's production. Believe me, I am not impressed by his scoring given his lack of efficiency. I'm just saying that Seraphin has some impressive skills. He has a sweet hook shot with either hand. He shoots an extremely high percentage (for a big man) from 16-23 feet. He has quick feet and a strong, low center of gravity on defense. If he could effectively utilize all these tools, he'd be a very good player. And given his lack of basketball experience, I think it's imprudent to give up on him.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#101 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm not defending Seraphin's production. ... He shoots an extremely high percentage (for a big man) from 16-23 feet. He has quick feet and a strong, low center of gravity on defense.

According to hoopdata, the average FG% for a big (PF or C) from 16-23 feet is .385. Seraphin this season: .339.

He did shoot better from that distance last season (.460), but on just 41 attempts. This year, he already has 124 long 2pt attempts. The break-even point on long 2pt attempts is around 42-43%. In his shot selection, he has become very Blatche-like this season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#102 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Nivek wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm not defending Seraphin's production. ... He shoots an extremely high percentage (for a big man) from 16-23 feet. He has quick feet and a strong, low center of gravity on defense.

According to hoopdata, the average FG% for a big (PF or C) from 16-23 feet is .385. Seraphin this season: .339.

He did shoot better from that distance last season (.460), but on just 41 attempts. This year, he already has 124 long 2pt attempts. The break-even point on long 2pt attempts is around 42-43%. In his shot selection, he has become very Blatche-like this season.

Basketball reference has him making 34 of 73 shots for a percentage of .466
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#103 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Wow. Something is screwy between these sites.

Code: Select all

BASKETBALL-REFERENCE                    HOOPDATA             
SERAPHIN        FG      FGA     FG%     FG      FGA     FG%
At-Rim          46      77      .597    62      96      .646
3-9FT           65      166     .392    53      115     .461
10-15FT         55      134     .410    39      90      .433
16-23FT         34      73      .466    42      124     .339

TOT             200     450     .444    196     425     .461

This is 2nd time I've come across a BIG discrepancy on shot distances between these two sites. Time for another message to Joe and Neil. Part of it clearly is that hoopdata isn't as up-to-date, but still. Those are whopping differences that make no sense.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#104 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Nivek wrote:Wow. Something is screwy between these sites.

Code: Select all

BASKETBALL-REFERENCE                    HOOPDATA             
SERAPHIN        FG      FGA     FG%     FG      FGA     FG%
At-Rim          46      77      .597    62      96      .646
3-9FT           65      166     .392    53      115     .461
10-15FT         55      134     .410    39      90      .433
16-23FT         34      73      .466    42      124     .339

TOT             200     450     .444    196     425     .461

This is 2nd time I've come across a BIG discrepancy on shot distances between these two sites. Time for another message to Joe and Neil. Part of it clearly is that hoopdata isn't as up-to-date, but still. Those are whopping differences that make no sense.

I noticed that not long ago. When Beal went on his hot streak his numbers at hoopdata didn't change. However i have a hard time believing br's numbers. I doubt Seraphin is shooting that well on long 2s. He rushes a lot of those shots.

Bottom line is that he rarely gets dunks/layups/foul shots which kills his efficiency. On the other hand there are few bigs in the NBA who can shoot a jump hook with either hand as well as he does. Very strange case.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I've pinged Joe and Neil to encourage them to work out whatever the discrepancy is. It undercuts the credibility of both to have such significant differences. If it was a shot or two, no biggie. But we're talking roughly 60% difference on the number of long 2pt attempts. Someone's programming is messed up.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

hands11
Banned User

Post#106 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 am

SAC

Though lose and Kevin made a couple of :roll: plays.

But I saw two nice power post moves. I just wish I could post that more then once every 8 games.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#107 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm

He seems to be trying to add a drop step which would certainly help him get more high percentage looks. Baby steps i guess.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#108 » by BigA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Nivek wrote:

I bet most of those long 2s are desperation shots at the end of the clock. I'd give him a pass.
gordito
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#109 » by gordito » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 pm

nuposse04 wrote:I still love Seraphin but this was posted on extremeskins, and is **** hysterical

Dude, that's hilarious. Great find. :lol:
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#110 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 pm

gordito wrote:

Dude, that's hilarious. Great find. :lol:

OMG that's too funny! :lol:

Return to Washington Wizards